/* */

PDA

View Full Version : DNA Fingerprinting Could Reveal Your Surname

FatimaAsSideqah
10-10-2008, 07:10 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

Satellite?blobcolurldata&ampblobheaderimage2Fjpeg&ampblobkeyid&ampblobtableMungoBlobs&ampblobwhere1221556530691&ampssbinarytrue -

LONDON (Reuters) - Police could one day predict the surname of male suspects or victims of crime from DNA alone, British researchers said on Wednesday.

Scientists at Leicester University, where DNA fingerprinting was invented in 1984, said they had demonstrated that men with the same surname were highly likely to be genetically linked.

The finding could help genealogy researchers as well detectives investigating crimes using traces of DNA found in blood, hair, saliva or semen.

The technique is based on analyzing DNA from the Y chromosome that imparts maleness and which, like surnames, is passed down from father to son.

Not surprisingly, the likelihood of a good genetic match depends on the rarity of the name, with the most unusual names having the strongest links.

A study of 2,500 men found that on average there was a 24 percent chance of two men with the same surname sharing a common ancestor but this increased to nearly 50 percent when the surname was rare.

Over 70 percent of men with surnames such as Attenborough and Swindlehurst shared the same or near identical Y chromosome types.

"The fact that such a strong link exists between surname and Y chromosome type has a potential use in forensic science, since it suggests that, given large databases of names and Y chromosome profiles, surname prediction from DNA alone may be feasible," said Turi King, who will present her research at a lecture on Wednesday.
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...ence/HSELayout

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Güven
10-12-2008, 09:21 PM
yeah its amazing subhanAllah , they even can discover your ancient genetic heritage :ooh:

:w:

Pk_#2
10-12-2008, 09:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
yeah its amazing subhanAllah , they even can discover your ancient genetic heritage :ooh:

Trust you to be reading this *rolls eyes*

Yah Allaah don't turn my akhi ito a Nerd, Ameen,

AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

Güven
10-12-2008, 09:26 PM
^lol did i say something wrong ??

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
10-12-2008, 09:28 PM
^ its ok everyones a nerd apart from her :D lol

really interesting read sis skye, so although we dont share our parents surnames, so..makes things a bit difficult? :p

Pk_#2
10-12-2008, 09:28 PM
^lol did i say something wrong ??

Ancient genetic waaaaaaa +o(,

Yu betta not turn into a geek, else me n Hamz gonna beat yu up! Loq.

Pk_#2
10-12-2008, 09:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim

really interesting read sis skye, so although we dont share our parents surnames, so..makes things a bit difficult? :p
Wa eva he's not a Nerd! n am not gna let him becum wan Lol,

And her names Fatimah, sheesh, you'd think Geeks wud get tha name ryt, :X

Güven
10-12-2008, 09:31 PM
becuz i said "ancient genetic heritage " im a nerd lol i never get A's At school tho :p

and no more Offtopic please...

FatimaAsSideqah
10-12-2008, 09:33 PM

Ahem! :X

Pk_#2
10-12-2008, 09:33 PM
becuz i said "ancient genetic heritage " im a nerd lol i never get A's At school tho :p:w:
Oki you wazen a geek then,

and no more Offtopic please...
But now you are,

Oki no more, :thumbs_up May you get top marks in your future exams etc, Ameen

IbnAbdulHakim
10-12-2008, 09:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by FatimaAsSideqah
Ahem! :X
did i say something wrong ukhtee? :omg:

i thought we're not suppose to take our parents surnames :-[

i do know however that surnames are not to be changed even after becoming muslim.

thats why i have a sheikh called sheikh waseem kempson, see the kempson never changed lol mashaAllaah :D

Pk_#2
10-12-2008, 09:37 PM

i do know however that surnames are not to be changed even after becoming muslim.

thats why i have a sheikh called sheikh waseem kempson, see the kempson never changed lol mashaAllaah :D
Akhi you called her skye, refer to ma post you silleh plonkah,

Very sorry my dearest sister (on his behalf)..Please forgive him =)

IbnAbdulHakim
10-12-2008, 09:38 PM
^ LOL !

i see!

sorry sister Fatima! see normally sis skye posts such articles

im still at shock that its not her who posted it ;D

jizakAllaah khair, my dua's with you

FatimaAsSideqah
10-12-2008, 09:38 PM

Lol you haven't nothing wrong akhi. Its was me who made this thread, not sis Skye. :)

Yes you right, we are not suppose to take our parent's surname.

FatimaAsSideqah
10-12-2008, 09:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pk_#2
Akhi you called her skye, refer to ma post you silleh plonkah,

Very sorry my dearest sister (on his behalf)..Please forgive him =)
Aww of course I do forgive him! Not worry. :)

Its just mistaken.

FatimaAsSideqah
10-12-2008, 09:41 PM
^ LOL !

i see!

sorry sister Fatima! see normally sis skye posts such articles

im still at shock that its not her who posted it ;D

jizakAllaah khair, my dua's with you
Thats ok akhi! You too in my dua.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.