/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Creation of the World?

INsearch
10-24-2008, 03:00 PM
What is are view on this? is it the way the Old Testament in the book of Genesis explains it? Does Islam in general reject the idea of Evolution? How old do we generally think the earth is?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
SixTen
10-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Its not 6000-9000 years old. It was created in six days, though it is seen as 6 periods (so the 6 days isn't seen as literal). Evolution - you will have the same differing opinion as you probably have seen from the christians, some say its compatible, others not, others half of it is but other half is not. Muslims readily accept a 4.5 billion year old Earth, and the big bang theory, generally.

INsearch
10-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Why would they readily accept the big bang theory? (yes this is discussed among Christians allot) I mean if Allah says he created it in 6 days.... why assume otherwise?

doorster
10-24-2008, 03:25 PM
Q: According to the Qur'an, in how many days were the Earth and Heavens created?

A: "Allah Almighty is the Sole Creator of the universe including Heavens and Earth. According to the commentators of the Qur’an, both the Heavens and Earth were created in six days. But the creation in six days is not according to our calculations (i.e. 6 X 24 hours); the exact length of creation here is known to Almighty Allah alone".

> A Brief Illustrated Guide To Islaam <

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
- Qatada -
10-24-2008, 03:26 PM
:salamext:

this might be useful insha Allah :)

http://idawah.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6
http://ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184882

Ali_Cena
10-24-2008, 03:28 PM
:sl:
LOL muslims dont belive in the Big Bang Theory of how the world came into existance we belive that it is how it came about, as we know that in the Qur'an Allah Almighty states that the universe is expanding, and that "we clove them asunder" meaning that Allah sperated the heavens and the earths, and expanding it. conclusion we belive that the univser is expanding; which is really big bang theory, as the big bang theory states the universe is expanding.

Big Bang Theory on how the univser is expanding is compatible with the Qur'an sister, and mashallah that he done the Shahada mashallah sister and welcome to Islam, and the website is really good for muslims as thier is a lot of knowledge of islam in this website.

:):thumbs_up

SixTen
10-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Despite Ali Cena's comment, I am not convinced the Qur'an talks about the big bang. If you read about the big bang, and compare it to the tafsirs of the Qur'an they dont match. Anyway, the Earth didn't exist, till 11 billion years after the big bang, so how this seperation of heaven and Earth can be considered as big bang - is unknown. It is rather psuedo science, bought up (originating from the Saudi region), to promote dawah - even though it has no facts to it. Saudi's have been known to create lies too and pay off some people for their dawah - which is quite shameful imho. In the end, it is all anti-dawah, to use such modern theories of the Qur'an. People need to stop extracting modern interpretations of the Qur'an, stick to the ones which were handed down over a 1000 years ago.

doorster
10-24-2008, 05:11 PM
thread should close to avoid more (descent from) monkey business [pun intended]

Hamayun
10-24-2008, 05:14 PM
If you think about it..

A day is 24 hours to us due to the earth revolving around the sun.

But before the Earth or Solar System existed how would you measure a day? :D

The Quran says it was created in 6 intervals of time. The length of which is only known to Allah.

SixTen
10-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Here is a tafsir of verse 7:54, in regards to the creation;

Surely your Lord is God, Who created the heavens and the earth in six days, of the days of this world, that is to say, in the equivalent thereof, since there was no sun then. Had He willed He could have created them in an instant; but the reason for His not having done so is that He wanted to teach His creatures to be circumspect; then presided upon the Throne, a presiding befitting of Him (al-‘arsh, ‘throne’, in the [classical] language is the elevated seat on which a king sits). He cloaks (read yughshī or yughashshī) the night with the day, that is, He covers each one with the other: each following the other in swift pursuit — and the sun and the moon and the stars (if all of these are read in the accusative, then they constitute a supplement to al-samāwāt, ‘the heavens’, and if in the nominative, then they constitute the subject of the sentence, the predicate of which follows) have been made subservient, [have been] subdued, by His command, by His power. Verily, His is, all, creation and the command, in its entirety. Blessed, Magnified, be God, the Lord, the Master, of the Worlds!

SixTen
10-24-2008, 05:19 PM
Heres, Ibn Abbas' tafsir on it

(Lo! your Lord is Allah Who created the heavens and the earth in six Days) of the beginning of the life of this world, each day the equivalent of a thousand years, (then mounted He the Throne) then He proceeded to create the Throne; it is also said that this means: He seated Himself on the Throne. (He covereth the night with the day) and the day with the night, (which is in haste to follow it) i.e. the day is in haste to follow the night and the night is in haste to follow the day, (and hath made the sun and the moon and the stars subservient by His command) by His leave. (His verily is all creation) the creation of the heavens and the earth (and commandment) i.e. the judgement of people on the Day of Judgement (Blessed be Allah) the Possessor of grace; it is also said that this means: elevated is Allah; as it is said that this means: far exalted is Allah, (the Lord of the Worlds!) the Master and Disposer of the Worlds.
Bolded, the interesting part.

Yanal
10-24-2008, 05:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by INsearch
What is are view on this? is it the way the Old Testament in the book of Genesis explains it? Does Islam in general reject the idea of Evolution? How old do we generally think the earth is?
:w:
If you think when it was created people estimate 4.5 billion Years ago.

Hamayun
10-24-2008, 05:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SixTen
Heres, Ibn Abbas' tafsir on it

Bolded, the interesting part.
SixTen do you speak Arabic? Even though you are an Agnostic you seem to claim that you understand more about the Quran than many Arabic speaking scholars.

The verses that mention "six days" use the Arabic word "youm" (day). This word appears several other times in the Qur'an, each denoting a different measurement of time. In one case, the measure of a day is equated with 50,000 years (70:4), whereas another verse states that "a day in the sight of your Lord is like 1,000 years of your reckoning" (22:47). The word "youm" is thus understood, within the Qur'an, to be a long period of time -- an era or eon. Therefore, Muslims interpret the description of a "six day" creation as six distinct periods or eons. The length of these periods is not precisely defined, nor are the specific developments that took place during each period.

SixTen
10-24-2008, 05:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun
SixTen do you speak Arabic? Even though you are an Agnostic you seem to claim that you understand more about the Quran than many Arabic speaking scholars.
Agnostic? Hmm where did you get that from brother.

Hamayun
10-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Agnostic? Hmm where did you get that from brother.
Your "Way of life" below the avatar is a dead give away.

Also all your posts about your belief in Human's evolving from a common ancestor with apes, your recent post on the Creation of the world where you are attempting to find a contradiction in the Quran.

You certainly don't sound like a Muslim. Could belong to another faith though.. but that is how you come across.

Peace Bro..

SixTen
10-24-2008, 05:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun
Your "Way of life" below the avatar is a dead give away.

Also all your posts about your belief in Human's evolving from a common ancestor with apes, your recent post on the Creation of the world where you are attempting to find a contradiction in the Quran.

You certainly don't sound like a Muslim. Could belong to another faith though.. but that is how you come across.

Peace Bro..
Undisclosed =/= agnostic

Also, their was no looking for contradiction on the Qur'an, I was just stating some tafsir - which are still ambigious to me - so I obviously cannot hold it to be of contradictive nature. I however, do value authentic tafsir from among the salaaf - on the Qur'an, rather than modern people, who do speculative tafsir.

barney
10-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Hmm...registering undisclosed now.
I must admit I thought 6-10 was an Aggy.

SixTen
10-24-2008, 06:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Hmm...registering undisclosed now.
I must admit I thought 6-10 was an Aggy.
Undisclosed, gives you that - "unbiased", non-propaganda status in debates :) - I know too well people can judge your post just by seeing "Way of life", rather than the actual content.

doorster
10-24-2008, 06:14 PM
there can be no comparison between Salaf, the 4 Imams , Scholars from distant past and a Scholar of today.

unlike in shiaism none of our Imams and tafsir writers were infallible, they made decisions and wrote commentaries based on what little information they had, whereas today's scholar can draw upon all the knowledge that was written down over the past 1400+years

if that is incorrect how do you explain discovery of around 4000 weak and/or fabricated Ahadees (which may or may not have been used by past scholars to arrive at their decisions) by Shaikh ul Hadees Al Albaani?

there are lots of examples but those will have to wait until someone from staff starts to take charge of this thread

SixTen
10-24-2008, 06:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
there can be no comparison between Salaf, the 4 Imams , Scholars from distant past and a Scholar of today.

unlike in shiaism none of our Imams and tafsir writers were infallible, they made decisions and wrote commentaries based on what little information they had, whereas today's scholar can draw upon all the knowledge that was written down over the past 1400+years

if that is incorrect how do you explain discovery of around 4000 weak and/or fabricated Ahadees (which may or may not have been used by past scholars to arrive at their decisions) by Shaikh ul Hadees Al Albaani?

there are lots of examples but those will have to wait until someone from staff starts to take charge of this thread
Most people, don't take Albaani as authorative (I personally don't have any associaton of his work, infact, I am in strong disagreement with his works).

Also, it is true, they wern't infallible scholars, but they were definatly more qualified and had greate imaan, then say, Zakir Naikh, or Harun Yahya - I mean, of them, I would definately not take the tafsir of the latter, on Qur'an, if you know what I am saying.

doorster
10-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Most people, don't take Albaani as authorative (I personally don't have any associaton of his work, infact, I am in strong disagreement with his works).

Also, it is true, they wern't infallible scholars, but they were definatly more qualified and had greate imaan, then say, Zakir Naikh, or Harun Yahya - I mean, of them, I would definately not take the tafsir of the latter, on Qur'an, if you know what I am saying.
Bashing our scholars does not lend credibility to your original assertion of "descent is possible" I am thoroughly sick and tired of this "Islamic" site repeatedly allowing you to have pretensions of being better than Shaikh al Albani, Dr. Naik et al

SixTen
10-24-2008, 06:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
Bashing our scholar does not lend credibility to youur original assertion of "descent is possible" I am thoroughly sick and tired of this "Islamic" site repeatedly allowing you to have pretensions of being better than Shaikh al Albani, Dr. Naik et al
What Islamic site? I don't have to compete against people like Albani, I just follow scholars/salaaf who are superior than them by fact.

INsearch
10-24-2008, 06:42 PM
sigh I suppose the thread has been derailed.... I did not mean to create arguments such as this.... I would prefer this thread closed than brothers and sisters get at eachothers throats like this :(

Ali_Cena
10-31-2008, 12:21 PM
lol brother sixten is a muslim he changed his way of life to muslim, i thought he was aggy aswell lol. mashallah

SixTen
10-31-2008, 12:26 PM
SixTen, btw is, to represent the year 610 AD, in which it is believed that Muhammad (saw) had his first revelation.

AntiKarateKid
10-31-2008, 12:45 PM
SixTen, btw is, to represent the year 610 AD, in which it is believed that Muhammad (saw) had his first revelation.
Check and mate!

I knew you were Muslim though, you argued in favor of Islam well against some people of the other faiths here. Besides, why would you say BROTHER if you werent Muslim? LOL.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.