/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Raised Muslim or Convert?

kwolney01
10-12-2008, 05:33 AM
I want to see how diverse this forum is. Lets see how many converts we have!! I'm a convert myself!!

And if you are a convert tell us what made you want to convert?

I'll start off, I wanted to convert after I read some of the Holy Quran and was researching Islam on my own. I was a former Catholic, and I never understood the trinity, when I learned that in Islam there was only One God and he was one it made total sense to me. I'm white and native american too, I think its cool finding out how diverse Islam is!! I could go on further but I’ll keep it short! :D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
BNDGR
10-12-2008, 06:18 AM
Asalam alaikum,
I am a revert. Said the Shahada in May 08.
As I was growing up my parents tried several religions, I was baptized as a baby in one religion and then at about 8 yrs I was baptized again in another religion.
My parents were trying their best to keep God and religion in our lives, but they never found one that gave them that true sense of inner peace.
I became christian when I had my own family but still felt it very hypocritical, everyone would go to church on Sunday and listen to the sermon and protray themselves as good christians, but then go home and for the rest of the week, we would do things that were not good. So that left me with the feeling of a hole and I didn't feel inner peace or that I had found what I was searching for.
One day I met a muslim brother who told me a little bit about Islam and its teachings and he was actually the first muslim that I had ever met. The things he told me made me want to learn more, so I went on the internet and started to spend hours and hours learning and asking questions, in my heart I really felt that what I was reading was so incredible and true and how Islam was not just a one day a week religion, but something that applies to every aspect of your life. Alhumdullilah for everything.

Woodrow
10-12-2008, 06:30 AM
Another white revert living in MN,

Although I am actually mixed race and prefer to call myself oriental and was living in Texas when I reverted.

kwolney01
10-12-2008, 06:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Another white revert living in MN,

Although I am actually mixed race and prefer to call myself oriental and was living in Texas when I reverted.
What Masjid do you go to?

I've been having trouble finding some, I found one in Minneapolis.

There seems to be a good amount of Muslims in MN but not enough Masjids???:mmokay:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
The Khan
10-12-2008, 07:49 AM
:sl:

I am a revert. I was raised as a Muslim and was an atheist for a few years (I don't wish to discuss this). I returned to Islam last year, Alhamdulilah.

I am multi-ethnic: Pashtun, Persian, Muhajir, Dravidian, Russian

:w:

All4Allaah08
10-12-2008, 08:21 AM

I'm a convert, raised a Christian. Long story short, At the beginning of this year I met a Muslim online who became a good friend, that began talking to me about Islam, I began being curious about it so I wanted to learn more, so while I was learning about Islam online, I found out things about Christianity I wasnt taught, like the belief of Jesus being God, the Trinity, Original sin. When I found out about this, it was like I was raised in a religion I didn't believe in, and I always believed in One God and couldnt accept the Christian teachings, I just never questioned anything untill I surfed the internet and found out about this stuff, lol..So I continued studying Islam for half the year and I was drawn to it, in my heart I believed in it. So with months of learning and praying, I converted September 10th 2008. Alhamdulillah for guiding me. I'm multi-ethnic also, Blk/Hisp/Native-American.

Al-Zaara
10-12-2008, 09:23 AM
I was raised a Muslim, elhamdulillah. I'm ethnically Albanian and Turkish, from Kosovo.

m102313
10-12-2008, 09:29 AM
I was also raised a Muslim, Alhumdulillah. My Nationality is British, but my parents are from Gujarat (India) so basically I'm a British-Indian. :D

Cabdullahi
10-12-2008, 10:01 AM
I was raised up a muslim alhamdulilah and im british but originally from the horn of africa

Güven
10-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Raised as a Muslim Alhamdulillah , im from Holland but my origin is Ottoman Aka Turkish :D

MustafaMc
10-12-2008, 11:35 AM
I am a Caucasian (white with brown freckles:)) American revert from a Baptist upbringing. Besides my beloved wife (same background), I am the only Muslim in my family and she is the only one in hers.

Here is my story:
http://www.islamicboard.com/new-musl...tml#post694454

Umu 'Isa
10-12-2008, 12:02 PM
I am a revert from Australia. I've been muslim for about 3 and a half years now alhamdulillah :)

Re.TiReD
10-12-2008, 01:54 PM
:salamext:

Raised Muslim alhamdulillah

------
10-12-2008, 03:02 PM
1st option

Hamayun
10-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Born in a not very religious Muslim Family. Grew up in ignorance but reverted to Islam not long ago Alhamdulillah.

Na7lah
10-12-2008, 05:08 PM
raised muslim walhamdulillah

FatimaAsSideqah
10-12-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm white revert from Scotland. Alhamdulillah. :)

Uthman
10-12-2008, 06:19 PM
I was raised as a Muslim. England is where I was born, my parents being from the tropical island of Mauritius.

aadil77
10-12-2008, 06:19 PM
I want to see how diverse this forum is. Lets see how many converts we have!! I'm a convert myself!!

And if you are a convert tell us what made you want to convert?
nice idea!

MustafaMc
10-12-2008, 06:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by FatimaAsSideqah
I'm white revert from Scotland. Alhamdulillah. :)
Some of my family is from Scotland, hence the "Mc" in MustafaMc.

FatimaAsSideqah
10-12-2008, 06:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
Some of my family is from Scotland, hence the "Mc" in MustafaMc.

oh really? Wow, thats good to hear.

kwolney01
10-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Alhamdulliah!!

Islam is such a beautiful way of life!! This just shows that anyone can be Muslim, and there are Muslims thoughout the whole world!! Alhamdulliah!!

May Allah bless you all!!

transition?
10-12-2008, 11:04 PM
I was born a Muslim, but knew little about Islam originally. Ethnically, I'm from all over India, but I was born in South India and raised in California and Georgia.

Intisar
10-13-2008, 02:04 AM
:sl: I was raised a Muslim, I'm from Somalia, but I started practising when I was 15. :)

BlissfullyJaded
10-13-2008, 05:24 AM

I was raised a Muslim too, and I'm livin in the USA.

Woodrow
10-13-2008, 05:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by kwolney01
What Masjid do you go to?

I've been having trouble finding some, I found one in Minneapolis.

There seems to be a good amount of Muslims in MN but not enough Masjids???:mmokay:

I'm about 200 miles Northwest of you and the closes Masjid for me is the one in Fargo ND. It is nearly all young college students.

However, I spend a lot of time in SD and usually go to the one in Rapid City, sometimes I end up at the other end of SD and go to the one in SiouxFalls.

There are very few Muslims in this section of MN. I believe Aabidah and I are the only ones in the Western Half of the State. There are even less in South Dakota. I believe most of the Muslim Population lives in Sioux Falls, about 1,000 the rest of us about 25 to 100 are scattered all over the state and us 2 in western MN.

The population of the entire state of SD is less than 1/4 the population of Minneapolis. Only 750,000 live in the entire state. about 1,100 Muslims.

Although we spend most of our time in SD we call MN home as we are buying a house there and only have our horses in SD. But, we both are registered at the Fort Mead VA hospital and spend a lot of time there.

Zarmina
10-13-2008, 05:31 AM
I was raised a Muslim as well. :)

Lamees
10-13-2008, 07:15 AM
I was raised as a muslim too..Alhamdulillah:)

truemuslim
10-13-2008, 03:12 PM
born muslim alhamdulillah, im american (unfortunoutly) but originally yemeniiiiiii

julie sarri
10-13-2008, 03:17 PM
I am a white English revert

arabianprincess
10-14-2008, 05:20 AM
salam wa 3lykom

i was raised as a muslim , and im an arab american but originallllllly FROM YEMEN!

Uthman
10-14-2008, 07:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
I was raised as a Muslim. England is where I was born, my parents being from the tropical island of Mauritius.
Sorry, but I don't think anybody can beat that! :D

nebula
04-15-2009, 12:51 AM
I was also born in england, my parents are from pakistan and i was raised a muslim allhumdulilah :).

islamlover_girl
04-15-2009, 12:57 AM
I was born as a muslim too,I am an Egyptian girl.

burdenofbeing
04-15-2009, 01:05 AM
born and raised muslim.

Snowflake
04-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Both grand-fathers were Hindu reverts, although one didn't practice. So alhumdulillah, I was born muslim, but because raised with some non muslim influences like cultural pakistani/indian as well as christian i.e. we celebrated christmas, birthdays and I loved (Isa, pbuh) the most out of all the Prophets. Didn't know much about our beloved Prophet and his life, except that he was 'our' Prophet. But alhumdulillah, finally came to learn the true deen and love Prophet Muhammad sallahu alayhi wa sallam as a muslim should.

You're background sometimes affects the way in which you are raised. : (

Mysterious Uk
04-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Born muslim, prayed and everything but i didn't truely understand Islam enough till i was about 15. I'm bengali so didn't really understand the meanings of quran and salaat but alhamdullilah, that's changed like.

ahmed_indian
04-15-2009, 11:40 AM
raised muslim

u can keep one more option.... born-again muslim (muslim who started practising islam later in life)

Danah
04-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Arab Born Muslim Wa Al Hamdulilah

maryam87
04-15-2009, 01:19 PM
From what i notice reverts are usually much more religious then people who were born as muslims do tell me if im wrong, im a born muslim myself. Do people who are born muslims really understand the gift they have?

Danah
04-15-2009, 01:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam87
From what i notice reverts are usually much more religious then people who were born as muslims
100% right

Do people who are born muslims really understand the gift they have?
I hope all of them do

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Born a Muslim, had a bit of sense of my deen but not enough to keep me practicin. Alhamdulillah Allah(swt) guided me and now do practice :) Was the first in my family to start wearing hijab then my mother, Alhamdulillah.

Pakistani livin in the USA.

greenshirt
04-17-2009, 12:42 AM
white revert to islam here.

funny because even though i have greek in my family i am mainly ethnically albanian. you would think i would be born muslim! but nooooo. i grew up in a strict eastern orthodox household. didnt learn about islam until i moved to the USA and searched on my own.

glo
09-09-2009, 12:26 PM
I am surprised by the poll result so far.
I had expected more people to be reverts.

Rabi'ya
09-09-2009, 12:32 PM

I just voted revert so its gone up by one!!! lol

S_87
09-09-2009, 12:47 PM
raised muslim alhumdulillah, born in barbados, raised in the UK

GuestFellow
09-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Well I was raised to be a Muslim but unlike my parents I wasn't religious. I left my religion but after doing some research I decided to come back to my faith.

S_87
09-09-2009, 06:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
Well I was raised to be a Muslim but unlike my parents I wasn't religious. I left my religion but after doing some research I decided to come back to my faith.
Alhumdulillah

Rasema
09-09-2009, 07:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hafsah

Raised Muslim alhamdulillah

100x2 respects for you sister.

Well, I'm a Bosnian Muslim and I became a practicing a year ago. Alhamdulillah this deen transforms you.
100x2 respects for everyone else.

:wa:

Nora.
09-10-2009, 02:19 AM
raised as a Muslim الحمدلله :)
I'm a Saudi 100%
and I live in Saudi Arabia

Ramadhan
09-10-2009, 03:16 AM
I am an Indonesian and I was born and raised as a muslim, but I strayed and became an agnostic in my 20s, and Alhamdulillah since last year I have reverted back to Islam.
I shudder everytime I remember my time of ignorance.

Rasema
09-10-2009, 10:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nora.
raised as a Muslim الحمدلله :)
I'm a Saudi 100%
and I live in Saudi Arabia

100%X2 Respects for Saudis.

Aisha20
09-10-2009, 10:49 PM
Raised Muslim Alhamdulillah :D

Humbler_359
09-10-2009, 10:51 PM

No one asking me? Lol...

I am a Muslim born orginally from Pakistan and moved to Canada when I was young.

I love Islam period, Masha'Allah ! :statisfie

Asian man
09-10-2009, 11:29 PM
I was born and raised Muslim as well and alhumdulilah I have good religous parents that taught me about Islam and thank Allah (swt) i was put in a good Muslim family.

al Amaanah
09-11-2009, 05:30 AM

raised as a muslim walhamdulillah.

- IqRa -
09-14-2009, 08:26 AM
Raised as a Muslim, but done some very very shameful things... Astagfirullah... (May Allah forgive me, Ameen)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.