/* */

PDA

View Full Version : giving money to charity since when is bad thing?

AnonymousPoster
09-19-2008, 10:51 AM
:sl:
i recently sponsored a child, a little girl from africa i am giving 15 pounds a month.

today my mum said is a waste of money and how can i give money to a stranger when my own family needs it. ( i have relatives in africa)

i am confused i try to do a good thing but my mum is turning it around saying that is haram to give to others when ur own family is suffering:cry:

i always through she would send them money i am confused now i was proud of myself but now i just feel like an idiot.:cry:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
09-20-2008, 07:25 AM
:sl: respected sr/br
How can you feel bad over a good deed you have done?
No money you give for the sake of Allah is ever wasted.. I have actually shared stories here before, of how no amount you give is ever really lost or decreases from your income.. This is actually our duty, to take care of those less fortunate... it is a test to be able to give, just like it is a test and trying times for those who take.. imagine how much better it is to be the hand that gives than the hand that receives?

I am surprised by your mom's rxn really, but what concerns me more, is when you give for the sake of Allah-- your left hand shouldn't know what your right hand has given.....

so chin up and I pray to Allah swt, that you keep doing this while you can..
for some reason the more money people have the lesser their compassion.. we ask Allah swt to never take away our ability to empathize ..

little constant is better than alot which is scarce... and no one really needs to know how your spending in charity...
with that in mind 'al awraboon awala bel'ma3roof' in other words if you have an orphan or indigent in your immediate or extended family, it is best to take care of them first..
and Allah knows best

:w:

Malaikah
09-20-2008, 07:40 AM

It seems that your mum isn't upset that you are giving charity - what seems to have upset her is that your are helping this stranger in need, but not helping your relatives who are apparently also in need.

It's is true that people related you have a greater right over your charity, but that doesn't mean you can't give to others as well.

doorster
09-20-2008, 09:11 AM
Charity begins at home, then neighbourhood, then further afield

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AnonymousPoster
09-20-2008, 04:04 PM
:sl: ^ yES it does and thats why i have no problem giving money to my family, i have done so before and i do it again, why should you only give to your family when you can also help others in need.

AnonymousPoster
09-20-2008, 04:06 PM
but what concerns me more, is when you give for the sake of Allah-- your left hand shouldn't know what your right hand has given.....
the money i am giving is being taken away from my bank account so of course i know how much it is.

thanks for your advice

doorster
09-20-2008, 04:21 PM
wa alaikum Salaam
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
:sl: ^ yES it does and thats why i have no problem giving money to my family, i have done so before and i do it again, why should you only give to your family when you can also help others in need.
I do not see anyone saying "give it to your family" if family wants a new television versus a neighbour sleeping hungry, choice is clear innay?

regarding your reply to Sr.skye: I dont understand that either (your reply that is not hers)

at the end of day you can do with your money as you please. you are the one making anoucements on the web, since it is an open forum, all and sudry are entitled to post

ma'asalaama

edit:
the money i am giving is being taken away from my bank account so of course i know how much it is
left and right hand thing means that no third party should know what you've given and to whom

AnonymousPoster
09-21-2008, 10:16 AM
at the end of day you can do with your money as you please. you are the one making anoucements on the web, since it is an open forum, all and sudry are entitled to post
i MADE this topic because i needed help not to show of Subxanallah
try to make excuses for your fellow muslims.

Anyways this topic can now be closed thanks you very very much for all your help I always know i can rely on my fellow muslims.

Things have been sorted out with my mother Alhamdullah. :)

Topic can be closed

Malaikah
09-21-2008, 10:19 AM

I'm glad things worked out with your mum. :)

AnonymousPoster
09-21-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm glad things worked out with your mum.
Jazakallah kheir i am happy about that too, thanks :statisfie

noorseeker
09-21-2008, 10:27 AM
charity begins at home, but does that count if you live in uk. no ones actually starving here

AnonymousPoster
09-21-2008, 10:28 AM
:sl: ^ lool is true family does begin at home but if you are able is good to give others too, why not both ey?:D

'Abd-al Latif
09-24-2008, 12:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
i recently sponsored a child, a little girl from africa i am giving 15 pounds a month.

today my mum said is a waste of money and how can i give money to a stranger when my own family needs it. ( i have relatives in africa)

i am confused i try to do a good thing but my mum is turning it around saying that is haram to give to others when ur own family is suffering:cry:

i always through she would send them money i am confused now i was proud of myself but now i just feel like an idiot.:cry:
It's not a waste of money, because your reward lies with Allah. And the 'stranger' is the stranger in Islam (i.e. your brother or sister)...Islam began as something strage, and it will return to being something strange, so give glad tidings to the strangers (hadith of the Prophet saaws).However, It is recommended for the Muslim to give charities to his relatives and neighbours rather then other people, the Prophet (saaws) said:

Giving charity to the poor is to be recorded as a charity (in reward) and giving it to one's kinship is to be recorded as two (rewards): a charity and an act of maintaining the ties of kindship. (Related by all five compliers of hadith and other compilers)

And in Bukhari and Muslim the same hadith but with a slightly as "...Two rewards: A reward for maintaining the ties of kinship and a reward for giving charity" (Bukhari 1466 and Muslim 2315)

w/salam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.