/* */

PDA

View Full Version : taraweeh prayer

mano_the_cat
09-25-2008, 01:25 PM
salam to everyone

i have read different views. i just want to know that is the taraweeh prayer is obligatory or what?

i met a sister & her mother last night ... they reacted quite rudely when they came to know that i dont know how to pray taraweeh. ( im really confused how to do it at home, would prefer if someone explained it step-by-step)

they said that i was a 'half-muslim' & that my fasts wont be accepted without taraweeh?? and that there is no use fasting if not praying taraweeh.

can anyone help. im really confused. thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
roohani.doctor
09-25-2008, 08:15 PM
taraweeh prayer is not fardh, but it is a very big sunnah and to miss it without valid reason would be close to sin....i think your fasting is accepted without taraweeh but like i said, you shouldnt miss them for no reason...and you wouldnt be considered a half-muslim either just cuz you dont pray taraweeh...

taraweeh is just like any other prayer, basically you pray isha i.e.4 fardh, 2 sunnah, and then you pray 2*4 (8) OR 2*10 (20) taraweeh, and then you continue with isha (witr)...

i usually pray at home just because i get home late and am too tired to go to masjid after, praying at home is the same as prayin in the mosque, only difference is, at the masjid you are prayin behind the imam, and usually finish the whole quran, but at home you tend to recite smaller surahs and wut not..so i guess praying with the rest = more reward....

hope that helps sumwut :)

mano_the_cat
09-25-2008, 10:16 PM
thank you so much sister
yes it helps a lot ... i will try to do that.
but i wanted to ask that are we to add some extra surah in the rakahs like in the fardh or just like sunnahs??
thankyou

roohani.doctor
09-26-2008, 08:58 AM
wut do you mean, extra surahs?

you can recite wutever you wish after surah fatiha...taraweehs are prayed as 2 sunnah raka'as, so you can recite two surahs after surah fatiha (one in each raka'a)...

im sorry i didnt fully understand your question so i mite've confused you even more...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
mano_the_cat
09-26-2008, 11:46 AM
no sister you just cleared it up :)
im so thankful to you.
btw i went to taraweeh last night at the masjid
it was great ... thought the long sajda was a bit problem for breathing but rest was good :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.