/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Translations?

INsearch
10-23-2008, 04:02 PM
As a person living in a very strong Christian house hold I am used to "translations" like NKJV/ NSV blah blah blah but translations for the Qur'an confuse me I am now faced with things like this

"The Holy Quran

English translation by Abdullah Yusuf Ali

Urdu translation by Maulana Fateh Jallendheri"

uhhh what?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
10-23-2008, 04:23 PM
It may benefit you to know that the Qur'an doesn't have any versions. Qur'an is version 1.0 and that's it.

The names 'Abdullah Yusuf Ali' and others are just names of the people who have made translations of the Qur'an. Thats all it means.

INsearch
10-23-2008, 04:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
It may benefit you to know that the Qur'an doesn't have any versions. Qur'an is version 1.0 and that's it.

The names 'Abdullah Yusuf Ali' and others are just names of the people who have made translations of the Qur'an. Thats all it means.
But with all translators their will be someone who does not do so well. How do you tell which translations of the Qur'an is best and most accurate?

crayon
10-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Any translation from any language is essentially the translator's interpretation of the original text, so minor differences are bound to occur. This is why only the Arabic Quran is considered the true holy book, translations are there merely for non arabic speakers to get an idea of what the verses mean.

2 reliable translators are Yusuf Ali and Pickthall.
YusufAli can be found here-http://www.islam101.com/quran/yusufAli/
Pickthall here-http://www.islam101.com/quran/QTP/index.htm

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AnonymousPoster
10-23-2008, 05:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by INsearch
But with all translators their will be someone who does not do so well. How do you tell which translations of the Qur'an is best and most accurate?
Learning the language of The Qur'an would be the best way!

failing that read biographies of translators to find out whether they were born Muslims and experts in Qur'anic Arabic and language of translation or not.

then you have to find out whether they are Muslim, ahmadi, sufi, bekhtashi, saudi, shia or some other variant (each of them will see things differently than the other)

UmmSqueakster
10-23-2008, 07:09 PM
There isn't a single translation of the Qur'an that is 100% accurate. The arabic language is increadibly rich, and no matter what the translator choses, some meaning is still lost.

That's why when I'm seriously studying the Qur'an, I read from multiple translations.

Let's take for example 113:4

Shakir - And from the evil of those who blow on knots,
Pickthall - And from the evil of malignant witchcraft,
Asad - and from the evil of all human beings bent on occult endeavours.

The arabic literally translates as "blow on knots," but to someone who's not familiar with arabic turns of phrases, they're confused. Blowing on knots. What the heck does that mean? :enough!:

So while Shakir translates it literally, Pickthall, Muhammad Asad and several others chose to translate the meaning. But even though the meaning is clear in those translations, we're missing the original phrase that Allah (swt) chose to reveal in the Qur'an.

What I'd love to see if a translation that does one of two things:

1. Translates the arabic phrases literally, and then explains the meanings in the footnotes
2. Translates the meaning of the arabic, and then explain it's literal translation in footnotes.

So, what do I read? I have more than a dozen english translations of the Qur'an. If I'm just reading for the sake of reading, I'll chose the saheeh international version, or the Bewley Translation because the english is plain, clear and easy to read in both(a lot of translators use "old english" style, which can be distracting to me).

When I'm doing study, I'll lay all of these out on the table, read through the same section in each, study, compare, and really try to grasp it in it's entrity:

• Saheeh International
  • Bewley translation
  • Muhammad Asad - excellent footnotes, although there are some problems in them
  • Thomas Cleary - translates things quite differently from the norm.
  • Shakir - the first Qur'an I ever got. He tends to translate things more literally

IbnAbdulHakim
10-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Hey there INsearch :)

http://www.altafsir.com/

^ that site contains interpretations of the Quran according to the understanding of the past scholars. I have referred to Tafsir Al-Jalalayn many many times, its very clear and explains the Quran as Allaah intended it for those less well versed in Arabic!

If only we knew arabic, we would understand it more clearly..

INsearch
10-23-2008, 07:58 PM
thank you :) I wonder if their are any sites that offer free Qur'an ? of course it would be better for me to go to a store and buy it but.... meh.

IbnAbdulHakim
10-23-2008, 08:00 PM
^ lol im sure there are! because my bro got some :D , sorry dont know which ones though :-[

INsearch
10-23-2008, 08:05 PM
:) I guess I will give a quick explanation right here why I always inquire into free stuff :) I am 17, and dont have money :) and I am blessed with wonderful parents :) but only one problem I have. My whole family (brothers, sister, mom, dad,) are super, super, super, super fundamental Christians! I am talking about strict! they got made at me for looking into Catholicism a while back O.o so I got to do this whole Islam very silently or else.... well lets say home life for me will not be happy :(

IbnAbdulHakim
10-23-2008, 08:09 PM
^ wow!! i know someone else in your EXACT same situation! infact his waiting to leave home just to become muslim. Once his parents found some islamic material in his house and he had to say that its from his "R.E" classes lol, his such a top man :D !

Look what i found :D:

http://www.freequran.com/html/order.htm

^ if for whatever reason this doesnt work out let me know, i'll personally buy one and have it sent to your house :)

every true believer goes through hard trials after islam... one companions mother practically disowned him, another got tortured by family, another lost all wealth, i mean even in this day and age i know people who have been chased out of homes, humiliated etc... everyone has their challenges.. its what they do to get nearer to God and far from evil... for paradise..

INsearch
10-23-2008, 08:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mz
^ wow!! i know someone else in your EXACT same situation! infact his waiting to leave home just to become muslim. Once his parents found some islamic material in his house and he had to say that its from his "R.E" classes lol, his such a top man :D !

Look what i found :D:

http://www.freequran.com/html/order.htm

^ if for whatever reason this doesnt work out let me know, i'll personally buy one and have it sent to your house :)

every true believer goes through hard trials after islam... one companions mother practically disowned him, another got tortured by family, another lost all wealth, i mean even in this day and age i know people who have been chased out of homes, humiliated etc... everyone has their challenges.. its what they do to get nearer to God and far from evil... for paradise..
:eek: Thank you very much:D

UmmSqueakster
10-23-2008, 08:16 PM
I could send you a copy of the Qur'an, if you'd like. Of course, your parents may wonder why you're getting all these packages, so be prepared with an answer. I know what it's like to deal with cranky parents - my 'rents are more on the liberal side of things theologically, but they freaked about islam - and I was 21 and moved out of the house!

Another place to look at - http://www.explorethequran.org/ - where you only have the pay shipping. If you can't pay, I'd say email them and ask if they'd waive the fee. And ask them to send it in an unmarked package ;-)

Hamayun
10-23-2008, 08:30 PM
:) I guess I will give a quick explanation right here why I always inquire into free stuff :) I am 17, and dont have money :) and I am blessed with wonderful parents :) but only one problem I have. My whole family (brothers, sister, mom, dad,) are super, super, super, super fundamental Christians! I am talking about strict! they got made at me for looking into Catholicism a while back O.o so I got to do this whole Islam very silently or else.... well lets say home life for me will not be happy :(
Ohhh Brother... imsad

If only you were in England I would personally bring you a copy.

If you don't find one please let me know and I will try to send you one. I will do what I can to help a Brother who genuinely wants to know about Islam.

May Allah bless you for turning to him at such a young age. I wish I had the same willingness at your age.

Peace my Brother :thankyou:

P.S. I really like the Picthall translation. Yusuf Ali is really good too.

INsearch
10-23-2008, 08:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun
Ohhh Brother... imsad

If only you were in England I would personally bring you a copy.

If you don't find one please let me know and I will try to send you one. I will do what I can to help a Brother who genuinely wants to know about Islam.

May Allah bless you for turning to him at such a young age. I wish I had the same willingness at your age.

Peace my Brother :thankyou:

P.S. I really like the Picthall translation. Yusuf Ali is really good too.
Thank you :) I am going to be trying really hard to find one :) at least for now I have the online version :)

AnonymousPoster
10-23-2008, 08:50 PM
:eek: Thank you very much:D
If they don't send you one, then say so in this thread, my sister likes to send out Qurans to random strangers. :thumbs_up

INsearch
10-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Ha! your sister sends Qur'ans to random people!! thats awesome!

AnonymousPoster
10-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Ha! your sister sends Qur'ans to random people!! thats awesome!
Well they ask her for them, Qurans can be expensive. Especially to the places she gave them out. It's weird how total strangers over forums can ask you for one, Islam has grown so much, I wish all my freinds become Muslims! I have many Non-Muslim friends but I can honestly only remember her once giving it out to someone in the UK. The rest were all over, subhanAllaah!

IbnAbdulHakim
10-23-2008, 10:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
Well they ask her for them, Qurans can be expensive. Especially to the places she gave them out. It's weird how total strangers over forums can ask you for one, Islam has grown so much, I wish all my freinds become Muslims! I have many Non-Muslim friends but I can honestly only remember her once giving it out to someone in the UK. The rest were all over, subhanAllaah!
WAT?

i got dibbs on it first!

if INsearch cant find a Quran im sending it !

INsearch
10-25-2008, 08:27 PM
I am going to be printing out a few pages of the Qur'an to carry along with me :) would it be wrong to fold it up and put it in my pocket? (I am still working on figuring out how to order a free Qur'an without getting in trouble)

The Khan
10-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Brother INsearch, I have a pocket Qur'an with me if you're interested, i'll send it to you if you want. It doesn't have a translation though. :(

I would suggest you get a translation by Abdullah Yusuf Ali. He puts citations for most ayas below each page, explaining everything properly, as Qur'anic Arabic can't be properly translated in one sentence. It's like this, you can't explain the word "samsara" in one line. You need at least a whole page. Similarily, you can't explain one aya in one paragraph of the same length.

Until then, I would suggest you download some recitations and put it in your ipod or mp3 player, or even your mobile. :)

INsearch
10-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Yeah I am working on getting a translation :) naaa thats ok :) you can keep the pocket Qur'an as it will do you more good than me :)

The Khan
10-25-2008, 09:58 PM
I don't need it brother, I don't get the time to read the noble Qur'an when I leave my home. I'll send it to you as soon as I recover from my sickness, inshallah. :)

Have you begun to learn to read Arabic?

INsearch
10-25-2008, 10:11 PM
wow I dont know where to start to learn arabic :( are their any sites you could recomend?

The Khan
10-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Here you go akhee, I hope these will be helpful:

http://www.learnquran.ca/

http://www.help-for-the-convert.net/

For a software Qur'an, I would recommend Zekr - http://www.zekr.org/

The recitation I would recommend is the one by al-Ghamadi. :)

INsearch
10-25-2008, 10:44 PM
Thank you brother :)

Faseeha
10-26-2008, 06:04 PM
would it be wrong to fold it up and put it in my pocket?
The Quran needs to be treated with utmost respect, it should not be held or read without being in a state of whudhu, nor should it be left lying around just anywhere

INsearch
10-26-2008, 06:06 PM
So that would include it just printed in a piece of paper? if so then..... I have just committed Haraam :(

The Khan
10-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Not necessarily. It's good to read the Qur'an while in wudhu, but not compulsory. How you treat it with respect is up to you. I mean, stamping on it is obviously disrespect...but that doesn't mean you should hold it with gloves. ^^;

I've been searching on hadith on wudhu before reading the Qur'an, but haven't found one in the "Sahih" compilations.

Brother INsearch, I would seriously suggest a pocket Qur'an...and keep it in a pocket in your jacket, not jeans/trousers. :)

Hamayun
10-26-2008, 10:40 PM
Like Brother Khan said. It is not compulsary to be in a state of Wudhu according to the Scholars.

I have seen Quran's being handed out to Non-Muslims who are not in a state of wudhu obviously.

You can do wudhu out of respect but it is not compulsory. Just treat it with respect.

Stay strong brother. I love your enthusiasm. Keep it up :)

MazharShafiq
06-17-2017, 07:13 AM
you can learn translation Quran reading and other Islamic courses online here http://learnquranweb.com/

MazharShafiq
06-17-2017, 07:14 AM
http://learnquranweb.com/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.