/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Subject of Debt?

`Yousef
10-22-2008, 06:03 PM
:sl:

If for example, one party owes the other party a certain sum of interest. If the party who is owed agrees voluntarily to reduce the payable amount, is it alright for the person to pay that sum, if ofcourse the party to be paid agrees to it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
10-22-2008, 06:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by `Yousef
:sl:

If for example, one party owes the other party a certain sum of interest. If the party who is owed agrees voluntarily to reduce the payable amount, is it alright for the person to pay that sum, if ofcourse the party to be paid agrees to it?
You should really just pay what is owed - as in, the exact amount. What you are essentially referring to, in your question, is a discount on a loan. From what I know, there's nothing wrong with it Islamically (i.e it isn't haram), as it is actually the opposite/reverse of interest. Businesswise though, it's a pretty poor move (you are giving a discount to someone who OWES YOU MONEY)

`Yousef
10-22-2008, 06:26 PM
I was talking about someone paying me, He owes me a sum of £95 but I was willing to let go of £80 because It's taking too much hassle.

aamirsaab
10-22-2008, 06:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by `Yousef
I was talking about someone paying me, He owes me a sum of £95 but I was willing to let go of £80 because It's taking too much hassle.
Erm, yeah. That'd be allowed. Though, I'd recommend you let him pay you the full amount but in installments (but that's just my opinion).

Islamically speaking, there is nothing against you giving him 15 quid off (or any amount for that matter). If anything, it's count as an act of mercy - you're reducing the debt!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.