/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Al- khawarij-tribulations of the end

جوري
09-23-2008, 08:16 PM
one of those interesting tribulations that seem to be arising in our time..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're browsing:
Sahih Muslim
~> The Book of Zakat (Kitab Al-Zakat)
~> Chapter 45: exhortation to kill the khwarij
Number of hadeeths in this subject: 11, showing 1 - 10
This subject's pages: 1 - 2 -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jump to hadeeth : 2328 2329 2330 2331 2332 2333 2334 2335 2336 2337
up Book 5, Chapter 45, Number 2328
Narrator:

'Ali said: Whenever I narrate to you anything from the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) believe it to be absolutely true as falling from the sky is dearer to me than that of attributing anything to him (the Holy Prophet) which he never said. When I talk to you of anything which is between me and you (there might creep some error in it) for battle is an outwitting. I heard the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) as saying: There would arise at the end of the age a people who would be young in age and immature in thought, but they would talk (in such a manner) as if their words are the best among the creatures. They would recite the Qur'an, but it would not go beyond their throats, and they would pass through the religion as an arrow goes through the prey. So when you meet them, kill them, for in their killing you would get a reward with Allah on the Day of judgmelat.
up Book 5, Chapter 45, Number 2329
Narrator:

A hadith like this has been narrated through another chain of transmitters.
up Book 5, Chapter 45, Number 2330
Narrator:

This hadith has been narrated on the authority of A'mash with the same chain of transmitters, but (these words) are not there:" They pass through the religion clean as the arrow passes through the prey."
up Book 5, Chapter 45, Number 2331
Narrator:

'Abida narrated from 'Ali that he made a mention of the Khwarij (and in this connection) said that there would be a person among them with a defective hand. (or with a short hand) or a fleshy hand. If you were to exercise restraint, I would tell you what Allah has promised to those who would kill them on the order of Mubarrmad (may peace be upon him). I (the narrator) said to him: Did you hear it from Muhammad: (may peace be upon him)? He (Hadrat 'Ali) said: Yes, by the Lord of the Ka'ba; Yes, by the Lord of the Ka'ba; yes, by the Lord of the Ka'ba.
up Book 5, Chapter 45, Number 2332
Narrator:

'Abida said: I will not narrate to you except what I heard from him (Hadrat 'Ali), and then he narrated from him.
up Book 5, Chapter 45, Number 2333
Narrator:

Zaid b. Wahb Jahani reported and he was among the squadron which wall under the command of Ali (Allah be pleased with him) and which set out (to curb the activities) of the Khwarij. 'Ali (Allah be pleased with him) said: 0 people, I heard the Messeinger of Allah (may peace be upon him) say: There would arise from my Ummah a people who would recite the Qur'an, and your recital would seem insignificant as compared with their recital, your prayer as compared with their prayer, arid your fast, as compared with their fast. They would recite the Qur'an thinking that it sup- ports them, whereas it is an evidence against them. Their prayer does not get beyond their collar bone; they would swerve through Islam just as the arrow passes through the prey. If the squadron which is to encounter them were to know (what great boon) has been assured to them by their Apostle (may peace be upon him) they would completely rely upon this deed (alone and cease to do other good deeds), and their (that of the Khwarij) distinctive mark is that there would be (among them) a person whose wrist would be without the arm, and the end of his wrist would be fleshy like the nipple of the breast on which there would be white hair. You would be marching towards Muawiya and the people of Syria and you would leave them behind among your children and your property (to do harm). By Allah, I believe that these are the people (against whom you have been commanded to fight and get reward) for they have shed forbidden blood, and raided the animals of the people. So go forth in the name of Allah (to fight against them). Salama b. Kuhail mentioned that Zaid b. Wahb made me alight at every stage, till we crossed a bridge. 'Abdullah b. Wahb al-Rasibi was at the head of the Khwarij when we encountered them. He ('Abdullah) said to his army: Throw the spears and draw out your swords from their sheaths, for I fear that they would attack you as they attacked you on the day of Harura. They went back and threw their spears and drew out their swords, and people fought against them with spears and they were killed one after another. Only two persons were killed among the people (among the army led by Hadrat 'Ali) on that day. 'Ali (Allah be pleased with him) said: Find out from among them (the dead bodies of the Khwarij) (the maimed). They searched but did not find him. 'Ali (Allah be pleased with him) then himself stood up and (walked) till he came to the people who had been killed one after another. He ('Ali) said: Search them to the last, and then ('Ali's companions) found him (the dead body of the maimed) near the earth. He (Hadrat 'Ali) then pronounced Allah-O-Akbar (Allah is the Greatest) and then said, Allah told the Truth and His Messenger (may peace be upon him) conveyed it. Then there stood before him 'Abida Salmani who said: Commander of the Believers, by Allah, besides Whom there is no god but He, (tell me) whether you heard this hadith from the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him). He said: Yes, by Allah, besides Whom there is no god but He. He asked him to take an oath thrice and he took the oath.
up Book 5, Chapter 45, Number 2334
Narrator:

'Ubaidullah b. Abu Rafi', the freed slave of the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him), said: When Haruria (the Khwarij) set out and as he was with 'Ali b. Abu Talib (Allah be pleased with him) they said," There is no command but that of Allah." Upon this 'Ali said: The statement is true but it is intentionally applied (to support) a wrong (cause). The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him described their characteristics and I found these characteristics in them. They state the truth with their tongue, but it does not go beyond this part of their bodies (and the narrator pointed towards his throat). The most hateful among the creation of Allah us one black man among them (Khwarij). One of his hand is like the teat of a goat or the nipple of the breast. When 'Ali b. Abu Talib (Allah be pleased with him) killed them, he said: Search (for his dead body). They searched for him, but they did not find it (his dead body). Upon this he said: Go (and search for him). By Allah, neither I have spoken a lie nor has the lie been spoken to me. 'Ali said this twice and thrice. They then found him (the dead body) in a rain. They brought (his dead) body till they placed it before him (Hadrat 'Ali). 'Ubaidullah said: And, I was present at (that place) when this happened and when 'Ali said about them. A person narrated to me from Ibn Hanain that he said: I saw that black man.
up Book 5, Chapter 45, Number 2335
Narrator:

Abu Dharr reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: Verily there would arise from my Ummah after me or soon after me a group (of people) who would recite the Qar'an, but it would not go beyond their throats, and they would pass clean through their religion just as the arrow passes through the prey, and they would never come back to it. They would be the worst among the creation and the creatures. Ibn Samit (one of the narrators) said: I met Rafi' b. 'Amr Ghifari, the brother of Al-Hakam Ghifari and I said: What is this hadith that I heard from Abu Dharr, i. e. so and so? -and then I narrated that hadith to him and said: I heard it from the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him).
up Book 5, Chapter 45, Number 2336
Narrator:

Yusair b. 'Amr reported that he inquired of Sahl b. Hunaif: Did you hear the Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him) making a mention of the Khwarij? He said: I heard him say (and he pointed with his hand towards the east) that these would be a people who would recite the Qur'an with their tongues and it would not go beyond their collar bones. They would pass clean through their religion just as the arrow passes through the prey.
up Book 5, Chapter 45, Number 2337
Narrator:

http://www.jannah.com/cgi-bin/librar...book=5&chap=45

another set..

There is a word of truth in what they say but their ends are devious" - Hazrat 'Ali (r.a)
The Khwarij and the Puritanical Revolt
"There will come a time when a group of people will leave our ranks. They will recite the Qur�an with fervour and passion but its spirit will not go beyond their throats. They will leave our ranks in the manner of an arrow when it shoots from its bow." - al-Hadis

by Motiur Rahman

"Are men to arbitrate in the affairs of Allah? There can be no arbitration except by Allah."
Origins
After the Battle of Hunain the Prophet (s.aw) gave preference to a number of non-Muslims when distributing the booty in order to attract them to Islam. A man named Hurqus rebuked the Prophet (s.a.w) by saying: "Be just in your distribution O Messenger of Allah." The Prophet was incensed by this remark and responded by saying: "Then who can be called just if I am not just?" To this the Prophet added: "There will come a time when a group of people will leave our ranks. They will recite the Qur�an with fervour and passion but its spirit will not go beyond their throats. They will leave our ranks in the manner of an arrow when it shoots from its bow."

The first antiestablishment tendency in Islam was instigated by a group of people known as the Khwarij in the first century of Islam during the lifetimes of the eminent Sahaba of the Prophet (s.a.w) of the likes of �Ali ibn Abu Talib (r.a.) and Mu�wayiah (r.a) amongst many others. To the Khwarij, the standard of the Sahaba were not good enough (Allah protect us from such accusations), that the Sahaba were not ruling according to the Book of Allah, that legitimate rule belongs to Allah, and that arbitration is a pre-Islamic practice. The term Khwarij (literally 'rebels') first referred to a group of dissidents who rebelled against the leadership of Hazrat 'Ali (r.a) following the Battle of Siffin (ah 37/ad 658) between Hazrat 'Ali and Mu'awiya (r.a), and later evolved into a distinct antiestablishment tendency.

Urwa ibn Udaiyya, along with 12,000 others, seceded from the party of Hazrat Ali (r.a) after the Battle of Siffin. They elected Abdullah ibn Wahb al-Rasibi and Hurqus ibn Zuhair as their leaders. Al-Rasibi was known for his fervour in reciting the Qur�an, nicknamed Dhu al-Thafanat (the one whose kneecaps appeared like two humps of a camel due to his prostration in Salaah). At the time of arbitration between Hazrat �Ali and Hazrat Mu�wayiah (r.a), Urwa ibn Udaiyya said: "Are men to arbitrate in the affairs of Allah? There can be no arbitration except by Allah." In his support he quoted the Qur�an: "The prerogative of command rests with none but Allah. He declares the truth and he is the best of judges" (6:57). Hazrat �Ali commented: �There is a word of truth in what they say but their ends are devious�.

This first group of rationalists were concerned with theological speculations, they were concerned with the nature of legitimate leadership and the conditions for salvation, and the 'status of sinners'. At this point in history, in the interpretation of the Sahaba (r.a) it was unanimously held that the Khwarij had to be tackled, by both parties of Hazrat �Ali and Hazrat Muwayia (r.a), as none considered the Muslims outside the fold of Islam except the Khwarij.

Later, from among the group of rationalists emerged another, the Qadariyya which advocated the freedom of the human will in their doctrine. Opposed to this doctrine were the Jabriyya (determinists), led by Jahm ibn Safwan (d. ah 128/ad 746), who taught that no attributes could be predicated of God except for creation, power and action, since any attribute that could be predicated of creatures was not fit to be predicated of the Creator. Jahm�s teaching went against the Qur�an and the Sunnah, Muslims hold that Allah has ninety-nine (implying endless) attributes. Also, contrary to the Qur�an and Sunnah, Jahm held the Qur�an to be created and not the literal Word of Allah.

All these rationalist groups have some characteristics in common: tawhid and �adl or God�s Oneness and Justice. In their search for tawhid and �adl reason had taken the primary position over revelation; the Mu�tazila had even gone so far as to formulate a creed based upon Greek philosophical reasoning and interpreting the Qur�an and the Sunnah in such a way to make it fit into their line of thinking contravening the apparent meanings of the primary sources of Islam, in the name of the science of ta�wil (interpretation). The Mu�tazila had claimed that reason could explain everything, that revelation were only a back-up for reason, and only through reason we can find validity and proper justification for the Divine Revelation (wahy). This rationalistic project in itself is a bida or heresy � the imposition of human concepts on Divine Justice, the understanding of God through human reasoning � was something far removed from the practise of the Sahaba (r.a) whose motto was �We hear and obey�.

Among the issues the rationalists both from the Khwarij and the Mu�tazila are concerned with is the status of the grave sinner. In this field what distinguishes the Khawarij from the Mu�tazila is that the former hold that any person who committed a grave sin automatically became a non-believer, thus forfeiting all rights and protections afforded by Islamic law, while the latter believe that such a person was in an intermediate position, being neither a Muslim nor an unbeliever. With this charge of unbelief the Khwarij and the proto-Mu�tazila even during the first century at the times of the Sahaba (r.a) have terrorized Muslims and waged war against them, plundering persons and property.

Characteristics of the Khwarij

Those who fight against the Muslims and falsely declare the Muslims as "disbelievers" (takf�r), "pagans" (tashr�k), "misguided" (tadl�l), "innovators" (tabd�`), "pantheists" (ittih�d�, hul�l�), "grave-worshippers" (qub�r�), "cultists" (turuq�), and so forth.

The following are the common between different Khwarij groups:

1) The declaration of kufr (unbelief) on the Sahaba e.g. Hazrat �Ali, Uthman, 'Amr ibn al-`As, Abu Musa al-`Ashari, Mu'awiya, and all those who consented to the process of arbitration.

2) That all perpetrators of major sins were permanently destined for hell.

3) The declaration of either kufr or shirk upon those who differed with them.

4) That it was obligatory to overthrow an oppressive ruler by force.

It is important to remember that to falsely charge a Muslim outside the fold of Islam takes one outside of Islam himself. Allah save us from such sins and accusations. Amin!

http://www.ijma.org.uk/features/khawarij.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ayan333
09-23-2008, 09:06 PM
:sl:

SubhanALLAH!!!

I heard the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) as saying: There would arise at the end of the age a people who would be young in age and immature in thought, but they would talk (in such a manner) as if their words are the best among the creatures. They would recite the Qur'an, but it would not go beyond their throats, and they would pass through the religion as an arrow goes through the prey. So when you meet them, kill them, for in their killing you would get a reward with Allah on the Day of judgmelat.

Alhamdulilah..im a relgious person but i need to start reading the translations and stories behind them

:w:

IbnAbdulHakim
09-24-2008, 12:06 PM
jizakAllaah khair

may Allaah give us tawfeeq to be upon Ahlus sunnah wal jama'ah and be truelly upon islaam...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.