/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Laser eye treatment

Kas1m
10-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Salam all
I was watching this dvd program in which the guy decides to go for laser eye treatment and he gets it done and the next day he is walking like nothing happened.
Laser eye treatment always scared the hell out of me and i know we are talking money here but i also hear its a 50 50 chance and its very risky too.
Just want to know has anyone had this treatment or know about it. Please share

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
truemuslim
10-23-2008, 06:00 PM
i think theyr crap

1. they wayyyyyyyy too expensive!
2. along with expensive, the doctors dont even need the bigger qualification!
3. while tryna repair ur vision, u can lose it all!
4. i forget wher i read wher it said u would damage ur vision partially, like sometimes the nighttime vision u would see "halo"s nd flashes nd all.
5. NOBODY TELLS U THE RISKS! they try nd keep it like a doctor secret jus so they can get money.

theres still like fity other reasons why laser surgery aint good

Güven
10-23-2008, 06:04 PM
naah they control you to see if you are compatible or not many are "disqualified" to take the surgery.. but if you are compatible..
you have a great chance to heal your eyesight.
if you go to a good one that is :)

:w:

Ali.
10-23-2008, 06:19 PM
I asked my optician guy and he said it's OK, but it is fairly new and as you said there are risks involved. Personally, I wouldn't go for it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Güven
10-23-2008, 06:22 PM
if you go to the best one ..instead of searching for the cheapiest
then you have more chance to succeed InshaAllah!

truemuslim
10-23-2008, 06:22 PM
cant trust any of them tho. because they rarely ever tell u the risks

afzalaung
10-23-2008, 06:25 PM
since laser treatment's relatively new, i wont go for it.we cant be too sure whats the long term effect.
let those who've done it serve as 'human guinea pigs'...for the better of mankind.

Ali.
cant trust any of them tho. because they rarely ever tell u the risks
Well what risk do you expect them to tell you, you might jump up and down unconciously for 15 consecutive days uncontrollably if it doesn't go to plan?

There is one major obvious risk, and a few minor ones I think.

Güven
WHAT risks? you only got a chance to not succeed or make it worser or lose it all or just succeed , my niece did an surgery and she got NO complaints at all :)

truemuslim
10-23-2008, 06:31 PM
are u kiddin me?
hwo do ask wat risks are in LASER SURGERY, the NEW surgery, wher the DOCTORS dont even have to be specially qualified for it??

Ali.
10-23-2008, 06:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
wher the DOCTORS dont even have to be specially qualified for it??
Ofcourse they must get training of some sort. Where do you get your info' from?

"Hello, I'm Dr. Hello and I'm here to do your laser eye surgery for you."
"Oh, splendid! Let's get started then."
"Ok. Don't worry, this is the first time I've seen one of these machines, but don't panic!"

truemuslim
10-23-2008, 06:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.
Ofcourse they must get training of some sort. Where do you get your info' from?

"Hello, I'm Dr. Hello and I'm here to do your laser eye surgery for you."
"Oh, splendid! Let's get started then."
"Ok. Don't worry, this is the first time I've seen one of these machines, but don't panic!"
Yeh but its not complete. they do get trained but the level they gotta reach to become a doctor in laser surgery isn't at all high/hard to get.
I get my info from...my brain. news. internet. more new. newspapers. health sites. etc...oh yeh nd my science class :D

last part......em..:?

Güven
10-23-2008, 06:41 PM
here is your risks

Risks

* Over- or under-treatment of the condition may occur, requiring additional surgery, contact lens, or glasses.
* Reading glasses may still be needed after surgery.
* Some patients, although they may see much better than before LASIK without glasses, will still need glasses for their best vision.
* Problems with night driving or visual symptoms, such as glare and haloes.
* Problems with a decrease in contrast sensitivity, and even with 20/20 vision, objects may appear fuzzy or gray.
* Corneal infection.
* Corneal scarring, permanent warping of the cornea and an inability to wear contact lenses.
* A loss of vision -- not seeing as well after surgery, even with glasses or contacts as before the surgery.
* Permanent vision loss.
* Flap complications.
* Light sensitivity.
* Dryness.
* Scratchiness.
* Patches of red or pink in the white of the eye.
* Decreased distance vision at high altitudes.

Güven
10-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Why the Procedure Is Performed

LASIK is done most often on people who use glasses or contact lenses because of myopia (nearsightedness). It is occasionally used to correct farsightedness. It may also correct astigmatism.

The FDA has approved the Excimer Laser to correct nearsightedness up to -12.00D with -4.00D of astigmatism, and farsightedness from +1.00 to +6.00 with 1.00D of astigmatism. (Diopter, symbol D, is the measurement of the refractive error. A negative D value indicates nearsightedness and a positive D value indicates farsightedness.)

The FDA, in cooperation with the American Academy of Ophthalmology, has developed the following guidelines and recommendations for good candidates for LASIK:

* You should be at least 18 years old (21 for some lasers), since the vision of people younger than 18 usually continues to change. An exception is the small child with one very nearsighted and one normal eye. The use of LASIK to correct the very nearsighted eye may prevent amblyopia (lazy eye).
* You should not be pregnant or nursing because these conditions might change the measured refraction of the eye.
* You should not be taking certain prescription drugs, such as Accutane or oral prednisone.
* Your eyes must be healthy and your prescription stable. If you're myopic, you should postpone LASIK until your refraction has stabilized, because myopia may continue to increase in some patients until their mid to late 20s.
* You should be in good general health. LASIK may not be recommended for patients with diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, glaucoma, herpes infections of the eye, or cataracts. You should discuss this with your surgeon.
* Weigh the risks and rewards. If you're happy wearing contacts or glasses, you may want to forego the surgery.
* Understand your expectations from the surgery. Are they realistic?
* For patients with presbyopia, LASIK cannot correct so that one eye can see at BOTH distance and near. However, LASIK can be used to correct one eye for distance and the other for near. If you can adjust to this correction, it may eliminate or reduce your need for reading glasses. In some instances, surgery on only one eye is required. If your doctor thinks you're a candidate, ask about the pros and cons.

Güven
10-23-2008, 06:42 PM
Description

A complete eye examination will be done before surgery to make sure your eyes are healthy. Once this is determined, the doctor will measure the curve of the cornea and the size and position of the pupils, the shape of the eyes (making sure there are no irregularities that would prevent LASIK as an option), and the thickness of the cornea (making sure there will be enough tissue left, once the cornea is cut and reshaped).

A signed informed consent form is needed before the procedure, confirming knowledge of the risks, benefits, alternative options, and possible complications.

LASIK is an outpatient surgical procedure and will take 10 to 15 minutes for each eye.

The only anesthetic used is an eye drop that numbs the surface of the eye. The procedure is done with the person awake. LASIK may be done on one or both eyes during the same session.

During LASIK, a special knife (a microkeratome) is used to cut a hinged flap of corneal tissue off the outer layer of the eyeball. The flap is lifted out of the way and a special laser is used to reshape the underlying corneal tissue.

The calculation for how much tissue is removed by the laser is done ahead of time. Once the reshaping is done, the surgeon replaces and secures the flap. No stitches are needed. An eye shield or patch will be placed over the eye to protect the flap and to help prevent rubbing or pressure on the eye until it has had enough time to heal.

Güven
10-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Recovery

* It may take up to 3-6 months for vision to stabilize after surgery.
* The most common complaints after LASIK are glare, haloes, and difficulty with night driving. Often, these problems will go away after 6 months, but a small percentage of people continue to complain about glare.
* Sometimes additional surgery may be needed in order to get the best possible vision. These re-operations may be called "enhancement surgery." Generally, while the distance vision may improve with enhancement surgery, other visual symptoms such as glare or haloes may not.
* The Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) reports that of approximately 500,000 Americans who had LASIK surgery in 1999, 70% had 20/20 vision after surgery.
* If your distance vision has been corrected with LASIK, it is likely that you may still need reading glasses around age 45.
* The long-term effects of LASIK past 5 years after the surgery are yet to be determined.

Güven
10-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Outlook (Prognosis)

Immediately following the surgery, there may be a sense of burning, itching, or a feeling that something is in the eye. There may be mild discomfort for which the doctor may prescribe a mild pain reliever medication. It is very important NOT to rub the eye after LASIK, so that the flap does not dislodge or move.

The day of surgery, vision generally is blurry or hazy but by the next day the blurriness improves. The doctor should be called immediately if there is severe pain or any of the symptoms worsen BEFORE your scheduled follow-up appointment (24-48 hours after surgery).

At the first doctor visit after the surgery, the eye shield will be removed and the doctor will examine your eye and test your vision. You may receive eye drops to help prevent infection. Do not drive until your vision has improved enough to safely do so.

Other things to avoid include swimming, hot tubs, whirlpools, contact sports, lotions, cremes, and eye make-up for between 2-4 weeks after surgery. The doctor will give you specific instructions.

afzalaung
10-23-2008, 06:45 PM
i can imagine a worst case scenario..where the doctor doze off during the surgery and aims the laser towards other parts of the face, totally disfiguring the patient.

but..i guess its more of a scifi then real

S_87
10-23-2008, 08:47 PM
with every treatment theres a risk :? i havent done laser eye treatment but would consider it for the future, im using laser treatment for something else though and there are risks but Alhumdulillah so far so good

Kas1m
10-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Thanks for replies. I thought that too. Once you done it there is no turning back too. Im sticking with contacts. My vision is like minus 4 or something.

Güven
10-23-2008, 11:04 PM
aaah at minus four its not a good idea to take that surgery and take that risks IMO :X

Yanal
10-23-2008, 11:12 PM
Even if you get a eye surgery done you will have to lose your eyesights, or weakened because thats the way Allah created us.

Kas1m
10-23-2008, 11:19 PM
I know. Its just a person i know got a treatment and he is just fine

Trumble
10-23-2008, 11:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kasim
Laser eye treatment always scared the hell out of me and i know we are talking money here but i also hear its a 50 50 chance and its very risky too. Just want to know has anyone had this treatment or know about it. Please share
I researched it some time ago and decided against having come to the conclusion that, in my case anyway, it was just a vanity thing and hence not worth the risks (which aren't that bad, these days). I no longer wear contacts for exactly the same reason.

I think it depends on what your reasons are; neither spectacles or contact lenses are that good for contact sports, for example, and laser correction might be the right choice if you are into rugby or martial arts, etc.

S_87
10-24-2008, 12:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kasim
Thanks for replies. I thought that too. Once you done it there is no turning back too. Im sticking with contacts. My vision is like minus 4 or something.
SubhanAllah -4 ...you probably cant see anything without glasses then right :?

Re.TiReD
10-24-2008, 12:37 PM
^ mine is worse

I want it butmy dad wont let me.

Lasik and Laser is diff no?

AmarFaisal
10-24-2008, 01:00 PM
In Kuwait, I know abt 10-15 ppl around me who got it done. 100% are satisfied with just like 10% having eye allergies from dust n humind weather. Some who were warned that their eye sight has not been regular since the past few years n should wait for it, did not recover 100% eye sight. They still have a number like .5 or .25.

But most are extremely satisfied. I know some ppl who had eye sight of about -6 and the girls said they couldn't see their husbands in the morning without wearing glasses. They r **** happy of getting it done.

And if ur worried abt this that they don't tell all the side effects, doctors always give u a nearly 10-15 page review of it. This includes all the side effects, including the fact, that u might loose ur eye sight.

Why I didn't get it done? My brother wouldn't let me. He had one argument, " If this surgery is so successful, why don't the doctors get it done for themselves?"

A big question and probably the answers r it is relativly new and we still can wait for some time before we get the answer.

And yes, one of my really old aunts got it done. She is nearly 80 yrs old. But she had headaches complain. However, she has been extremely happy to have an eye sight of 6/6 at that age. I don't know if she has recovered from the headaches but we should remember that she is really old.

Lonely Gal
10-24-2008, 01:22 PM
my bro, best friend and her sister have this done. all been good with them. I want mines done but gta wait till sight is settled, plus dad dont agree with it ..

SixTen
10-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Just youtube LASIK, and watch a few of the procedures. You will be put off life from doing it ^^.

Kas1m
10-24-2008, 02:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
Yeah i cant see. All blurry. Its in my family. My dad is minus 9

Güven
10-24-2008, 03:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

-4 is bad???

my RIGHT eye is -7 and left is normal subhanAllah :)

Leyla73
10-24-2008, 05:11 PM
Well, I read in a medical magazin, and it said that it is not dangerous AT ALL, and that the next day you can't see anything, but after that, you see well without your glasses! =)
It also said that your don't feel no pain ;)

Danah
10-26-2008, 05:13 PM
its not that bad guys.....
I did it last year and it went soo perfect alhumdulilah
they told me that I will feel dryness in my eyes so I have to keep using an artificial tear drops
but its not that scary at all.....I was soo scared before entering the surgery room....but it was just 20 minutes or less...you dont feel any pain at all

Güven
10-26-2008, 05:16 PM
SubhanAllah, What number did your eyes had ? is it hard to keep your eyes open while surgery? :ooh:

Danah
10-26-2008, 05:20 PM
its -2.75

they are putting some tool inside to hold your eye so you will keep your eye open without you feel it
also, they put some drop to widen your cornea so it will be more clear to the doctor

Güven
10-26-2008, 05:22 PM
so it was -2,75 before you took the surgery ?

Danah
10-26-2008, 05:27 PM
yeah....and now its 6/6......oh not now but the last time I checked it

Kas1m
10-26-2008, 06:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SAYA
yeah....and now its 6/6......oh not now but the last time I checked it
So is your eyesight maintained or is it dropping again?

Danah
10-26-2008, 06:51 PM
I did not cheacked recently...but I dont feel like its drop

Kas1m
10-26-2008, 06:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SAYA
I did not cheacked recently...but I dont feel like its drop
Ok but still i think i should stick with my contacts

Danah
10-26-2008, 07:19 PM
you must have very bad stories about lasic treatment guys

before I did the operation, they told me that there is a very weak possibility after few years that my vision might returned back to what it was before the operation but not worse.....if that happened I will have to go back to the same hospital and did a complementary free operation again

Leyla73
10-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Well, you're only allowed to do that operation when you're 18 or more, which means, when your eyes stop "changing". I mean when your eyes won't get any worse anymore, and it'll stay like that forever.. Get it? lol
Caus eif you do the operation and they get worse and you do it again.. Well that sucks a little =P

Kas1m
07-18-2011, 12:10 AM
Asslam u Alaikum

Well I got laser eye treatment done from Lahore couple of months ago and now after two months I feel my left eye sight is decreasing but my right one is OK. So Allah knows best.

I wasn't really bothered about it but as family (mainly wife) insisted so I had it done. The first five days were difficult after laser especially the first night was painful. I haven't gone to my opticians here but if I feel like I'm having difficulty seeing then InshAllah I will go and back on contacts again :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.