/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Gems and Jewels - Abdul Malik Mujahid

Re.TiReD
10-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Taken from Gems and Jewels - compiled by Abdul Malik Mujahid

Do not attach your heart to other than Allah

Imaam ibn Taymiyyah RA said:

“Anyone whose heart is attached to the creation, hoping for someone from the creation to help him or provide for him or guide him, then his heart submits to them and to the degree that his heart submits to them, he becomes their slave. This holds true, even if he is outwardly a ruler or guardian over those whom he treats as masters. The wise one looks at realities and not at appearances. So if a man’s heart is attached to his wife, even though it is permissible, his heart remains a prisoner to her and she may rule over him as she pleases – though outwardly he is her master and her husband. In reality, he is her prisoner and her slave, especially if she knows how much he is need of her and how much he is in love with her and how much he feels she cannot be replaced by anyone else. At that point, she rules over him as the tyrant master rules over his subjugated slave, who cannot escape of go free. Indeed for the heart to be taken as a prisoner is a much greater matter than for the body to be taken prisoner or slave. Even a body that is a slave can have in it a serene and peaceful and happy heart. As far the heart that is a slave to other than Allah then that is true humiliation, imprisonment and slavery.”

~~~~

Words of wisdom

When Ibn `Aun was bidding farewell to another man, he said: “Upon you is to fear Allah, for the one who has taqwaa never feels loneliness”.

Zaid bin Aslam said: “Whoever fears Allah people will love him, even if they had previously hated him”.

Imaam Thauri said to Ibn Abi Dha`ib “If you fear Allah, He will be enough for you so that you do not need people. And if you fear people, they will not satisfy you in the least terms of your total dependence on Allah”

Sulaiman bin Dawood said “We have been given what others have been given and more, and we know what others know and more, and we have found that nothing is better than the fear of Allah in secret and in open, justice during times of happiness and sadness, and moderation in times of poverty and richness”.

~~~~

True Honour

Allah SWT says in the Noble Quraan that honour comes only through piety:

‘Verily, the most honourable of you with Allah is that believer who has taqwaa (piety, righteousness, the fear of Allah etc)’ 49:13

It is related that Umar bin Khattab RA passed by a man who proudly said ‘I am from the valleys of Makkah’. He stood over him and said, ‘If you have religion, then you have honour, if you have sound mind, then you have dignity, if you have knowledge then you have respect otherwise you are on an equal footing with donkeys.’
And it has been said “honour during the days of Ignorance was achieved by eloquent speech, by bravery and forbearance and in Islam by religion and piety”.

~~~~

Five matters

The Prophet

said, “I was given five matters that no other Prophet before me was given. The first is that I was given victory with terror (i.e, people felt fear and terror) equivalent to the distance it would take one to travel in one month (that is how widespread the terror and awe had become). Secondly, the entire earth has been made a mosque for me and its soil is pure. Thirdly, the spoils of war have been made lawful to me. Next, I have been given intercession, and finally each Prophet before me was sent to a specific people, while I was sent to all of mankind” (Saheeh Bukhari).

Source: Gems and Jewels

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Re.TiReD
10-17-2008, 11:32 AM
A beautiful approach to exhorting to Islam

Abu Hurairah RA related that one day he passed by the marketplace of Al Madinah, and stood there and said to the owners of the shops; “O people of the marketplace, what has rendered you incapable?” They replied “What are you referring to, O Abu Hurairah?”.

He said, “There is the inheritance of the Prophet

being distributed and you are here? Will you not go there and take your share of the inheritance?”. They said “Where is it?”. He replied; “In the mosque”.

So they raced out all together from the marketplace to the mosque to receive their share and Abu Hurairah was waiting in their return. They came back looking disappointed. Abu Hurairah asked them what they had found at the mosque. They replied: “O Abu Hurairah, when we went to the mosque, we did not find any inheritance or estate being distributed”. He asked them what they saw in the mosque. They recounted that they saw a group engaged in prayer and another busy in the recitation of the Quraan and another studying what was lawful and what was not.

Then Abu Hurairah said to them, “Woe unto you, for that is the inheritance of the Prophet Muhammad

~~~~

The Intelligent Questioner

It is said that a beggar went to a rich man from Khurasaan and asked for help. He heard him say to his servant, “O Gold, say to this gem, to say to jewel to say to sapphire to say to this beggar that we do not have anything”.

The beggar raised his hands to the sky and said, “O my Lord, say to Jibreel, to say to Israafeel, to say to Mikail to say to Izrail, to take the soul of this miser”.

~~~~

The sermons of the wise

Ali ibn Abi Talib RA said, “I advise you with five…none of you should hope except from his Lord and none of you should fear except his sin, and none should be shy (when faced with a question) to reply humbly ‘I don’t know’. And none should hesistate to acquaint themselves with the matter they are ignorant about. One should know that the patience to imaan is like the head to a body, if the head is cut off, the body perishes aswell. Also whoever desires richness without having wealth and abundance and without having a large clan, then let him turn from the depravity of sin to the honour of serving Allah.”

Hasan said, “Whoever fears Allah, He will make all things fear him. And whoever fears people, Allah will make him fear everything”.

Re.TiReD
10-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Begin with yourself

A man went to Ibn `Abbas RA and said “O Ibn `Abbas, I want to enjoin people to do good and forbid them from doing evil.
Ibn `Abbas said, “And have you reached that level?”
He said, “I hope that that is so.”
Ibn `Abbas said, “If you do not fear to be exposed by three verses of Allah’s book then do so”
The man asked, “And what are they?”
He mentioned this verse:

“Enjoin you Al Birr (piety and righteousness and each and every act of obedience to Allah) on the people and you forget (to practice it) yourselves.” (2:44)

And then asked, “Have you applied the implications of this verse?”
The man said “No”.
Ibn `Abbas then mentioned the second verse:

“Why do you say that which you do not do? Most hateful it is with Allah that you say which you do not do”
(61:2,3)

After that he asked, “Have you applied the implications of this verse?” the man again replied “No”. Ibn `Abbas then mentioned the third verse regarding Shu`aib AS:

“I wish not, in contradiction to you, to do that which I forbid you” (11:88)

And then he asked, “Have you applied the implications of this verse? The man yet again answered “No”. Then Ibn `Abbas said “Begin with yourself first”.

Re.TiReD
10-17-2008, 12:20 PM
A profound saying of Ibn Qayyim

Ibn Qayyim (ra) said:

“When the slave wakes up as the night encloses him and his only concern is Allah and how to please and obey Him, then Allah takes it upon Him to fulfil all his needs and remove from him all that causes him anxiety. Allah also makes his heart free to love Him only, his tongue free to remember Him only, and his body free to serve Him only.

However, when a slave of Allah wakes up and the night encloses him and his main concern is the world, Allah will make him bear the burdens of its anxiety, grief and hardship. Allah will entrust him to his own self and He will make his heart busy, sealing it from His love since it will be preoccupied in the love of creation. Allah will keep his tongue from His remembrance because it will be engaged with His creation: his body will be kept from obedience since it will be enslaved by its desires and services. And he will toil like a beast of burden toils in the service of another. And all who turn away from the worship, obedience and love of Allah will be put into trial with the worship, service and love for creation.

Allah SWT says:

“And whosoever turns away (blinds himself) from the remembrance of the Most Gracious (Allah) (i.e this Quran and worship of Allah), We appoint for him Shaytaan to be a Qarin (an intimate companion) to him” (43:36)

Ibn Qayyim continues to say, ”Seek out your heart in three situations first, when you are listening to the Quraan, when you are part of a gathering of remembrance and third, when you are alone and away from the world and its distractions. If you cannot find your heart in these situations, then ask Allah to bestow upon you a heart, for indeed you are bereft of one.”

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Re.TiReD
10-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Many Wives

There was a man from the Arabs who was known for always having many wives throughout his life and it was said to him, “And how were able to keep so many?”. He said, “When we were young, they stuck to me because of my youth. Then I had wealth, and they were patient with me because of that. When my youth and wealth parted, all that remained were my good manners, and through them I live with my wives and the live with me

Re.TiReD
10-17-2008, 12:47 PM
From the wise sayings of Luqman

"If you are in prayer, take care of your heart; if you are eating, take care of your throat; if you are in another man's house, take care of your eyes; if you are among people, take care of your tongue. Remember two matters and forget two matters: Remember Allah and death, forget any good that you have done to another and any evil that was done to you by another"

~~~~

Inscribed in Gold
Asma`i said that Abdul Malik once delievered a very profound sermon, during which he began to weep while begging Allah: "O Lord, my sins are great, but a small amount of Your forgiveness is greater than them. O Allah, forgive the greatness of my sins with a little of Your mercy."

Asma`i said that when these words reached the ears of Hassan Basri, he too began to cry, stating that if ever words were uttered that should be inscribed in gold, those would be those words.

Re.TiReD
10-17-2008, 12:48 PM
The Worshipper who invokes against the Oppressor

Ziyad (Ibn Sumayyah) wrote to Mu`awiyah stating, "Indeed i have taken Iraq using my right hand yet my left hand remains empty". He said this implying a desire to have the Hijaza added to his governship. News of this reached the god fearing, pious Companion, `Abdullah bin Umar bin Khattab RA who knew of Ziyad's oppression and tyranny. He raised his hands towards the sky and supplicated: "O Allah, keep us safe from the harm of Ziyad's left hand".
A cancerous ulcer began to grow on Ziyad's left hand that ultimately caused his death.

~~~~

As time passes

Abdullah bin Mas`ud RA said: "Indeed i hate to see a man idle, neither working for this world and Hereafter".

Hassan Basri (ra) said: "O son of Adam, indeed you are only but a number of days. Whenever a day passes, a part of you leaves with it"

Hassan said "I have met pious people who are more miserly with their time than they are with their wealth".

Hassan also said in a sermon, "Do not let the temporary and little charms of this world distract and entice you....and do not say tomorrow and tomorrow, for indeed you do not know when you will be heading to Allah".

Re.TiReD
10-17-2008, 12:48 PM
The Forbearance of Ali bin Hussain RA

Abdur-Razzaq related that a slave girl who belonged to Ali bin Hussain RA was pouring water over him so that he could make ablution, but the jug fell from her hand, landed on his face and fractured his bone. He raised his head to her and she recited a part of verse:

'".....who repress anger...." (3:134)

He said "I have controlled my anger", she then recited:

"....who pardon men..." (3:134)

He said, "May Allah forgive you". She then recited the end of the verse:

"....verily, Allah loves Al-Muhsinun (the good doers)." (3:134)

He said, "You are free for the Countenance of Allah"

~~~~~

She is in Paradise

Khalid bin Safwan saw a group in the mosque of Basrah and he said, "what is this gathering?". He was told, "There is a woman who informs men about women who are available for marriage".
He went to her and said, "I want to marry a woman". She said, "Describe her to me".
He said:

"I want her to be a virgin who is wise like a married woman, or a married woman who is innocent like a virgin; she should be sweet when she is near, splendid when she is at a distance, she should have lived a life of luxury and then become afflicted with poverty - so she has the manners of the rich and humility of the poor. When we gather wealth we should be as the people of the world, and when we become poor, we should be as the people of the Hereafter".

The woman replied, "I know of such a woman for you".
He asked, "And where is she?"
She said, "In Paradise, so work hard to achieve her!"

Re.TiReD
10-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Good Advice

Shu'bah and Qatadah related from Yunus bin Jubair, who said that he and his companions visited Jundub and said to him, "Give us some advice". He replied:

"I advise you to fear Allah. I advise you to adhere to the Quraan - for it is light in the darkest of nights and it is guidance during the day. Apply it...and if a trial, such as poverty comes to you, give precedence to your religion over wealth. If that trial worsens, continue to put your religion before your wealth and your soul, for indeed the one who is destroyed is the one whose religion is destroyed; the one who is poor is the one who has lost his religion. Know that there is no poverty after Paradise and there is no richness after the Hellfire".

~~~~~

The Mother of your children

A bedouin one day said to his children. "I did good to you not only when you were young or grew up, but also before you were born".

They said, "Indeed we know that you have treated us well when we were very young and when we grew up, but how is that you treated us well even before we were born?"

He said, "I chose mothers for you that will not disgrace or discredit you"

Re.TiReD
Mother of the Martyrs

When Muthanna bin Haritha Ash-Shaibani went Qadisiyya during the caliphate of 'Umar bin Khattab, Khansa' was with her four children that were accompanying the army on the day of battle and the night before it.
Khansa' gathered her children to guide and incite them to fight with bravery. She warned them from wanting to flee from battle while reminding them of the merits and rewards of martyrdom in the way of Allah ( the Exalted). She said them: “O my children, you have accepted Islam in obedience and you have migrated by your own choice...and you know of the plentiful reward that Allah has prepared for believers for fighting those that do not believe. Know that the final adobe is better than this transient one.” Allah (the Exalted) says:

“O you who believe! Endure and be more patient (than your enemy), and guard your territory by stationing army units permanently at the places from where the enemy can attack you, and fear Allah, so that you may be successful.” (Quran 3:200)

Khansa's children went forth to fight with determination and firmness in Faith. They were all martyred, by Allah's will. Upon hearing this news, she uttered: “All praise is for Allah, Who has honored me with their martyrdom and I hope from my Lord that he unites me with them in their final destination, under His mercy.” .

May Allah bless all mothers with Khansa's sacrificing and patient heart. Ameen.

Sahabiyaat
bah

'u must spread reputation b4 gvn it to jolie'
sorry hun.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.