/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Game delayed over Quran phrases

FatimaAsSideqah
10-20-2008, 04:20 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

Sony has postponed the global release of a much-anticipated video game due to concerns that it may offend Muslims.

Copies of LittleBigPlanet are being recalled from shops worldwide after it emerged that a background music track contained two phrases from the Quran.

Sony issued an apology for any offence that its use of the backing track might have caused.

The changed version of LittleBigPlanet will now go on sale on 3 November in the UK and 29 October in the US.

Trial judge

A statement on the LittleBigPlanet website said: "We're sure that most of you have heard by now that one of the background music tracks that was licensed from a record label for use in the game contains two expressions that can be found in the Quran.

"We have taken immediate action to rectify this and we sincerely apologise for any offence this may have caused."

Speaking to the BBC LittleBigPlanet creators Media Molecule said it was alerted to the problem by a Muslim gamer who had been playing a beta, or trial, version of the game.

The music in question comes from a Grammy award winning Somalian artist and is known to have been available through online music stores for months.

In an e-mail the gamer who spotted the Quranic phrases warned that mixing music and words from Islam's most holy text could be considered deeply offensive by Muslims. He suggested producing a software patch to remove the music.

Media Molecule said it did produce a patch but, following consultation with Sony, decided to go further.

"We decided to do a global recall to ensure that there was no possible way anyone may be offended by the music in the game," said a Sony spokesman.

"A new version of the game without the music has been produced and will be released shortly so that anyone anywhere in the world can enjoy LittleBigPlanet," he added.

In June 2007, Sony apologised to the Church of England after setting scenes in a violent video game inside Manchester Cathedral. On that occasion the game was not withdrawn.

LittleBigPlanet has been described as a game about making games.

It lets gamers build their own playground levels and then swap them with other players over the PlayStation Network.

Everything that can be seen in LittleBigPlanet can also be created by gamers - from textures, characters, to objects and levels.

Manzoor Moghal, of the Muslim Forum think-tank, explained that words from the Quran should not be set to music because the words are seen to have come directly from God.

He added: "We must compliment Sony for taking decisive action by withdrawing these games immediately, and releasing a version that is not offensive to Muslims."
Source from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7679151.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mitko
10-20-2008, 04:26 PM
I read about this since i've preordered the game, I think sony is doing the right thing and handling this very well for a big corporation

brotherinfaith
10-20-2008, 04:31 PM
asalumo alaikom

as the proverb says ''dogs barke and the caravan goes on''

neither those people nor those who follow them can offend true muslims but they will keep trying as those before them tried and thank god who told us about them before we know them
''Their intention is to extinguish Allah's Light (by blowing) with their mouths: but Allah will complete (the revelation of) His Light, even though the Unbelievers may detest (it).'' as saf verse 3

aamirsaab
10-22-2008, 06:55 PM
:sl:
The actual verses used in that sound track were saying something along the lines of: ''every soul shall taste death..''

I wasn't offended at the lyric. I was perplexed as to why the artist (who is apparently muslim...yeah go figure) decided to include it.

Oh well, look forward to playing this game. When I can afford it, that is! :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.