/* */

PDA

View Full Version : how do people in hijab get a job?

Muslima Islam
10-06-2008, 03:03 AM
i cant seam to get a job wearing my hijab and i refuse to take it off even if they dont hire me. I just need money and wonder if there are any muslim jobs?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Intisar
10-06-2008, 04:19 AM
:sl: Just make constant du'a and pray, and apply for jobs, eventually you'll get one. Be patient. I got turned down for two jobs until I finally got my job, so inshaaAllaah you'll get one. :)

alcurad
10-06-2008, 04:32 AM
don't lose hope sister, keep looking and you'll find it.

جوري
10-06-2008, 06:12 AM
:sl: ukhty.. what sort of jobs are you applying for?
They have laws in this country against discrimination based on sex/religion etc, if you feel that is the reason you are not getting a job, you should certainly take action against those places..

meanwhile how about you rev up your resume, and get smart hijab wear?
I see lots of Muslimas in very high jobs Masha'Allah, I also see sikhs with turbans, Jews with Yamaka or head cover

invest in some professional hijab and suits and insha'Allah things will take a turn for the better

<content removed>
:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
10-06-2008, 07:35 AM
:sl:

Sister, I'm just wondering, how do you know they turned you away because of your hijab? Did they say so, or are you just assuming that?

------
10-06-2008, 11:55 AM
:salamext:

You have got to be kidding me. Make a complaint! They aren't allowed to do that!! There's a equal opportunities thing in work, they can't trun u away just coz u wear a hijaab! The flip!!!

Mawaddah
10-06-2008, 12:04 PM
:sl:

That's sad sister! Insha'allah keep on looking and you will find a job insha'allah which suits you.

There is nothing in Islam that says we have to look desolate, down trodden and wear dowdy frumpy clothes to be perceived as pious..

I think a working Muslim woman has to look professional!
exactly sis skye! It irritates me to the max when I see muslims who think that just because they are following the Islamic code of dressing they must look worn and shabby, especially those wearing flip-flops and bleached out colorless hijabs/jubahs..un-ironed (I'm not speaking about the thread starter btw) it's such a bad picture!

Allah says " I am beautiful and I love those who beautify themselves" Just keep within islamic boundaries.

I wear a jilbaab, and a long-ish hijaab, but they are professionally cut and look very neat and professional whilst still keeping in guidelines of the sunnah.

10-06-2008, 12:05 PM
What kind of hijab is that?? They aren't covering much! Women are supposed to cover their beauty!

Noone is saying to dress all shabby but subhanallah cover yourself! Wear good clothes, neat and make sure they're presentable. But that doesn't mean do yourself all up :rollseyes Otherwise what's the point in wearing hijab?? :mmokay:

------
10-06-2008, 12:13 PM
:salamext:

^ People wear different types of Hijaab. Not everyone has the same view as you!

Some people wear that^

I think that looks well sik...ur covering your hair but i goes with your clothes as well :shade:

Najm
10-06-2008, 12:32 PM
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

Sister, it cant be your hijab, there are so many woman out there looking pro, and wearing hijab and jilbab. Thy aren't allowed to discriminate you by law. You should find out the reasoning behind you not getting the job etc. Theres nothing wrong looking smart, just dont be excessive:rollseyes. Excessive i would say is when wearing something different to the norm of the people. Such as if everyone wears such and such, and its similar to what other woman wear it as well then its okay as long as it follows the guidelines of quran and sunnah!!!:statisfie

Oh and keep on looking for jobs sister, and ALWAYS REFUSE:raging: to take your hijab off!!!

FiAmaaniAllah

S_87
10-06-2008, 12:51 PM
where abouts do you live sister?
i know loads of hijabis who have got a job easily

Ansariyah
10-06-2008, 01:08 PM
where do u live sis? jst say..europe/asia/ or america etc u dont have to specify the country. if u dont mind.

AnonymousPoster
10-06-2008, 02:39 PM
as were talking of hijabs I just wanted to new if you have started properly is it necessary to wear a jilbab I wear a hijab and loose clothes but not a jilbab

جوري
10-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Pls let me make a few minor points.. and let's keep it this way, I know no one's opinion is going to influence anyone else's. When I go to my work I wear scrubs or skirts and blouses the days I am not on call and I have the largest selection of cardigans on the planet.
No where in my post did I say
1- wear threading, I don't honestly even know what threading is
2-wear red lipstick and tight clothes
I believe what I said is wear professional clothes and professional hijab.
I bought my sister a silk scarf from the brooks brothers, she is a doctor, she went to several interviews, she got two job offers, one at a top 10 hospital which her husband didn't agree to (because of bad hours and possible neglect to their child) and she apologized for not being able to accept it, the other at a good hospital though which were more reasonable hours.. did she get rejected from other hospitals, absolutely, you can't win everyone over. But if you expect a job, dress like a professional, have an excellent resume and carry yourself like a person able to handle the job.
Sikhs and Jews dress like professionals while upkeeping their moral code!

1-I knew I'd come under scrutiny by some for writing this, yet I still chose to not write anonymously because I am not a hypocrite, this is really what I believe you should do, so long as you are keeping with your religious codes!
2-Men in general shouldn't concern themselves too much with women's clothes, until such a time, they make the world secure for us, with Islamic state fund for our own projects such as was for Hind during the time of the prophet SAW, so that orphan, widowed, unmarried, women in debt, women in need to support their husbands, women who wish to serve other Muslim women aren't rejected and instead of honest advise as to what you think might be going wrong, you offer a don't wear threading advise.
3 - make us raise our head up high with knowledge masha'Allah left to right comparable to that of the Omayyad empire, so we can show up in frumpy clothes and be offered jobs anyway because people just know that being a Muslim is synonymous with genius!
or fix it, so that the wealth of the Muslims isn't on the hands of effete and morally desolate leaders like the sultan of Brunei who gives W H O R E S like mariah carey an 18 million dollar diamond necklace while Muslim children search in the garbage to break their fast while they are not even obligated to fast to begin with.

my two cents

:w:

Musaafirah
10-06-2008, 06:36 PM
To the original poster.. are you sure it was your hijab that was the cause of your rejection?
Where are you from if you don't mind me asking, coz if you're from the UK they aren't allowed by law to reject you on grounds of religious discrimination. Plus as an interviewee you have the right to feedback from the interviewers to know what was the cause of you not getting the job.
Masha'allah I've had 2 jobs , one for experience and one for Placement and both of them I attended wearing my hijab and jilbab and I got the jobs straight away.
In that case I personally don't see any cause for anyone to be rejected on the gorunds of hijab...

noorseeker
10-06-2008, 06:58 PM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1sU7fMfEtQ

Sister watch this it wil help

nocturnal
10-07-2008, 02:43 AM
What country do you live in? I live in the UK, and work at the airport. A lot of my colleagues are Muslim girls who wear Hij'ab and there's no discrimination at all in terms of them getting recruited. If anything, it is other colleagues look at the sisters in a very contemptuous way that betrays their attitude towards Muslims in general.

Now days, it isn't that easy to come accross overt discrimination on the grounds of religion, especially not here in England, because the issue become politicised rapidly, and before you know it, Trade Unions get involved, pressure groups, NGOs, liberal politicians etc. So in that sense, over here i don't see too many obstacles. Just keep trying and Insha'Allah you will obtain employment soon.

Muslima Islam
10-07-2008, 11:23 PM
they havent turned me away by actually saying it.. when i go in to hand in my resume they have one look at me and say we arent hiring now but we are taking resumes and they take my resume and not call. But i recently started wearing the full hijab and this never happened to me before i wore it.
thanks for all the advice and support :)
ill do prayers and dua's for a job.

Muslima Islam
10-08-2008, 12:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
where abouts do you live sister?
i know loads of hijabis who have got a job easily
i live in canada

noorseeker
10-08-2008, 06:11 AM
well canada is very tolerant

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.