/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Imam's wife...

Starfish
09-22-2008, 08:29 PM
As an Imam's wife, I have to decide what to do with my life in terms of work......

i'm torn inside. I'm currently looking for work....and wondering about working 40 hours per week. my husband is open to me working outside of the home. it's a struggle to find out how to make time for Islam, time for friday prayer, time for sister's halaqah...this is my struggle.

all of the imam's wives I have ever met, stay at home and have kids.....they go to the masjid, they take care of their families..they try to be the example for muslim women....but I don't know if I can live up to that ideal......

Are their imam's wives out there working 40 hours per week? or working in a fast food restaurant, or gas station.....i might have to do this

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ayan333
09-22-2008, 08:38 PM
:sl:

MashALLAG

our one luck women!

dream life for many of us Muslimahs

but no...ive never known a Imams wife working at a gas station (becuase they sell alcholol,cigars,lottery tickets..fast food resturant becuase they usually sell pork,unless your in a Islamic country

are you living in an Islamic country sis?

you could work at little clothing shops for Islamic clothing or what or so,if you really need/want a job

40 hours is alot but if thats what you have to do then...everyones situation is different so you think about if for a while InshALLAH

ask around and see what youcan find..i pretty sure theres a sister out there who has a shop you can manage for her InshALLAH

:w:

ayan333
09-22-2008, 08:39 PM
:sl:

MashALLAH

you are one luck women!

dream life for many of us Muslimahs

but no...ive never known a Imams wife working at a gas station (becuase they sell alcholol,cigars,lottery tickets..fast food resturant becuase they usually sell pork,unless your in a Islamic country

are you living in an Islamic country sis?

you could work at little clothing shops for Islamic clothing or what or so,if you really need/want a job

40 hours is alot but if thats what you have to do then...everyones situation is different so you think about if for a while InshALLAH

ask around and see what youcan find..i pretty sure theres a sister out there who has a shop you can manage for her InshALLAH

:w:

Re.TiReD
09-22-2008, 09:05 PM
I have to decide what to do with my life in terms of work......
Sis you make it sound as though a being the wife of an imaam = having to work. That isnt the case unless your circumstances are such that you have to.

all of the imam's wives I have ever met, stay at home and have kids.....they go to the masjid, they take care of their families..they try to be the example for muslim women....but I don't know if I can live up to that ideal......
SubhanAllah, sis u think that ideal is difficult? Is it easier toiling around for 40 hours a week and earning a living or is it easier staying at home and tasting the sweetness of faith and Imaan and watching ur kids grow up and raising them to be righteous lil mu'mins?

Lol that was a long question sorry :-[

Are their imam's wives out there working 40 hours per week? or working in a fast food restaurant, or gas station.....i might have to do this
Again, being an Imaams wife doesnt make you any different to anybody else, well maybe it does to an extent but that doesnt mean you have to do what other Imaams wives do...be urself and do what you have to do. Wallahu A'lam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
UmmSqueakster
09-22-2008, 09:26 PM
One of the most amazing women I've ever met is the wife of Imam Zaid Shakir. Imam Zaid does increadible work for Islam here in america, and his wife is right there by his side. Well, not in the limelight, but she does a lot of work to support him behind the scenes. She's deeply involved in running his business and travels with him often mashaAllah.

However, I think there is a difference between a nationwide figure like Imam Zaid and a more local imam. There may be pressure to conform to a certain stereotype of how a muslim woman is suppose to be, but in the end, he married a convert, and it should be up to you, not the community, to determine what your role is. I've noticed you're defining yourself in your posts as an imam's wife. Is that what is most important to you? Would you rather define yourself as someone else? Sure, I love my husband, but my primary definer isn't as his wife, it's as a believer.

Do you want to work? If so, find a job that's halal. That's advice for anyone and everyone, not just someone in the position to be a role model.

Personally, I'm working for the day when I'll be the ustadah, and then my husband will be my assistant, lol.

ayesha309
09-23-2008, 01:23 AM
Assalaam u alaikum
A friend of mine, who is a convert to Islam, (i'm not sure if you're a convert) recently married an imam. He's a pretty well known sheikh, has often been invited to conferences to speak, etc. She lives in Canada with him (the imam has been living in Canada since the 80s i think). Anyways, she used to and after marrieage, continues to work at a law firm. She is a legal advisor or something. im not sure. Aside from that, she does so much other volunteer work like helping and creating a voice for the Muslims that have been opressed or are detained witout charge, etc. She also has done and wil continue to Insha'Allah do lots of charitable work for Kashmir. Basically my point being, she is defiently not a house wife. and her husband is the imam of the masjid, graduated from Damuscus, and is a known sheikh in Canada. Her weekends she ensures are spent with her family. She doesn't have young kids so she doesn't have to worry about raising them. They are already grown up!
So you're defeinly not the first imam's wife to wrk outside of the house. but like the other sisters have suggested, make sure the job you get is a halaal job. it doesn't involve selling items such as alcohol etc. and also not to do night shifts which you may have to at gas stations for example.
and of course Allah has told us in the Holy Qur'an that the best place for a woman is inside her house. so if you can be in your house witout financial probelms, thats the best place to be :D
I hope i was of some help and not a talkative freak! lol
Assalaam u alaikum

layla is here
09-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu
I agree with the other sister who said you do not have to work outside the home but if you do then find a halal job. maybe you can do some babysitting or start a nursery if you like kids. You can take time reading quran or other stories to children in your home. just a thought :)

Makky
10-01-2008, 02:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Starfish
As an Imam's wife, I have to decide what to do with my life in terms of work......

i'm torn inside. I'm currently looking for work....and wondering about working 40 hours per week. my husband is open to me working outside of the home. it's a struggle to find out how to make time for Islam, time for friday prayer, time for sister's halaqah...this is my struggle.

mashaAllaah , cogratulations on your covertion to islam , may Allaah bless you and your family

Sister are you sure that you will find a job suitable to a muslim woman there in USA ?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.