/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Eating Etiquette in Islam

FoodBaba
10-22-2008, 07:44 AM
Asalaam Alaikum All,

I have a question for everyone regarding food etiquette. It may sound a bit strange, but I was having a discussion about it over dinner a few nights ago.

Basically, what I want to know is, according to Islam, is it wrong/bad to "double-dip" your food when eating with others? Just to be clear, by double dipping I mean, take a bite out of something, dip the part that was just in your mouth in the shared sauce container, and then take another bite. Clearly its unhealthy, but I had dinner with a few friends who didn't mind doing it. I find it disgusting. I vaguely remember reading that Islamically there was something wrong with this. I mean..there must be right? It can't be proper to eat someone else's saliva! If anyone has come across a relevant hadith or story, please share it.

Thanks,
foodbaba

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Lonely Gal
10-22-2008, 08:16 AM
I dont belive there is anything wrong with that.. depending who it is. personally I would only eat like that if its my family or close friends...

Snowflake
10-22-2008, 08:48 AM
That's a complete 'no go' zone for me but I've not heard it's forbidden or even makrooh for that matter. You'd be better off asking at: http://www.islam-qa.com/en

IbnAbdulHakim
10-22-2008, 11:02 AM
i kinda get where the bros coming from

whenever i eat with people, i MAKE SURE they turn their food around so the part they bit isnt the part they dip!

for example if its a samosa or chicken wing i'd make em rotate it at least 90 degrees before dipping, and if theres nothing but bitten parts left then get your own private dip !

i dunno i never been big on having a bit of another persons saliva n stuff on my food :-[

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Re.TiReD
10-22-2008, 11:10 AM
lol at your username.

At the question, I dont know. But general etiquette would dictate that if you're eating with somebody or in a group, you just dont do it I guess :|

Personally, if I'm at home with my siblings or parents, I really wouldnt mind. Not as though they're licking the food that I'll get their saliva on mine. They're just biting it. Same way you'd share a glass. (Or dont you do that either ;D)

FoodBaba
10-22-2008, 08:51 PM
I actually don't like sharing glasses either.. :-[ Backwash!!

In any case, thanks for the replies everyone. I'm glad I'm not alone. I think in the future I'll just use the argument that it's disgusting and spreads bacteria. (Imagine if you had a cut in your mouth and the bacteria jumped in) Ugh. :enough!:

Snowflake
10-22-2008, 09:47 PM
^we can't escape from bacteria though bro. It's even in the food we eat. But you are definitely not alone in how you feel. I don't share glasses, spoons with anyone - not even family. Towels? Never! But anyway when it comes to food you don't have to give ahuge lecture about germs. Just say, "Sorry, but i'm a bit iffy about sharing blah blah blah.." That's what I do and everyone's ok with it.

xina6143
11-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Im not really sure about that from an Islamic standpoint but going with basic etiquette I would say that isnt something that should be done and I would be disgusted by it too.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.