/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Written warning for keeping a beard!

soldierofallah_
09-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Salaam,

I am a 17 year old muslim working at Mcdonalds. Recently i have decided to keep a beard, just a short one, and had been growing it for 4 weeks. Just today i was given a written warning about keeping one. I find this ridiculous as i had not been warned or giving a beard net which i wouldnt have mind wearing. I told them hundereds of times, there is nothing wrong with keeping a beard and i did it due to my religion. But i was ignored..Could anyone please tell me as to what i can do. Also i must tell you all as a muslim brother that mcdonalds fish fillets, fish fingers and veggies are haraam as they are cooked in the same oil as the chicken nuggest and chicken legends. I have told the managers many times about this but still they continue making them.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mikayeel
09-21-2008, 10:46 PM
WaAlykumAlsalaam :)

Thread approved

What country u in bro if u dnt mind me asking?

doorster
09-21-2008, 11:02 PM
you are upset at their health code (probably a dress code since beard nets can be worn) but instead you should mind working in a haraam food restaurant (assuming its location is in non-Muslim country)?

Could anyone please tell me as to what i can do.
Leave and get a halal job?
Also i must tell you all as a muslim brother that mcdonalds fish fillets, fish fingers and veggies are haraam as they are cooked in the same oil as the chicken nuggest and chicken legends. I have told the managers many times about this but still they continue making them.
quite a few of us already know that >> health-science/54309-7.html but alas many others do not believe us

WomanOfJihad
09-21-2008, 11:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by soldierofallah_
Salaam,

I am a 17 year old muslim working at Mcdonalds. Recently i have decided to keep a beard, just a short one, and had been growing it for 4 weeks. Just today i was given a written warning about keeping one. I find this ridiculous as i had not been warned or giving a beard net which i wouldnt have mind wearing. I told them hundereds of times, there is nothing wrong with keeping a beard and i did it due to my religion. But i was ignored..Could anyone please tell me as to what i can do. Also i must tell you all as a muslim brother that mcdonalds fish fillets, fish fingers and veggies are haraam as they are cooked in the same oil as the chicken nuggest and chicken legends. I have told the managers many times about this but still they continue making them.
Hmm brother if i was you i wud have quit the job the moment they gave me the written warning. we gotta have a positive attitude. we gotta show them wen it comes to pointing fingers at our religion n our faith we r not in need of them. so if i was you i wud have Quit to PROVE them wen it comes to RELIGION we r not in NEED of them or their job. if they can insult us in such manners m sure we can insult them by walkin out on them freely n proudly.
And i m sure u can work in a beter place rather than MCdonalds inshallah
did u know Mcdonalds was haram?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
H@fiz Aziz
09-21-2008, 11:24 PM
they not gonna listen to you trust me if you can get a halal job instead of a haram one

SubhanAllah!
09-22-2008, 03:02 AM
as salaamu alaykum wa rehmatullahi wa barakatuh,

You should make arrangements to leave this job for a halal one as mentioned in other responses.

I would like to also mention that you should leave on a positive note with good attitude, patience and respect. Why? Even though you were wronged, maybe your kind words will spark something in the hearts of the people who work there and lead them to Islam. This man left his source of income for a beard? Why? I want to investigate this 'Islam'. This might be their response. We could only hope and pray that everyone comes to siraat al mustaqeem.

We should try and be aware of these things.

wa alaykum as salaam

coddles76
09-22-2008, 03:21 AM
Salaam,

Asalam Alykum Brother,

Here is my advice brother and I take the advice of our past righteous guiders that we must always look at both sides of the fence. If in fact they have asked you to remove your beard for health concerns and for the benefit of there customers then they have a right to ask you to remove it. You right is to counter that health concern by offering to wear a net (Which you have) and if they have still asked you to remove your beard then you must approach them in a civil and correct manner not degrading your character and the righteous character of the muslim by informing them that you have fulfilled your obligations to there health requests and that they should now respect your obligations to your creator and Deen. If they fail to embrace your approach then leave them and speak words of wisdom to which is better. Your duties is to your creator and to whom we will return. If you do things in the cause of Allah SWT, Allah SWT will replace it with something that is better.
And Allah SWT knows best

BlackMamba
09-22-2008, 05:48 AM
If ur in America, cant u just sue them. Lol.

truemuslim
09-22-2008, 02:46 PM
^ i was bout to say that.
just sue them, for real.
sue them for racism and stupidity.

before u do that ask them if theyv noticed ther wild hair on ther head, face, hands, and nails+o(
it doesnt have to be true, just say that to offend them.
then theyll fight back. then you'll tell em something like "yo ima take yo somfin to court! " then sue them :)

IbnAbdulHakim
09-22-2008, 02:47 PM
if it goes against their hygiene policies then respect that and find another job in my honest opinion

assalamu alaikum

aadil77
09-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Salaam,

I work at mcdonalds and I have a beard, do they know you're muslim - you are allowed to have one for religious reasons, but you have to where a hairnet around it. I'm guessing you're managers must be racist

Where do you work?

And how are the fish and vegies haraam, they're cooked in seperate fryer vats where I work

UmmSqueakster
09-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Having worked at McDonalds in my youth, even I, a female, knew that if a man had facial hair they had to wear a beard net.

Before you make a change to your apperance like that, you should have talked with your managers. In high school, I was planning on shaving my head in support of a classmate who had lost all her hair to cancer. I spoke about it with my managers first, to make sure that was ok within the uniform policies.

When I worked food service in college, before I started to wear hijab, I told my managers when I decided to put it on. That way it wasn't a shock, and they could make sure that it did the same job as a hairnet/hat.

You didn't say what options they have given you now after the written warning. Find your employee manual and look up how it's suppose to go.

SixTen
09-22-2008, 05:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
I work at mcdonalds and I have a beard, do they know you're muslim - you are allowed to have one for religious reasons, but you have to where a hairnet around it. I'm guessing you're managers must be racist

Where do you work?

And how are the fish and vegies haraam, they're cooked in seperate fryer vats where I work
Indeed, the post seems inconsistant, maybe its just made as anti-western propaganda - like you know those e-mails you get to say X Y Z are haram etc when they are not.

Chuck
09-22-2008, 06:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
you are upset at their health code (probably a dress code since beard nets can be worn) but instead you should mind working in a haraam food restaurant (assuming its location is in non-Muslim country)?

Leave and get a halal job? quite a few of us already know that >> health-science/54309-7.html but alas many others do not believe us
It is easier to tell to get a halal job. I've heard lot of people given this advice, when I told them, well it is not easy to get a job, why not give that lad a halal job yourself.... then they all go quiet.

Chuck
09-22-2008, 06:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SixTen
Indeed, the post seems inconsistant, maybe its just made as anti-western propaganda - like you know those e-mails you get to say X Y Z are haram etc when they are not.
I personally knew a person who said the samething. Not about the beard. That place didn't had an issue with beard, but oil they used same oil for multiple things and oil was used to cook things that were not halal. I guess that depends from place to place.

mediadave
09-22-2008, 10:23 PM

I worked in McDonalds for three years, and this is the way it should be, and usually is. But on occasion, if it was very busy, I did see the fish fryed in one of the other fryers. Its not impossible that it would happen, especially if the managers were lax.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.