/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Missed prayer/fasting and charity

glo
10-02-2008, 05:07 PM
I read somewhere something (I know, that's very vague, but I cannot remember any details ... :rollseyes) that gave me the impression that in Islam missed prayer and/or fasting can be compensated by giving extra alms to charity.

Have I understood this correctly?
Can somebody explain this further?

Thanks, and peace

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
10-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Thank you for approving this thread.
I hadn't expected it to appear in the Support and Advice section ... but that's fine with me. :)

AnonymousPoster
10-02-2008, 05:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I read somewhere something (I know, that's very vague, but I cannot remember any details ... :rollseyes) that gave me the impression that in Islam missed prayer and/or fasting can be compensated by giving extra alms to charity.

Have I understood this correctly?
Can somebody explain this further?

Thanks, and peace
Err yeah.. according to 'something' I read 'somewhere'

=P

Be good.

*Bump*

aamirsaab
10-02-2008, 06:41 PM
:sl:
First thing that comes to my mind is zakat-ul fitr; which is a form of charity given at the end of ramadhan. It acts as compensation against any bad deeds done in ramadhan, fasts missed (though, you still have to make these fasts up after ramadhan) and also to help other muslims around the globe (the same way the usual zakat payment is used).

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
10-02-2008, 07:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
Err yeah.. according to 'something' I read 'somewhere'

=P

Be good.
Haha! I know I'm being vague ... but if I don't ask how can I learn??!

Anyway, anon, no need to be shy! Just tell me who you are. I bet I know you!! :D

format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
First thing that comes to my mind is zakat-ul fitr; which is a form of charity given at the end of ramadhan. It acts as compensation against any bad deeds done in ramadhan, fasts missed (though, you still have to make these fasts up after ramadhan) and also to help other muslims around the globe (the same way the usual zakat payment is used).
Ahh, aamirsaab is more helpful! :)

Thank you, brother. So I wasn't so far off ...
How does zakat-ul fitr work? How do you decide how much to pay? And who to?

For people who are rich, could this be a get-out-clause? In the sense of not needing to fast, because you can just 'pay it off'??

Musaafirah
10-02-2008, 07:44 PM
I think zakaat-ul-fitr is fixed and the approximate price to pay is about £3 per indvividual and I think the responsibility of this falls on the Head of the house..

aamirsaab
10-03-2008, 08:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
How does zakat-ul fitr work? How do you decide how much to pay? And who to?
The amount I (or, rather my dad) had to pay this year was £3 (per person) - and I do recall it being a different amount last year so I'm guessing it does change but don't know enough about it to tell you any more on that particular matter. The tax is paid to the mosque and the guys there distribute the money someplace (I don't know where exactly though)

For people who are rich, could this be a get-out-clause? In the sense of not needing to fast, because you can just 'pay it off'??
Nope - if you missed a fast in ramadhan, you have to make it up by fasting outside of ramadhan; the zakat-ul fitr compensates for it a little but not completely. It's like, you'd pay zakat-ul fitr anyway (whether you fasted all the days or not) but if you do miss one, the zakat-ul fitr will also act as some form of compensation. The tax is basically like normal zakat tax except it carries additional attributes (namely, compensation of bad deeds and missed fasts in ramadhan).

Hamayun
10-03-2008, 08:12 AM
Isn't it true that if you have an on going illness that prevents you from fasting then you can pay Zakat to make up for them?

Lets say for example you have chronic diabetes and your blood sugar drops too much if you don't eat. It can cause you to go into a coma. In those cases is it OK to give Zakat instead of fasting? I think I remember my Grandmother mentioning that.

aamirsaab
10-03-2008, 08:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun
Isn't it true that if you have an on going illness that prevents you from fasting then you can pay Zakat to make up for them?

Lets say for example you have chronic diabetes and your blood sugar drops too much if you don't eat. It can cause you to go into a coma. In those cases is it OK to give Zakat instead of fasting? I think I remember my Grandmother mentioning that.
I think this is correct but I don't know for sure. I mean, it makes sense from what I do know but cannot confirm this right now.

julie sarri
10-03-2008, 09:07 AM
A person who has become extremely weak due to old age or disease, and has no hope of recovery and as a result cannot fast, has been allowed by Sharî'ah not to fast but give fidyah.

The fidyah for every fasting day is equivalent to what is given on Eid day as sadqah al Fitrah.

If after paying of fidyah a sick person regains health by the grace of Allah, he should observe the missed fasts on other days, hoping from Allah that He will not let go waste the reward of the fidyah given away by him.

doorster
10-03-2008, 09:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
I think this is correct but I don't know for sure. I mean, it makes sense from what I do know but cannot confirm this right now.
yes, I think so too

أَيَّامًا مَعْدُودَاتٍ فَمَنْ كَانَ مِنْكُمْ مَرِيضًا أَوْ عَلَى سَفَرٍ فَعِدَّةٌ مِنْ أَيَّامٍ أُخَرَ وَعَلَى الَّذِينَ يُطِيقُونَهُ فِدْيَةٌ طَعَامُ مِسْكِينٍ فَمَنْ تَطَوَّعَ خَيْرًا فَهُوَ خَيْرٌ لَهُ وَأَنْ تَصُومُوا خَيْرٌ لَكُمْ إِنْ كُنْتُمْ تَعْلَمُونَ

2:184 ...... as for those who can (only) fast with difficulty, (sick, old, etc.), they have (a choice either to fast or) to feed a poor person (for every day they don’t fast)......... but He that will give more, of His own free will, - it is better for Him.....

edit: oopse yes to julie sarri too I did not see your post before I made mine wa salaam alaikum

If after paying of fidyah a sick person regains health by the grace of Allah, he should observe the missed fasts on other days (before next Ramzan)
edit2
forgot to say that if you know that fasting will seriously damage you or cause you to loose your life then it is makrooh to complete your fast. wallah Aalim!

------
10-03-2008, 09:36 AM
:salamext:

Zakat Ul Fitr you have to pay, regardless of whether you did or didn't fast.

Fidyah is what you pay if you didnt keep some fasts.

Fidyah Calculator

doorster
10-03-2008, 09:59 AM
in which country can 90 cents feed a miskin for a day? I want to move there!

doorster
10-04-2008, 06:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
in which country can 90 cents feed a miskin for a day? I want to move there!
want to know; what was so wrong with above question? to merit following tantrum:

Missed prayer/fasting... 10-04-2008 12:43 PM - Serene - i aint even gonna bother.
none should make posts that they do not want to talk about or do not know the answer to unless they put down a disclaimer saying something like:
Brethren I found this but not sure about its merits or usefulness (for all countries)

oh and download some sense of humour

edit: It might be/is a website from Singapore Government SG - Singapore
their rate of fidyah can not apply to all countries due to differences in costs

Peace :w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.