/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The RAND Corporation: Out to Change Islam

rpwelton
10-08-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm not sure if this has been posted before; I tried a search and didn't yield any unique results.

While I was combing the web for Islam websites (and a few anti-Islam ones), I stumbled across something very interesting and disturbing. In short, the RAND corporation is essentially a non-profit think tank that supports research for a number of policy issues both in the US and abroad. Of course, given the current war on terror, it comes as no surprise that they would have something to say about terrorists, and about Islam.

The 88 page document in question is titled "Civil Democratic Islam". What it attempts to do is show how Islam can essentially be changed to fit into a Western democratic value system. I'm not going to put a detailed summary up here, I just want to give a bit of background and then hopefully you will read the document and decide for yourself.

The West sees Islam as a growing force - and indeed it is, being the fastest growing religion in the world. While the West does not hate Muslims as a whole, what it does deplore is the idea of total Islamic rule: the Khalifa. The main agenda outlined in this treatise is to give those Muslims who demand change in the religion a voice, and to pit the fundamentalist Muslims against the more traditionalist ones. In the end, their idea is to establish Islam as a "caged religion", operating within the bounds of a universal democratic society.

Here is the link to the document. If this gets removed (and I can understand how it would), then visit their website rand.org and in the search box in the upper right corner, search for "Civil Democratic Islam".

http://www.rand.org/pubs/monograph_r...716/MR1716.pdf

The reason I am posting this is because I want to make Muslims aware that there is an effort to change this religion and "reinterpret the past", and this is not the only evidence by far (although from what I can find it is the most extensive). To be blunt, I do not support this one bit, although each of us is entitled to his or her opinion. Many muslims (including myself up until recently) feel that the West is not really an enemy of Islam. The truth is that they are not enemies of most Muslims, but they are enemies of Islam.

The difference lies in the fact that Islam is unique in its structure; it combines both the state and religion in a singlular form, which no other religion does to such a wide extent. The West is fearful of this; they feel that this is a backwards religion rooted in 7th century practices that cannot possibly apply to the modern world - thus, it must be changed. What they do not realize is that as a Muslim you must take Islam as a whole or leave it as a whole; there is no middle ground.

"O believers enter into the fold of Islam completely and do not follow the footsteps of Satan, for he is indeed your open enemy" (2:208)

I do not condone acts of terror, whereby they involve killing innocent people. Some people say that there is no such thing as "innocent disbelievers", but I disagree. While I believe Islam is truly a religion of peace, there are times where force must be applied against oppressors. If we are to establish an Islamic state, there is a good possibility that we will have to use militant force (read: organized) to get it done.

While I don't particularly identify with one line of thought in all issues in regards to the way the article categorizes them, what I do believe is that Islam cannot be changed from its original form and we are obligated as Muslims to practice the true Islam of Muhammad (SAW). Yes, we must change those who are extremist and radical and show them the true path of Islam, but we cannot allow Islam to fall victim to so called democratization or Westernization.

It uses the idea that Western society has changed overtime by altering its interpretation of religious scriptures. This is in reference to how most Christians regard the laws laid out in the Old Testament as archaic and therefore no longer applicable. Therefore, they argue, the same can be applied to the Qur'an, since many of the same laws exist in both books.

What are your thoughts on this?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamayun
10-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Islam is a religion of Peace. We don't need to change it or sugar coat it to please others.

Quran is perfect and does not need to be changed.

Just my 2p :)

rpwelton
10-08-2008, 05:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun
Islam is a religion of Peace. We don't need to change it or sugar coat it to please others.

Quran is perfect and does not need to be changed.

Just my 2p :)
Of course I agree with you, but let me point out something else. What is at risk here is not people changing the Qur'an itself. That is impossible, as Allah SWT has promised to preserve it. But it is up to us Muslims to ensure proper interpretation of the Qur'an.

While I think that the RAND corporation could never change the way all the Muslims in the world think, it's possible that they could lull enough Muslims in the West into thinking the system does not need to be changed, thereby ceding victory to those that oppose Islamic rule. And this does not have to even be confined to the West; there are many Islamic countries around the world that basically operate as though the US controls them, and thus are susceptible to the same kind of mentality.

doorster
10-08-2008, 05:33 PM
I hope some one changes it back to the way it was. Every body is a scholar of Islam now which needs to be monitored and controlled and stopped

Americans know almost nothing about Islam beyond what they pick up from films and novels and news reports (much of it erroneous). Israelis probably know even less, though many have the bad habit of claiming (with some swagger) that they know Muslims because they live with them. The truth of the matter is that Israelis don’t live with Muslims, hardly see them beyond what they see on their own televisions, and tend to have an extremely distorted view of Islam. We few who know something about Islam are bombarded with questions and asked for interviews, but given the hurry and the nature of media discourse, the short answers often confuse more than clarify.

Simplistic clarifications by so-called "Muslim scholars" often confuse the situation even more, because virtually any Muslim can claim to be a scholar and speak on behalf of Islam. From my own experience, many of them seem not to know what they are talking about.

So how do we arrive at the truth about Islam? Is it a fundamentally violent and hateful religion, as its detractors have claimed? Or is it a religion of compassion and reason, as its Muslim adherents insist? To answer this question, we must first look inward. How have its champions and its enemies characterized Judaism? We have suffered the abuse of religious character assassination by those who not only have hated us, but also by those who have feared us. Anyone who can read is able to find excerpts in translation from the Bible and from our Talmud and midrash that would curdle the blood of any innocent reader who doesn’t know the context of the citations. Our great King David arranged the murder of an innocent man because he lusted over the poor man’s wife (2 Samuel 11). Rabbis incinerate their opponents (Shabbat 34a, Sanhedrin 100a). The Torah even calls for mass extermination, for genocide of the native Canaanite inhabitants of the land (Deuteronomy 7). It is just as easy to find violent material in the Quran and in the second most important source of Islamic religious teaching: the Hadith literature (parallel to Oral Law in Judaism). It almost need not be said that one can just as well find material urging compassion for the needy, the poor, the homeless, the orphan and widow.
http://www.islamicboard.com/miscella...-hijacked.html

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.