/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Adopt a Non-Muslim Family

Re.TiReD
09-30-2008, 02:07 PM
:salamext: All!

I just came across this thread: http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...spitality.html

And interestingly enough, my poppa told me today about our 'Adopt a family' program.

Basically our Masjid is big on inter-faith dialogue, during Ramadaan we had an open-day for non-muslims and those who wished to 'integrate' more into the Muslim community (since its not only the muslims who need to integrate a little) put their names down for Eid meals.

How it works is that each Muslim family is assigned a non-muslim one to share their Eid with and share their meals with. So we're going to be going round a little later to give them their Eid packs, Cant wait! It'll be cool to share Eid with people who dont know much about us and our festival eh?

What do you guys think? :D

WassalamuAlaykum

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
09-30-2008, 02:49 PM
That sounds awesome! I would definitely be up for doing that, kudos for participating in it.:thumbs_up

glo
09-30-2008, 02:52 PM
My family is up for adoption! :D

Güven
09-30-2008, 02:54 PM
that sounds awesome! :D

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hamayun
09-30-2008, 02:59 PM
That sounds like a brilliant idea! This is exactly what the communities need to have a better understanding of each other.

glo
09-30-2008, 03:09 PM
It is admirable that Muslims and non-Muslims have signed up to this project. :)

But since we are talking about improving our understanding of each others way of life, can I ask how many of you would think this to be a good idea in the reverse: for example Christians inviting Muslims to a Christmas celebration and dinner?

Would you join in with that?
Or would you have concerns about it?

Hamayun
09-30-2008, 03:36 PM
I would be more than happy to be part of it :)

Just because our beliefs differ slightly would not be reason enough to turn down an invitation. In fact I think it would be wrong to turn down an invitation like that.

As long as I wasn't required to do anything that is Haram I don't see why that should be a problem :)

truemuslim
09-30-2008, 04:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
My family is up for adoption! :D
aw i would adopt u, unfortunoutly ur way in england. which is bad for two reasons (which i fink u kno )

My masjid invited jews ther, tought them about islam and all. im so sad because of that :(

glo
09-30-2008, 05:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
aw i would adopt u, unfortunoutly ur way in england. which is bad for two reasons (which i fink u kno )
Thanks for the offer, truemuslim :)
What are the two reasons you mention?

Where do you live?

My masjid invited jews ther, tought them about islam and all. im so sad because of that :(
Why are you sad about that? Don't you think it could help people to understand each other better?

truemuslim
09-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the offer, truemuslim :)
What are the two reasons you mention?

Where do you live?

Why are you sad about that? Don't you think it could help people to understand each other better?
lol how u not know???? its me!
1) im in usa, not uk
aand 2) ...nobody jump but cmon its england, ya allah if i understand u without laughin! :-[

and yeh i was actually sad because they walked into the masjid and they saw people doin nothin but playin basketball and talkin and listenin to music and all, in the masjid, durin salah, they looked confused too :blind: je i wonder why :rollseyes

ayan333
09-30-2008, 06:55 PM
:sl:

the Masid by my sister uni has this thing were a non profit organization donates a dollar for every non-Muslim who fasts during Ramadam...they raised over a thousand i believe

:w:

Re.TiReD
09-30-2008, 07:14 PM
:salamext: and Hi

Thanks/JazakAllah for the responses all :)

Where do you live Glo? I'd love to adopt your family for Eid :D

And actually, the man told my dad they'd be adopting us at Christmas :D lol sounds kool

WassalamuAlaykum

glo
09-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Tell us more about your visit to the non-Muslim family, Fleur!
How did it go? What did you do?

Re.TiReD
09-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Tell us more about your visit to the non-Muslim family, Fleur!
How did it go? What did you do?
Eeek! Sorry Glo :-[ it wasnt today after all, my dad spoke with the gentleman over the phone to find out their food preferences and clarify the amount of family members (they have 4)...But we'll be going tomorrow insha'Allah since the majority of people here will be celebrating Eid then....Sorry my mistake in 1st post :-[

glo
09-30-2008, 07:28 PM
My mistake, Fleur. Don't worry!

I'll wait to hear your story tomorrow then! :)

Re.TiReD
09-30-2008, 07:29 PM
My mistake, Fleur. Don't worry!

I'll wait to hear your story tomorrow then! :)
Insha'Allah, would be kool if they have children my age :D

Seeya tomorrow :p

Re.TiReD
10-01-2008, 09:44 PM
:salamext:

My poppa went, I had to babysit :(

Thread Closed :-[

Thinker
10-01-2008, 10:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JσℓιєFℓєυя
:salamext: All!

I just came across this thread: http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...spitality.html

an open-day for non-muslims and those who wished to 'integrate' more into the Muslim community

Integration - ABSOLUTELY GREAT IDEA but I'm a little lost as to who should be integrating with whom - surely the visitor should be integrating with the host!! Isn't it rather arrrogant to suggest that the host(s) should be intergrating with the visitors?

Hamayun
10-01-2008, 10:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker
Integration - ABSOLUTELY GREAT IDEA but I'm a little lost as to who should be integrating with whom - surely the visitor should be integrating with the host!! Isn't it rather arrrogant to suggest that the host(s) should be intergrating with the visitors?
I applaud your ability to find negative things in the most innocent posts. :rollseyes May Allah help you become a less miserable person Insha'Allah :)

glo
10-02-2008, 06:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by JσℓιєFℓєυя
My poppa went, I had to babysit :(

Thread Closed :-[
That's a shame, since you were so looking forward to it ... :(

What did your dad tell you when he came back?

Re.TiReD
10-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Its a two-way street thinkerbell :) And we aint the guests, I've been here so long I'm almost part of the funiture...:D

That's a shame, since you were so looking forward to it ... :(

What did your dad tell you when he came back?
He had a nice time masha'Allah. The gentleman was nice :)

Muezzin
10-08-2008, 07:22 PM
I suppose if I suddenly renounced my faith I'd be granted 'host' status? Being as I was born here and all.

Not too sure about this 'adopt a family' concept in abstract (regardless of host and visitor's religions), though if it eases relations between different groups of people, all the better.

Re.TiReD
10-09-2008, 11:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
though if it eases relations between different groups of people, all the better.
^^ The whole idea behind it was the above ^^

We've had a lot of tension over here between different faiths, hence the need for interfaith organisations to do something about it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.