/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Searching

ATR
10-24-2008, 05:32 PM
A.A.

I am here because I need answers. I was raised a Muslim, but consider myself an agnostic. I have discovered and really like Anglicanism, a denomination of Christianity, [in America this is the Episcopal Church] I know a great deal about Anglicanism and greatly admire it but I feel a need to first make sure I know enough about Islam, that I am not basing my decission on wrong ideas of Islam. I was raised Muslim but there is a lot I need to make sure.

To be honest I find it very frightening that I am so close to considering conversion to Christianity. It feels safer sticking with agnosticism, in which I can still fall under, in a way, the Islamic banner than to make official a switch.

I am not here to preach or encourage Anglicanism. I am not Christian, at least not yet and there are some parts of it that I am not sure about either. I just need some questions about Islam answered and do not feel comfortable confronting someone in person.

Thanks much :bump1:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamayun
10-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Welcome.

How much do you know about Islam? What are your reasons?

No one can help unless they know your reasons or doubts about Islam.

Peace.

Yanal
10-24-2008, 06:56 PM
Ask your questions. Brother this forum will try to save you from drowning in the other religion.

INsearch
10-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Welcome!!!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nájlá
10-24-2008, 08:53 PM
hi!

welcome to the forum

enjoy....

kwolney01
10-25-2008, 05:16 AM
Welcome to the forum!!

Feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like. We are all here to help!!

I wish you the best!!

TrueStranger
10-25-2008, 06:05 AM
Welcome and May Allah guide you down the right path.

Eric H
10-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Greetings and welcome to the forum ATR,

In the spirit of searching for God and that inner peace that surpasses all understanding.

Eric

ATR
10-27-2008, 09:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun
Welcome.

How much do you know about Islam? What are your reasons?

No one can help unless they know your reasons or doubts about Islam.

Peace.
Okay that will take a bit for me to write down completely but I will. Though no, I do not feel like I am drowning in the other faith, as Islamic Bro pointed out. As one raised in Islam but knowing very little about Christianity until now I have come to realize there is a great deal Muslims do not know or understand about it -- just as there is a great deal Christians do not know about Islam. I have heard people talking so often of "we must go into the churches and teach what the true Islam is" but how many mosque have ever invited a priest, not to learn about Islam, but to teach and make clear Christianity? ^o)

The Ruler
10-27-2008, 09:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ATR
Okay that will take a bit for me to write down completely but I will. Though no, I do not feel like I am drowning in the other faith, as Islamic Bro pointed out. As one raised in Islam but knowing very little about Christianity until now I have come to realize there is a great deal Muslims do not know or understand about it -- just as there is a great deal Christians do not know about Islam. I have heard people talking so often of "we must go into the churches and teach what the true Islam is" but how many mosque have ever invited a priest, not to learn about Islam, but to teach and make clear Christianity? ^o)
Most people don't have a problem with Christianity. When a plane or a train blows up, no one looks at the Christians to balme them. The eyes automatically fall on the Muslims. That's why many Muslims think it necessary to tell others of the TRUE Islam, and not the one presented in the media and/or by the "muslim" suicide bombers.

Welcome.

ATR
10-27-2008, 09:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler
Most people don't have a problem with Christianity. When a plane or a train blows up, no one looks at the Christians to balme them. The eyes automatically fall on the Muslims. That's why many Muslims think it necessary to tell others of the TRUE Islam, and not the one presented in the media and/or by the "muslim" suicide bombers.

Welcome.
Yes, but we are eager to condemn and make fun of them. I know this from experience. I hear the things other Muslims say about Christianity.

On top of that how can true interfaith happen? How can we have true understanding when we think the people we are talking to follow a ridiculious or nonsense faith?

I have been raised with so many false assumptions and beliefs about Christians, about priests and the Christian faith, as I am sure many other Muslims have. And then I started talking to a priest, talking to Episcopalians, and most of the things we think we know about Christianity are not true.

For true interfaith and understanding I strongly believe Priests must also be invited into Mosques to explain what Christianity is.

aadil77
10-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Yes, but we are eager to condemn and make fun of them. I know this from experience. I hear the things other Muslims say about Christianity.

On top of that how can true interfaith happen? How can we have true understanding when we think the people we are talking to follow a ridiculious or nonsense faith?

I have been raised with so many false assumptions and beliefs about Christians, about priests and the Christian faith, as I am sure many other Muslims have. And then I started talking to a priest, talking to Episcopalians, and most of the things we think we know about Christianity are not true.

For true interfaith and understanding I strongly believe Priests must also be invited into Mosques to explain what Christianity is.
http://www.acommonword.com/

ATR
10-27-2008, 10:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
That is all very good but that is not what I am saying. Just as Muslims are going into churches, to teach the Christians there, I think mosques should invite priests. That is good but it should be on the common, laity level as well. Normal, everyday people need to learn about each others faiths. We expect churches to allow Muslims to explain Islam, can we do any less to the Priests?

Just a thought.

The Khan
10-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Intolerance exists in every corner of society...

While I can expect the liberal "Salam Islam" group of LA, Cali accept priests explaining Christianity in their mosques, I don't think you can expect the Southern Baptist Convention or the Westbro Baptist Church do the same with Muslim Imams, n'est ce pas?

ATR
10-27-2008, 10:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Khan
Intolerance exists in every corner of society...

While I can expect the liberal "Salam Islam" group of LA, Cali accept priests explaining Christianity in their mosques, I don't think you can expect the Southern Baptist Convention or the Westbro Baptist Church do the same with Muslim Imams, n'est ce pas?
Yes I agree. But it is sad to think that. I know, myself personally, I was raised with so many false ideas about Christianity. I made fun of them and belittled their faith with other Muslims and thought their religion a joke and could not believe anyone could actually belive it and then I met several Christians. I spoke to an Episcopal Priest. And most of what I thought, what many Muslims I know think, is not true! It is exactly like the people who think Islam is violent or intollerant.

جوري
10-28-2008, 03:12 AM
Why don't you embrace your new faith and be happy?
it isn't in what people think of you, rather your bond with God and if you've found that through an Anglo church then go for it.. I don't think it is a psychological dilemma that can be mitigated on a forum!

I have personally attended Catholic school and mass x 4 years.. It did give me a good idea about Christianity.. but I think the picture I had of Christianity was better prior to my attendance.

For the most part, I found austere nuns, nonsensical passages left to 'faith' not reason, and an onslaught of unwed pregnant teenage girls and hilarious remarks about the majority of messengers and it is no wonder we see 'Jesus/the christian God' sold at walmart, or at borders with a bobbing head.... I think Christians are debasing their own religion, and Muslims can't do a thing to facilitate or alleviate that image... whereas Muslims are raised to respect Jesus, Christians will crouch to any level to malign Islam/Muslims/ the prophet's character..

if you want something, don't be so on the bends, and don't aggrieve everyone along with your personal vacillation!

all the best!

Ibn Abi Ahmed
10-28-2008, 03:27 AM
:sl:

I think this thread has served it's purpose of giving an intro. If you'd like to discuss anything else, please start a thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread closed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.