/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Inmate who says he's too fat to die to be executed

Woodrow
10-14-2008, 02:54 PM
:sl: to our Muslim members Peace to those who are not Muslim,

I am posting this in hopes of clarifying some misconceptions about the legal system in the USA. It is difficult for many people to comprehend that for the most part each State is self governed and establishes much of it's own laws. This is most readily seen in the criminal laws and enforcement of same.

I am posting this story from Ohio for a start. Later I will post stories from other states, to show how the states differ.

Now for the story:

Inmate who says he's too fat to die to be executed

By MATT REED, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 1 minute ago

LUCASVILLE, Ohio - A 5-foot-7, 267-pound double murderer who says he's too fat to be executed humanely passed a pre-execution exam Tuesday and was cleared to receive a lethal injection as the U.S. Supreme Court denied his latest appeal
For the full story here is the link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081014/...isohiyiISs0NUE

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AvarAllahNoor
10-14-2008, 03:11 PM
What is your point? He's a criminal. If he's decided to munch on doghnuts (like most americans to be honest) then that's his fault. His death shall be a relief to the victims famlies.

Izyan
10-14-2008, 03:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
What is your point? He's a criminal. If he's decided to munch on doghnuts (like most americans to be honest) then that's his fault. His death shall be a relief to the victims famlies.
His point is that in a state like Illinois he wouldn't be put to death because there is no Death Penalty there. Even though we have a Central Federal Government there are many things outside of their jurisdiction. For example, only 3 states I believe allow gay marriage all of the rest won't recognize it. It even gets more localized than that. Even though a State determines their gun laws, a county inside the state can regulate it even further. In one county it can be legal to own a registered gun but another county can refuse to register guns which make the firearm illegal.

Woodrow
10-14-2008, 06:35 PM
That is one of the points I am trying to show. Often people outside the USA criticize us for being too lax and too lenient on criminals. However, what is true for one state may not be for another. It is unfair to pass blanket judgement on all 50 states as each state is very much self governing and even within a state each county may have different laws that may or may not be lenient.

In Texas for example there is much belief it is wild with much drinking of alcohol, but it is illegal to sell alcohol in nearly half of the counties and there is a state wide public intoxication law which makes it illegal to consume alcohol in any public place and provides for jail time for anybody who "appears" intoxicated. Note: the word "appeared". The person need not be legaly intoxicated just suspicion that the person has consumed alcohol is sufficient for a conviction.

It can be a very strange country to a visitor as it can be difficult to know what is illegal from state to state. To further complicate the matter State laws do not apply on the native American reservations and they operate under their own system of tribal laws.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
SixTen
10-14-2008, 07:05 PM
I dunno, a lot of people in the UK - actually feel that the death sentence should never exist. I havn't heard people talking about lax punishments, but here in UK anyway, people feel the crime prevention and laws which affect crimes, are handled badly in the U.S, I havn't ever met anyone say that they think the US don't punish hard enough (maybe too hard if anythin, regarding say, racism being a factor in a lot of cases).

barney
10-14-2008, 07:10 PM
How can he be too fat to die? I'm sure a firing squad could penertrate his flab with a few 7.62's. How fat is he?

kwolney01
10-14-2008, 07:11 PM
It shouldn't matter if he is too fat! Haha I think the only reason they do an evalution before is so there are no comlications. I could never be the one doing that!! I would feel guilty myself! :-[

SixTen
10-14-2008, 07:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
How can he be too fat to die? I'm sure a firing squad could penertrate his flab with a few 7.62's. How fat is he?
He meant, too fat to be killed by the normal executionary procedures, humanely/in dignitiy (im guessing hanging?).

So he took a lethal injection instead.

Izyan
10-14-2008, 07:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SixTen
He meant, too fat to be killed by the normal executionary procedures, humanely/in dignitiy (im guessing hanging?).

Lethal Injection is all we do now. No more electric chair, no more hanging, no gas chamber.

barney
10-14-2008, 11:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SixTen

Yup,I gathered that, but I'm feeling a bit snarky today. In zero tolerance mode!

AvarAllahNoor
10-15-2008, 01:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
It may ricochet, and hit the firing squad. (Pictures that cartoon scene)

I think they should breakup the USA, likethey did with the USSR. Each state seems to be independent anyways, why prolong it any further.

Izyan
10-15-2008, 03:59 PM

I think they should breakup the USA, likethey did with the USSR. Each state seems to be independent anyways, why prolong it any further.
Because unlike the USSR the states don't want to be seperate. There are fringe groups out there that want secede but on the whole everyone likes to be part of US. The whole State Laws vs Federal Laws has it's roots to our revolution. Most people that's not from here don't understand it but we do and we cherish it. We a truly a seperate but united nation. 9/11 proved that.

Woodrow
10-15-2008, 05:03 PM

I believe the firing squad and hanging are still used in Utah.

Each state is very independent. The unification is essentialy for mutual protection. Sort of like saying anybody mess with one state the other 49 will come to it's aid.

There are also a few territories and commonwealths that are part of the USA but under very different laws except for alliance for protection.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.