/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Am I allowed not to fast in this situation?

Silver
09-22-2008, 01:01 PM
:sl:

I live in Beirut- Lebanon at the moment because that is where I go to university. I am from Tripoli which is 85 km north of Beirut and my family lives there so i visit them on weekends and then I go back to Beirut in Tuesday morning.

I wake up at 4.30 in order to take the 1st bus to Beirut because I have a class at 8.00 AM. When I get to class I am usually very sleepy and tired so I am not able to concentrate in class and I have classes till 4.30 PM.

I usually can continue my fasting till the maghreb adhan but it is hard...

Do you think it is Ok for me not to fast in this situation?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
09-23-2008, 02:26 AM
No one can make you fast.. it is a fard, ultimately between you and Allah, for your own sake..

fast isn't easy but it is a reminder to us that there are folks living like this all year round, if you see some of the Ramadan the big picture posted by Abu sayyed, you'll see children not even of legal age for this to be mandatory who are fasting, simply because they can't afford to eat, then stand all day in the heat waiting for ma'edat ar'ra7man for someone to give them charity food.. while even they consider themselves lucky as others search through the garbage for food..

The spirit of Ramadan is for many reasons, physical/ psychological/emotional -- but ultimately so you can feel one with the part of humanity that lives below poverty level.

I have had the flu for three days, and get less than three to five hour sleep on any regular day, and it is indeed hard.. but it is such a blessing on many level.. it is exactly what the body and the mind needs.. and I feel really grateful that Allah swt has allowed me to get through the day, with my own will and always find stuff to eat.. I can't help but look at these children and think, even through this, it doesn't get any more desolate than this, they manage to smile.. sob7an Allah

You can let your weakness and desires dictate to you, whether or not you should fast.. food is just one fridge away, one kitchen away, one munching non-muslim friend away... but will power is yours and you are in control of your body, your mind, your path to Allah swt...

and Allah knows best

:w:

SubhanAllah!
09-23-2008, 03:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
No one can make you fast.. it is a fard, ultimately between you and Allah, for your own sake..

fast isn't easy but it is a reminder to us that there are folks living like this all year round, if you see some of the Ramadan the big picture posted by Abu sayyed, you'll see children not even of legal age for this to be mandatory who are fasting, simply because they can't afford to eat, then stand all day in the heat waiting for ma'edat ar'ra7man for someone to give them charity food.. while even they consider themselves lucky as others search through the garbage for food..

The spirit of Ramadan is for many reasons, physical/ psychological/emotional -- but ultimately so you can feel one with the part of humanity that lives below poverty level.

I have had the flu for three days, and get less than three to five hour sleep on any regular day, and it is indeed hard.. but it is such a blessing on many level.. it is exactly what the body and the mind needs.. and I feel really grateful that Allah swt has allowed me to get through the day, with my own will and always find stuff to eat.. I can't help but look at these children and think, even through this, it doesn't get any more desolate than this, they manage to smile.. sob7an Allah

You can let your weakness and desires dictate to you, whether or not you should fast.. food is just one fridge away, one kitchen away, one munching non-muslim friend away... but will power is yours and you are in control of your body, your mind, your path to Allah swt...

and Allah knows best

Alhamdulilah! What an incredible post!

I just wanted to say that everyone should store this post on their computer or keep a print out somewhere safe to read to themselves every night of every Ramadhan. I too have difficulty concentrating in class, but InshaAllah after reading this post I will not complain tomorrow or in the future.

JazaakiAllahu khair

Malaikah
09-23-2008, 09:20 AM
:sl:

I know I must be missing something, but if you're tired or sleepy, wouldn't the logical thing be to take a nap?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
crayon
09-23-2008, 12:53 PM
^^ It could be different in Lebanon, but where I'm from napping during class is usually looked down upon... :p

Al-Zaara
09-23-2008, 01:02 PM
one munching non-muslim friend away
Or one munching non-practicing Muslim friend away...

MashaAllah, I liked your post a lot, Skye. JazakiAllah kheyr!

When I get the urges to give up, I look around me. Food is near, elhamdulillah, I have no need to think I'll die starving today. Then I look into my heart, and Emaan is there, but oh so often blurred. I know I need this, an Emaan booster, to fast and sense that I am doing something for the sake of Allah subhana we ta'ala.

Each day is not easy, sometimes harder sometimes easier, but the sensation in the evening... I always eat firstly ONE date, ONE ONLY... And I feel that's enough already. Don't misunderstand me, I do eat more, haha, but see, sometimes we think we are more tired and hungry than what we really are. Our mind is playing a trick on us. Why would I give up fasting for that one little date to eat and give up all the blessings? The days I can't fast, I feel empty. i eat my food, but remember the times I fasted and even without eating, survived the day quite well, elhamdulillah.

In the end, it is your choice, but I request you to not give up too early... There is a sweetness in the struggle itself.

Silver
09-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Hey...thx for the replies! Well I am fasting today and even though I felt tired when I got to class, the feeling soon went away and it was just like any other day :D There's still a little more than an hour left but al-7amdulillah that shouldn't be a problem and God helped me through the day.

Wassalamu 3alaykum.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.