/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is Allah like this? And other things.

anonymous
10-11-2008, 08:57 AM
- When we say 'if Allah Wills', that means He has control over everything. We don't have free will. We can't do things by ourself because we always say 'if Allah Wills'.

- Why is Allah so 'self complimentary' to Himself in the Qur'an. Allah is 'Wise', Allah is 'All Knowing', etc. Isn't that like showing off.

Yes I am a Muslim and I may be a member of this forum I may not, you would be surprised. I have other questions/doubts on my mind, but I would appreciate it if someone could clear the above two first.

Thank you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
10-11-2008, 02:04 PM
:salamext:

You might want to check out this thread InshaAllaah...

- Qatada -
10-11-2008, 02:40 PM

Allah praises Himself;

1) To inform us who He really is. What would be the point of informing mankind about Himself when He doesn't tell them who He is? He is Al-Rahman because He is the Most Merciful, and He is Al-Aleem because He is the All Knowing. Many have disputed about these Attributes of Allah - so He informs us so we can unite on understanding who Allah really is.

2) It is NOT arrogance if Allah informs us about His Perfection. When would someone be blameworthy if they boasted? It's when they have errors and a lack of abilities. But Allah is Perfect, so He has the right to inform us of His Perfection in whatever way He wills. It is only looked down upon when people boast because they have imperfections, so it seems hypocritical for themselves to boast about themselves, whereas this isn't the case with Allah, the Lord of the Worlds.

- Qatada -
10-11-2008, 04:13 PM

Destiny, a quick explanation on where Muslims stand

Allah knows His creation, He knows the past, present and future. That's His perfection. We believe in this.

So we sometimes get the question - what's the point of our creation if God already knows what's going to happen to us?

We simply say that God knows, but He also sent us the Criterion between wrong and right, truth and falsehood, and He ordered us to believe and do good - He informed us of the consequences of doing bad. We don't know whether we are successful in the next life (even though Allah does know) - that's why we have to strive to do the good in order to recieve the good (i.e. reward and pleasure of Allah.) If we don't believe and do good, then we have been warned of its consequences (i.e. the punishments etc.)

We believe in all the guidance sent by Allah, so since He informs us that He knows the future, and that we need to believe in this to be successful - we accept that. Since He informs us that we have to be obedient to be successful - we accept that. If we believe and obey, That's what makes us successful, in this life and the next.

Our pious predecessors (the salaf) would say that there is neither compulsion (i.e. you have the choice to do good or sin), nor total free will (i.e. you can't choose where you'll be born etc.) - but there is something between the two.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
zircon
10-11-2008, 05:04 PM
its because HE owns all those magnificent attributes then isn't HE praise-worthy?...

Snowflake
10-11-2008, 05:06 PM
May Allah increase us and you in knowledge and wisdom ~ ameen

anonymous
10-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Wait up, so you're saying we have free will? How does that work out? Because, at the end of the day, we say 'if allah wills' this will happen. So if we had free will, then we would just do what we wanted to and not say 'if allah wills'. See where I'm coming from?

NYCmuslim
10-13-2008, 11:14 AM
:sl:

Allah works the universe through His laws. Physical laws, psychological laws etc. We have free will to do whatever we want but our decisions and its consequences are governed by the laws that Allah has established. We get punished and rewarded according to these laws. The Quran was sent as a guidance to help us make the best of our decisions and reap the benefits.

[48:23] Such is God's way with those who have passed away before, and you will not find any change in God's way (sunnatullah).

I hope this makes sense.
Peace

:w:

SixTen
10-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Nothing happens without Allahs will in that, the Earth would not go around the Sun if he had not willed - he has the power to stop it.

Similarly, anything you do, it is subject to Allahs will in that, you can't do it if Allah does not wish you to do it. Allah, however, has bestowed you free will, and hence he has allowed you to do as your free will allows. "Inshallah" is rather, a respective notion, to show that everything to do, is subject to Allah's will in that, somthing we may want to do or are about to do may not happen due to fate.

Hamayun
10-13-2008, 11:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
So if we had free will, then we would just do what we wanted to and not say 'if allah wills'. See where I'm coming from?
The reason why we have drunk addicts, alcoholics, and rapists is because they exercise their free will. Isn't that obvious?

You have the free will right now to become an Atheist if you wish to. There is nothing stopping you (except the Eeman in your heart of course).

See where I am coming from?

noorseeker
10-13-2008, 02:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
Wait up, so you're saying we have free will? How does that work out? Because, at the end of the day, we say 'if allah wills' this will happen. So if we had free will, then we would just do what we wanted to and not say 'if allah wills'. See where I'm coming from?
We`say inshallah because we dont know of future events,

Say im talking about kids to my friend and i say 'WHEN I HAVE KIDS ONE DAY'
i will do this and that,,

Who,s to say i wont drop dead the very next minute, or my future wife may be barren, so you say INSHALLAH.

You have to do your bit.

Haron♥Islam
10-13-2008, 05:08 PM
I say Insha'Allah because We don't know when we will die. Revalation came to the humanity as a warning, but Death will not be call upon us. It will just happen one day. So if I plan to go to school today and do all this stuff, and think about my plans in the future. I leave it to Allah if he will take my last breath today or for the next day, month, or year.

JazakAllahu khairan

noorseeker
10-13-2008, 05:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haron♥Islam
I say Insha'Allah because We don't know when we will die. Revalation came to the humanity as a warning, but Death will not be call upon us. It will just happen one day. So if I plan to go to school today and do all this stuff, and think about my plans in the future. I leave it to Allah if he will take my last breath today or for the next day, month, or year.

JazakAllahu khairan
Agreed most of us say Inshallah because we cant gaurantee our death, we dont really say it because we already know whay Allah swt knows whats gonna hapen,

We dont know the unseen,

MSalman
10-14-2008, 05:44 PM
As-Salamu 'Alaykum

maybe this will be helpful, insha'Allah: Belief in Qadr (Divine Decree)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.