/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How can you call yourself "Muslim"...

1989_2008
09-18-2008, 11:04 AM
What is a Muslim? I don't mean for this post to sound offensive... I'm genuinely curious.
I've got Muslim friends who are so different from one another.

-One actually says she supports the Taleban because she's Muslim, another says he's 100% against the taleban because they're not Muslim.
-One calls herself Muslim, but as she's bisexual other Muslim friends of mine say she's not Muslim.
-One friend of mine likes to eat pork and calls himself Muslim, but other friends say he's not a Muslim because of pork.

:?:enough!::?:enough!::?

I have a Muslim dad, but it's because of these kinds of differences that until now I haven't put myself into the Muslim "category", as I find it hard to see what group that is if everyone's denouncing each other, lol!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
09-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Thread Approved

Sahabiyaat
09-18-2008, 12:10 PM
What takes you out of Islam is very controversial, and with people shouting kaafir! if you sneeze the wrong way, it is confusing!:?

i would say youre either a good muslim, a struggling muslim, a bad muslim, a totally evil muslim, and then out of Islam.

Im sorry, i really dont have the Shariah knowledge to anwser your question. :-[

------
09-18-2008, 12:16 PM
:salamext:

My opinion:

A Muslim is someone who says; "I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and I bear witness that Muhammad (sallallaahu alayhi wasallam) is His Slave and His Messenger."

and

He believes and acts on the 5 pillars of Islaam (Declaration of faith, prayer, charity, fasting, pilgrimage) and believes in the 6 pillars of Imaan:

1: To believe in Allah
2: His angels
3: His Books
4: His Messengers
5: The Last Day
6: Divine Destiny

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Re.TiReD
09-18-2008, 12:17 PM
^^ edit..same thing sorry

Malaikah
09-18-2008, 12:19 PM
For God's sake, I don't know what kind of people you hang around with!!!

Firstly, just because a person doesn't like what the Taliban do - doesn't mean the Taliban are not Muslim. Unless they do something specific that takes them out of Islam (like worship an idol), they ARE Muslim and no one has the right to say otherwise!

As for the bisexual friend, she is a Muslim! Sinning does not take a person out of Islam. One way that she might (notice the word MIGHT) be considered non-Muslim is if she were to consider that being bisexual and having a sexual relationship with another woman is permissible. That is because it is like saying the Quran or the Prophet, and therefore Allah, got it wrong - as if a person can say they know more than Allah!

And as for the pork - again he is a Muslim - albeit a sinning one - if he only eats pork while acknowledging that it is wrong for him to do so. If he believes eating pork is permissible that could be a belief that takes him out of Islam because he is directly contradicting God.

It is sad an amazing that the people you have come across are so quick to accuse other Muslims of being non-Muslim. I've never came across someone like that - let alone many people.

I hope that's been of some help. Please feel free to ask if you don't understand.

truemuslim
09-18-2008, 02:29 PM
sis when you learn about a religion, you DON'T look at the people, you look at the religion itself. People have high faith in islam, and low faith in islam, people divide each other into sects, which is stupid, so thats why true muslims consider themselves part of NO sect. Just Islam.
Some people are still going step by step, still committing haram, but they're practicing, it is a challenge for every one.
You should really stay on the forum and study the religion of Islam, follow it in the RIGHT way its supposed to be, not the way other people follow it.

Zafran
09-18-2008, 03:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
For God's sake, I don't know what kind of people you hang around with!!!

Firstly, just because a person doesn't like what the Taliban do - doesn't mean the Taliban are not Muslim. Unless they do something specific that takes them out of Islam (like worship an idol), they ARE Muslim and no one has the right to say otherwise!

As for the bisexual friend, she is a Muslim! Sinning does not take a person out of Islam. One way that she might (notice the word MIGHT) be considered non-Muslim is if she were to consider that being bisexual and having a sexual relationship with another woman is permissible. That is because it is like saying the Quran or the Prophet, and therefore Allah, got it wrong - as if a person can say they know more than Allah!

And as for the pork - again he is a Muslim - albeit a sinning one - if he only eats pork while acknowledging that it is wrong for him to do so. If he believes eating pork is permissible that could be a belief that takes him out of Islam because he is directly contradicting God.

It is sad an amazing that the people you have come across are so quick to accuse other Muslims of being non-Muslim. I've never came across someone like that - let alone many people.

I hope that's been of some help. Please feel free to ask if you don't understand.
I agree thats a great post.

Re.TiReD
09-18-2008, 08:49 PM
:salamext:

There was a car....It was a Beamer, a red one. It was buff but it crashed. Who is to blame? The driver or the car?

You see a Muslim, one who isnt very practising, one who is most likely confused, one who gives a bad impression of Muslims and Islam. Who or what is at fault? The Muslim or Islam?

Blame the driver not the car, likewise blame the Muslim, not Islam.

Go back to the original teachings of Allah (swt), take the Shahaadah as a starting point and you'll be confused no more.

WassalamuAlaykum

gladTidings
09-18-2008, 09:13 PM
^ I agree with Jolie.

You need to stop looking at the 'muslims' around you and try to look into Islam for what it truly is. Only then you can decide whether you want to call yourself a muslim or not.

1989_2008
06-17-2009, 02:05 PM
That bit about the taliban worries me a bit, but I understand what you mean, and I suppose no matter how bad someone is you can never judge as far as saying they're not this-or-that.

Thanks for your reply Malaikah... sorry for the time taken to thank u all, I forgot my username for nearly a year, lol.

Tony
06-17-2009, 02:39 PM
this thread is a good reminder to us all, its enough to be coscerned about our own emaan without worrying about our brothers

doorster
06-17-2009, 02:50 PM
hello
format_quote Originally Posted by 1989_2008
That bit about the taliban worries me a bit, but I understand what you mean, and I suppose no matter how bad someone is you can never judge as far as saying they're not this-or-that.

Thanks for your reply Malaikah... sorry for the time taken to thank u all, I forgot my username for nearly a year, lol.
http://www.islamicboard.com/arabic/1...ml#post1168152

I will soon be adding definition of "Muslim" which will answer your question from first post of this thread

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.