/* */

PDA

View Full Version : First helpline in UAE to fight extreme interpretations of Islam

Uthman
10-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Dubai, October 10: Muslim clergies in the UAE have put in place the world’s first Islamic helpline in an attempt to root out extreme interpretations of Islam by extremists. The UAE, which established the call centre three months ago, ensures that the rulings based on Islamic law comply with the government’s moderate religious stance.

“The hardest questions I am asked involve sex. I feel shame, but I have to answer the questions because it is my duty,” Mufti Abdulrahman Ammoura was quoted as saying by the Daily Telegraph newspaper on Friday.

His advice counts as an official fatwa in the UAE, under new rules issued by the General Authority for Islamic Affairs and Endowments.

A group of 48 Islamic scholars and Imams man the call centre telephones from morning till evening and deliver rulings in an attempt to root out extreme interpretations of Islam.

Muslims from all over the world are reaching out to the helpline, with organisers putting the number at about 3,700 calls a day.

The helpline staff work in teams, with six men and two women on six-hour shifts and a skeleton staff takes calls for “religious emergencies” during the night, the report in the British daily said.

Callers have a three minute time slot and have the option of choosing service in Arabic, Urdu or English.

The authorities are surprised by the overwhelming response. “We were not prepared for the popularity. Already, we get more calls than Emirates Airlines,” one official said.

With growing popularity of the service, plans are being sketched to employ extra 50 muftis and open satellite centres elsewhere in the Muslim world.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
10-16-2008, 08:46 AM
:bump1:

Faseeha
10-16-2008, 10:22 AM
Thats a great much needed service, i think that each country needs a call centre like this

Malaikah
10-16-2008, 10:30 AM
:sl:

That is so cool mashaAllah!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hamayun
10-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Its a step in the right direction. We need more organisations like this all over the world.

MO783
10-16-2008, 11:32 AM
:sl:

This is definately very good, lets hope for some more.

S_87
10-16-2008, 11:40 AM
i wonder what they count as 'extreme' since we can all see what Dubais moderateness is...

KAding
10-16-2008, 12:16 PM
What is most needed to avoid confusion among different interpretations is a hot line with God himself, who dictated the book.

Alas, he is not currently available for such a service ;).

The Khan
10-16-2008, 12:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
i wonder what they count as 'extreme' since we can all see what Dubais moderateness is...
Or rather, extremely liberal. They allowed women to go topless on the beach until last year, after all.

Which madhab do the majority of Emiratis follow? I know most of the South Asian expats follow Hanafi, and that the Persians are Ithna Ashari.

Keltoi
10-16-2008, 02:13 PM
It's a good idea. Although I'm sure any cleric out there who teaches extremist doctrines will simply tell his followers that the hotline is the voice of Satan...:)

The_Prince
10-18-2008, 05:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
extreme on this line is people who are thinking of going out and making takfir on ppl and then killing them etc etc

doorster
10-18-2008, 06:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
extreme on this line is people who are thinking of going out and making takfir on ppl and then killing them etc etc
I have seen that type in Pakistan too but I do not believe them to be working for good of Islaam but for the property they would rob of their victims

^..sTr!vEr..^
10-18-2008, 06:09 PM
great job.. i hope they spread the right islam inshallah!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.