/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is Christianity a Religion of Peace?

The_Prince
10-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Salam all, here is a debate i had with a Christian apologist (David Wood) around 2 weeks ago in California concerning the above topic, is Christianity a Religion of Peace:

Part 1: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=e8VghX...eature=related

Part 2: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ9yOD...eature=related

Part 3: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YbtfuE...eature=related

Part 4: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vEJe1xClfEY

Perhaps Christians here can respond to points he didnt etc etc.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
10-03-2008, 02:20 PM
:sl:
Is this our Eid present? :p

glo
10-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Greetings, Prince
I hope you had a beneficial Ramadan. :)

It seems that most non-Muslims members are still chilling from their Ramadan break. :D

I myself am enjoying my neighbour's biryani too much to be thinking about religious debate at the moment. I haven't even had the opportunity to watch your video links.
When I get the opportunity to watch them in peace (possibly during my next sleepless night), I might get back to you.

Salaam

Edit:
I just checked how long the videos are (2 hours altogether - eek!!), so my above point applies even more.
Can you tell us a little about the debate? I.e. where it was held, to which audience, who the speakers are etc?
Thank you. :)

suffiyan007
10-03-2008, 06:11 PM
why lotsa debate in Eid....i am still in Eid mood....thinking of Ais kacang(nut ice)cendol,hahaha...and lotsa open house i am dreaming...! so i can go people house for delight meal....hahahha!:blind:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
doorster
10-03-2008, 06:18 PM
few days ago I watched a similar (probably same) posted somewhere on LI
by about the 5th minute into his speech I wanted the earth to open up and swallow me until my daughter reminded me about the off button

Long live Dr. Naik and memory of Shaikh Deedat!

Danah
10-03-2008, 08:24 PM
it looks that many are still in Eid mood, but I think we need something like that for warming.... :)

I downloaded them and I will watch them soon, I am interest on this topic as well.

Trumble
10-04-2008, 01:13 PM
I just don't see the point of this. Both Christianity and Islam are "religions of peace", ignoring some rather absurd and ultra-literal exogesis. Historically both have have been associated with violence and general unpleasantness at assorted times not because they inherently endorse violence, but because human beings have used them as an excuse to support it.

Nick
10-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Chrisitanity has had a long history of intolerance. Ask the peoples of the New World, those during the Spanish inquisition, or the crusades...just to mention a few.

Umar001
10-04-2008, 04:17 PM
As Salaamu Alaykum,

I think I have heard this, if not then Insha'Allah I will. Though I don't have a particular liking for the man Wood.

I was going to paste an essay I wrote for a university on with this exact title, though it then put another question 'if so explain the bloody history of the church' I think it was.

Not a scholarly article, but interesting if you want to see what Eesa thinks. LOL

Amadeus85
10-04-2008, 04:43 PM
I dont know what if any christian, jew or muslim could say that his/her religion is 100% "peaceful".

Amadeus85
10-04-2008, 04:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nick
Chrisitanity has had a long history of intolerance. Ask the peoples of the New World, those during the Spanish inquisition, or the crusades...just to mention a few.
It is well known, but on the other hand the most bloody and cruel artrocities hapenned after Enlightenment, from French Revolution through GULAG to Holocaust, all done in the name of humanism, progress, when people forgot about God or rather wanted to become alike him, masters of others' life and death(Hitler, Lenin, Stalin).

Grace Seeker
10-04-2008, 06:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
I just don't see the point of this. Both Christianity and Islam are "religions of peace", ignoring some rather absurd and ultra-literal exogesis. Historically both have have been associated with violence and general unpleasantness at assorted times not because they inherently endorse violence, but because human beings have used them as an excuse to support it.

Interesting that a Buddhist seems to have the most enlighted comment on this particular thread. :-[

doorster
10-04-2008, 06:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
Interesting that a Buddhist seems to have the most enlightened comment on this particular thread. :-[
Me seconds that!:-[

suffiyan007
10-04-2008, 06:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble

Christianity is the Religion before islam...is the Way of Jesus bringing christianity is Tauheed...pray to one God,called Elah.(Aramaic language)which mean Allah...The Christianity actually monotheism...when it came the Trinity concept it will be polytheism...cause Jesus in Cruxifiction or called die on the cross created a sculpture of Jesus in the Church...mostly christianity concept
is asking Jesus to pray for us and Mother mary, mother of God to pray for us...
which mean the christianity that the believer asking Jesus and mary to pray for the believer and the last day...lead them to eternal life...jesus save people and die for people to clean the sin of the world..in the religion of God,there are no sculptures or statue can put on the church or mosque...but the church they put the sculpture of jesus and mary is a memorial of the people lovingly love to Jesus And mary. The way of Jesus and Mary preach their religion is the same way the prophets preach their own religion to worship Allah..which mean Tauheed...or Islam(submit to God).

Grace Seeker
10-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Suffiyan, I'm not sure how the above ^^ discussion of the origins of Christianity addresses the question being asked as to whether or not Christianity is a religion of peace. Could you please explicate on that area a bit more? Right now I don't get your point.

suffiyan007
10-04-2008, 07:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
Suffiyan, I'm not sure how the above ^^ discussion of the origins of Christianity addresses the question being asked as to whether or not Christianity is a religion of peace. Could you please explicate on that area a bit more? Right now I don't get your point.

christianity is the Religion of Elah(allah)..which mean religion of one True God...Christianity is the second religion of God sent to the people....which mean to continue the mission of past prophets to bring the people of israelite to worship Elah(allah)...past religion before Christianity is Yom kippur(Jews)...
which mean the religion before Jesus...is mean the religion bring Torah,psalm and the scroll for moses,david and abraham....is because the prophets preach their religion cannot achieved the target that Allah wants...and lotsa people of israelite trying to distorted or change the verses of the book of God to the prophets..the message of God to the people...then the christianity came after the prophet Zechariah and John....which mean the messiah has born...and the prophet isa A.s(Jesus) has a mission by God...that he born in Mary womb as unique child that he was in craddle that he can speak to the people...which mean in the time of Jesus people believe that Jesus is son of God not son of MAry...God can do anything that he wants...he can create anything he wants...for a woman to bear a child without a father,is a miracle of Allah...same prophet Adam born as a human without a father...and became the 1st man on the earth...!is because lotsa people trying to kill JEsus...and distorted the verses in Bible,torah and psalm and the scroll....that Judas has betrayal Jesus who wanted to killed Jesus for money and he bring Jesus to the Roman pilate,when he came near to Jesus and God had changed the face of Judas alike to Jesus and Jesus has been lifted up to heaven...and the people has crucify Judas...and Judas shout "Elahi,Elahi,Elahi" my God, my God ,my God....what i have done to Jesus...
which mean the people assumed that Jesus die on the cross..!but actually not Jesus...when...last the preaching of Jesus....Allah had call ibrahim(abraham)...to build the kaabah in the mecca...and with ishmael..the son of abraham...bring the stone of hajar aswad.. to mecca and build up mecca as a place of a religion to worship Allah....(elah)...slowly they build up Masjidil Haram..and then slowly the ancestor of abraham and ishmael...build up in Arab , at last the born oF the last prophet of Allah...is Muhammad SAW....pbuh... the descendant of Ishmael and Abraham......and bringing islam to the people of the Muhammad century until the modern world till the end of the world....! Islam is the accepted religion of Allah....after Christianity!which mean christianity is for the religion for the century of JEsus!

Grace Seeker
10-04-2008, 08:21 PM
That still doesn't answer the question as to whether you perceive Christianity (in either what you consider to be its original form, or what in what I think of it as in its present form) is or is not a religion of peace.

ASeeker
10-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Human beings have a nasty tendency for corrupting anything once they put their minds to it. I know from the New Testament that Jesus of Nazareth never encouraged anyone to kill anyone for any reason and I think this is true of everyone else who writes in the New Testament. I think it is reasonable to draw a distinction between what Christianity actually teaches and what human beings have done in its name. I have never regarded what the Roman Catholic Church did in the Spanish Inquisition as remotely Christian. Judging from the attitudes of my Muslim friends I think they would have the same view about Islam and what has sometimes been done in its name.

For a touch of balance though. More people died on an efficient day at the Auschwitz gas chambers than in the Spanish Inquisition. Indeed, more people died at the hands of atheists, be they the communist or fascist varieties, in the 20th century than at the hands of Christians and Muslims during their combined histories.

Question: Did Muhammed ever kill anyone or order anyone to be killed and does the Quran advise killing for any reason?

Grace Seeker
10-04-2008, 08:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ASeeker
For a touch of balance though. More people died on an efficient day at the Auschwitz gas chambers than in the Spanish Inquisition. Indeed, more people died at the hands of atheists, be they the communist or fascist varieties, in the 20th century than at the hands of Christians and Muslims during their combined histories.
And to get political, sadly, even more children are slaughtered in the USA every day than in any other single event in human history other than the atomic bomb, and this is done while they are still in the womb as an act providing freedom of choice to women, most of whom would decalre themselves to be Christians. But by repeating it day after day, we have far outpaced the horrors of Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and Nazi death camps, between 1.5 and 2 million (with 6 zeros) this year alone, and it has been going on for 30 years.

doorster
10-04-2008, 08:54 PM
For a touch of balance though. More people died on an efficient day at the Auschwitz gas chambers than in the Spanish Inquisition
was that killer dude not a practising Catholic or Christian of some sort? :rollseyes

I thought of this thread as stupid from the start and lo and behold its getting to look more so with every new (few exceptions) post e.g "you killed more, this don't count or that don't count" like stupid kids cheating at play (as if all mass killers throughout history had been excommunicated or something)

argh....

aamirsaab
10-04-2008, 09:02 PM
:sl:
I'ma lock this thread - the link for the video is there for anyone to watch the debate.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.