/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I know its haraam but

anonymous
10-18-2008, 06:44 AM
u cant stop listening to it. music. i feel bad for listening to it but i still do. does that count as repentence? feeling bad for listening to it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
SixTen
10-18-2008, 09:47 AM
No, thats guilt.

Start listening to nasheeds instead, a lot of them are nice. Good way to replace your current habits.

The Khan
10-18-2008, 09:57 AM
SixTen, it all depends on musical preference. I used to listen to metal in the past, particularly black and death metal with growling vocals. You won't find that in Nasheeds, will you? Personally, I didn't find music, tobacco, alcohol, pot, etc, as addictive. I found other things addictive. For example, my body is allergic to gluten and casein, yet, I can't stop eating wheat and dairy products. >_<

Physical addictions are nothing. Mental addictions are the worst.

SixTen
10-18-2008, 09:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Khan
SixTen, it all depends on musical preference. I used to listen to metal in the past, particularly black and death metal with growling vocals. You won't find that in Nasheeds, will you? Personally, I didn't find music, tobacco, alcohol, pot, etc, as addictive. I found other things addictive. For example, my body is allergic to gluten and casein, yet, I can't stop eating wheat and dairy products. >_<
I won't lie brother, I don't understand how anyone can enjoy metal, black/death and all that stuff :blind:.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ayan333
10-18-2008, 10:01 AM
:sl:

Alhamdulilah..ive never really been into music

listen to nasheeds and chck this website out

http://www.abdullahrolle.com/

sounds really good

:w:

anonymous
10-18-2008, 10:29 AM
nasheeds dont get me as hyper as music does. music feels like it takes away my suffering.

maryam87
10-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Metal black death? WHAT thats insane, this music gives me a headache

Bout stopping music do it gradually thats what im trying to do and its workin
Start putting on the ipod lectures, Quran, and nasheeds.
Now when i listen to music i get a guilt feeling and turn it off alhamduallh you will look back and think to yourself how on earth did i use to listen to that crap?

Malaikah
10-18-2008, 10:49 AM

If you want to remove your suffering, you should turn to Allah, listen to/read Quran. :)

That's REAL removal, not the fake feel-good quick-fix that music offers.:thumbs_up

Uthman
10-18-2008, 10:53 AM
I was watching the National Qiraat competition on Islam Channel and one of the youngsters had a very moving recitation. I couldn't help but close my eyes while he was reciting it and wallahi it made the the life of this world seem like nothing.

Watch National Qiraat Competition on youtube, it's good. :)

Uthman
10-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Like this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=C4dVQ6z18S8

Ok I'll stop now, but it's good!

Snowflake
10-18-2008, 11:23 AM
I agree with Malaikah. Start listening to al-Quran and the joys of music will pale in comparison and in time cease to exist.

Snowflake
10-18-2008, 11:28 AM
also want to say that as a teen, my dream was to become a singer. Music was the love of my life (esp. corny hindi songs) until I betrayed it by falling in love with my beloved Qur'an. Now i can't stand music but I can't relax until I listen to al-Quran everyday. Alhumdulillah! How's that for a complete turn around?

Zahida
10-18-2008, 12:46 PM
:sl: Nasheeds are very calm and relaxing, also they help because you find yourself saying the words to them as you are listening.........

Try listening to Sami Yusuf, Mesit kurtis.......... Some of their nasheeds are quite fast

More relaxing things like Rumi............ This one is absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!!!

seeker-of-light
10-18-2008, 02:53 PM
what are nasheeds? and does piano music count as haraam too? just curious;P

Snowflake
10-18-2008, 03:54 PM
I advocate listening to al-Quran over nasheeds any day.

chacha_jalebi
10-18-2008, 04:05 PM
music needs to be treated like a drug, some people might be like waaah, but seriously some people dont really listen to music, they just need noise like when doin their work, or somethin to occupy them durin the train journeys, who really listens to music? like sits there and appreciates it lol hardly anyone, so like a drug, its just felt as if its needed!

but replace it, honestly try it, when doin your work, and you need some noise, do a lecture or even a nasheed, and if your on a train journey, quran with translation!

its hard to leave it, but honestly think of the rewards after wards, :D

transition?
10-18-2008, 06:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah

I agree with this sister.

Most of the times, the music had lyrics that didn't really make sense. And even if it did have an important message, I felt betrayed because most of these singers off stage just indulge themselves when they could be dealing with their problems in a better way. But my bigger problem with them is that even after addressing the problems, they not only follow their bad solutions to their problems, they sensationalize it to others! I know we all fall short sometimes, but that doesn't mean we just give in and contradict ourselves.
I could continue with the hypocrisy of bands and singers.
It just makes me mad because music plays on your emotions, but never offer you a solution to the REAL problems that cause the emotions. What makes these singers/band worth listening to?
Listening to music just let's you feel good, but it does not progress your intelligence any further.

On the other hand, reading the Quran, not only do you find a sense of peace even with all the emotions you carry, every time you read Quran, you're not the same person you were before, because everytime Quran offers you benefits if you look for them.
The same with prayer, every prayer can increase your iman.

The Prophet (sws) found relief and happiness through prayer. Whenever, you feel the urge to need to something, use Islam. Only in the Remembrance of Allah (swt) do hearts find peace. The hearts look for contentment through this world but even if you listened to all the music in the world, even if you were given all the wealth and gold of the world, the hearts of Adam's sons and daughters would never find peace, they will only ask for more.
Everything else only offers temporary, surface level, quick fixes.

Nájlá
10-18-2008, 06:08 PM
sis i know u could stop listening to music for sure.

i myself was addicted to music but now alhamdulillah ive stopped.

ok ok dont ask me how

i agree with chacha music needs to be treated like a drug.

transition?
10-18-2008, 06:12 PM

Sister, it's a start, for feeling bad for doing something bad as we now see so many people doing wrong without any sense of remorse. You have a heart, but it is weak, if you still continue to sin when you know it is wrong. It's a lack of self control, disobedience to your Lord, weakness of faith. Your biggest test will be at death. The Shaytan whispers to you and you listen and accept. But at the the time of death, it is the last chance the Shaytan has to tempt you. He has all his attention on you, trying to get you to listen to his whispers one more time. But right now, he is temptation is barely anything, but you are falling to it already. Sister, you're still sinning every time you listen to music. True repentance is asking for forgiveness and stopping your bad deed.

czgibson
10-18-2008, 06:17 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
who really listens to music? like sits there and appreciates it lol hardly anyone
Actually, millions of people do. Music is also often studied at universities and dedicated music schools.

Music is one of the most widespread, popular art forms ever devised by humans. In fact, a musical symbol is even present as I write on this posting page of the forum. Next time you write a post, look to the left of the smilies and below your writing: you'll see the treble clef, a curly symbol that begins most sheet music.

Peace

barney
10-18-2008, 09:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Actually, millions of people do. Music is also often studied at universities and dedicated music schools.

Music is one of the most widespread, popular art forms ever devised by humans. In fact, a musical symbol is even present as I write on this posting page of the forum. Next time you write a post, look to the left of the smilies and below your writing: you'll see the treble clef, a curly symbol that begins most sheet music.

Peace
And music is received by the brain in people who have no understanding of speech, its the last part to be destroyed in dementia. It's understood by those who are deaf and indeed composed by the deaf! By those who are autistic and those with severe learning difficulties.

Such hardwired evolution is indeed amazing. (The other alternative being that we were created with brains designed to appreciate music).

Abdul Fattah
10-18-2008, 09:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
nasheeds dont get me as hyper as music does. music feels like it takes away my suffering.
Selam aleykum;
Well that's the problem in the first place if you ask me. Music disconnects people's emotions from reality. Makes you happy when you should be sad, or sad when you should be happy, sensitive to things you should be numb to and numb to things you should be sensitive to.

What you need to understand is that it's not the music you are addicted to, but rather you are addicted to the emotions that music triggers. Certain emotions produce enzymes that respond to your body in quite a similar way as opiates do. Music simply triggers the enzymes. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with emotions, there is however something wrong with ones emotions not being in tune with reality.

Hi Barney
The other alternative being that we were created with brains designed to appreciate music
Or the other way around, music being designed to trigger certain parts of the brain...
That being said, I would like to kindly remind both Barney and cgibson that the advice section is meant for Islamic advice. Your personal viewpoints are welcome in the comparative religion section. But in here only Islamic advice please.

The Khan
10-18-2008, 10:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SixTen
I won't lie brother, I don't understand how anyone can enjoy metal, black/death and all that stuff :blind:.
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam87
Metal black death? WHAT thats insane, this music gives me a headache

Bout stopping music do it gradually thats what im trying to do and its workin
Start putting on the ipod lectures, Quran, and nasheeds.
Now when i listen to music i get a guilt feeling and turn it off alhamduallh you will look back and think to yourself how on earth did i use to listen to that crap?
I know. I still wonder what was wrong with me back then.

format_quote Originally Posted by barney
And music is received by the brain in people who have no understanding of speech, its the last part to be destroyed in dementia. It's understood by those who are deaf and indeed composed by the deaf! By those who are autistic and those with severe learning difficulties.

Such hardwired evolution is indeed amazing. (The other alternative being that we were created with brains designed to appreciate music).
Can you explain, please? I am autistic (asperger syndrome), and I don't understand what you mean. Of course, my condition is just a difficuly in social activity, rather than severe autistic cases where one can't speak a single word.

IbnAbdulHakim
10-18-2008, 10:45 PM
u cant stop listening to it. music. i feel bad for listening to it but i still do. does that count as repentence? feeling bad for listening to it?
keep trying

you aint lost until you stop trying to quit!!

BNDGR
10-19-2008, 02:02 AM
Asalam alaikum Sis,
Is there a website link that you go to to listen to the Quran? I need to follow this too and replace music with listening to Quran and lectures instead.

Take Care Sis!!:)

kwolney01
10-19-2008, 04:34 AM
I agree with the others...

You should try to limit yourself on the type of music you listen to. Try not to listen to music that talks about inappropriate topics (most of the music does). I really like Native Deen they are really good, you should check them out.

I wish you the best

Allahu Alum

ummsara1108
10-19-2008, 04:35 AM

From my understanding many imam's have differing opinion on this subject, depending who you follow, are you allowed or discouraged not to listen, however what i got from it was, not to listen to the one's with bad words, like curse words, sexual manners, ect.

Nájlá
10-19-2008, 09:29 AM
^no its haram even nasheeds with music :hmm:

BlackMamba
10-19-2008, 10:01 AM
I was never in to music i hate it it gives me a headache. You should try listening to Quran cuz you gain something as well. If u listen to a surah alot then when u sit down n read it, memorization will come much quicker cuz ur brain will be familiar with it.

Malaikah
10-19-2008, 10:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney

The rhythmic nature of the Quran beats any music, any day.

You can listen to it below... it's in Arabic so you won't understand, but you can see there is something 'musical' (for serious lack of a better word) about it. It's only 21 seconds.

Media Tags are no longer supported

It would be interesting to know if the Qurans rhythmic recitation stimulates the same part of the brain...

Faseeha
10-19-2008, 10:10 AM
and does piano music count as haraam too? just curious
The only musical instrument allowed in Islam is the Daf(tambourine), and that too only under certain circumstances.

There are quite a few nasheed artists who use musical instruments in their nasheeds, thus making it Haraam to listen to them.

innocent
10-19-2008, 11:41 AM
I still dont understand exactly why its haram. But I have reduced it a lot.
It was musical nasheeds that brought me closer to islam in the first place so I actually dont think that music literally takes you away from God.
I have started to be more careful about the lyrics I listen to though.

innocent
10-19-2008, 11:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by BNDGR
Asalam alaikum Sis,
Is there a website link that you go to to listen to the Quran? I need to follow this too and replace music with listening to Quran and lectures instead.

Take Care Sis!!:)
You can try you tube. Just type in any surah in the search and it should come up. I use that for most things.

SixTen
10-21-2008, 09:24 AM
Indeed, however the Qur'an, when it is played, must be listened to with care - that is - you can't have it being played, while your say, playing games, or as "background" so to say (as its disrespectful) - while you can with nasheed.

AvarAllahNoor
10-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Switch gradually, from the music you listen to currently to Nasheeds. Not all at once, but gradually you'll just prefer the Nasheeds to the music you desired. :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.