/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Scary movies

AnonymousPoster
10-24-2008, 05:22 PM
:sl:

My brother keeps watching scary movies. I am totally against it. I know I shud mind my own business, n he's my big bro, but its weird that he's watching such creepy things in a household ii live in too.

Pls give me something that says its haram. My parents cant do nothing about it, they keep telling me, jst dont go in his room, simple.

Well, its not so east, Ive seen wat he watches and its plain gruesome, so cruel, and scarry. I dont feel safe in the house because of it. I get nightmares. I'm not even kidding. I am suffering from it still.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S_87
10-24-2008, 08:40 PM
i feel for you, im totally scared of horror movies too. But the more you complain the more hes going to watch just to get you :? just dont watch them with him.

The Ruler
10-24-2008, 08:47 PM
I don't think watching scary movies is necessarily haraam. But excessive watching, especially when it's affecting your prayers and Imaan, is haraam.

If it really scares you, I would, just as your mother, suggest you not enter the room. Or just get over the fact that it's all pretence (though even I know that's easier said than done).

Or think like a ninja.

Kas1m
10-24-2008, 08:48 PM
what does it watch? something like scream or something like wrong turn and gory stuff? im against it too

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd-al Latif
10-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Ruling on watching TV, videos and satellite channels

Question:
What is the ruling on watching TV? On watching depraved videos? On installing a satellite dish in the home?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Watching TV is very dangerous, and I advise you not to watch it and not to sit in front of it as far as possible. But if the viewer has the moral strength to benefit from what is good, and that will not lead him into evil, then there is nothing to prevent him from that, if he knows that he has that moral strength. If he can listen to something good and benefit from it, and keep away from evil things such as songs and objectionable dramas and other harmful things, then there is nothing wrong with that. But usually the one thing leads to the other, so I advise people not to bring the TV into the home and not to watch it, because one thing leads to another, and because people are inclined to watch weird things if they are in front of them. It is not like listening; listening is less dangerous, but watching and listening may be more attractive and more addictive to people.

More evil than that are videos, if they contain depraved films and are circulated among people – we seek refuge with Allaah. These depraved video movies are more evil, and we must beware of them. The wise person, if he finds anything of that nature, must destroy it or record something over it in order to remove the evil. If possible, he should record something useful over it, so as to remove the evil thing and so that some benefit may be gained from the tape on which something good has been recorded.

Even more evil are satellite dishes. We must beware of them and not install them in our homes. May Allaah keep the Muslims safe from all evil.

Kitaab Majmoo’ Fataawa wa Maqaalaat Mutanawwi’ah li Samaahat al-Shaykh al-‘Allaamah ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him), vol. 9, p. 384

IslamQA.com

'Abd-al Latif
10-24-2008, 08:59 PM
The evil consequences of watching movies

Question:
What is the ruling on watching videos in general, and the movies that are called documentaries? Please advise us, may Allaah bless you.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Watching movies includes looking at things that are haraam, such as seeing ‘awrahs, following immoral actions, or listening to things that are haraam such as music and obscene talk. Undoubtedly it is haraam to watch them in this case.

If the movies are free of such things, then there is nothing wrong with watching them, so long as that does not distract one from remembering Allaah or keep one from doing something that is obligatory.

No distinction is made between documentaries and other kinds of movies.

Watching movies has a bad effect on the individual and on the ummah. These include the following:

1- Provocation of desires

2- Propagation of immorality which is made attractive and easily accessible

3- Teaching and justification of crime, and making it familiar to young and old

4- Corruption of married life, by making the wife seem ugly to the husband and vice versa, by showing images of attractive girls and men

5- Spreading corrupt beliefs which are based on kaafir theories, such as the theory of evolution, or attributing the powers of creation and destruction to researchers and inventors, or propagating magic, soothsaying and claims to know the unseen, or making fun of religion and religious people, and other things which appear in movies that are shown to young and old.

6- Wasting time and draining away energy, living with illusions far removed from reality.

And there are other evil consequences.

Shaykh Ibn Jibreen (may Allaah preserve him) said: Another of the evils of looking at those beguiling images and enjoying watching them is those images which are shown in movies on videos and on the TV etc, which show images of adorned women, especially those which are broadcast from foreign countries, and those that are shown via satellite, etc.

They are a fitnah (trial, temptation), and what a fitnah. The one who looks at those images cannot be sure that he will remain uninfluenced by the image of this woman or this zaani (adulterer) or this one who is committing evil and showing him the way to do it. He may not be able to control himself and stop himself from looking for ways to fulfil his desire, if he does not have the faith to stop him looking at these images, whether they are drawings, photographs in the pages of newspapers and magazines, or they are shown in direct broadcasts or in movies and the like.

These sins and haraam things are prevalent everywhere, and they are calling people to commit immoral actions. When a woman watches these non-mahram men, she cannot be sure that her heart will not incline towards committing immoral deeds, and when a woman sees these immoral, adorned women she would be temped to imitate them because she will think that they are smarter and stronger than her. That will make her cast aside the garment of modesty and uncover her face, and she will show her beauty to strangers, and she will become a fitnah and what a fitnah. End quote from the website of Shaykh Ibn Jibreen.

For more information on the dangers of TV, see the essay al-Ijhaaz ‘ala al-Tilfaaz by Shaykh Muhammad Ahmad Ismaa’eel.

See also questions no. 3633, 3324, 1107, 13003 for the rulings on watching TV and movies.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

'Abd-al Latif
10-24-2008, 09:05 PM
Yusuf Estes discusses whether it is permissible or not to watch TV, participate in and watch sports, and to play video games. What about obsessing yourself with celebrities? Are they Halal or Haram?

Media Tags are no longer supported

Yusuf Estes - Mail Box: Being Depressed & is T.V. Haraam

Bilal Philips

The Ruler
10-24-2008, 09:06 PM
I believe what the person's looking for is something from the hadith and Qur'an. And... I don't think that's possible, is it?

'Abd-al Latif
10-24-2008, 09:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender

My brother keeps watching scary movies. I am totally against it. I know I shud mind my own business, n he's my big bro, but its weird that he's watching such creepy things in a household ii live in too.

Pls give me something that says its haram. My parents cant do nothing about it, they keep telling me, jst dont go in his room, simple.

Well, its not so east, Ive seen wat he watches and its plain gruesome, so cruel, and scarry. I dont feel safe in the house because of it. I get nightmares. I'm not even kidding. I am suffering from it still.
Ibn al-Qayyim said:

Jihad (struggle, strive etc) against the perpetrators of injustice, evil deeds and and innovation; and that is at three levels:

The First: With one's hand, if one is able to do so; if he is unable to do so, he proceeds to the second.

The Second: With one's tongue (i.e. to speak against it). If he is unable to do that it, he must proceed to the third.

The Third: With one's heart (i.e. to hate the deed in one's heart).

Reference: Zaad al-Ma’aad (Provisions for the Hereafter), 3/9-11

aminahjaan
11-01-2008, 07:43 AM
Scary movies get us scared and distracted of what we shouldn't be scared of.

But every once in a while I need a scare,
haha

adeeb
11-01-2008, 08:23 AM
scary movies are not really bad... sometimes i watch it... especially if ure brother's hobby is watching scary movies, it's going to be hard to make him leave it...

be patience!

Liberty
11-04-2008, 12:49 PM
You shouldn't let scary movies affect you this way.
Tell your parents that you have a problem with your brother watching it.
Does he watch them in the lounge? If so ask him to watch it in another room, if possible.
Otherwise just avoid him altogether when he's watching them...

Malaikah
11-04-2008, 01:07 PM

I'm sorry but I don't understand. How can a scary movie scare you if you don't watch it?

bewildred
11-04-2008, 01:37 PM
The inquirerer wants a proof from the Hadith or Quran saying scary movies are Haram. I don't think that the fatwa of X or Y mufti will help a lot. I think that if another member had posted links or youtube stuff, his/her post would have been deleted.

Dear brother or sister, I don't think that watching scary movies is haram at all. What would be haram is to neglect one's prayers and see one's eeman lessen because of an addictive watching of those movies. You advised your bro no to watch them movies. He didn't want to listen to you. Fair enough. It's his business. Stay as far as possible from his room.

AvarAllahNoor
11-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Guru Fateh

Look, you don't like scary films, fine. He's into them, they mean nothing. It's all pretend. As long as he doesn't go off and buy a Micheal Myers (Halloween fame) mask, and then go on a bloody ramapage, then rest assured he's not getting anything negative from it. Also note, dictating to another will not stop them from doing what you percieve to be 'evil' it'll increase it. Entertainment can be ejoybed in many forms, just as long as it does not clash with your own sprituality, it's harmless. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.