/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Prophet PBUH - would he save up money?

jimbo123
10-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Salam,

I'm confused about something. I went to a Khutbah last week where the imam said that the truly pious person lives as though each step he takes is like his last one. Of course the Prophet peace be upon him was the most pious out of all of us.

So... if he (PBUH) were alive in this day and age would he save up money? Let's bear in mind that today if someone were to buy a house, it would take years to pay off the mortage.

I also have another question. If you write in your will that you want to give away all your money to charity or to development of a mosque, would Allah accept this reward, assuming it's carried out after you die?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
10-10-2008, 03:04 PM
:salamext:

Mortgage is haraam.

If you write in your will that you want to give away all your money to charity or to development of a mosque, would Allah accept this reward, assuming it's carried out after you die?
Any sadqa that is given in your name is counted as reward in your good deeds.

Lonely Gal
10-10-2008, 03:10 PM
sorry for my ignorance how do u buy a house without a mortgage?

------
10-10-2008, 03:13 PM

Pay up front I guess? But there are halal mortgages available with islamic companies, that do not use Interest (Riba).

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hamayun
10-10-2008, 03:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lonely Gal
sorry for my ignorance how do u buy a house without a mortgage?
I would like to know too. I have a mortgage and if I was to give it up me and my family will be homeless.

Lonely Gal
10-10-2008, 03:25 PM
so mortgages are haraam, dependin wich u choose

------
10-10-2008, 03:32 PM

I am not an expert or a scholar.

Read:

Firstly: if the loan is to be repaid with something extra (interest), then it is a riba-based loan which is haraam.

Secondly: if the loan is to be paid back without interest, but the bank will benefit from the house for free until the loan is paid off, then this is also haraam, and is a form of interest. The fuqaha’ have stated that if the mortgage is given for a loan, it is not permissible for the lender (the bank) to benefit from it for free, because this is a trick to have a riba-based loan. Rather if the bank wants to benefit from it, then it should rent it at the market rate, without taking any advantage.

Thirdly: If the loan is to be paid back without interest, and the bank will not benefit from the mortgaged house, or it will benefit from it in return for paying market rent, then this is permissible; it is a qard hasan (a good loan) and there is no problem with it.

Read more here - Mortgages - Islamqa

chacha_jalebi
10-10-2008, 03:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun
I would like to know too. I have a mortgage and if I was to give it up me and my family will be homeless.
try to get rid of the mortgage because you are paying interest, and that aint allowed bro, switch to a islamic bank,

many islamic banks work like this, like imagine you like a house and its 600,000, they will buy it for you and maybe sell it to you for 700,000. people may think waaaat, but its still halaal innit, face it :D or move out :p

and on topic, reading the Prophet (saw) seerah he didnt save money, he spent on his family and he also gave it all away charity,

the house, car, laa dee daa that all comes with tawakkul on Allah (swt) seriously:D

------
10-10-2008, 03:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun

If the loan is haraam, as in the first and second scenarios, then it is not permissible to get involved with it, even if the family needs a house, as you said, because of the stern warning that was issued concerning riba. We ask Allaah to keep us safe and sound. This applies even if the mortgage is done in a manner different from what we imagined; perhaps you can clarify the matter.

Source

noorseeker
10-11-2008, 01:06 AM
Halal mortgage , too dodgy if you ask me, had a convo today bout riba, some friends were saying halal mortgages are just to give you peace of mind.

My house is going on the market in a couple of weeks, regardless of the credit crunch, I pray Allah swt finds me way to get away from this riba i am paying

jimbo123
10-11-2008, 09:31 PM
First of all sorry for not responding to this thread earlier.

Now, I think everyone is missing the point of what I was trying to say. It's not directed about loans or mortages. Let's say I want to save up to buy a house and only buy it when I can afford it completely. How would you apply this situation to the prophet - did he have any kind of money savings?

noorseeker
10-12-2008, 12:15 AM
Our prophet saw, did not hold on to his wealth, or any thing that came his way, he used to always give it away, he didnt save it for a rainy day.

Dear brother , he was a prophet of Allah swt, he chose to live a simple life, i dont htink he was worried about money too much.

Regarding the will, you can leave something in your will for good causes ,
but remember your kids , family have a right to inheritance, so what ever is due to them , should go to them'

jimbo123
10-12-2008, 01:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nightstar
Our prophet saw, did not hold on to his wealth, or any thing that came his way, he used to always give it away, he didnt save it for a rainy day.

Dear brother , he was a prophet of Allah swt, he chose to live a simple life, i dont htink he was worried about money too much.

but remember your kids , family have a right to inheritance, so what ever is due to them , should go to them'
Yes I agree, it should go to family first. At the moment I don't have a wife and kids so this is why I was wondering if I could save a will for good causes.

Going back to the first point. The Prophet PBUH didn't save for a rainy day, but is that even possible in this day and age. I mean, let's say I want to move to another country - I'd have to save up first won't I? Or if I wanted to take a course at university I'd have to save up for that too.

jimbo123
10-12-2008, 01:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nightstar

Yes I agree, it should go to family first. At the moment I don't have a wife and kids so this is why I was wondering if I could save a will for good causes.

Going back to the first point. The Prophet PBUH didn't save for a rainy day, but is that even possible in this day and age. I mean, let's say I want to move to another country - I'd have to save up first won't I? Or if I wanted to take a course at university I'd have to save up for that too.

Snowflake
10-12-2008, 01:32 AM
[QUOTE]
format_quote Originally Posted by jimbo123
Salam,

I'm confused about something. I went to a Khutbah last week where the imam said that the truly pious person lives as though each step he takes is like his last one. Of course the Prophet peace be upon him was the most pious out of all of us.
Doing something differently from how the Prophet (pbuh) did it, doesn't have to take away from a man's piety as long as he isn't disobeying Allah and following the Sunnah to the best of his ability. Depending on where we live, things are done differently in different parts of the world and in different ages.

So... if he (PBUH) were alive in this day and age would he save up money? Let's bear in mind that today if someone were to buy a house, it would take years to pay off the mortage.
It's not a question of what the Prophet (pbuh) would have done if he was here today. That's irrelevant because he already left us with guidence which includes this time and the times to come.

However, a person can save up to buy a house. Yes it would take years, but that's a choice a person makes himself. Another option is to borrow money from family and friends (you'd need lots) and pay back later. Or if emigrating isn't an option, one can rent a house. With so many ways to avoid a mortgage, there really is no need to indulge in the haram.

I also have another question. If you write in your will that you want to give away all your money to charity or to development of a mosque, would Allah accept this reward, assuming it's carried out after you die?
That is ok only as long as there are no inheritors or debts to be settled. Otherwise, it is preferable to leave one third of the wealth to charitable purposes. According to some scholars it's less than one third of the property as it was reported about Abu bakr As-Saddiq, 'Ali Ibn Abu Talib and Abdullah Ibn Abbas (may Allah be pleased with them). Abu Bakr As-Saddiq (ra) said:

"I bequeathed the amount which Allah has determined for Himself."

The amount indicated in this phrase in that mentioned in the Qur'anic verse:

"And know that anything you obtain of war booty - then indeed, for Allah is one fifth of it..." (Qur'an: Al-Anfal:41)

Source: A summary of Islamic Jurisprudence Vol 2. Inheritence: Wills. (page 225-226).

P.S. One should always consult a scholar before making a will and in the case of having made one already without consultation, have it reviewed to make sure those entitled aren't left out, since a will can be changed at any time.

alcurad
10-12-2008, 01:47 AM
you have to save up money to have a normal life, the khutba is not the qur'an or sunnah.
and many ahadeeth that seem to be against saving money are actually ones used out of context. rather they were said to comfort the poor and encourage the wealthy to give charity.
if you don't have any other option except to have a mortgage with interest then it's allowed. yes it is dealing in interest, but you're not benefiting from it, and it's only if you have no other viable choice.

noorseeker
10-12-2008, 08:25 AM
you are allowed to save money. there is nothing wrong with that.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.