/* */

PDA

View Full Version : English translation confusion...

lewcow
10-03-2008, 02:49 AM
Bismeellaah,

Asalaamu Alaykum,

I'm not sure how these are reconciled, may Allah bring clarity; my first guess is that there is something lost in translation; but I don't know Arabic well enough. Undoubtably someone understands the language and contexts of these ayas better than I.... please provide daleel if this is of interest.

Allah forgiveth not that partners should be set up with Him; but He forgiveth anything else, to whom He pleaseth; to set up partners with Allah is to devise a sin most heinous indeed. -- Sura 4:48
Allah forgiveth not (the sin of) joining other gods with Him; but He forgiveth whom He pleaseth other sins than this: one who joins other gods with Allah, Hath strayed far, far away (from the right). -- Sura 4:116

Allah forgives shirk (even in the same sura):

... Yet they [the Israelites] worshipped the calf even after Clear Signs had come to them; even so We forgave them; and gave Moses manifest proofs of authority. -- Sura 4:153

Say: "O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. -- Sura 39:53

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
10-03-2008, 09:39 AM
:wasalamex

Allah doesn't forgive those who die upon shirk, because remember the sahaba were mushrikeen (polythiests) before Islam and Allah forgave them because they returned to true monotheism. But it should also be known that there are two types of shirk, major shirk and minor shirk.

Major shirk is that which may take one out of the folds of Islam, minor shirk is something which doesn't take one out of the folds of Islam but it renders all of ones good deeds fruitless.

'Abd-al Latif
10-03-2008, 09:54 AM
This might help. These are exerpts from Kitaab at-tawheed by yasir qadhi.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6JE8LZTS

doorster
10-05-2008, 12:23 PM
<snip>

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.