/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Does one have the complete ability to choose to follow or not?

A_Way_Of_Life
09-19-2008, 05:46 PM
As-salam-al-akum wa-rahmat-Allah-wa-baraqatu

Praise be to Allah

Peace and blessings be upon the Messenger of Allah

I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place, I don't know where this should go, if this is in the wrong place, then I hope the mods can move it to it's correct place. :)

I am a bit confused. Once a person knows about Islam, he is held accountable if he does not accept it. I have seen some people say it is Allah (SWT) who chose them to become Muslim or if a person did not become a Muslim it was because it was not the will of Allah (SWT) to guide them, or it is Allah (SWT) alone who changes them. Does a person have the complete ability to choose Islam or is it Allah alone who decides who believes and who disbelieves?

I know Allah (SWT) guides whom he wills but I always thought those verses meant that Allah guides those who want to be guided, and that if a person wants guidance then he/she has to strive for it.

My question is, does a person have the complete ability to chose to follow the religion of Allah (SWT) or does Allah (SWT) influence a persons choice for some reason known only to him? If it was Allah (SWT) who made a non-Muslim not accept Islam then why would he/she be punished?

I am a bit confused, I hope some one here can clear up my confusion, InshaAllah.

May Allah guide us all on the right path!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
09-19-2008, 05:51 PM
:wasalamex

I know Allah (SWT) guides whom he wills but I always thought those verses meant that Allah guides those who want to be guided, and that if a person wants guidance then he/she has to strive for it.
You thought correct.

My question is, does a person have the complete ability to chose to follow the religion of Allah (SWT) or does Allah (SWT) influence a persons choice for some reason known only to him? If it was Allah (SWT) who made a non-Muslim not accept Islam then why would he/she be punished?
You answered your question yourself bro; If a person sincerely is looking for the truth, Allaah Will guide them InshaaAllaah. How dyou think people revert/convert to Islaam? All because of Allaah's guidance, and because they look for the truth =)

truemuslim
09-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Yes you will!

A_Way_Of_Life
09-19-2008, 05:58 PM
Ok, thanks for the reply, I understand now. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umar001
09-19-2008, 06:27 PM
As Salaamu Alaykum,

Every person who will go into hell will be punished for what they chose to do. Read surah 67: verses 6-10, the people will be asked did a warner not come and they will reply, go read it akhi.

But people attribute guidance or lack of to Allah, there is no power or might by him, we cannot guide people in that way, 28:56!

Also we should remember, Wa maa ta shaaaaaa una Illaa An ya shaaa Allah.

But you cannot will, unless Allah wills.
Look at surah 76:30 and Surah 81 the last 5 or so verses.

And Allah knows best.

truemuslim
09-19-2008, 06:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
As Salaamu Alaykum,

Every person who will go into hell will be punished for what they chose to do. Read surah 67: verses 6-10, the people will be asked did a warner not come and they will reply, go read it akhi.

But people attribute guidance or lack of to Allah, there is no power or might by him, we cannot guide people in that way, 28:56!

Also we should remember, Wa maa ta shaaaaaa una Illaa An ya shaaa Allah.

But you cannot will, unless Allah wills.
Look at surah 76:30 and Surah 81 the last 5 or so verses.

And Allah knows best.
:statisfie Jazakallah khair brother!!! (even tho it werent to me) :statisfie:statisfie

Umar001
09-19-2008, 06:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
thats what i sorta asked before and lemme tell ya something. you wil NOT get your answer...

now think positive :)
In which thread did you ask this before? I will post what I have read if you want in that thread?

alcurad
09-19-2008, 06:40 PM
humans are here so that they can be tested, where is the testing if Allah makes the choice for you,rather you are making a decision.

truemuslim
09-19-2008, 06:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
In which thread did you ask this before? I will post what I have read if you want in that thread?
i dont even remember. one of dem confused threads.
Doesnt matter you out of the many people of LI have finally answered one of my many questions with a answer that doesnt cause more questions and it doesnt leave u clueless :statisfie
Jazakallah khair!!

A_Way_Of_Life
09-19-2008, 06:55 PM
I myself have many questions. :exhausted

The reason why I came here and registered here in the first place was to ask those questions, but I can get kind of shy when I ask so many questions. :nervous:

truemuslim
09-19-2008, 07:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by A_Way_Of_Life
I myself have many questions. :exhausted

The reason why I came here and registered here in the first place was to ask those questions, but I can get kind of shy when I ask so many questions. :nervous:
dont worry bro feel free to ask anything about anything bcuz they already used to my millions and millions of questions :D

A_Way_Of_Life
09-19-2008, 07:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
dont worry bro feel free to ask anything about anything bcuz they already used to my millions and millions of questions :D

LOL I am so filled with questions, sometimes I have a hard time saying the question right :P
I feel so lost right now. :cry:

I always wonder if it is ever too late for me to be guided and forgiven, I feel I am too lost to return. :(

------
09-20-2008, 10:23 AM
:salamext:

^ Bro the best thing to increase your faith/imaan is ask questions so you can understand. It's never too late bro, never. Allaah is ALWAYS there.

Umar001
09-20-2008, 01:06 PM
As Salaamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

TrueMuslim and Way Of Life,

The cure for doubt is knowledge. And knowledge is important. Look at what Allah says (the interpretation of the meaning);

So know La Ilaha Illallah and ask forgiveness...
Muhammad:19

Also look;

And Allaah has brought you out from the wombs of your mothers while you know nothing. And He gave you hearing, sight, and hearts that you might give thanks.
Nahl:78

Everyone needs knowledge, we have to seek it. So do not be ashamed about asking, also read the result of knowledge;

It is only those who have knowledge among His slaves that fear Allaah
Faatir;28

This is the consequence of knowledge.

"....so make the intention by seeking knowledge, the removal of ignorance from yourself and from others, and with that you acquire the fear of Allaah, subhanahu wa ta ala..."

Shaykh 'Uthaymeen: Kitab ul Ilm translation into English.

Here are some tips, formulate a question in a good manner, listen to/read carefully the answers.

And Allah, the most High, the Creator and Sustainer, knows best.

A_Way_Of_Life
09-20-2008, 06:55 PM
As-salam-alakum wa-rahmat-Allah-wa-barakatu

Al Habeshi and Serene - Thanks for the tips. :)

My second question is, weather we are decreed to be guided by Allah (SWT) or not, should we just try the best we can to follow the religion of Allah (SWT) to the best of our ability?

truemuslim
09-20-2008, 07:43 PM
lol but u always told me my faith will go lower if i ask alot of questions...

A_Way_Of_Life
09-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Salam

I just want to see if I know the concept of Qadr, inshallah.

The eternal knowledge of Allah (SWT)- Allah (SWT) knows everyone's future, he knows what everyone will do and where they will end up in the end. He wrote it all in a Book.

Nothing is out side the will of Allah (SWT)- If a person is able to do something it is only because Allah (SWT) allowed him to do it, correct?
A human being can make choices and if he does what he chooses it is only because Allah (SWT) has given him permission to do it, right?

Human beings and responsibility - Human beings can choose to believe or disbelieve, if he chooses to believe it is because Allah (SWT) let him believe, and if a person chooses to disbelieve it is because Allah (SWT) let them disbelieve.

Conclusion-
Allah does not force anyone to believe or Disbelieve, he gives a person the ability to choose, if they carry out their intention it is only because Allah (SWT) let them.

So is this the meaning of "You shall not believe unless Allah wills", in other words does it mean "You can pick your path but you will not succeed unless Allah (SWT) allows you to".

So when we say if "Allah wills", do we mean if Allah (SWT) allows us?
If I said anything wrong, may Allah (SWT) forgive me

Correct me if I said anything wrong. :)

Allah (SWT) knows best

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.