/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My parents against me marrying

AnonymousPoster
10-06-2008, 01:03 PM
:sl:

I feel so frustrat3ed and confused. When I read upon Islam, I see that Islam encourages us to get married young. Than I look into my parents thinking and its so different. I have recently tried to tell my mother that I am interested to get married. She began to freak out, and started reminding me that I have just turned 16. Just because I am 16 doesn't mean that I am blind/deaf and my brain is dead. Another shocker is the fact that the guy I want to marry is not an afghani, which shatters my parents universe. Hes of Somali origin, Ive known him ever since I was 10. He's an amazing Muslim, is very righteous, never misses his prayers (He's very handsome mashallah). And we love each other. I know that he's only 18 and not wealthy, but thats ok with me. He's a good student so he will make money from his profession when he graduates enshaALlah. I know that my parents think that I dont know what love is, but I honestly do. We went to the same schools, our families know each other. Not closely, just as muslims in one community. I have heard my parents speak in their bedroom, "she doesnt know what shes doing, shes bringing shame upon herself, wasting her beauty, her heritage, there are many afghan men who would die to marry her". I was so terrified to hear that. What am I? Am I not a Muslimah, who was given the intellect, the heart, the right to choose her own husband? Why can't they come together for me and give me the same beautiful wedding my sis got (except she married an afghan). Duas pls. and some advice.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mikayeel
10-06-2008, 06:46 PM

Thread approved

Am sorry to read about this. First of all make dua to Allah so he can make this situation easy for u.

16 Years is indeed young, nd people do make mistakes nd rush into things. Am not saying to you will but thats the general mood these days, that might be the reason why your parents are so worried about it. You could change their view by being mature (which by the looks of it you are hamdulilah) and showing them that you really intend to get married, and that you are fully capable of taking the responsibility! Show the quran and authentic hadith that marriage is adviced at a young age. Do this at a slow pace, do not expect their views to change overnight.

Its really sad to see the cultural barrier being an issue here :( U must make ur parents understand that everyone in the eyes of Allah is the same. No matter wher they are from! Black, yellow white or yellow all the same.... He did not have an option of being what he is, so he should not be judged upon that! U must make that point to ur parents in a well mannered way. U must understand that they really care about u, and they want the best for u! They clearly think that marrying a person from ur own cultural will be the best thing for both of u. One must remember tho that we are muslims first, then what ever u classify ur self as second. So inshAllah u will get through this problem with ease!

I know how it feels, I have been through it my self :(

At the end of the day remember Allah knows whats best for u, and he plans the best for u!

:w: :)

Ashjan95
10-06-2008, 07:03 PM

HEY sis no worries all u need to do is make duaa and pray hun and pluse
no1 can change wat will happen it is all written down and allah knows wat will happen but try to give ur mum and dad good advice for marrying hu u want:Mosque::Koran:

Hope u get it all done they way u want it.....:D

:w:

Zahida
10-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Listen to the advice of bro Mikayeel ...... My daughter turns 16 in two years and if she told me she wants to get married at that age i would have cats, kittens, rabbitts!!!!!!!!!!!! Baby life is one big test .. why do you want to rush things?? Gain knowledge and strength and take things slow. I admire your commitment to this guy, and if Allah wills it to be this way it will, i guess what i am trying to say is take your time there is no rush and if he truley loves you like you say you love him he will join forces with you and work with you for your parents consent............ blah blah blah. Sorry. I honestly genuinely am getting wound up about this i am a teacher of girls aged 11-18 and i see this everyday, I see girls making decisions rashly because it is some kind of escapism for them, i see all sorts and it scares me .............

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
SixTen
10-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Hmm, I will not disadvice marriage at a young age, because Islam does encourage it, so your intentions cannot be made to be wrong.

However, please do consider your parents in your decision, and by all means, do not become "against" your parents, do not create that hostility between you and them. You have got your intentions out, and they will want whats best for you. So over time, who knows, maybe they may come around.

The sister above, also provided some important advice. Sometimes you may think you know somthing that you don't. Your parents may just see it as just that - and they are probably wiser than you. So do be understanding and open minded to why they against the idea. It wouldn't be to "ruin" your life.

ayan333
10-06-2008, 08:22 PM

well sis...im 17 n i have sure as heck dont have guts to talk to my Parents about marriage..i cant even mention it!

but anywho..im Somalian..n its all the same..when their children try to marry outside the Somali culture they freak but now its becomming the norm

16 is young but if you feel readyand are sure that you'' have no regrets later InshALLAH then it shouldnt be a problem sis

were do u live if you dnt mind me asking

Zahida
10-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Thankyou sixten for backing me up. I am sorry but like i said i see this thing everyday and it is upsetting and both scary for me.............. In some situations it becomes frustrating when i see young girls with so much potential and their whole life ahead of them (Allah willing) to make wrong choices/decisions and this is because they have not been educated about such matters in an Islamic way. I am currently in discussion with our school head for maybe counselling/advice for Muslim girls ............... any advice ideas am open to suggestions please. Thankyou.

S_87
10-06-2008, 08:36 PM
sis if u really like him and are sure about this then may Allah make it easy for you.

Think like your parents for a second. They probably think you are going through a phase and dont know what youre doing and thats their right. They are thinking like parents.
Theyll worry about if he can support you, which like you said, after he graduates inshaAllah but what about in between? they are your parents and are probably thinking about what they think is best for you, even if you dont think it is.
InshaAllah they will come round though!

Ibn Abi Ahmed
10-06-2008, 08:38 PM

Firstly Sister, may Allaah make it easy for you and reward you very much for expressing the desire to have a halal relationship through marriage. May He bestow upon you patience towards achieving your goal.

I feel so frustrat3ed and confused. When I read upon Islam, I see that Islam encourages us to get married young.
You are definitely correct. The Prophet (saw) encouraged us to marry young, and he put with it a condition saying in the hadeeth: "Whoever among you can marry, should marry.." Sometimes, we overlook the first portion of this hadeeth and focus upon the part where it says "should marry". This is a mistake because there is a difference between 'should marry' and 'can marry'; marriage comes with a lot of responsibility and not everyone that reads the hadeeth is at the level of 'can marry'. Especially with sisters, they have to be able to deal with a lot from us brothers. Being able to marry means being, physically, mentally, emotionally, religiously mature. I am positive you feel you are ready in all these areas, but give it a year and you'll look back and realize that you've grown where you thought you couldn't.

I have recently tried to tell my mother that I am interested to get married.
Trust me, your mother's reaction is normal. Look at it from her perspective. She's been raising you for the past 16 years, and all of a sudden you're expressing a desire (which you can't be blamed for of course) to leave her and live with a man. From her perspective that's scary because in her eyes, you're still that baby that needed her for everything. This isn't specific to you, this is the case with most mothers. No matter how old their children get, they will always see us as we were when we were 5, i.e. with the same love, concern, and care.

You need to have a method of approach in these things. You need to show them that you are mature, things that will show them that you are ready for family life. It can be little things such as, washing the dishes, laundry, cleaning the house, being financially responsible, waking up for Fajr without being told to, taking care of others, etc. You need to show them that you can deal with married life and its demands. Once you've been doing these things for a while and they've noticed it, you can subtly drop in hints that you want to get married. You know your parents best, so you know what they respond to positively and what they don't, so be smart in the way you bring this subject up.

Just because I am 16 doesn't mean that I am blind/deaf and my brain is dead.
Your right. And at the same time, you need to understand that what you are going through is a phase. Take this advice from someone that's been there and remembers exactly what it feels like to be going through what you're going through. I'm positive you're serious about marrying this brother, but there are things that you might not be aware of. There might be small habits this brother has that you might not be able to deal with 6 months into the marriage. You don't know how the brother really is and you can't know that until you're actually married to him and living with him everyday. Believe me, there is a phase of being 'in love', where everything looks rosy and sweet, but marriage is not a bed of roses. It's tough, it's demanding and it needs patience, maturity and understanding.

When I was your age I too wanted to just get married and whatever comes after that, I'll take care of it. It was a rosy and romantic scenario. Why? Because 1) I thought I was in love with this sister, 2) I thought everything would work out. 3) I was ignoring many of the things that come with marriage. I was probably prepared on the physical level, but mental, emotional, level most teenagers are not prepared. Looking back at myself now, I know for sure that I definitely wasn't prepared at that time. A lot of people feel the same exact way. There's growth and what I wanted in a wife back then has changed to what I want in a wife now. Most people go through this growth.

Another shocker is the fact that the guy I want to marry is not an afghani, which shatters my parents universe.
That's to be expected. When a child marries, the parents themselves are looking to get something out of the marriage. The Mother looks for an extension of her social network, i.e. she wants the marriage to make her connect with more women. The Father looks for social standing. He wants to make sure that people don't say anything derogatory about him, his family and his child. So you need to think in this perspective. What are my parents going to get out of this marriage? And you need to bring out what pertains to them.

When you want to marry out of your culture, many parents have different concerns than their children. What they're seeing here is along the lines of: 'What will happen to the children?'. 'What if the grandchildren won't be able to communicate with our family?'. 'What if there is a culture clash between our families?', 'How will our families interact?' and more. They are very valid concerns which need to be sorted out before these marriages can take place. You should also keep in mind that your culture very much defines you. You don't see it now, but when you grow older you'll notice that you're more like your parents than you can see at this time, and those little cultural habits that you're soo used to now, which you overlook, these will turn into significant issues later, a year or two into marriage when you're over the "in love" phase.

Secondly, the way you talk to your parents very much matters. Your mother needs to be spoken to in an emotional way. Women respond more to 'emotional' language. I feel vs I think. So when you speak to your mother, appeal to her emotions. Try to make her understand what you are going through. The father on the other hand needs to be spoken to rationally. Men are emotionally-challenged, so telling your father that you're in love is making the worst-possible case to him and its like giving him complete reason to think that you're immature. Appeal to his rationale; show him rationally the benefits of this marriage. Men's brains are tuned to information, and if they perceive a lack of information in a conversation, their brains doze off. So when speaking to him, bring out facts and things that would make him think that you're marriage to this brother is a smart decision. So communicate with each of your parents in a way that would appeal to them.

And we love each other.
You need to make sure that this 'love' is not blinding you to other aspects of marriage. When people love someone, they naturally have this feeling that this person is close to perfect and potential issues get overshadowed and in the background. He gets angry easily? It's ok, I love him and he loves me, so we'll sort that out after marriage, after all, how hard can it be when we love each other? I wished that it worked that way, but it doesn't. This phase that you're experiencing right now, it may be love, but the point is, actual, real love only comes after marriage. When you've lived with this person and you know each other very much and you take the good side of the person along with not-so-good side. That's when you truly love this person.

Marriage is not easy. You're going to be living and sharing EVERY aspect of your life with this person and vice versa and you need to make sure that you can do that.

I know that he's only 18 and not wealthy, but thats ok with me. He's a good student so he will make money from his profession when he graduates enshaALlah.
See this is exactly what I was alluding to above. You love him, so financial standing is getting thrown into the background. The male needs to be able to provide for the wife, it's one of the things that is crucial for him to establish his Qawama.

Believe me when I tell you that you are subconsciously throwing other things in the background as well.

What am I? Am I not a Muslimah, who was given the intellect, the heart, the right to choose her own husband?
You definetly have the right to choose who you want to marry. However, Islaam does not give you the right to marry without your Wali's permission, who at the moment is your father. Trust me, you do not want to marry a person based on an emotion at the expense of your family. Your family is your support. Your father is your spokesperson and your lawyer per say. He is the one that will back you and your needs up in front of your in-laws. He's your pillar of support. Don't marry without his permission because if you do, and two years down the line your marriage ends in divorce, who will you go back to?

Sister, there are A LOT of things to consider before marriage. It is very unwise to simply marry based off of an emotion. Decisions about marriage need to be made emotionally and rationally. A lot of brothers and sisters are going through what you are going through, and even if what I've written sounds like I don't agree with marrying young, I really do. In fact, I honestly believe marrying young is very beneficial, especially in this society and very good for halal companionship. And at the same time, you cannot turn a blind eye to the reality of marriage and what exactly spending your nights and days with another human being entails. I've come to this understanding of seeing people that are awesome, pious and educated getting married young and ending in divorce some time down the line. Why? Because they didn't do all their homework before getting married. Likewise, with intercultural marriages. I've seen them and I've seen a lot of them (not all, Alhamdullilah) end in divorce because the two spouses weren't able to cope with cultural differences because they lacked the maturity.

These are life-changing decisions, and they need to be made after a lot of thought, research, understanding, mutual consultation (especially with parents and family), rationally, and yes, emotionally as well. It all goes together.

I hope that Allaah makes it easy for you, and for all the other youth who are experiencing the same as you. I hope He grants us patience and understanding to make the correct decision and that He guides us in all our affairs to that which is of benefit to us here in this life and in Hereafter. Ameen.

AnonymousPoster
10-06-2008, 08:43 PM
dang your mom is coooooooooote,

May Allaah mek things easy fo yah,

Ciao =)

BlissfullyJaded
10-06-2008, 08:48 PM

I guess your parents are reacting more to him being Somali, than to your being just 16? Or they're assuming that you're making a rash decision just because you're 16.

Don't feel angered with them sis, cuz they do care about you. Unfortunately, we do run with our emotions as teens and feel we totally know what is good for us and that our parents are just meant to give in. But they do have more wisdom than us...and we realize that later on after the fact. Their logic may not sound right, and it may not be a good enough reason to reject a dude just because there are Afghan guys out there who would die to marry you. But sometimes, we think something is good for us, and Allah knows its bad for us. This brother does sound wonderful mashaAllah, but perhaps there is better out there for you? I understand that you've known the brother for a while, but still there are things which will be hidden from you.

Make istikhara about it...and ask Allah for sincere guidance in making the correct choice. Only He knows what is in the hearts of men... If it all still feels 100% positive, then go for it, but maybe make a compromise and try to go for a somewhat long engagement and maybe that way both families can get closer and learn more about each other and when the nikaah time comes around your parents hearts will be more at ease.

transition?
10-06-2008, 11:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zahida
Listen to the advice of bro Mikayeel ...... My daughter turns 16 in two years and if she told me she wants to get married at that age i would have cats, kittens, rabbitts!!!!!!!!!!!! Baby life is one big test .. why do you want to rush things?? Gain knowledge and strength and take things slow. I admire your commitment to this guy, and if Allah wills it to be this way it will, i guess what i am trying to say is take your time there is no rush and if he truley loves you like you say you love him he will join forces with you and work with you for your parents consent............ blah blah blah. Sorry. I honestly genuinely am getting wound up about this i am a teacher of girls aged 11-18 and i see this everyday, I see girls making decisions rashly because it is some kind of escapism for them, i see all sorts and it scares me .............

I agree about the escapism. Everyone would like to get married, but we have to be strong ourselves first, before depending on a person to solve our problems of temptations. Even when you're married, the temptations are still there. There are still *****ish looking women and braggart men showing off.
Marriage does not solve all your or society's problems. Everyone has their individual tests no matter what in life.

I don't know if this pertains to you though sister. I am just elaborating on the point. InshaAllah, you will eventually work out the situation with your parents or devise a plan to convince them. Allah (swt) gives us tests so we may succeed and grow in faith. He give us Problems so we may find new Wisdom. =)

Intisar
10-07-2008, 03:02 AM
:sl: Firstly I'd like to say ameen to bro Abu Sayyad's dua. I was in the same situation earlier this year. Met a brother through a friend who was interested in me, so I had a few meetings with my mahram present and he seemed like a really good person, had high goals (he's a pre-med student mashaaAllaah studying at one of the top universities in Canada), he was handsome, sweet, and had very good respect for women. :)

So I prayed istikhara, asked Allaah to guide me and to make matters easy on me, mind you I was only 17 at that time, about to turn 18. Sooo anywho's, my father met with his father, got all dressed up for a nice dinner and all he told me that the brother seemed very suitable for me. So now we got down to business, talking about when were to get married, how much he'd pay for the mahr, etc.

Most Somalis will completely understand where I'm coming from when I say this! Tribe is a big issue in our country unfortunately! It's one of our downfalls and for some, marrying out of your tribe can lead to dishonour subhanAllaah. :(

Basically the brother was from a different tribe than I was and my Dad had no problem with that he just knew that the brother's parents would. So basically, his mother insulted me infront of my face and used a very derogatory Somali word because of my tribe. It was devastating wallaahi, just when I thought everything was going swell. So I told my Dad and he advised me to stay away from them and that if marriage comes to you, then it will because it's Qadrullah.

I talked to the brother with my mahram present just kind of telling him what his mom said and he told me that he wasn't really surprised because it's already a problem within his family. I was very very shocked subhanAllaah, I was wondering why he didn't tell me this beforehand?

Besides that, I was really starting to get confused about his character, but I made du'a and asked Allaah to guide me to the right path and the right choice (whether I should go through with the nikah or not) and let's just say alhamdulilah that I didn't!

I know many young couples who get married in their teenage years but I'm so glad that Allaah didn't make it my qadr to marry him. Basically, his character was a bit sketchy and he did something so terrible to me that I will never in my life ever forget. Lakiin 3afis inshaaAllaah, I'm not holding a grudge. :)

Marriage can either be a burden for some, or a blessing for others it depends on your compatibility. It's a give and take, you must make certain sacrifices for your husband and vice versa. Just know that your life will never be the same when you get married (inshaAllaah if that happens!), salvage what you have left of your single life if you're really serious about it sis.

And may Allaah make matters easy on you.

PS: I'd also suggest doing a little background check, meeting up with his family, getting to know his family!

Somali families are very hard to please, I'll tell you that much. ;D

nocturnal
10-07-2008, 03:47 AM
you're contemplating marriage at 16? look, focus on a career, let him do the same, give yourselves time, and don't do anything haraam. And when sufficent time elapses, you'll know when to broach the issue with your folks.

Yes Islam prescribes getting married at an early age, but this conclusion should be reached after taking into consideration many factors, not just the teenage whimsical disneyland concept of "i love him, he loves me and we plan to live happily ever after".

nocturnal
10-07-2008, 03:55 AM
Abu Sayyad, while i agree with a fair amount of the counsel you're giving her, i think you're being a bit too idealistic. Trying to conflate Islamic values and rationale as per today's standards just simply cannot be done.

The only middle ground here is retain ties, focus on what you want to do, whether it's work, study, soul searching etc. Do it, within the parameters of Islam of course, and remember that this is 2008, and statistics don't lie. Divorce rates are soaring higher than the Burj el Arab, don't get caught up in the romanticism of falling in love with someone from another backkground, albeit Islamic, when you know that invariably your folks are going to flip the switch and you'll witness a parental volcanic explosion like never before. Take it from me.

Where do you think he's going to be then? standing by you when you're being reprimanded all the way to the gates of hell? (like McCain says).

Zahida
10-07-2008, 08:49 AM
:sl: JazakAllah for your comments maybe we all need to work together as Muslim brothers and sistersand educate our youngsters............:w::bump:
format_quote Originally Posted by transition?

I agree about the escapism. Everyone would like to get married, but we have to be strong ourselves first, before depending on a person to solve our problems of temptations. Even when you're married, the temptations are still there. There are still *****ish looking women and braggart men showing off.
Marriage does not solve all your or society's problems. Everyone has their individual tests no matter what in life.

I don't know if this pertains to you though sister. I am just elaborating on the point. InshaAllah, you will eventually work out the situation with your parents or devise a plan to convince them. Allah (swt) gives us tests so we may succeed and grow in faith. He give us Problems so we may find new Wisdom. =)

ayan333
10-07-2008, 09:48 AM

Somali families are very hard to please, I'll tell you that much.

i understand sis...but im so lost when it comes to tribes..my Mother always tol dus that when some one asks us what tribe we're form jus simply say we ara Muslim and leave it at that...

ive never been asked and InshALLAH itll stay that way

i belive you that its hard to please Somali families although ive never seen it..or i have im jus to blind to notice

let me say..you a strong girl...to face your parents about marriage..couldnt be me..im 17 now,n like i said before i couldnt eveeeer mention the m word to them..SubhanALLAH

InshALLAH yall will all meet the man of your dreams.a righteous one ofcourse,and you'll all have righteous children who fear ALLAH (SWA)

AnonymousPoster
10-07-2008, 01:35 PM

I appreciate all the responses. although I must admit that most of you are plain negative. The Muslim I intend to marry comes from a wonderful Family, hamdulilah. He has sisters whom I'm closesly friends with, I know a lot about his character not only through knowing him personally but also through the people that live with him. My brother and him are the same age (both 18) they get along fine and have always been like brothers.

I am not going to marry his family. I know that they will be part of my life, and I am looking forward to it. The family is very practising & openminded. They're not into tribes etc they are actually mixed with Yemeni. Although I know that most somalis are obsessed with tribes but this is hamdulilah not the case for this family. I have known them almost my entire life. It's just our parents that don't know each other so well, and in time they will enchallah.

Most Somalis will completely understand where I'm coming from when I say this! Tribe is a big issue in our country unfortunately! It's one of our downfalls and for some, marrying out of your tribe can lead to dishonour subhanAllaah.
Not for all somalis sis (Not his Family). The Family is married into several different tribes & even other races.

I think you are generalizing. I could say the exact same thing about Afgani Families. And so could a Pakistani, indian etc. What differenciates people is their level in deen, personality, their outlook in life etc. Not everyone is the same, thank god for that.

'What if the grandchildren won't be able to communicate with our family?'. 'What if there is a culture clash between our families?', 'How will our families interact?' and more.
If we all worried about that no one would have ever married into another Race different to ours. We are Muslims we'll find a way enchaallah. Our parents both speak fluent english by the way.

. Believe me, there is a phase of being 'in love', where everything looks rosy and sweet, but marriage is not a bed of roses. It's tough, it's demanding and it needs patience, maturity and understanding.
enchaAllah we will make sure that we keep our fire burning. Love is not temporary, if its true it will last forever. I see how my auntie & uncle are towards each other, they look so in love and happy even after 17 years of marriage.

I am fully aware of that fact and totally agree with you. I am not running away from a life filled with sorrow and want some man to save me from it. I know exactly what I am doing, I come from a very happy household and my relationship with my parents is close & very healthy. I can go to them and tell them anything. They have raised us to be that openminded and to never fear them but Allah.

However, Islaam does not give you the right to marry without your Wali's permission, who at the moment is your father.
I have no intention to do that nor does he. We want to do things the halal way and want the support of both our parents.

Believe me, there is a phase of being 'in love', where everything looks rosy and sweet
I have always loved him for Allahs sake.

let me say..you a strong girl...to face your parents about marriage..couldnt be me..im 17 now,n like i said before i couldnt eveeeer mention the m word to them..SubhanALLAH
I didnt go upto my mom and say "I want to get married mom", I gave her some obvious hints and asked her what she thought. I am close to my mom, I can tell her anything. thanks.

ou should also keep in mind that your culture very much defines you. You don't see it now, but when you grow older you'll notice that you're more like your parents than you can see at this time, and those little cultural habits that you're soo used to now, which you overlook, these will turn into significant issues later, a year or two into marriage when you're over the "in love" phase.
Subhanllah, you seem very negative akhi. I will always be an Afghan. Nothing is going to change that. I love my people and I will never forget where it is that I came from. But my heart has no bounds, and we intend to be in the "in love phase" forever enchallah.

Sanobar
10-07-2008, 01:48 PM
mashaAllah sister u seem very mature for your age... after all the advices and critisism .....,u answered well lol..:) all i wud say is if u think its the right age ... and u knw it deep down inside and if u're ready to go thru the rollercoster ride ;) with the intentions that u wont crib later... then inshaAllah sister may Allah swt make it easy for u and may he make things smooth and easy ...

Trust me Ask ur self what u wanna do... u ask ppl and everyone will have their own point of view..and u will get mixed resposes...and u might get more confused...

maryam87
10-07-2008, 02:06 PM
mm 16? im going to be skeptical bout this only cause ive seen it happen before n every girl i know who marries that young does end up regretting it not only because of the husbands but they end up having 3-4 kids by the early 20s and it becomes depressing for them. Alot of work and RESPONSIBILITIES. I dont honestly see the different culture an issue maybe cause lebanese parents are bit laid back on that so i suggest wait till ur a bit older before u make such a huge decision.

Ushae
10-07-2008, 03:22 PM
I have to agree with both yourself and your parents to a particular extent. They are correct to a particular extent, you may very be too immature as they themselves have reaised you since you were a child.

However I do realise the difficult and taxing situation you are in at the moment. Todays value's are radically different o the ones that existed 10 years ago. Arranged marraiges aren't so...'arranged' anymore, or at least teh trend is dying down. I think the most important thing is to stay away from things that Allah would otherwise frown upon such as disrespect, dishonour etc.

Don't disrespect your parents at any costs. If you are going to show them that you can go through with a marriage with this young man, then you have to show them your maturity, commitment and empathy. I personally think, after your parents get past the whole 'solami' thing they will realise this young man isn't working and earning a heathy income...yet.

I really admire the fact that you are fighting for someone you love and believe in, so I think the best option is to work with him to show that you are fantastic couple. In my honest opinion you will not be able to marry him until he at least graduates from his studies and begins to earn a healthy living.

A parents prime concern isn't about the caste of the potential husband. It's actually how well respected and how well he earns a living. If your parens see this, they can be swayed to favor him. Remember to work with this young man to earn their respect and favour, do it in the most respectful and humble manner possible. Patience is a virtue, even if it takes years.

Also remember if things go awry, you will inevitably be left deeply hurt in the end. Just remember that Allah will always do what is best for you if ou ask for it.

Allah Hafis sister, I truly hope you succeed in this endaevor :)

P.S. Pray an Isthikara on this !

Ushae
10-07-2008, 03:27 PM
P.S. If I remember correctly the prophet 'encouraged' inter-tribal marriages. So anyone stating otherwise is fabricating old-school values.

Islam > Culture .. remember that people. We belong to Islam first and a specific nation/culture second.

:)

TrueStranger
10-07-2008, 03:42 PM

Sis don’t stress about marriage. Allah has already decreed who you will marry, when and where. If it is meant to be it is meant to be, if not then it is not.

Don’t burden yourself while Allah has not burdened you.

Emotions can blind a person and corrupt their logic. Don’t make major decisions while you are swimming in the river of “love”.

Right now you are inhaling the delicate scent of love. Everything smells good and feels good. Soon the stench of reality will engulf your nostrils, and the delicate scent of love will vanish into thin air, leaving you to burden the nauseating odor of reality that was momentarily concealed by the delicate scent of love.

You will only be able to enjoy the delicacy of love when things are in harmony and under your control, and there is nothing harmonious about the marriage of two teenagers.

Patience, Patience, Patience, Sis, Patience

Ibn Abi Ahmed
10-07-2008, 04:20 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender

If we all worried about that no one would have ever married into another Race different to ours. We are Muslims we'll find a way enchaallah. Our parents both speak fluent english by the way.
I meant these are things to consider for the long run; things that need to be thought of now before they come up later.

enchaAllah we will make sure that we keep our fire burning. Love is not temporary, if its true it will last forever. I see how my auntie & uncle are towards each other, they look so in love and happy even after 17 years of marriage.
I'm sorry if I seem even more negative, but just by this statement it seems to me that all you've been exposed to of marriage are the ones that are all romantic and sweet, and this has caused you to form an ideal in your mind that if I and my beloved love each other truly, it'll last for ever. The reality is different. Love enables marriage, it doesn't guarantee it'll last. What guarantees marriage are other qualities that are within the person, not a feeling one has towards another. Many are the people that have gotten married due to feelings of 'true love' and have divorced a short time later, and some after many years too. And they still truly loved each other, but they divorced.

I don't mean to scare you or be condescending. Your responses here show that you are intelligent and mature Masha'Allaah. At the same time, I feel that you are overlooking some things that are serious and need not be overlooked. When I received similar advise when I was your age, my reaction was exactly the same as yours, yet now I realize how sensible the advise I received was and I want it to benefit you bi'idhnillah as it did to me.

I have no intention to do that nor does he. We want to do things the halal way and want the support of both our parents.
Good Alhamdullilah, I only intended to remind you of it. :)

Subhanllah, you seem very negative akhi. I will always be an Afghan. Nothing is going to change that. I love my people and I will never forget where it is that I came from. But my heart has no bounds, and we intend to be in the "in love phase" forever enchallah.
I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean that you should change who you are or that you will change later on. I meant that a lot of people like to be idealistic and say: "We're Muslims, and that's enough to make our marriage run". Sure, I agree that being a Muslim crosses all bounds of race and culture. With the same token, you need to realize that you're culture has played a somewhat big role in who you are, how you think, and what you are; subconsciously at times, a person will see through the lens that his culture has defined for him. There are traits that every person has that is a result of the culture that he comes from, and sometimes these traits are so ingrained into us that they can easily become the reason for problems in marriage 2 years down the line.

So my point is not don't get married to this brother. No, I love and am a big 'fan' if you will, of intercultural marriages, but at the same time I have seen many fail due to same reasons I've highlighted above. The couples were also in 'love' and were planning to be so forever. So from what I've seen, I don't want your marriage to end like that. I thought it would be a good idea if you're aware of these things from now, before signing the nikah contract.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
10-07-2008, 04:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nocturnal
Trying to conflate Islamic values and rationale as per today's standards just simply cannot be done.

Can you clarify what you mean here?

The only middle ground here is retain ties, focus on what you want to do, whether it's work, study, soul searching etc. Do it, within the parameters of Islam of course, and remember that this is 2008, and statistics don't lie. Divorce rates are soaring higher than the Burj el Arab, don't get caught up in the romanticism of falling in love with someone from another backkground, albeit Islamic, when you know that invariably your folks are going to flip the switch and you'll witness a parental volcanic explosion like never before. Take it from me.
I agree with your premise. And you're right about divorce rates, and that is exactly what I meant to highlight to the sister - to not get caught up in idealism as opposed to reality.

Regarding the part on parents, I disagree to an extent; it depends really on the family. She knows her family best, so it makes no sense for me to tell her not to talk to her parents or to talk to them, to try and change their mind or not. She can decide that herself. Seeing as how she stated her parents have reacted, I felt she needed some tips and pointers maybe on how to approach them. At the same time, I'm in complete agreement that it's unwise to get too emotionally attached to a person before knowing whether it'll work out or not.

ayan333
10-07-2008, 07:04 PM

you sound mature enough n like you know that you want

i was only trying to help..sorrry if it didnt help

May ALLAH (SWA) make everything easy for you

hope yall live happily ever after InshALLAH

Intisar
10-08-2008, 05:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ayan333

i understand sis...but im so lost when it comes to tribes..my Mother always tol dus that when some one asks us what tribe we're form jus simply say we ara Muslim and leave it at that...

ive never been asked and InshALLAH itll stay that way

i belive you that its hard to please Somali families although ive never seen it..or i have im jus to blind to notice

InshALLAH yall will all meet the man of your dreams.a righteous one ofcourse,and you'll all have righteous children who fear ALLAH (SWA)

:w: I don't think she should shield you from it, you should know your tribe and be aware of it but that doesn't mean you should divulge your tribe to any person that asks you.

At the end of the day, tribe is not the problem, but how people use it to hurt and demean others is.

I appreciate all the responses. although I must admit that most of you are plain negative. The Muslim I intend to marry comes from a wonderful Family, hamdulilah. He has sisters whom I'm closesly friends with, I know a lot about his character not only through knowing him personally but also through the people that live with him. My brother and him are the same age (both 18) they get along fine and have always been like brothers.

I am not going to marry his family. I know that they will be part of my life, and I am looking forward to it. The family is very practising & openminded. They're not into tribes etc they are actually mixed with Yemeni. Although I know that most somalis are obsessed with tribes but this is hamdulilah not the case for this family. I have known them almost my entire life. It's just our parents that don't know each other so well, and in time they will enchallah.

Not for all somalis sis (Not his Family). The Family is married into several different tribes & even other races.

I think you are generalizing. I could say the exact same thing about Afgani Families. And so could a Pakistani, indian etc. What differenciates people is their level in deen, personality, their outlook in life etc. Not everyone is the same, thank god for that.

I am fully aware of that fact and totally agree with you. I am not running away from a life filled with sorrow and want some man to save me from it. I know exactly what I am doing, I come from a very happy household and my relationship with my parents is close & very healthy. I can go to them and tell them anything. They have raised us to be that openminded and to never fear them but Allah.

I have always loved him for Allahs sake.

I didnt go upto my mom and say "I want to get married mom", I gave her some obvious hints and asked her what she thought. I am close to my mom, I can tell her anything. thanks.

:w: I'm sorry sis but even Somali people that come from different variations of tribes can still be very tribalist, it doesn't matter. And I don't think I'm generalising when I say that Somali families are very hard to please, as I stated before I was in the same situation and I am a Somali sister whereas you are a Afghan sister. Surely the situations are different, but your situation would be much more harder on you since you're from different cultural backgrounds and therefore it will be harder to communicate between families.

Trust me when I say this, Somalis are in general a very warm, loving and gentle people but like Arabs we're very isolated and like to keep to ourselves. InshaaAllaah if you're really serious about it have lots of meetings with his parents, extended family, and close family members so as to get a bit of a better understanding of them.

I think you're just being a bit far-fetched by saying that you want to marry him at the age of 16, just look at the options inshaaAllaah and if your intentions are pure and you want to marry him so as to have a halal relationship for the sake of Allaah SWT then inshaaAllaah go for it. Make du'a and pray istikhara as well.

May Allaah make matters easy on you inshaaAllaah. :)

Hamas
10-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

You are only 16 and you're already interested in marriage, these parents who raised us when we couldnt raise ourselves, who fed us, provided for us and when we reach the slightest level of maturiy we have the audacity to go against them? yeah i admit they still live in the stone age and dont seem to understand where your comming from BUT they can be made to understand if you are right and know what your talking about.

Islam does encourage to marry early as the Prophet (p.b.u.h) says marrying early will protect your deen, the Prophet (p.b.u.h) also says if you have the financial means to get married then you should do so. That dont mean meet a guy or girl and run to your parents and say i want to get married. To boys and girls your age and who want to get married id say to you if you think you ready for marriage then go get a job and earn money so you could get married instead of waiting for your parents to "come around" and this would also show your parents that you are mature and they will hear you out and take you seriously.

Salam

AnonymousPoster
10-08-2008, 06:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameena*
:w: I don't think she should shield you from it, you should know your tribe and be aware of it but that doesn't mean you should divulge your tribe to any person that asks you.

At the end of the day, tribe is not the problem, but how people use it to hurt and demean others is.

:w: I'm sorry sis but even Somali people that come from different variations of tribes can still be very tribalist, it doesn't matter. And I don't think I'm generalising when I say that Somali families are very hard to please, as I stated before I was in the same situation and I am a Somali sister whereas you are a Afghan sister. Surely the situations are different, but your situation would be much more harder on you since you're from different cultural backgrounds and therefore it will be harder to communicate between families.

Trust me when I say this, Somalis are in general a very warm, loving and gentle people but like Arabs we're very isolated and like to keep to ourselves. InshaaAllaah if you're really serious about it have lots of meetings with his parents, extended family, and close family members so as to get a bit of a better understanding of them.

I think you're just being a bit far-fetched by saying that you want to marry him at the age of 16, just look at the options inshaaAllaah and if your intentions are pure and you want to marry him so as to have a halal relationship for the sake of Allaah SWT then inshaaAllaah go for it. Make du'a and pray istikhara as well.

May Allaah make matters easy on you inshaaAllaah. :)
I am a Somali sister whereas you are a Afghan sister.
Salam sis

My family is nothing like what you described *ALhamdulilah, pheew*. They are not tribalists and don't let that define who they are at all. I understand that maybe the somalis in your family and the family you were marrying into are like that. All somalis are not like that. My brother is married to an Irish Muslimah. My family have no problem communicating with her. As a matter of fact she considers my parents her parents. My parents also call her their daughter mashaAllah. You are sweeping a blatant generalization and you justify it by saying "I am somali"? Still sis that gives you no right to say that. You may speak however way you wish about the people you know, but you are no spokes-person for all the Somalians. Inlc Moi:sunny:. Jazakz.

amiin 2 ur dua!

Cherrios!!

To the thread starter, u already know how I feel lol *hug*...:sunny:
InshaAllah u are in my duas.

Intisar
10-10-2008, 01:09 AM
:sl: You've got me all wrong sis, I never said I was the spokesperson for all Somali people, but yes qabiliyyah is a very big issue in the Somali community. My family is not like that at all and I really don't appreciate you trying to say that. I came across a situation where someone made a very rude comment to me based on my qabil. Your family may not be like that, but surely you will come across many Somali families who are qabilists, sad to say.

Interracial marriage is very hard, but mashaaAllaah to your brother for having such a great union with that Irish Muslimah, but like you said you cannot base one incident on how all people are. There are many families who have a big problem with marrying out of their qabiil let alone their race, so pretending like it doesn't exist is more than ridiculous imo.

I think the sister who posted this thread wants to get married based on the fact that she believes that she ''loves'' the Somali brother, a love imo which sounds like the ones in movies. Ie. ever-lasting, forever, happily ever after etc. At the end of the day she needs to understand that what makes a marriage work is not just love, but companionship, care, and a lot of give and take etc.

It's very hard, especially in this day and age to be married to someone really young without a career. Lakiin mashaaAllaah to her for thinking ahead, perhaps 16 is too young, no? She hasn't even finished secondary education! Though there are many people who have married young and are still married, granted they will tell you that it is very tough and many a time you just want to be a kid and not have as many responsibilities (especially for younger brothers; since men are the maintainers of women).

May Allaah give you sabr inshaaAllaah and the wisdom to know whichever decision is best for you. :)

youngsister
10-10-2008, 09:01 AM

Sister Ameena is totally right.

Somalis families are hard to please, some are Ok i am not saying all of them are but mostly are.

I think the sister who posted this thread wants to get married based on the fact that she believes that she ''loves'' the Somali brother, a love imo which sounds like the ones in movies. Ie. ever-lasting, forever, happily ever after etc. At the end of the day she needs to understand that what makes a marriage work is not just love, but companionship, care, and a lot of give and take etc.

It's very hard, especially in this day and age to be married to someone really young without a career.
:thumbs_up:thumbs_up Everything I was going to say..

To Anon are you planning to move in with him or live with your family?
Many young people who cannot afford moving in together, get married but live with their families.
Do you think your mother will be ok with this? So you can finish your education until he is fully able to provide..

Anyways age is just a number but please make sure your family is ok and happy for you to marry, or comprimise with them maybe get marry when you turn 17, 18 perhaps?

May Allaah give you sabr inshaaAllaah and the wisdom to know whichever decision is best for you.
Ameen:)

AnonymousPoster
10-10-2008, 06:00 PM
The point I was trying to make is that the sister clearly described to us that the Family she's marrying into is a wonderful Family. I would understand in the case (for eg: if she didnt know the family) etc to tell her to be cautious. She didnt ask you all to give her an account of how hard somalis are to please etc. That has nothing to do with her marrying this brother. She already knows this family quite well and from what we have read it's a beautiful Family. Whom I personally know btw. She was seeking Islamic advice.

No youngsister, I am not planning to move in with them:rolleyes:. I just dont want this thread to turn into a place where somalis share their woes about how difficult Somalis are etc. If thats what you want to do feel free to start another thread.:sunny: Cause thats not the point of this thread InshaAllah.

Many have given the sister valuable advice. She's young but shes very mature. I''m sure she'll come back to personally answer u all again, but the sis never said that she's marrying him tomorrow. She plans to keep studying! It would be nice if the accusations stopped.

Many young people who cannot afford moving in together, get married but live with their families.
Do you think your mother will be ok with this? So you can finish your education until he is fully able to provide.
? She's not planning to stop studying. Maybe u shud read her posts again!

You are Judging her & even twisting her words. She never said that she's marrying him solely on an emotion! Yes she did say that she loves him, did you also read the rest? "I love him for Allahs sake"? You are desperately trying to belittle the sister, she's very offended so you know hence why she didnt reply. That might not be your intention but thats how you come across. Real love does exist, dont mock it. Marriage does come with alot of responsibility, thats the same for everyone whether your 16 or 20 or 30.

Jazks.

youngsister
10-11-2008, 09:01 PM

No youngsister, I am not planning to move in with them. I just dont want this thread to turn into a place where somalis share their woes about how difficult Somalis are etc. If thats what you want to do feel free to start another thread. Cause thats not the point of this thread InshaAllah.
Why would I? I just simply agreed with another sister comment:hmm:

Many have given the sister valuable advice. She's young but shes very mature. I''m sure she'll come back to personally answer u all again, but the sis never said that she's marrying him tomorrow. She plans to keep studying! It would be nice if the accusations stopped.
What happened to making excuses for your fellow muslims?
The sister didnt make it clear at the beginning, I like the other are just looking out for her, thats why i adviced her to keep studying if she is planning to do so then masha allah good for her.

She's not planning to stop studying. Maybe u shud read her posts again!
Sister if your read my post again I was being very polite, this topic got many replies and everyone is trying to help her so isha allah, there is no need for attitude.
What happened to adhab?

AnonymousPoster
10-11-2008, 09:25 PM
The point I was trying to make is that the sister clearly described to us that the Family she's marrying into is a wonderful Family. I would understand in the case (for eg: if she didnt know the family) etc to tell her to be cautious. She didnt ask you all to give her an account of how hard somalis are to please etc. That has nothing to do with her marrying this brother. She already knows this family quite well and from what we have read it's a beautiful Family. Whom I personally know btw. She was seeking Islamic advice.

No youngsister, I am not planning to move in with them:rolleyes:. I just dont want this thread to turn into a place where somalis share their woes about how difficult Somalis are etc. If thats what you want to do feel free to start another thread.:sunny: Cause thats not the point of this thread InshaAllah.

? She's not planning to stop studying. Maybe u shud read her posts again!

You are Judging her & even twisting her words. She never said that she's marrying him solely on an emotion! Yes she did say that she loves him, did you also read the rest? "I love him for Allahs sake"? You are desperately trying to belittle the sister, she's very offended so you know hence why she didnt reply. That might not be your intention but thats how you come across. Real love does exist, dont mock it. Marriage does come with alot of responsibility, thats the same for everyone whether your 16 or 20 or 30.

Jazks.
Omd!

I think yu honestly read her post incorrectly, please ppl!

=)

The Khan
10-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Asalamu Alaikum;

Sister, I am a Pathan from India. My family is of the Lodi clan. We conquered Northern India over 500 years ago. Since then, we have adopted most of our Pashtun customs apart from basic Pashtunwali. Although I am Pathan, I am multi-ethnic. For example, My father is mixed Pashtun/Muhajir/Russian. My mother is mixed Persian/Muhajir/Arab/Dravidian. It is time that Pashtuns let go of the hypergamy that we've followed since pre-Islamic times when we were Kafirs. The Qur'an absolutely forbids any form of nationalism or forced conversion.

Personally, this is my two cents: Get a nominal nikah done, a nominal one, so that you need not fear Allah for being close to him. Don't engage in any sexual relationship. Don't officially register your Nikah, make it a secret one between Allah (swt), him, and you. As time passes by, convince your parents slowly by showing the verses in the Qur'an and various Hadeeth regarding marriage, nationalism, and forced marriage. Then, get an official marriage done. You can renew your Nikah vows, your previous vow is not considered broke or a Talaq. There's a fatwa regarding this at Islamonline.net : http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1220346188617

Of course, I'd rather advise that you marry after you're 20. In this day and age, there are a lot of factors which make an early marriage unadvisable, such as the need for education. Complete your education. Let him get a decent job. Then, get a proper marriage. I personally too wish I could get married to a good sister at this age. I am a teenager with raging hormones that are difficult to suppress. However, good things come to those who wait, this is what I've learnt. I have decided that I will not consider marriage or engage in any relationship until I have completed my education and have a decent job or business. However, if the situation arises (ie, I fall in love with a good sister), then I shall get a nominal nikah done (I will reveal it to my parents...they are very open minded) but not engage in a sexual relationship until I have settled down with a good job or business.

If you wish to be in his arms, and have a non-sexual relationship, then the secret Nikah is an option, although not advisable unless you can't bear it anymore. Love is a natural gift from Allah (SWT). If you plan to go higher than that...it will interfere with your life and bring it to an abrupt end. Unadvisable.

Hope my advice was of some help.

seeker-of-light
10-11-2008, 09:47 PM
i understand your pain i am 15 and i have promised myself to a man. my family doesnt know though, and the future is still uncertain if we will even be able to get together. but i am praying that by god's will we will be together someday.

BlissfullyJaded
10-11-2008, 09:52 PM

A nikaah requires a wali and two witnesses, and without that it is invalid.. And nowhere in that fatwa does it say that the couple married secretly without a wali and two witnesses. What you're talking about is a celibate marriage I think, which is the same as a regular marriage, just that it is stipulated that the girl will remain with her parents until the husband can take on the financial responsibility and only after that they can consumate the marriage.

Btw, to anony, we weren't being negative. We only gave advice based on what we knew from your post and based on what we know from our own experiences..

anonymous
06-27-2009, 11:43 AM
All these months passed still i'm in the same situation. Nothings changed, I wish my parents views did.

Personally, this is my two cents: Get a nominal nikah done, a nominal one, so that you need not fear Allah for being close to him. Don't engage in any sexual relationship. Don't officially register your Nikah, make it a secret one between Allah (swt), him, and you. As time passes by, convince your parents slowly by showing the verses in the Qur'an and various Hadeeth regarding marriage, nationalism, and forced marriage.
I wish I could do that, but imagening the look on my parents face wehn they do find out is something I dont think I can bear.

Ummu Sufyaan
06-28-2009, 08:31 AM
wa alaykum us-Salaam

ok so your 16...pls tell me what/how YOU are capable of upholding a marriage. really that's a serious qn. :) im not discouraging you from getting married early, but it is absolutely essential that you look at things realistically, becuase all those important things in a marriage that you will choose to sweep under the carpet and ignore, believe you me, they will only come up later and cause you more heart/head ache.
She began to freak out, and started reminding me that I have just turned 16.
thats cos she knows you/knows how a 16 yr old mind works :)

Just because I am 16 doesn't mean that I am blind/deaf and my brain is dead.
no, but (as a 16 yr old) you have alot of maturing to do, especially in regards to marriage :)

Another shocker is the fact that the guy I want to marry is not an afghani, which shatters my parents universe.
yh that's always the ultimate stinker innit lol...i personally dont see an issue with interracial marriages, but sometimes you need to marry within your own culture, simply because you will understand one another ALOT better which down the track save you alot of potential headache.

I know that he's only 18 and not wealthy, but thats ok with me.
no it isn't! :)sis, he has to PROVIDE for you. paying for one person can be hard...imagine paying for 2! sis, we don't live in huts anymore, we have to rent/buy our houses amd not to mention that living standards are on the increase. and what if your blessed with kids? dont go around thinking "oh, its ok ill give up my make up its really not that important." it IS important. all these little things we have in life and we are used to, are important (to us) and will eventually drive us crazy if we don't receive them, especially when we have other means to attain them.

He's a good student so he will make money from his profession when he graduates enshaALlah.
inshallah. how long will that be?

I appreciate all the responses. although I must admit that most of you are plain negative.
you just say that cos we're saying stuff you don't wanna hear :)

I am not going to marry his family.
believe you me, you marry the whole family. no matter what, its 99.99% of the case :p

But my heart has no bounds, and we intend to be in the "in love phase" forever enchallah.
after marriage, the only real time that occurs is when your newly wed. i admit, i sound negative, but after that phase (not to say that you will stop loving one another), its reality all the way!

Muhaba
06-28-2009, 02:57 PM
you should get engaged and then get married after your 18 (with your family's permission of course), preferably after he has graduated from college & started working. Getting engaged might be acceptable to your parents. getting married while studying in college may be a burden on him. in the meantime, you also can continue studying & your family can get to know him more. So if, in the future (Allah forbid) it turns out that he wasn't right for you, you can break the engagement & if it turns out that you two are right for eachother then you can get married.

May everything work out for you.

nebula
06-28-2009, 04:21 PM
May Allah make it easy for you sister who made this thread and give you whats best for you ameen!

If things do not work out and your wali does not except then remember Allah is the best of planners we can plan our lifes all we want but no plan is better then Allah's plan!

:thumbs_up:bump1:

anonymous
07-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Umm ul-Shaheed read through the thread cause i have pretty much answered those questions before.

I have waited almost one year so far but nothing changed, I might as well wait until i'm all grey and sixty.

Al-Zaara
07-16-2009, 08:42 AM
Do you discuss this issue with your parents frequently? If so, are the arguments and ways to tell you off the same as in the beginning?

InshaAllah, have patience. A year is nothing compared to what some people have had to wait. My parents always say "patience will be rewarded" and inshaAllah this will happen to you sister.

- IqRa -
07-16-2009, 08:49 AM
You're a child. Have sabr.

Layla454
07-16-2009, 09:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
Umm ul-Shaheed read through the thread cause i have pretty much answered those questions before.

I have waited almost one year so far but nothing changed, I might as well wait until i'm all grey and sixty.
Just relax sis, like the others have said you are still young. If you really want to marry each other, then you will wait for each other insha Allah. Try and get the Imam involved or an alim.

- IqRa -
07-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Aalims and Imams do not have any affect on asian families at all. In fact, if the sister is asian, then she will make things worse for herself if outsiders get involved in a family matter. Your parents always know what is best for you.

If you have a high sexual drive, and that is the reason why you want to marry, then I suggest you start fasting as much as you can. And keep your gaze lowered, for I find that when the gaze is lowered the human is fine, when the gaze raises upwards, the shaytaan ignites a spark of desire within the human, and they turn into a beast and want to fulfil their desire.

Have sabr and trust in Allah. If your wedding is not happening and its been a year, there is a bigger plan behind it. Just relax.

Layla454
07-16-2009, 09:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by T.I.A
Aalims and Imams do not have any affect on asian families at all. In fact, if the sister is asian, then she will make things worse for herself if outsiders get involved in a family matter. Your parents always know what is best for you.

If you have a high sexual drive, and that is the reason why you want to marry, then I suggest you start fasting as much as you can. And keep your gaze lowered, for I find that when the gaze is lowered the human is fine, when the gaze raises upwards, the shaytaan ignites a spark of desire within the human, and they turn into a beast and want to fulfil their desire.

Have sabr and trust in Allah. If your wedding is not happening and its been a year, there is a bigger plan behind it. Just relax.
The sister said she is Afghan.

- IqRa -
07-16-2009, 09:21 AM
It still won't have any affect on the parents. I highly doubt it.

Layla454
07-16-2009, 09:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by T.I.A
It still won't have any affect on the parents. I highly doubt it.
You never know until you try.

AlexJ90
07-17-2009, 07:08 PM
dear brother your still young, wait untill you are atleast over 18, for example 19 or 20, then you have full judgement and inshallah can have total control over your life.

Beardo
07-17-2009, 07:19 PM
For a guy, I'd say 25 is a good age.

nebula
07-17-2009, 07:36 PM
^ subhannallah, 25 :X :enough!: :laugh:

May Allah give us strength to lower our gazes and control our evil nafs!!! ameen! thumma ameen:thumbs_up

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.