/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is Honesty, really the best Policy?

Ansariyah
10-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Does honesty also mean being able to say what ur thinking, exactly wat ur thinking?

Do u value people who tell it like it is? I do.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
qassy!
10-06-2008, 09:46 PM
in the real world you cant tell the "truth" no matter what

ayan333
10-06-2008, 09:47 PM
:sl:

^ not exactly..sometimes you should ju skeep your mouth shut..somethings are better kept inside then let out

its beeter not to always speak your mind

:w:

Güven
10-06-2008, 09:50 PM
awww who voted "your poll sucks"?? :D

sometimes its better to keep your big mouth shut :X

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ansariyah
10-06-2008, 09:51 PM
lol can a mod plss add "what" to the first option towards the end.:$

ayan333
10-06-2008, 09:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah
lol can a mod plss add "what" to the first option towards the end.:$

ocd?

Ansariyah
10-06-2008, 09:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ayan333

ocd?

sis wat du mean?

IbnAbdulHakim
10-06-2008, 09:55 PM
ibrahim alaihissalaam said three white lies

about his health when his people went to worship idols so he could stay away from idol worship
about his wife so that the tyrant king wouldnt slay him and take away his wife
some say his speech in regards to the sun/moon etc, to give dawah

the prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam encourages saying sweet words to the wife even if its not entirely true.
he also encourages saying something to unite two brothers even if its not true.

Wallahu A'lam ask a scholar, but thats what i base my opinion on

Mikayeel
10-06-2008, 09:56 PM

Lying in some cases is permisable in islam.

Like for example, when ur wife asks you. How do i look now, and she might not look very nice. YOu can say to her that she does to make her feel better.

Also when two people are not talking to eachother, u can tell one of them that the other one said sorry nd he wants to talk to u agian, nd u tell the other one the same. They then come together thinking they both apologized nd start being friends agian :D always works!

ayan333
10-06-2008, 10:06 PM

sis wat du mean?

sorry sis,i think its jus me

i ment do u have OCD,,it was a joke though

youn wanted to put "what" at the end of the firts choice..i thought i was bothering you because you wanted it there..i get that way sometimes but then again im weird

sorry to bother u sis

Ansariyah
10-06-2008, 10:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ayan333

sorry sis,i think its jus me

i ment do u have OCD,,it was a joke though

youn wanted to put "what" at the end of the firts choice..i thought i was bothering you because you wanted it there..i get that way sometimes but then again im weird

sorry to bother u sis

lol u call that botherin me? you have to try harder then that:p: lol

I get ur joke now..I am a bit slow 2day. Dont sorry me u did nuffin wrong sis!
and ur not weird.:sunny:..I am!

ayan333
10-06-2008, 10:12 PM
lol u call that botherin me? you have to try harder then that:p: lol

I get ur joke now..I am a bit slow 2day. Dont sorry me u did nuffin wrong sis!
and ur not weird.:sunny:..I am!

o ok sis

ur not slow..we're all slow some days

Ansariyah
10-06-2008, 10:19 PM
^ kay sis :sunny:

I voted for "best to keep ur mouth shut sometimes". Because sometimes it seems to me as though being honest can get u into awholata troubles then get u out of any. I don't know why. But thats just the way life is.

I try to be as honest as I can be, but the world/people dont let me at times.

Wont Allah punish us for being silent when we can change a situation? I try to be patient, but sometimes I cant hold it in it jst comes out.

FatimaAsSideqah
10-06-2008, 10:29 PM
According to Shari'ah, lying is not permitted except in specific cases which do not lead to loss of rights, bloodshed or slander of people’s honor, etc, but which concern saving lives, reconciling between people, or creating love between husband and wife.

transition?
10-06-2008, 10:30 PM

I think honesty is the best policy, but you should also keep your mouth shut. There's good timing for everything. No reason to be obnoxious or start screaming the truth, creating chaos. sometimes telling the truth at the wrong time backfires and creates confusion.

Woodrow
10-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Is Honesty, really the best Policy?

Almost but not quite. Some things are a better policy, for example:

1. Obeying Allaah(swt)

2. Pleasing Allaah (swt)

Some of the posters have posted reasons and occasions where it would be permissable not to tell the truth and in those rare times it does seem full, unqualified honesty would violate what I just listed as 1 and 2.

Just my opinion, astragfirullah

FatimaAsSideqah
10-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymeeyah said:

“Allah has enjoined truthfulness and honesty, and He has forbidden lies and concealment with regard to matters which should be known and revealed to people, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said in a hadeeth whose authenticity is agreed upon: ‘The two parties involved in a transaction have the option [of canceling it] until they part. If they are honest and truthful, their transaction will be blessed for them and if they conceal something and tell lies, the blessing of their transaction will be wiped out.’

And Allah Taala says,

‘O you who believe! Stand out firmly for Allah as just witnesses; and let not the enmity and hatred of others make you avoid justice. Be just: that is nearer to piety’ [al-Ma'idah 5:8]

Rabiya_M
10-06-2008, 10:56 PM
If its a matter of halal and haraam then saying the haqq is the best and only option, even if it is disrespectful towards parents/elders or hurting their feelings.

There is no obedience to any creature in disobedience to the Creator.

I'm not saying you should shout at them and make your point...instead you should give them naseeha in the best manner.
Wallahu ta'alaa alaam.

afzalaung
10-06-2008, 10:56 PM
I do believe in white lie, and believe its necessary at times.
Sometimes, the other person just 'misunderstood' what you said. *wink*wink*

crayon
10-07-2008, 08:46 AM
Is "omission" of a vital fact considered lying?...
Such as:
"mom, i'm going to the museum"
"mom, i'm going to the museum then getting coffee with someone i don't think you would approve of"

aamirsaab
10-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Honesty is not always the best policy; if someone asks you if they look fat, you say no. Especially if they are actually fat.

------
10-07-2008, 11:45 AM
:salamext:

I voted for first option.

Re.TiReD
10-07-2008, 12:19 PM
:salamext:

Honesty is the best policy if somebody asks you for it...if you feel they need it, if you think its going to make a difference. If you feel that you telling the truth will benefit them more than hurt them.

But thats just my flawed opinion based on what I'm feeling atm.

Woodrow
10-07-2008, 02:15 PM
As can be seen this is not a very clear question with precise answers. Yet, that does not mean it is not clear and subject to very clear rules.

First we must define what is meant by dishonesty. That can be seen as being many faceted.

1. to decieve a person

2. to deprive a person of possesions, through fraudelant means

3. to mislead another person

4. to lie

I think most of us would agree that the first 3 are basicaly wrong under all conditions.

The difficult area is number 4 "to lie". Just what does constitute a lie and under what conditions is a lie permissible.

Is the use of an analogy or metaphor a lie? A physics teacher will often use the visible concepts of water motion to explain electric circuits, in which water is used as a visible analogy for electricity. Water is not electricity, to say water is electricity or is synonymous with electricity is false. is that a permissable lie? Is it even a lie although it is false?

So it is with many things. Perhaps it is because of our limitations there are specific conditions under which it is not a sin to avoid the full truth

maryam87
10-07-2008, 02:19 PM
The truth can cause sometimes too much problems, so keeping ur mouth shut is the best option in most cases

Najm
10-07-2008, 02:26 PM
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

Honesty is the best policy. Allah knows best what conceals our hearts.
Speak good or remain silent. Speak up to clear up falsehood.:rollseyes
I voted option 1:statisfie

FiAmaaniAllah

truemuslim
10-07-2008, 03:43 PM
MTO:

Example 1: u nd ur frend talkin..u accidently say something u aint supposed to, they say wat? nd u tell them wat it is u said :Evil: in "other" words.

I dunno if thats acceptable tho

example 2: do u think im faithless?
No, silly, faithless? hah u the best muslim ....................
dunno if that acceptable either.

k so basically, ima put it in words
jus two or three, split to thirds
When it comes to lyin
we all b cryin
back to our lord nd he sees us dyin
we all agree, nobody denyin
but then come the lies,
nd the tuffer tries
bfor u speak must revise
after all, theres always a prize
full of tears is lyin eyes
it depend on wat is the size
of wat u sayin, nd all ur lies
well hey i just advise
so take it or leave, but sensationalize (watever that means. i dunno, but it rhymes :p )

jus remember allahu alim :D
nd also remember believe nutin i say :D

Woodrow
10-07-2008, 04:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Najm
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

Honesty is the best policy. Allah knows best what conceals our hearts.
Speak good or remain silent. Speak up to clear up falsehood.:rollseyes
I voted option 1:statisfie

FiAmaaniAllah
I agree, that is why I chose option 2

Danah
10-07-2008, 04:09 PM
I think sometimes....telling the truth or what exactly you think about is just make things worse....but lie to the people is even the worst
we can not say what we exactly think about...but we can give hints, or refer on it by indirect ways, so will not lie on the other

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.