/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Eid celebrations held in Trafalgar Square

Uthman
10-12-2008, 05:54 PM
LONDON, Oct 12 (APP)- The London City Government together with Muslim organisations arranged a festival at the famous Trafalgar Square to mark the celebrations of Eid-ul-Fitr. It was the third time that Eid celebrations have taken place in city’s iconic tourist attraction and thousands attended the celebrations on Saturday.

Mayor of London Boris Johnson spoke on the occasion and said: “Unity and peace are key themes of Ramadan and Eid celebrations, and this festival has brought together people from all parts of London and the world to enjoy the celebrations, whilst being reminded of universal human values such compassion and charity.”

He said the event has also given Londoners of all backgrounds the opportunity to join the Muslim community in experiencing the cultural richness and diversity of Islam. The celebrations included artists representing many of London’s Muslim communities.

This year’s Eid in the Square included traditional music and music with contemporary influences. Many of the artists sought to imbue their performances with some personal expression or spiritual meaning.

Performers include Aa’shiq Al-Rasul, which started as a Nasheed group ten years ago, and have made six albums, Amir Awan, the composer, singer and song writer from North London, whose music focused upon spiritual reflection, and from Shahid Falahi, an established performer from the Bangladeshi community who aims to revive the Islamic spirit through songs, drama and literature.

The Pearls of Islam were two young females artists who combined traditional instruments, such as the dumbek and the djmebe, with modern rap, poetry, or nasheeds, and created a unique mixture of sound that was enjoyed by people of all ages and musical tastes.

The Khayaal Theatre Company offered the crowds a fascinating experience of Muslim world culture through contemporary art forms. Khayaal created its own special brand of entertainment that involved touches of wisdom and humour which won it popular acclaim amongst audiences of all faiths and cultures.

The four-hour festival also featured food and goods from street bazaar, plus exhibitions and displays about Islam. Partners for the event included Muslim Council of Britain, Transport for London, Muslim Aid and Islamic Relief.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
10-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Boris 'proud of Muslim heritage'

The Mayor of London told thousands of Muslims gathered in the capital that he was proud of his Islamic heritage.

Speaking at a free event in Trafalgar Square celebrating the Muslim festival of Eid-ul-Fitr, Boris Johnson said: "You may or may not know this or believe it, but exactly 100 years ago, in 1908, my father's father's father came to south London. He was a Muslim and he knew the Koran off by heart in Arabic. He would be absolutely amazed to discover that his great-grandson had become Mayor of London. I am proud of that."

Crowds descended on the landmark in warm sunshine for the third annual Eid In The Square to mark the end of Ramadan with music, exhibitions, activities for children and prayers.

Source

Hamayun
10-12-2008, 09:26 PM
I was there with my wife. Who else was there?

wildkat
10-12-2008, 09:31 PM
The "Pearls of Islam" came to a uni event in Leicester a while ago, and they were really good!!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
afzalaung
10-14-2008, 04:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
Boris 'proud of Muslim heritage'

The Mayor of London told thousands of Muslims gathered in the capital that he was proud of his Islamic heritage.

Speaking at a free event in Trafalgar Square celebrating the Muslim festival of Eid-ul-Fitr, Boris Johnson said: "You may or may not know this or believe it, but exactly 100 years ago, in 1908, my father's father's father came to south London. He was a Muslim and he knew the Koran off by heart in Arabic. He would be absolutely amazed to discover that his great-grandson had become Mayor of London. I am proud of that."

Crowds descended on the landmark in warm sunshine for the third annual Eid In The Square to mark the end of Ramadan with music, exhibitions, activities for children and prayers.

Source
if he was in america, saying this would have killed his political career.

north_malaysian
10-14-2008, 07:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
"You may or may not know this or believe it, but exactly 100 years ago, in 1908, my father's father's father came to south London. He was a Muslim and he knew the Koran off by heart in Arabic.
He's an Arab or Asian?

Uthman
10-14-2008, 07:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
He's an Arab or Asian?

north_malaysian
10-14-2008, 07:55 AM
Thanks Osman for the pic.... just found out that his great grandfather was a Turk...

-S-
10-14-2008, 10:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun
I was there with my wife. Who else was there?
Yup i was there too....Did u see Labbayk Perform :D

Hamayun
10-14-2008, 10:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by -S-
Yup i was there too....Did u see Labbayk Perform :D
Was Labbayk the last performer? lol He was really funny.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.