/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Drawing/Painting Seperate Body parts

transition?
09-28-2008, 10:12 PM
:sl:

I picked up an old hobby, painting. I wanted to paint to a scene that would have a painting of a hand and lips/teeth smiling.

I wanted to know if I could draw those parts of the body? The answer I found was yes.
I found this:

But if the image is originally incomplete, such as a head-and-shoulders picture, etc., and there is removed from the picture that without which is could not live, then it may be understood from the comments of many of the fuqahaa’ that this is permissible, especially if there is a need for such partial pictures. Whatever the case, one has to fear Allaah as much as one can, and avoid that which Allaah and His Messenger have forbidden.
Source: http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/13633

Can I please get confirmation that I am reading/interpreting this ruling properly?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
09-29-2008, 09:08 AM
That is how I understand it as well.. early Muslim scientists have drawn parts of the body for anatomy and physiology purposes..

and Allah knows best

:w:

Hasan Ali
09-30-2008, 09:43 PM
allah knows best

alcurad
10-02-2008, 04:16 AM
drawings that explicitly show the body in how to say this, moral less way's as well those to be used as icons for devotion and the like are forbidden. not what you're drawing I presume ?, you can draw partial or complete body parts, the prohibition is not on that.

despite of course the misguided opinion that 'that which may live is not to be drawn'...
and pray why is that? so it doesn't spring to life at midnight?

it doesn't matter if some esteemed scholar/shaikh/maulvi etc gives an opinion without evidence from the qur'an and sunnah, and the evidence needs to actually back what he/she is saying.

here is the beginning of the esteemed 'fatwa' from the link sister transition? provided:

" It is clear that image-making is one of the blameworthy actions of the jaahiliyyah which Islam came to oppose. It is well established from clear, saheeh mutawaatir ahaadeeth that it is not allowed, and that the one who does this is cursed and is warned of torment in Hell, as in the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Abbaas which is attributed to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Every image maker will be in Hell, and a soul will be given to every image which he made so that it might torment him in Hell.” (Narrated by Muslim).

This applies to all images of animate created beings, humans and others. There is no difference between three-dimensional and other images, whether they were taken with cameras or produced by painting, engraving or other methods, because of the general meaning of the ahaadeeth. "

this is how the hadeeth is meant to be understood?? they used to make trees an exception if remember correctly, but this one really blew it all to cinders in one wide stroke of the brush.
so now I will be cursed because I drew some trees the other day...

where is a new dawn when you need one.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
islamirama
10-02-2008, 04:40 AM
That is how i understand it as well. I can see the reason for scientists and doctors to draw body parts, but is it really necessary for the bored and the inspiring 'artists' ?

If there is no need (like a legitimate) need to draw body parts, why venture in that area? Sometimes its just best to stick to what is clear and not venture far from it.

alcurad
10-02-2008, 04:55 AM
painting something is 'not in the clear' and its best 'not to venture there'?

doorster
10-02-2008, 05:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
painting something is 'not in the clear' and its best 'not to venture there'?
I wonder if you've heard of Bob Ross a painter/teacher? used to have a television series long time ago. I have every single episode ever made. I used to put it on for half an hour every day and paint along with him, before discovering him, I was buying numbered cardboard then canvas to paint by numbers

I still do it at least once a weak no doubt someone is gonna tell me it is a huge sin bigger than not knowing, what they copy and paste whether it is a whole chapter from Bible (without knowing it was from Bible) or works by abbas qummi (not knowing who he was) or from a site that wants to unite all religions.

<Snip>

:w:

Thinker
10-03-2008, 06:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
here is the beginning of the esteemed 'fatwa' from the link sister transition? provided:

" It is clear that image-making is one of the blameworthy actions of the jaahiliyyah which Islam came to oppose. It is well established from clear, saheeh mutawaatir ahaadeeth that it is not allowed, and that the one who does this is cursed and is warned of torment in Hell, as in the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Abbaas which is attributed to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Every image maker will be in Hell, and a soul will be given to every image which he made so that it might torment him in Hell.” (Narrated by Muslim).

This applies to all images of animate created beings, humans and others. There is no difference between three-dimensional and other images, whether they were taken with cameras or produced by painting, engraving or other methods, because of the general meaning of the ahaadeeth. "
I’m still struggling with this one and notwithstanding that I’ve already had one post deleted asking for clarification, I’ll try again. Please remember I am not being disrespectful, I just don’t understand.

It appears (I’m sure someone will correct me if I am wrong) that Islamic teachings forbids (under pain of hell) the making of an image of a whole person? If that is correct, then does that include video and television? If that is also forbidden would it not then follow that to watch television (paying the TV licence etc) would be supporting or at least condoning a forbidden act?

Again, apologies if I am asking questions which appear insensitive or disrespectful.

doorster
10-03-2008, 06:54 PM
^^^ hehehe, me to!

I have photos (2 Albums full ) of best of today's scholars (found from web or news cutting or taken by myself), my family (past and present) I have, never yet, in my 47 years prostrated in front of any photo, painting or drawing, because I do not know the form of my God to be able to make image of Him, I cant possibly picture Him in my wildest dreams to be able to associate Him with any photos I have of persons dead or alive

and I have a few videos too
If that is correct, then does that include video and television? If that is also forbidden would it not then follow that to watch television (paying the TV licence etc.) would be supporting or at least condoning a forbidden act?
that (not paying the fee) would be against the Law (regardless of purpose TV is used for)

you might be watching whatever is dished out but there is such a thing as video tape you know?
none is obliged to tape and watch filth, you know? there are things that are without indecency that can be recorded and watched, No?

Thinker
10-03-2008, 09:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
^^^ hehehe, me to!

none is obliged to tape and watch filth, you know? there are things that are without indecency that can be recorded and watched, No?
Hmm - filth - I was thinking about watching the news or a football match

doorster
10-03-2008, 09:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker
Hmm - filth - I was thinking about watching the news or a football match
you are very selective with the text you pick to quote then emphasise a single word and ruin the context.
where does this single out any single program as filth?

you know, if I were a cynic, I might think that you are trying to trip people up, by first giving the impression of being all nicey nicey curious, then the venom spills out somehow

it may be an Idea to make less assumption .. which I am guilty of too, more often than I realise .. after seeing your latest gem of a reply, may I be allowed to assume that you were expecting a rant about the "evils" of T.V and none took the bait to satisfy your lust for trolling?

BTW. my last ever "nice" reply to your "good self" henceforth its me reporting anything untoward that you may post and occasional "setting the record straight" posts as best as I can (according to my limited abilities).

peace!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.