/* */

PDA

View Full Version : UK is in TROUBLE!

Güven
10-14-2008, 01:56 PM
:sl:

Britain faces black widow spider invasion as hordes of alien bugs now thrive in our warmer climate

Deadly black widow spiders could soon establish colonies in Britain due to warmer weather, experts warned today.

They said it was ‘only a matter of time’ before the extremely poisonous American arachnid join the 500 other alien bug species invading the UK each year.

New inhabitants, which ‘hitchhike’ here in food and plant imports, already include its cousin, the false widow spider.
Black widow

Threat: The arrival of black widow spiders is 'only a matter of time', experts say

Researchers believe many arachnids and insects are now able to survive and spread thanks to the UK’s increasingly mild climate caused by global warming.

And some recent arrivals, such as Asian Harlequin ladybirds and leaf beetles, are already threatening to wipe out some of Britain’s native species.

Conservation group Buglife wants import rules to be strengthened to stem the tide of alien species invasion.

Its director Matt Shardlow told Mail Online: ‘Other countries in the world, such as Australia and New Zealand, take great care about what biological material they allow in, because it can contain pests that can damage our goods, our livelihoods, our health and our biodiversity.

‘Currently in the UK, we have a laissez-faire attitude - there is an open licence for people to bring in dangerous pests.

‘The only course of action we have is to write a warning letter to foreign governments.’

Recent years have seen serveral of reports of ‘black widows’ being spotted in bunches of bananas and other fruit by members of the public.

Many such sightings are thought to have its similar-looking, but much less dangerous cousin, steatoda paykulliana, which is commonly known as the false widow.

Originally from southern Europe, it was first seen in Britain as early as the 19th Century but was not thought to have established colonies.

Now it has established itself around Plymouth, Devon, and, due to milder weather, it could spread more widely across the south of England.

‘If there was a warm period they would be able to survive, but a cold snap would kill them off,’ said Stuart Hine of the Insect Identification Service at the Natural History Museum in London.

‘But now, our increasingly warm climate is starting to suit many more spiders - and once they come in, they are able to stay put.’

He suggested that the black widow could soon follow suit.

‘There is no great reason that they wouldn’t survive here now - winters are now mild enough,’ he said.

‘It really is only a matter of time.’

But a spokesperson for the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) said that a new strategy was in place to ‘tackle the threat to the UK’s native biodiversity from unwanted pest species which have hitchhiked into the UK on plants’.

Source : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...r-climate.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Güven
10-14-2008, 02:02 PM
:sl:

they look beautiful but thats not something that you want in your house innit ?:skeleton:

10-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Beautiful ? :offended:

Re.TiReD
10-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Yup, beautiful but deadly :Evil:

May Allah protect us :) Ameen

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
truemuslim
10-14-2008, 02:15 PM
LOL america is in more trouble.................

humans will one day become endangered :p

its ...very .......cute..

hmm.. i had a dream about spiders last night *shiver*

Musaafirah
10-14-2008, 02:15 PM
That is so depressing. The only advantage of living in the UK was that there were no lethally dangerously scary bugs. Now that advantage is gone, I'm emigrating :muddlehea

Musaafirah
10-14-2008, 02:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
LOL america is in more trouble.................

humans will one day become endangered :p

its ...very .......cute..

hmm.. i had a dream about spiders last night *shiver*
lol

truemuslim
10-14-2008, 02:18 PM
^ lol

the world is in trouble, why? coz bush hasnt left(the world). and THATS how humans are becoming endangered....

is that spider all the bugs u ppl got in ur houses??

Güven
10-14-2008, 02:18 PM
lol glad that im not living in the UK Alhamdullilah lol and dont you think the spider looks beautifull not that i want them in my house :D

:w:

truemuslim
10-14-2008, 02:19 PM
looks like an alien :p cute

Na7lah
10-14-2008, 02:28 PM
:ooh: i hate spiders :blind:

AvarAllahNoor
10-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Love spiders.

They'll die-out once we have our freezing winter.

Güven
10-14-2008, 03:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Love spiders.

They'll die-out once we have our freezing winter.

:hmm:

‘There is no great reason that they wouldn’t survive here now - winters are now mild enough,’ he said.

AvarAllahNoor
10-14-2008, 03:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven

:hmm:

They said that about reptiles a few years ago, do you come across many snakes outside? I certainly don't.

Güven
10-14-2008, 03:23 PM
^I dont know , I dont live in the UK lol :D

but it is possible :)

AvarAllahNoor
10-14-2008, 03:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
^I dont know , I dont live in the UK lol :D

but it is possible :)
Ah, that explains it. Are you in Alaska? says you live in a place that is cold. Or could it be the North Pole? :D

Güven
10-14-2008, 03:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Ah, that explains it. Are you in Alaska? says you live in a place that is cold. Or could it be the North Pole? :D

noooooooooooo LOL ;D

i live in Holland , well im a bit exaggerating about too cold i guess :D

pshhh Alaska ar you crazyyy :p

Muezzin
10-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Calm down, calm down.

It's just the Daily Mail scaremongering again. I'm surprised their most dedicated readers can make it to the newsagents without soiling themselves.

Re.TiReD
10-15-2008, 09:10 AM
^^ lol

;D

Yer all safe. Coz Muezzin said so.

SixTen
10-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Its true, 10 years ago, mosquitos were unknown in the UK, nowadays, they selling mosquito repellant in stores everywhere!

I hate creepy crawlies :X

SixTen
10-15-2008, 11:20 AM
I have a plan, if all of us UK residents, all chip in, and buy a refrigerator, a 2nd one, kept outside with the door open, all 60 million of us, we may just be able to scare these bugs away!

Re.TiReD
10-15-2008, 11:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SixTen
I have a plan, if all of us UK residents, all chip in, and buy a refrigerator, a 2nd one, kept outside with the door open, all 60 million of us, we may just be able to scare these bugs away!
Forgive me for being so slow, but whats that going to do?

Apart from rid Comet of all its fridges

------
10-15-2008, 11:25 AM
that spider looks so cute! :D

Güven
10-15-2008, 11:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by JolieFleur

I think it can make the Uk Colder lol so that it can scare the spiders away :D

Güven
10-15-2008, 11:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM
that spider looks so cute! :D

I agree :D

SixTen
10-15-2008, 11:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by JolieFleur

It is the increase in warmth thats getting them all here, hence the refrigerator joke :X (you know, cool down the country)

Re.TiReD
10-15-2008, 11:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SixTen
It is the increase in warmth thats getting them all here, hence the refrigerator joke :X (you know, cool down the country)
lol just messing, I got it the first time round :-[

Sahabiyaat
10-15-2008, 12:12 PM
anybody remember having those swarms of flying ants every once in a while?

i got caught in that swarm outside as a kid once ...they were crawling iin my hair...:enough!:

truemuslim
10-15-2008, 12:54 PM
^ omg nd ur still living?!!!!!! lol :p

i remember here would be filled with lady bugs on our ceilings nd walls flyin nd crawling in the WINTER ONLY, nd i'd be all in the blanket then think mayb thers som in ther nd go freak out :p i hate bugs, ladybugs most, coz they act like the angels, but theyr the evilest ones :Evil: ...nd coz i had to spend a whole winter wit them :(

Güven
10-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Glad that we dont have that in Holland :D Alhamdullah

Omg did i just compliment Holland:ooh:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.