/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Buying expensive things?

jimbo123
09-21-2008, 02:20 PM
What is Islam's stance on spending money on expensive items?

Let's say I want to buy an Audi car... If I pay my Zakaat and earn money through lawful means will I be punished for spending money on this car? As long as I don't do it to show off right?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
09-21-2008, 02:31 PM
:salamext:

This is my opinion: (I think these are the 2 main opinions in Islam)

1- If you have the money and you pay your zakat and you don't show off, you can buy what you want.

2- On the other hand, we should be living in this world as we are travelling and we are just passing by in this world, and taking rest under a tree. We should be content with little provisions, or even low status items, e.g. instead of a ferrari, buy a micra - still takes you to where you want to go, etc.

Musaafirah
09-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Sorry am not of much help, but a Hadith comes to mind, the meanig of which is that the Poor will enter Jannah 40 years ahead of the rich...

jimbo123
09-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Jazakallah.

To add to that... I saw on TV Dr Zakir Naik was saying if we buy something because it'll make us be better muslims we are allowed to do it. For example air conditioning in a study may help us study harder.

Regarding showing off though, the thing I'm confused about is clothing. On Eid, Jummuah and weddings Allah wants us to look our best. So what is the difference between showing off and looking your best?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ali.
09-21-2008, 02:45 PM
This answers your question in an indirect way:

1. It is not permissible to buy a house with money from haraam sources.

2. There is no reward for simply building a house, but if the owner intends to shelter his family and protect them from heat and cold, he will be rewarded for his intention, not just for the house itself.

3. It is not permissible for a Muslim to build or buy a house with the intention of boasting and showing off, and if he does that then he is sinning.

4. There is no reason why the house should not have a pool or garden, but that is subject to the condition that it should not be extravagance or going to extremes with regard to the size and price of the house. A spacious house is a joy to its owner.
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/101903/buy...ensive%20items

So you've said you intend not to show off, and you pay your zakat, and from what that source tells me, it seems OK for you to buy the car :).

jimbo123
09-21-2008, 02:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafir
Sorry am not of much help, but a Hadith comes to mind, the meanig of which is that the Poor will enter Jannah 40 years ahead of the rich...
ohh!

Ali.
format_quote Originally Posted by jimbo123
Regarding showing off though, the thing I'm confused about is clothing. On Eid, Jummuah and weddings Allah wants us to look our best. So what is the difference between showing off and looking your best?
Your intention. :)

Allah will not call you to account for that which is unintentional in your oaths, but He will call you to account for that which your hearts have earned. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most-Forbearing.
{2:225}

Musaafirah
My personal opinion,
Showing off, is for the sake of trying to get others to either be jealous or look at you green with envy..and not for the sake of Allah (SWT)
However, looking your best, is where you intend to do so for the sake of Allah (SWT) and yourself..
So, I guess it differs in intention..
Allahu A'lam..

------
09-21-2008, 02:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.
Your intention. :)

Allah will not call you to account for that which is unintentional in your oaths, but He will call you to account for that which your hearts have earned. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most-Forbearing.
{2:225}
:salamext:

Yup, what I was gonna say.

jimbo123
09-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Jazakallah for the responses!

It really is difficult though. Most of the time I like to look my best just for the sake of it, it's what Allah would want. But there are times when I think, "Wow I can't wait to see what such and such person's reaction will be". I bought this really nice watch mainly for my own pleasure but there are times when I enjoy hearing people's compliments.

Okay what about bodybuilding? Let's say I'm looking to get married and I take up bodybuilding to make myself more attractive to a potential wife. I'll add that it's a good old fashioned proposal where I'm surrounded by hers and my family. Is this allowed?

Sahabiyaat
09-21-2008, 05:39 PM
yeh i would say thats allowed, atleast your bothered and dont want to look like a pudgy,sweaty,couch patato:X. I'd say thats reason good enuf!

jimbo123
09-21-2008, 10:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat
yeh i would say thats allowed, atleast your bothered and dont want to look like a pudgy,sweaty,couch patato:X. I'd say thats reason good enuf!
lol!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.