/* */

PDA

View Full Version : LI Poetry Contest

Re.TiReD
10-02-2008, 02:27 PM
:salamext:

Lets make it official eh sisters? :shade:

OK so here's the deal...(In short)

If you guys agree/think its a good idea...

We have a month to submit entries (Or summin like that)

Everybody submits anonymously (Through PM)

To a few members seclected as judges...

And then hey presto!

We crown somebody the Official Poet of LI :shade:

This has got the potential to work btw, we've tried it in the gender rooms...

So what you think? Any questions? Please ask...

WassalamuAlaykum

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noorseeker
10-02-2008, 02:36 PM
You can be a judge, as it was your idea

10-02-2008, 02:36 PM
*ahem ahem*

i think i better not say it:X

------
10-02-2008, 02:37 PM

Don't you think we should keep it within gender rooms? Loads of free mixing n stuff if we do it in Main Forums, e.g. PMs and that.
Plus loads of bias_ness, if you get me...

Thats just my opinion, ignore it if you want.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Re.TiReD
10-02-2008, 02:37 PM
JazakAllah khayr but that aint the point, would people participate?

truemuslim
10-02-2008, 02:38 PM
aw i wanna participate (as in just watch u people write ur poetry) but if its in gender roms i kant

Re.TiReD
10-02-2008, 02:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Serene -

Don't you think we should keep it within gender rooms? Loads of free mixing n stuff if we do it in Main Forums, e.g. PMs and that.
Plus loads of bias_ness, if you get me...

Thats just my opinion, ignore it if you want.
:wasalamex

I was thinking the same.

BUT....why would people free-mix if all we're doing is PM'ing a poem? No room for bias if the entries are kept anon...and on a larger scale than the sisters room would be great since that section can be kinda :skeleton: at times.

But hey, this is what the poll is for. If it dont turn out to be a good idea then its fine insha'Allah

------
10-02-2008, 02:40 PM

Erm from what I see it, the main people on LI Rhymes Thread, participate in random poems, not on any specific subject...plus its more fun on that thread as everyone is participating, so you get a mixture of rhymes...

Re.TiReD
10-02-2008, 02:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
aw i wanna participate (as in just watch u people write ur poetry) but if its in gender roms i kant
Kool sis, although u know ur a rad poet :p masha'Allah I have a few people in mind who I think should participate and you're on of em :p

Re.TiReD
10-02-2008, 02:41 PM

Erm from what I see it, the main people on LI Rhymes Thread, participate in random poems, not on any specific subject.
Yeah thats what I see too :)

No harm in adding something diff to the mix, is there? :/

'Abd al-Baari
10-02-2008, 02:45 PM
:sl:

I think the Staff should be Judges :p

That way they can ensure PMng is kept to a minimum, and sisters can PM the sister Mods and bro's can PM the brother mods. Then the staff can make a joint decission..

Anyways its a nice idea :thumbs_up, although I would suggest that it be a general 'writing' contest, rather than just poetry, may encourage more partcipation insha'Allah.

:w:

Re.TiReD
10-02-2008, 02:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Baari

That way they can ensure PMng is kept to a minimum, and sisters can PM the sister Mods and bro's can PM the brother mods. Then the staff can make a joint decission..

Nice idea, although I would suggest that it be a general 'writing' contest, rather than just poetry, may encourage more partcipation insha'Allah.

Yeahh agreed at mods judging Insha'Allah!

But as for the winning entries, I thought that once all entries had been submitted we could make a poll (make it public to make sure people dont vote their own poems) and then decide that way? What people think?

And I guess if it was a writing one it would be good, but wouldnt it be too vast too judge properly? Wallahu A'lam sounds kool either way :D

'Abd al-Baari
10-02-2008, 02:51 PM

:D

But as for the winning entries, I thought that once all entries had been submitted we could make a poll (make it public to make sure people dont vote their own poems) and then decide that way? What people think?
I think the problem with that could be that it may be slightly biasd, waAllahu Aa'lam.

Re.TiReD
10-02-2008, 02:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Baari

I think the problem with that could be that it may be slightly biasd, waAllahu Aa'lam.

^^ I guess akhee.

But we did something like this in the sisters room, and the poll options were given and the poems posted, and nobody has a clue as to which poem belonged to which member.

But...since that section is fairly quiet, I guess it might be a prob in main forum.

Hmm so ur idea is overall best masha'Allah :)

FatimaAsSideqah
10-02-2008, 02:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JσℓιєFℓєυя

As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

Yeah good idea! :) Insha'Allah.

Muezzin
10-02-2008, 02:58 PM
But we did something like this in the sisters room, and the poll options were given and the poems posted, and nobody has a clue as to which poem belonged to which member.
So? The voters are judging the poem rather than the poet, are they not?

Nah. That's far too much work. :p

Besides, if only staff were judges, it makes it look as if the forum only endorses one particular type of poem, which is all kinds of wrong.

Just have a separate 'LI Poetry Contest' thread in the Brothers Forum and Sisters Forum.

Anyways its a nice idea :thumbs_up, although I would suggest that it be a general 'writing' contest, rather than just poetry, may encourage more partcipation insha'Allah.

I am pulling rank to delay such an alteration until the completion of my short story. :p

Sahabiyaat
10-02-2008, 02:58 PM
i think its a great idea :), ill participate InshaAllah

Re.TiReD
10-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Nah. That's far too much work. :p

Besides, if only staff were judges, it makes it look as if the forum only endorses one particular type of poem, which is all kinds of wrong.
Not really, we have plenty of mods and most of them probably have different writing styles and preferences...I think it would work. But fair enough..

Just have a separate 'LI Poetry Contest' thread in the Brothers Forum and Sisters Forum.
Its been done, and to be frank....it was slightly dead.

I am pulling rank to delay such an alteration until the completion of my short story. :p
:)

------
10-02-2008, 03:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin

That's what I said.

Re.TiReD
10-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Yes, that was supposed to be a positive point supporting my idea :skeleton:

format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat
i think its a great idea :), ill participate InshaAllah
Koolio :D

Muezzin
10-02-2008, 03:02 PM
yes, that was supposed to be a positive point supporting my idea
Oh.

See, this is why you do not want someone like me judging your writing.

Not really, we have plenty of mods and most of them probably have different writing styles and preferences...I think it would work. But fair enough..
Would it not work if we... democratised the process? With a poll as you suggest?

Its been done, and to be frank....it was slightly dead.
How so?

Re.TiReD
10-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Would it not work if we... democratised the process? With a poll as you suggest?
Yes akhee but the mod idea was if people think there'll be fitnah in PM's....I dont think there will and if the mods are happy with people PM'ing the judges then I'm happy.

How so?
Not many participants, not many voters.

------
10-02-2008, 03:04 PM

Just a suggestion, do you wanna see how many people will actually participate first? Coz in my opinion, every poem [short or long] is beautiful in its own way, as all the words have a hidden meaning behind them, and they make you think [all the ones on the rhymes thread anyway].

Re.TiReD
10-02-2008, 03:07 PM

Just a suggestion, do you wanna see how many people will actually participate first? Coz in my opinion, every poem [short or long] is beautiful in its own way, as all the words have a hidden meaning behind them, and they make you think [all the ones on the rhymes thread anyway].

thats what this thread is for sis, to find out if its a good enough idea and if people want to participate b4 actually doing this. If all goes well ima make a thread to brainstorm ideas also.

yeah every poem is beautiful, but some top it and some dont.

Muezzin
10-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Hmm... What if we had two separate public threads?

One is 'LI Poetry Contest Entries'

The other is 'LI Poetry Contest Nominees'

'Entries' does exactly what it says on the tin. It houses all of the entries, and nothing but the entries. No comments, no critiques, nothing. Just the poems themselves which each entrant will post. After the time limit has expired, the thread will be closed.

'Nominees' is where people discuss which poems they liked best, perhaps with a poll, but if there are far too many entries to judge by a poll, we might first have to narrow it down to a shortlist (i.e. people actually type in their post their favourite entry, and some poor soul counts the most popular entries to compile the shortlist poll). Obviously the poll will have a time limit too.

Yea? Nay?

Re.TiReD
10-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Yay akhee, but one problem.

If people post their own entries...there is room for bias. So they could PM them to a few select people who could then in turn, post them instead?

Hows that?

Muezzin
10-02-2008, 03:15 PM
Yay akhee, but one problem.

If people post their own entries...there is room for bias.
True, but in polls one member equals one vote. People can't repeatedly vote for their own entry.

So they could PM them to a few select people who could then in turn, post them instead?

Hows that?
Thing is, those few select people may be inundated with Private Messages, and they may not be able to update the thread in time, etc etc.

If bias is such a concern, we could always make the polls public - meaning that everyone can see exactly who has voted for each entry.

Al-Zaara
10-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Not always, duh. Don't be so naive. :D For example: If you see an "known" LI-poet post his/her poem, often it happens that something clicks inside your head saying "this is better than that one" subconsciously in your mind. etc.

Nothing is anyways always completely objectively seen.

I'm sorry sister, I'm against the idea. I voted No.

Re.TiReD
10-02-2008, 03:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
True, but in polls one member equals one vote. People can't repeatedly vote for their own entry.

Thing is, those few select people may be inundated with Private Messages, and they may not be able to update the thread in time, etc etc.

If bias is such a concern, we could always make the polls public - meaning that everyone can see exactly who has voted for each entry.
Hmm...I guesssss...Hmm *thinks*

Cool, sounds good alhamdulillah.

However, at not being able to update the thread in time, maybe we shouldnt make the poll until all poems are submitted? Allahu A'lam?? This thread can be used for brainstorming anyway, the poll has a life-span of 20 days so insha'Allah have time to tone this down to perfection Insha'Allah

Muezzin
10-02-2008, 03:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
Not always, duh. Don't be so naive. :D For example: If you see an "known" LI-poet post his/her poem, often it happens that something clicks inside your head saying "this is better than that one" subconsciously in your mind. etc.

Nothing is anyways always completely objectively seen.
Well, the only way to keep the author's identity secret seems to be sending a boatload of private messages to a group of people, which could be a little impractical.

The anonymous accounts are only for things like cyber counselling topics, so...

However, if people are willing to receive all these PM's, go for it. I'm not opposed to the idea of this contest, I just favour a different execution.

------
10-02-2008, 03:24 PM
so...keep it to the gender rooms, or use the 'Continue the Islamic Rhyme' thread.

Al-Zaara
10-02-2008, 03:29 PM
If this happens, then yes, I think for example to PM it to someone in charge would be pretty good. Maybe someone not in the judging team and neither participating. Best would be someone from the Staff (authority = trust, y'know), who meets those criterias.

Na7lah
10-02-2008, 05:02 PM
i like it :D why don't we just do it the same way we did it in the sisters section? someone gets all the poems sent to them and that person starts a thread and posts al the poems with out saying which one is for who

then everyone votes fot the poem they like, the poll is public so no one votes for their own poem

??

truemuslim
10-02-2008, 05:03 PM
lol yeh sounds very interesting.
too bad people talk about how it gonna be then they forget to START IT? :p

highway_trekker
10-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Inshaa'Allaah a good idea as long as it does not encourage free-mixing and result in fitnah between male and female participants...you know the teasing..and inappropriate smileys etc... ofcourse being a competition the mood is going to be 'light'... inshaa'Allaah if people are mindful of Allaah then it may work... ofcourse if it remains anonymous then this will reduce the possible fitnah...but when winners are decided and announced people may need to be reminded to be careful...sometimes I think its best to avoid getting into situations where there is a risk of over stepping limits... but then again I understand how positive the impact of something like this (if done correctly and appropriately) could be for the youth and people in general...

Nájlá
10-02-2008, 08:29 PM
i think best way would be the way we did it in the sisters section. :hmm:

truemuslim
10-02-2008, 09:17 PM
^ fine but then someones gna have to pm me everything! :p

Nájlá
10-02-2008, 09:17 PM
nah it would be a mod n ur not a mod sorry :p^

truemuslim
10-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Lol no i meant the whole thing, since i wanna watch someone better pm me everything that happened. as in EVERYTHING. since i cant go to sis sect. :( :p

Nájlá
10-02-2008, 09:23 PM
ohh lol dat would be me ^ hahahaha

truemuslim
10-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Lol k :p

IbnAbdulHakim
10-02-2008, 09:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah421
i like it :D why don't we just do it the same way we did it in the sisters section? someone gets all the poems sent to them and that person starts a thread and posts al the poems with out saying which one is for who

then everyone votes fot the poem they like, the poll is public so no one votes for their own poem

??
sounds good

Na7lah
10-02-2008, 09:32 PM
how bout we keep the poll open for another 3 days and see if anyone else will object, so far its 1 vote for no

Güven
10-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Im realy sorry but.......I still dont get it:confused:

Na7lah
10-02-2008, 09:36 PM
wat dont u get? ^

truemuslim
10-02-2008, 09:40 PM
wait are we doin it in gender rooms or public?

Güven
10-02-2008, 09:41 PM
uhmm Everything so how is this gonna work or how does it start and how can you participate(not that i will ) uhmm,
maybe i have to read al those comments again !

truemuslim
10-02-2008, 09:55 PM
four pages of comments? no start? complete confusion? :/ can someone who likes typing summarize everything and wat conclusion yall decided?

Sahabiyaat
10-03-2008, 08:50 AM
yeh, summarise, im not reading four pages :mmokay:

------
10-03-2008, 09:39 AM

Just read the first post and it will explain everything, you don't have to read 4 pages.

Cabdullahi
10-03-2008, 09:44 AM
how about we give auntie serene the authority and let her choose the participants from looking at the continue rhyme thread and then the chosen will battle it out...just a suggestion

Sahabiyaat
10-03-2008, 09:55 AM
not a good decider, ive never participated in continue the rhyme thread, yet i enjoy poetry.

Cabdullahi
10-03-2008, 10:01 AM
lets decide on something then????

Re.TiReD
10-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Aii haiii!

WHAT DRAMA man!

And the results are tied anyway.

Hmm, well here's my proposal again...

Poetry contest in the main forum ... If you dont think it should be in main can u please not complain coz I dont like whiners.

Second - People can PM the poems to us, I'm not sure who 'us' is at the moment so please bear with me, if anybody would like to be 'us' then feel free to PM me :)

Thirdly, nobody is judging as to who the participants should be, if you wana participate, you do. End of :) (this is in response to somebody who said that we should judge according to the rhyme thread)

Erm...is there a fourthly? Hmm...Yeah, if you dont think its a good idea, you're all entitled to your opinion :D

Any more questions/suggestions, please feel free to ask

WassalamuAlaykum

------
10-03-2008, 11:16 AM

Someone has to judge?

Re.TiReD
10-03-2008, 11:17 AM

Someone has to judge?

(Check the sisters section thread sis)

Yeah its either the poll or judging, cant seem to decide

Nájlá
10-03-2008, 11:41 AM
the poll would be better :hmm:^

Re.TiReD
10-03-2008, 11:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by najla93
the poll would be better :hmm:^
Ok huni, dont pull your face tho *tut tut* :p lol sorry kiddin :-[

Nájlá
10-03-2008, 11:48 AM
lol^ i needed to pull my face i had the boring lessons going today.
this day has been soo long and i've got another two lessons left.:p

lol anyway i can't wait for this poetry contest even tho am not gonna take part.
but i can't wait to read everybody elses.

Re.TiReD
10-03-2008, 11:52 AM
lol u aint takin part? :(

K koolio, Insha'Allah give this poll a while longer, and answer any more q's...then get the ball rolling insha'Allah, Hmm or the fish flapping :D

------
10-03-2008, 11:54 AM

u aint takin part?
Nor am I =)

Re.TiReD
10-03-2008, 11:54 AM

lol feel free to announce if you aint entering ppl *rollseyes*

truemuslim
10-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Lol people stop makin fishy feel embarassasedally miserable and shameful by not participating! (ok mayb u feel embarassedally miserable and shameful after i mention it)
am only watchin, not judging (of course) or playin ...so lets begin???
cmon 5 pages of deciding? ??? lol

Re.TiReD
10-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Lol people stop makin fishy feel embarassasedally miserable and shameful by not participating! (ok mayb u feel embarassedally miserable and shameful after i mention it)
am only watchin, not judging (of course) or playin ...so lets begin???
cmon 5 pages of deciding? ??? lol
;D lol ^^

No I feel pretty hyper actually...:D :statisfie

K ima make a brainstorming thread now insha'Allah

Güven
10-03-2008, 01:12 PM
sooo are we gonna talk only or are we gonna start ? ( Not that im participating )

truemuslim
10-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Ok lets begin !

Guven, serene and jolie, judges, everyone else (aka nobody but....nobody) submit yo stuff to them, aand .........we vote.
Now Hurry Up!!

*just tryna make it seem like we've finally AGREED ON SOMETHING and we are STARTING and NOT TALKING.......ahem

Re.TiReD
10-03-2008, 01:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
sooo are we gonna talk only or are we gonna start ? ( Not that im participating )

:mmokay:

I'm thinking I'm thinking! :p

Lol I'm just deciding how to do this...Hmm ok...

Hows this sound (b4 I make final thread, I aint guna make a brainstorming one anymore)

I come online quite often...

PM me your poem, you have a month to do so. After all have been submitted, I post all the entries in a thread and make a poll (a public poll to make sure ppl dont vote for themselves)...give people several weeks to vote and then announce the winner?

Al-Zaara
10-03-2008, 01:16 PM
^ If you do that, which would be nice, I assume you are NOT participating? And won't vote? :D

Re.TiReD
10-03-2008, 01:18 PM
^ If you do that, which would be nice, I assume you are NOT participating? And won't vote? :D
I wasnt going to participate, no. And I guess I shouldnt vote either. So No and No :D

Although whats wrong with me participating? :-/

truemuslim
10-03-2008, 01:18 PM
:mmokay:

I'm thinking I'm thinking! :p

Lol I'm just deciding how to do this...Hmm ok...

Hows this sound (b4 I make final thread, I aint guna make a brainstorming one anymore)

I come online quite often...

PM me your poem, you have a month to do so. After all have been submitted, I post all the entries in a thread and make a poll (a public poll to make sure ppl dont vote for themselves)...give people several weeks to vote and then announce the winner?
u never log off tho :X :p

A MONTH?! Wow.......suddenly i dont even feel like doin it! :p too long stop being schooly fishy! wow...i thoguht it would be like 2-3 days (cough hourscough)

*sigh*
u took my energy.........

Re.TiReD
10-03-2008, 01:20 PM
u never log off tho :X :p

A MONTH?! Wow.......suddenly i dont even feel like doin it! :p too long stop being schooly fishy! wow...i thoguht it would be like 2-3 days (cough hourscough)

*sigh*
u took my energy.........
:mmokay: :p

Lol ok fineee...maybe we do need a brainstorming thread :exhausted

Or maybe not....

OK...

HOW long should participants have to submit their poems??

People might be busy thats why

Al-Zaara
10-03-2008, 01:20 PM
I wasnt going to participate, no. And I guess I shouldnt vote either. So No and No :D
OK!

Although whats wrong with me participating? :-/
Well, there are reasons but mainly just for safety reasons and trust reasons. Ultimate trust. :D

Re.TiReD
10-03-2008, 01:22 PM
OK!

Well, there are reasons but mainly just for safety reasons and trust reasons. Ultimate trust. :D
I forgot how to rhyme anyway so no worries :D

Güven
10-03-2008, 01:23 PM
well i wouldnt find a problem to be a judge , but what does a judge do other than judging the poem?

truemuslim
10-03-2008, 01:23 PM
they shud have lyk 3 days (i dunno but 3 days is like the LI thing! everyone says 3 days about everything that has to do with li!)

Re.TiReD
10-03-2008, 01:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
well i wouldnt find a problem to be a judge , but what does a judge do other than judging the poem?

;D all u have to do it vote on a poll....no actual judging....just say which one u like best?

they shud have lyk 3 days (i dunno but 3 days is like the LI thing! everyone says 3 days about everything that has to do with li!)
Three days to come up with a poem worthy of being entered? :p did u bang ur head lately sis? :p

truemuslim
10-03-2008, 01:27 PM
lol sis No i did not bang my head, how long does it take to throw a few lines??? Edit: i swear i was about to say something bout the uk again :X

a poem with 5 lines takes 1 minute 24 seconds, a poem with 10 takes 2 and a half minutes, a poem with 20 llines takes about 5 minutes 35 seconds...so cmon and do tha math!

Re.TiReD
10-03-2008, 01:28 PM
lol sis No i did not bang my head, how long does it take to throw a few lines??? Edit: i swear i was about to say something bout the uk again :X
Okie Dokily sis...

truemuslim
10-03-2008, 01:32 PM
ok wat?

Re.TiReD
10-03-2008, 01:34 PM
ok wat?
Ok we'll give it less time :p

And ok maybe we'll ask for more input on that aswell :p

Watch out for new thread insha'Allah :p

truemuslim
10-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Ook(ie dokily)

Re.TiReD
10-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Ook(ie dokily)
new thread posted :D

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ontest-ii.html

Re.TiReD
10-05-2008, 08:08 PM
*rollseyes*

No point to this poll anymore.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.