/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Finnish school gunman kills nine at a college

Al-Zaara
09-23-2008, 03:10 PM
A gunman has killed nine people at a college in the town of Kauhajoki in Finland before shooting himself and later dying in hospital.

Media reports named the gunman as Matti Juhani Saari, in his early 20s, a trainee chef at the vocational college.
The suspect posted a video of himself firing a gun on the internet last week.

As a result of this, police interviewed him on Monday but decided they did not have enough evidence to revoke his licence, the interior minister said.
The minister, Anne Holmlund, said an investigation would now try to determine whether mistakes were made.
Prime Minister Matti Vanhanen said this was a "tragic day" for Finland. The attack echoed a shooting spree at a Finnish school last year which left nine dead, including the gunman, who had also posted an internet video.

CONTINUE READING HERE...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ali.
09-23-2008, 03:13 PM
That's terrible.

Is it legally allowed in Finland to own a gun?

Al-Zaara
09-23-2008, 03:15 PM
Yes. edit: To clarify further, most guns owned in Finland are actually for hunting purposes. Handguns are rarer. You can get the license by for example joining an hunting or shooting club.

Even a 15-year-old can obtain the license if given a very valid reason, though very very rare, not sure it has even happened.

This is the second school-shooting in Finland. The first happened in November 2007.

Keltoi
09-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Finland is just behind the United States and Yemen in gun ownership. Primarily because it is a hunting culture, much like the U.S.

Sad story. Sounds like another in a long line of Columbine copy cats.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al-Zaara
09-23-2008, 03:25 PM
Yeah, gun ownership is quite liberal here, though gun violence is rare.

edit: Now there are 11 dead.. SubhanAllah... :(

Ali.
09-23-2008, 03:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
Yes.
That's terrible. So it's only US, Finland & Yemen who are allowed to own guns. They should think of changing that in my opinion. Even if there are only rare attacks, a life is a life; priceless.

Al-Zaara
09-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Actually, after the first school shooting there have been debates about changing the gun-law... We'll see what happens.

------
09-23-2008, 03:31 PM
:salamext:

*aghast* no no no i didnt mean kool like that!! wallaahi!! i mean owning the gun bit!! never mind... :-[

ON TOPIC: This is very sad imsad

Güven
09-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Thats Awful
even If they are allowed or not People Still carry Guns..

truemuslim
09-23-2008, 03:43 PM
who acually listens to the law??? everyone carries guns, if u want a gun go to the shop and steal/buy one, in any country,
but here is my crappy opinion.
its the gun problem period. weapons of from wimps which is why theyr all over the world, which means wimps are all over the world (not big news for you). take every weapon in the world, throw em in the mid of ocean somewhere near antarctica, whoever is willing to go down ther, good luck. and set the bombs coz bombs in water looks sooooo cute.

this will never stop thats all u gotta kno, violence is forever till death, and nothing u can do to change it, people die every day, people get sad every day, but nobody can do nothing bout it....wel they could but all the people i guess were brave enough have died.

S1aveofA11ah
09-23-2008, 08:21 PM
so obviously he wasn't a Muslim as the 'Government Political Mind Control Machine' - oooops! I mean Media (same thing really) - would have had it headlined as :

ISLAMIC TERRORIST SHOOTS INNOCENTS AT SCHOOL

ayan333
09-23-2008, 08:23 PM
:sl:

amendment 2..right to bair arms...

we should defenitiy get rid of that one

:w:

Danah
09-23-2008, 08:34 PM
awww...thats really awful
whats wrong with him shooting people then shoot himself ???

bewildred
09-23-2008, 08:38 PM
*sighs*

Maybe mimetism from the american sad records.

truemuslim
09-23-2008, 09:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SAYA
awww...thats really awful
whats wrong with him shooting people then shoot himself ???
its people who have no life, they hate school very much so they go and kill ther teachers and whoever is in ther way, but then they remember theyll go to jail so they decide theyll shoot themselves, but then they say "oh might as well" and kill as many people as they can, when they hear the sirens, they end emselves :D simple.
this world is sick.
May allah bless all the muslimeen, and inshallah prevent all violence from this world, no matter how impossible we think it is.

Afraa
09-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Subhanallah, all those poor people. Maskin.

Mawaddah
09-23-2008, 10:19 PM

Inna lillah wa inna ilaihi raaji'oon..What is wrong with people these days! :(

I just read this on Yahoo news and the first thought that came to my mind was " :omg: isn't that where Al-Zaara is from!!"

But alhamdulillah she's okay....

Al-Zaara
09-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Aww, you are too sweet. JazakiAllah kheyr for your concern, sis.

I am alright, I live in an another city, far away, elhamdulillah.

Suomipoika
09-24-2008, 11:49 PM
I just hope whatever the goverment ends up doing is something more than just the cosmetical "lets ban the guns". Sad truth is that Finland has ridiculously high suicide rates, especially among young males and we really need to look into why so many suffer from anxiety and depression. Actually we should have been looking into it long time ago, but its so much more easier to blame something like TV, guns, music or computer games than to really try to find the answers and do something.

format_quote Originally Posted by S1aveofA11ah
so obviously he wasn't a Muslim as the 'Government Political Mind Control Machine' - oooops! I mean Media (same thing really) - would have had it headlined as :

ISLAMIC TERRORIST SHOOTS INNOCENTS AT SCHOOL
I kinda doubt that, since once in a while finnish media is criticised going as far as leaving out important details regarding ethnicity or skincolour when describing foreign/non ethnic finn perpetrators wanted by the police. At the same time, this shooting and the one last year, media is digging everything it can from as "relevant" as dating adds to ideology. If we can dig out the ideology of the perpetrator, why would it be wrong to mention religion?

I just dont get why really sad event that has nothing to do with Islam or muslims has to be drawn into the eternal victim play, if your goal is to spread negative image of Islam and muslims, keep up the good work.

BlissfullyJaded
09-25-2008, 02:41 AM

That's tragic. imsad I saw the topic title, and went, omg, never knew that happened outside the US.

About the gun law, well in the US at least, yeah law abiding citizens won't have illegal guns, but the fact is that people like who want to do something nasty will find a way to get the gun in their possession. And considering they usually shoot themselves after, they can't suffer more consequences than that.

north_malaysian
09-25-2008, 05:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Finland is just behind the United States and Yemen in gun ownership. Primarily because it is a hunting culture, much like the U.S.

Sad story. Sounds like another in a long line of Columbine copy cats.
It's easy to obtain gun in Thailand too...:blind:

Al-Zaara
09-25-2008, 09:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Suomipoika
I just hope whatever the goverment ends up doing is something more than just the cosmetical "lets ban the guns". Sad truth is that Finland has ridiculously high suicide rates, especially among young males and we really need to look into why so many suffer from anxiety and depression. Actually we should have been looking into it long time ago, but its so much more easier to blame something like TV, guns, music or computer games than to really try to find the answers and do something.
Innit. I hope so too.

Keltoi
09-25-2008, 09:13 PM
I've always heard that the suicide rate in Scandinavian countries are much higher than in other regions of the world. I wonder why that is?

Amadeus85
09-25-2008, 09:36 PM
I've always heard that the suicide rate in Scandinavian countries are much higher than in other regions of the world. I wonder why that is?
I have never heard about it before. The weather and high taxes arent enough reasons. :X

Suomipoika
09-26-2008, 11:25 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_suicide_rate

According to wiki Finland has around 20 suicides per 100 000 people while other scandinavian countries have between 11.5 to 13.6, comparably USA has 11 suicides per 100 000 people, so it seems that its just Finland which has higher suicide rates among Scandinavia. Dont really know how accurate that is but Im surpriced to see Belgium having more suicides than Finland. Top of the list seems to be somewhat dominated by countries that were blessed with communism. That South Korea has higher suicide rates than Japan is kind of surpricing too.

Al-Zaara
09-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Finland's suicide rates (1950 - 2006)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.