/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Non-Islamic Salaat?

glo
10-06-2008, 11:56 AM
I came in another forum across a non-Muslim (a Christian actually), who is considering using the Islamic Salaat prayer movement for non-Islamic prayer.

To explain a little further, these are the points which she would adopt from the Islamic prayer:

• To pray five times daily
  • To use the prescribed movements
  • To wash before prayer
  • To cover her head and body during prayer

These are the points in which she would differ:
  • Not turning towards Mekka, but to another area of focus (could be a place or a candle - personal preference)
  • Praying to the Trinity
  • Neither praying the Islamic prayer, nor in Arabic

Now, I haven't decided yet, how I as a non-Muslim feel about her idea.

I thought I'd scope your opinions and thoughts by starting this thread and poll.

The options are left deliberately sumple. I basically want to know whether you think this is totally out of order, or perfectly alright, or something inbetween ...
Please feel free to give additional reasons and detail in your own posts.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamayun
10-10-2008, 04:03 PM
May Allah forgive me if I am wrong but...

The sister has the right intentions, she is praying to God, she is doing it 5 times a day. It can only be a good thing surely?

Even if it isn't 100% accurate according to us, it is a step in the right direction with the right intentions.

I say well done to the Sister who is willing to make a commitment like that :)

doorster
10-10-2008, 04:05 PM
how do Christians of Ethiopia pray? anybody know?

Keltoi
10-10-2008, 04:12 PM
I voted as a "bad idea", although I was leaning towards "doesn't matter much" as well. I decided on a bad idea because Christ, and His example of prayer, is all we need to imitate as far as our prayer life is concerned. I mean as Christians of course.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Cabdullahi
10-10-2008, 04:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I voted as a "bad idea", although I was leaning towards "doesn't matter much" as well. I decided on a bad idea because Christ, and His example of prayer, is all we need to imitate as far as our prayer life is concerned. I mean as Christians of course.
you dont read the scriptures:grumbling do u?

doorster
10-10-2008, 04:15 PM

Keltoi
10-10-2008, 04:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmedjunior
you dont read the scriptures:grumbling do u?
Yes, what aspect are you referring to?

Christ told us this in regards to prayer:

When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.
But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.
And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words. So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.

Cabdullahi
10-10-2008, 04:28 PM
http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...ml#post1011801

^
plz brother keltoi refer to my post that i had made before

Keltoi
10-10-2008, 04:33 PM
http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...ml#post1011801

^
plz brother keltoi refer to my post that i had made before
You didn't post anything regarding Christ's instructions for prayer. At least not that I saw. It was mainly Jewish custom, like circumcision and not eating pork.

Cabdullahi
10-10-2008, 04:48 PM
You didn't post anything regarding Christ's instructions for prayer. At least not that I saw. It was mainly Jewish custom, like circumcision and not eating pork.
typical! ok brother i wont say much, i would like to share with you what our beautiful master jesus said in the bible

And,behold
one came
and said
unto him
good master
what good thing
shall i do
that i may have eternal life(heaven)?
and he said
unto him
why callest
thou me good?
there is
none good
but one
that is god!
but
if thou wilt
keep the
commandments!! ,Matthew 19:16-17

How to keep the commandments??
answer is simple

if you love jesus then follow and copy him exactly

crayon
10-10-2008, 04:58 PM
I don't mind it, the way someone chooses to pray neither benefits nor disadvantages me, so they can pray however they like.

Cabdullahi
10-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Yes, what aspect are you referring to?

Christ told us this in regards to prayer:

When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.
But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret*, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.
And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition* as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words. So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.
brother the quote is from mathew 6:5

your understanding of the passage is mediocre

* go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret*
compare that with a modern christian and a muslim
modern christians do not follow this,they gather together and most definitely they do not pray in secret they become all hyped up in a frenzy saying alleluia alleluia with more than half of the attendants not knowing what they are actually saying and the dancing and singing is not secretive at all according to jesus! , and lastly for those who believe in the trinity they have totally gone against what this passage is trying to explain
what does the passage say again?
'pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.'
if jesus and the holy spirit was to be included then jesus would of said worship me and my father for both of us are one! but i cant find it in the bible

now how does a muslim pray,we come in side the mosque,close the door leave our shoes and wash our hands and face just like jesus,just like moses,aaron and abraham,everybody stands together side by side pin drop silence,we then humble ourselfs to pray to the secret god that is above his creation the only father (metaphorical father)we do not pray to jesus !no to the hovering about holy ghost, just allah

alleluia.......alleluia...alleamdulila......alhamd ulilah

Abdul Fattah
10-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Hi Glo

Woaw a very complex question again :)
I haven't vote yet, I'm on the fence. Instead I'll just give pro's and con's

Con:
* Praying to trinity is seen as a bad act, so as a Muslim I'd say the suggested form of prayer is bad to.
* This could have some negative long term effects. Say that this becomes common and popular among Christians, then that could cause even more confusion and sects not only among Christians but also among Muslims. As an example, I remember seeing a Church were Muslims and Christians were praying side to side, and Muslims also worshiped Mary. Now don't get me wrong, as much as I can appreciate the gesture of peaceful co-existence and respect, at the same time I feel inclined to strongly condemn this on the severity of the sin those Muslims committed. There are already many sects in Islam that commit shirk (=worshipping false deities beside Allah subhana wa ta'ala); I think I should disapprove of anything that could make that number of ill-guided Muslims even larger.
Pro:
* Doing this might bring this person to respect Islam more, perhaps even convert on the long term?
* Setting 5 daily times, and adding physical gestures will improve the focus, and perhaps even the quality of the prayer, possibly bringing this person closer to God.

Hard call, I don't wanna make it. Allah subhana wa ta'ala knows best =)

Danah
10-10-2008, 06:59 PM
I voted for > does not matter,
the most important thing is to whom the one pray....
but as the brother said above, it will let that sister respect Islam more since she chose to practice islamic movements in her Salat....which might be a good sign for further improvements in the future........

Allah know the best.

doorster
10-10-2008, 07:13 PM
@ Abdul Fattah sort of well done again! I'm gonna latch on to you from now on (to avoid getting censored) btw what is speculative theology and is it permissible/halal in your learned opinion?

Grace Seeker
10-10-2008, 07:34 PM
At first I was going to say that it didn't matter much, because I think that we can pray in any number of forms and all are acceptable to God. But then I also thought about the value to the individual in being so intentional in prayer. I know that many people are helped by adopting a particular posture in prayer and other personal rituals that help them to focus on God. And if doing these things helps her, than I guess that would be a good thing. So, I give it about a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10. I would be careful that one did not adopt them because one was seeking to be some sort of hybrid Muslim-Christian in one's prayer life. In that sense, I would not speak of adopting Muslim patterns, but only that one's personal pattern were not that different from those that Muslims also use. And I would also be careful to not let focusing on the form, pattern, or ritual end up becoming more the focus of one's prayer than God himself. Remember, "The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath" (Mark 2:27).

Amadeus85
10-10-2008, 07:38 PM
I think that we, muslims and christians have such different religious tradition that it is not good idea to mix it up. Of course we can do it, but the question is simply - "What for"?.

Keltoi
10-10-2008, 08:41 PM
typical! ok brother i wont say much, i would like to share with you what our beautiful master jesus said in the bible

And,behold
one came
and said
unto him
good master
what good thing
shall i do
that i may have eternal life(heaven)?
and he said
unto him
why callest
thou me good?
there is
none good
but one
that is god!
but
if thou wilt
keep the
commandments!! ,Matthew 19:16-17

How to keep the commandments??
answer is simple

if you love jesus then follow and copy him exactly
Well, if I might also use your word, it is typical that you pulled this out of context and didn't finish the chapter.

18 He asked him, "Which ones?" And Jesus replied, " 'You shall not kill; you shall not commit adultery; you shall not steal; you shall not bear false witness;
honor your father and your mother'; and 'you shall love your neighbor as yourself.'"

20 The young man said to him, "All of these I have observed. What do I still lack?"
Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to (the) poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
When the young man heard this statement, he went away sad, for he had many possessions.
23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Amen, I say to you, it will be hard for one who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven.
Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for one who is rich to enter the kingdom of God."
25 When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and said, "Who then can be saved?"
Jesus looked at them and said, "For human beings this is impossible, but for God all things are possible."
Then Peter said to him in reply, "We have given up everything and followed you. What will there be for us?"
28 Jesus said to them, "Amen, I say to you that you who have followed me, in the new age, when the Son of Man is seated on his throne of glory, will yourselves sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
And everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands for the sake of my name will receive a hundred times more, and will inherit eternal life.
30 But many who are first will be last, and the last will be first.

alcurad
10-11-2008, 02:48 AM
I second abdul fattah as well. but this is the first time I've ever heard of such a thing...

MustafaMc
10-11-2008, 03:10 AM
I am a Muslim and I think it is a bad idea. Perhaps the intentions are good, but I see it as hypocritical at best and mocking of Islam at worst. Salah was prescribed by Allah to Muhammad (saaws) during the night journey to Jerusalem (al-Isra) and the ascension to Heaven (al-Mi'raj). It is the fundamental act that separates a believer from an unbeliever that is recognized the world over as Islamic worship of Allah. Salah begins with Bismillah Rahmani Raheem, In the Name of Allah, the Most Merciful, the Most Compassionate and it does NOT end "In the name of your Son, Jesus".

Nawal89
10-11-2008, 03:25 AM
^I agree totally with Mustafa. Salat is not just about the movements. We bow and we prostrate to God as how Muhammad sallallah alayh wa sallam taught his follwers to do. Salah is what Allah prescribed for those who believe in him and follow his messenger. To pray like that without reading in it what Rasulullah taught, and mentioning words of shirk in it would be total mockery. Its painful even to think of it.

north_malaysian
10-11-2008, 04:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
I've seen from either Discovery ot NAtl Geographuc about a search og the Lost Ark in Ethiopia....the Ethiopian Coptic Orthodox Churches are as empty as a mosque and they prayer movement is almost just like the Muslims (with ruku' and sujud)...

The white guy in that documentary even commented that those Ethiopians pray like Muslims..

And years ago I've seen an Israeli movie called "Women", a rabbi pray almost likely as the Muslims too...

I think the way we performing the salah existed before Prophet Muhammad was here... just with a lil bit of differences

doorster
10-11-2008, 04:59 AM
yay! someone can see my posts

thanks for reply wa salam :)

Questfortruth
10-11-2008, 05:10 AM
I don't care if a Christian uses this method of worship. But I would discourage muslims from starting new ways of worship.

Malaikah
10-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Glo,

Did she mention her reasons for wanting to pray that way?

Cabdullahi
10-11-2008, 09:20 AM
'And going a little farther,
He threw Himself upon the ground on His face and prayed saying,oh My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass away from Me; nevertheless, not what I will [not what I desire], but as You will and desire'. Matthew 26:39

'Then David rose from the ground washed (ablution) & anointed himself & put on fresh clothes,he entered the house of lord & prostrated (sujood) himself ther' Samuel 12:20

'They shall wash their hands feet so that will not die,this is to be a lasting ordinance for Aaron & his decendants for the generations to come' Exodus 30:21

'And Moses & Aaron & his son used it to wash their hands & feet'
Exodus 40:31

I will praise YOU as long as i live & in your name,i will lift up my hands
PSALM 63:4

And Abraham fell on his face & God talked with him...
Genesis 17:3

...they fell upon their faces & the glory of the Lord appeared unto them
Number 20:6

fell to the earth upon his face before the ark of the Lord until eventide...
Joshua 7:6

...they boned themselves with their faces to the ground upon the pavement,worshipped...
2 Chronicles 7:3

...Lifting up their hands & they bowed their heads & worshipped the LORD with their faces to the ground...
Nehemiah 8:61

Even Jesus pbuh disciples heard this ,they fell facedown to the ground,terrified
Mathew 17:6

...bent down to the ground & put his face between his knees..
1 Kings 18:42

...they knelt on the pavement with their faces to the ground,and they worshipped & gave thanks to the LORD
2 Chronicles 7:3

...fell before the throne on their faces and worshipped God...
Revelations 7:11

Come let us bow down in worship,let us kneel before the LORD our Maker
Psalm 95:6

...all who go down to the dust will kneel before him...
Psalm 22:29

Manoah & his wife fell with their faces to the ground..
Judges 13:20

When all the people & cried -
"THE LORD - HE IS GOD!"
"THE LORD - HE IS GOD!"
1 Kings 18:39

...I fell upon my face & cried & said : Oh Lord God!
Ezekiel 9:8

...David rose out of place toward the south & felldown his face to the grounds bowed himself three times..
1 Samuel 20:41

And Joshua fell on his face to the earth,& his worship & said unto him,what saith my LORD unto his servant?
Joshua 5:14

..And it came to pass,that,when Abrahams servant heard their words,he worshipped the Lord Bowing himself to the earth...
Genesis 24:52

Sister glo praying like muslims is not a bad idea,if you want to fall on your face and pray to god ,like (abraham,jesus,david,joshua and moses) then do that but dont pray to 3 but only 1*

*"I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is no one like Me" Isaiah 46:9

north_malaysian
10-11-2008, 10:05 AM
yay! someone can see my posts

thanks for reply wa salam :)
Yayyy!!!;D

YusufNoor
10-11-2008, 12:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I came in another forum across a non-Muslim (a Christian actually), who is considering using the Islamic Salaat prayer movement for non-Islamic prayer.

To explain a little further, these are the points which she would adopt from the Islamic prayer:

• To pray five times daily
  • To use the prescribed movements
  • To wash before prayer
  • To cover her head and body during prayer

the point isn't to just pray 5 times daily, the point is base your life around the 5 Fard[mandatory] prayers; pre-sunrise becomes Fajr, (after sunrise - Duha), just past noon becomes Duhr, mid afternoon becomes Asr, just after sunset becomes Mahgrib and total darkness becomes Isha (with Tahhajud time before Fajr again. Allah[swt] gives us everything for free, so we dedicate our time for Him[swt]. it's HARDER to give in to Shaytan[to sin] when Allah[swt] is foremost on your mind and i'll see if i can link a Muft Menk lecture where he discusses how "Islamic" prayer can actually train you to avoid sin!

there ARE health benefits for the "movements" and wuduu, but it may take a wee bit of time to find a good link.

covering the head and body are good ESPECIALLY if they lead to doing the same whenever in public!

These are the points in which she would differ:
[LIST][*]Not turning towards Mekka, but to another area of focus (could be a place or a candle - personal preference)[*]Praying to the Trinity[*]Neither praying the Islamic prayer, nor in Arabic[/LIST

these be the bad parts...

Now, I haven't decided yet, how I as a non-Muslim feel about her idea.

I thought I'd scope your opinions and thoughts by starting this thread and poll.

The options are left deliberately sumple. I basically want to know whether you think this is totally out of order, or perfectly alright, or something inbetween ...
Please feel free to give additional reasons and detail in your own posts.

:sl:

listen to, if you so desire, to the lecture entitled Salaah:

http://www.nazirakoob.com/menk/Vol1.html

and again, [and don't think i'm picking on you!], give this a listen if you ever have time:

http://www.kalamullah.com/al-fatihah.html

we don't use Arabic "just because!" it is used because it is the perfect vehicle for Worshipping Allah[swt] from someone who pretty much flunked English and had NO DESIRE WHATSOEVER to learn a "foreign" language, i am continually AMAZED to the beauty and the utility of Quraish Arabic!

it's almost Fajr time, i need to go make wudu! i hope that you find these words useful!

:w:

Snowflake
10-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Hi Glo,

I share similar views to Abdul Fattah's on this. The plus point is that it shows interest and acceptability of some aspects of Islam. So there is a very good chance of it increasing and leading to reversion. On the other hand I feel slightly uncomfortable to think someone is praying in the 'Islamic' way, yet associating partners with God. Instead of voting, I opted for the safest way out, which is asking Allah to guide all the non muslims to the Truth. Ameen

*Hana*
10-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Peace Glo:

This was an excellent question and food for thought. :sunny:

I have to agree totally with my knowledgeable brother MustafaMc. In my opinion he is absolutely right.

There are reasons Muslims pray the way they do. It means something and is not just a mindless "line dance" so to speak. This person following the motions is pointless really. If someone asked her why she did that, how would she answer? She couldn't. To be honest, the covering part of her created ritual is the most strange in my opinion. Muslim women don't cover just for prayer. We cover most of the time because we are ordained to cover to protect our modesty at all times. (In the same way a Nun does. A Nun doesn't cover and uncover upon entering and leaving a church). So, what reason would this lady give for covering during prayer?

I think she has to seriously look at WHY she is doing this. It's like she is just blindly copying the Muslim prayer with no rhyme nor reason for it.

It would be like me following the Catholic Christian actions, of receiving the host, making the sign of the cross, shaking hands and saying "peace", etc., and then saying, "but I'm doing it in an Islamic way" :muddlehea

It makes no sense at all. So, after reading and thinking about it, I just don't think it's a good idea and is certainly not logical. However, it sounds like she is slowly being guided towards Islam, so Alhamdulillah for that! :sunny:

Excellent question and very thought provoking. I'm looking forward to reading other opinions.

Thanks Glo! :happy:

With peace,
Hana

Snowflake
10-11-2008, 12:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
I am a Muslim and I think it is a bad idea. Perhaps the intentions are good, but I see it as hypocritical at best and mocking of Islam at worst. Salah was prescribed by Allah to Muhammad (saaws) during the night journey to Jerusalem (al-Isra) and the ascension to Heaven (al-Mi'raj). It is the fundamental act that separates a believer from an unbeliever that is recognized the world over as Islamic worship of Allah. Salah begins with Bismillah Rahmani Raheem, In the Name of Allah, the Most Merciful, the Most Compassionate and it does NOT end "In the name of your Son, Jesus".
As I understand it, the question was regarding the movements of the salah only.

YusufNoor
10-11-2008, 02:21 PM

Benefits of Wudu: [taken from here:http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...003410AASSaHm]

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
Asalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakathuhu.

Wudu and its medical benefits:

In a scientific study carried out by a number of medical professors of a university of one of the Arab Muslim countries it was confirmed that a person who performs Wudu’ (Ritual Ablution) five times a day cleanses his nose from germs, dust and other connected things. It was also confirmed that those who do not perform Wudu’ (Ritual Ablution) are more liable to a number of different kinds of germs, nearly 11 kinds of germs.

Undoubtedly, Wudu’ (Ritual Ablution) protects the body from mycosis in the toes, skin infections and suppurations as well as pus accumulations. It also minimizes possibility of skin cancers, as it removes chemical substances from the skin before they accumulate thereon. That is why skin cancers are rare in Islamic countries.

Also, massage of the different parts of the body, which is done in Wudu’ (Ritual Ablution), stimulates blood circulation and causes more blood to flow through the whole body, particularly to the brain and kidneys. Moreover, Wudu’ prevents mal-function of the central nerve system and activates memory. In this context, it goes without saying that in Islam Salat (Prayer) is not proper or acceptable away from purity of body, garments, and place of prayer. To this effect, Abi Malik Al-Ash’ari, quoted Allah’s Messenger, (PBUH), as saying, “Cultic purity constitutes one half of Faith. (Invoking), ‘Praise belongs to Allah!’ fills the Scale (of man’s good deeds). (Invoking), ‘Glory and Praise belong to Allah!’ fills all that is between the heavens and the earth. Salat (Prayer) is light. Charity is evidence. Patience is enlightenment. And the Quran is a proof either for you or against you. Every one goes along (a different wake of life), purchasing one’s own self: either setting it free (from sins and misdeeds) or jailing it (in sins and misdeeds).” [Narrated by Muslim (223), At-Tirmithi (3517), Ibn Majah (280), Ahmad (22953), and Ad-Darimi (653)]

By virtue of statistics carried out by the International Health Organization, the number of people that suffer from diseases caused by impurity or dirtiness was amazingly 300,000,000 people. Intentionally or unintentionally, however, Muslims, who are commanded to perform Wudu’ (Ritual Ablution), are free from such diseases, simply because Wudu’ (Ritual Ablution) prevents such diseases of impurity that are, therefore, unknown among Muslims.

It has been rightly said: “Making use of something is not part of the knowledge thereof.” In other words, it is possible that you perform Wudu’ (Ritual Ablution) by way of obedience to the Lord, Allah, All-Mighty, and, hence, you reap the good fruits thereof, even though you may not know all, or any, of the benefits of Wudu’. If you desire to get the benefits of Allah’s Divine Commands, all you have to do is to obey them, believing that they are the Absolute Good coming from Allah, All-Mighty, Most Gracious.

To sum up, when man commits himself to Allah’s Divine Religion, he is made to live in utmost happiness and prosperity, utmost welfare and protection, utmost security and safety, and utmost success and achievement. This is because welfare, all welfare, prosperity, all prosperity, success, all success, excellence, all excellence, and wisdom, all wisdom, are in obeying the Lord, Allah, All-Mighty, Most Gracious. To this effect, Allah, Glory to Him, says, “And whosoever obeys Allah and His Messenger has indeed achieved a great achievement.” [XXXIII; 71]

and of course, Allah[swt] knows best!

:w:

Woodrow
10-13-2008, 06:13 AM
Having been raised as a strict Catholic in the 1940s I find very little differnce in the way Muslims pray and they way the old Catholics used too. I voted it is a good idea as in some ways it was my old Catholic upbringing that helped me see the beauty and truth of Islam.

The Khan
10-13-2008, 06:19 AM

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=aSkj9-...eature=related

Warning: wind & string instruments in the song.

Ethipian Orthodox Christians perform Salah thrice daily facing East. This is similar to how Sephardic Jews still pray. Ashkenazi Jews used to pray like this until a century ago, but now, however, only do so during Yom Kippur and other important fast days.

Follower
11-01-2008, 12:21 AM
glo- LOL!! Tell her to take up yoga and continue praying in the way Jesus has taught us!!

glo
11-18-2008, 11:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
Glo,

Did she mention her reasons for wanting to pray that way?
I think she felt the focus on a fixed ritual was helpful to her.
Incidentally, I haven't heard of she is still doing it, and how she is getting on.

She did mention that she felt a little uneasy about doing something which Muslims may perceive to be blasphemous ... which I why I asked the question here.

Thanks all, for your input! It's much appreciated. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.