/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Food?

INsearch
10-24-2008, 09:48 PM
Am I correct in my understanding that Islam has food restrictions and such? if I am could you possibly link me to a place where it is explained?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The Khan
10-24-2008, 10:11 PM
:sl:

Wikipedia is quite clear about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_dietary_laws

Kosher food is allowed for us. I'm sure there are Kosher outlets near your home, right?

I would really suggest that you be frank with your parents about your conversion, they can't hate you for too long. In fact, your actions may make them revert as well, Inshallah. :)

:w:

INsearch
10-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Ok so no pork, and no blood (so no rare steak and such) and no animals that died because of natural causes and such?

The Khan
10-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Yup. And they must be slaughtered while they're alive. The only Christians who'm you can eat with are Ethiopian Orthodox Christians, they follow the same dietary laws we Muslims do. You might have to restrict yourself to eating veggies and sea food at your home if your mother's cooking.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
INsearch
10-24-2008, 10:27 PM
are their any companies that put seals on products that let you know that they have been slaughtered correctly? kinda like the K on products which means the food is kosher? I am having burgers tonight!! aahhhhhh!! I will find something.

Nawal89
10-24-2008, 10:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by INsearch
Ok so no pork, and no blood (so no rare steak and such) and no animals that died because of natural causes and such?
I"m not so sure about the rare steak. I think blood means the actual flowing blood which comes out of the animal. Like how some people make sausages out of it.

INsearch
10-24-2008, 10:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
I"m not so sure about the rare steak. I think blood means the actual flowing blood which comes out of the animal. Like how some people make sausages out of it.
EWWWWWWW+o(

FatimaAsSideqah
10-24-2008, 10:41 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

If you could see that label in any of shops and you can buying the product with the Halal labels.

A food label is stamped halal if the contents of the food confirm with Muslim dietary laws. A halal certification is analogous to a kosher certification, in that it is provided by a certified third party agency, but kosher food is not necessarily halal, and halal food is not always kosher. For Muslims who are concerned about obeying the Sharia, or Islamic law, a halal label acts as an assurance that the contents of the food are not haram, or forbidden.

The Khan
10-24-2008, 10:49 PM
If you can't buy Halal, buy Kosher. It's the alternative option. If neither, eat veggies or sea food.

Kas1m
10-25-2008, 06:31 AM
I have never heard of kosher

INsearch
10-25-2008, 08:38 AM
really? it means the food was blessed by a Rabbi and is lawful to eat (for a jew) have you ever noticed on food items the K with a circle around it? or the U with a circle around it? that means the food is kosher.

Yeah I had nothing to eat last night :( (no Islamic aloud food in my house :( )

Kas1m
10-25-2008, 09:03 AM
really? it means the food was blessed by a Rabbi and is lawful to eat (for a jew) have you ever noticed on food items the K with a circle around it? or the U with a circle around it? that means the food is kosher.

Yeah I had nothing to eat last night :( (no Islamic aloud food in my house :( )
You need to find food that is halal. You can buy normal fish and eat though i think

INsearch
10-25-2008, 09:13 AM
would eating tuna fish be haraam? (correct spelling?)

Kas1m
10-25-2008, 09:21 AM
No. Tuna and salmon is halal. You can make a sandwich . I love tuna

INsearch
10-25-2008, 09:35 AM
yay!! :)

The Khan
10-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Yeah, eat any seafood...

Oh, btw, stay away from Mozerella cheese...my mother tells me they use pork fat in the west in it, although I don't know if it's true.

UmmSqueakster
10-25-2008, 12:54 PM
Since you're worried about your familys' reaction, perhaps now would be a good time to become vegetarian. They may suspect something if you only stop eating pork and are always looking at labels for gelatin. Going vegetarian or pescetarian (fish only) eliminates all the bad stuff without raising suspicion.

Kas1m
10-25-2008, 01:22 PM
So when you eat vegetables and fish what you call that? Pescetarian?

INsearch
10-25-2008, 03:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Janaan
Since you're worried about your familys' reaction, perhaps now would be a good time to become vegetarian. They may suspect something if you only stop eating pork and are always looking at labels for gelatin. Going vegetarian or pescetarian (fish only) eliminates all the bad stuff without raising suspicion.
I have tried going vegetarian before (my parents where excepting of it) boy is it hard! lol the veggie burgers where ok...... but....... ewwww!!!:enough!: I dont think I have even seen

anywhere!! believe me Vermont has a pretty small Muslim population! we have only got 1 Mosque and its not very big :exhausted

But for Allah if I have to... I will go vegetarian :D

brotherinfaith
10-25-2008, 03:19 PM
if your parents are christians it's ok to eat their food just avoid pork and wine and before starting to eat say bismi lah

INsearch
10-25-2008, 03:24 PM
but what if they are eating food that has not been prepared in a way that would be lawful for a Muslim? would it not be Haaram if I was to eat say... a cheeseburger not prepared the right way?

Bismi Lah? what does that mean?

Pk_#2
10-25-2008, 03:31 PM
but what if they are eating food that has not been prepared in a way that would be lawful for a Muslim? would it not be Haaram if I was to eat say... a cheeseburger not prepared the right way?

Bismi Lah? what does that mean?
In the name of Allaah. ^

Erm just eat sweets, I live on Crisps and Ribena ( A drink if you dint know..). In the time of the prophet (salallahu Alayhi Wasslam) when the Muslims were boycotted they lived on grass and twigs,

be grateful, =)

The Khan
10-25-2008, 03:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by brotherinfaith
if your parents are christians it's ok to eat their food just avoid pork and wine and before starting to eat say bismi lah
Brother, I believe the reference is only to Ethipian Orthodox Christians who follow the same dietary laws as we do. Mainstream Christians don't. We mustn't forget that many early Muslims escaped to Abyssinia which is modern day Ethiopia in order to avoid persecution.

He has only forbidden you dead meat, and blood, and the flesh of swine, and any (food) over which the name of other than Allah has been invoked. But if one is forced by necessity, without wilful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits,- then Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. (16:115)

Eat if you have no other choice, brother INsearch. Allah (swt) has made submission to him easy. :)

INsearch
10-25-2008, 03:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pk_#2
In the name of Allaah. ^

Erm just eat sweets, I live on Crisps and Ribena ( A drink if you dint know..). In the time of the prophet (salallahu Alayhi Wasslam) when the Muslims were boycotted they lived on grass and twigs,

be grateful, =)
Whoa:exhausted

Pk_#2
10-25-2008, 03:39 PM
Whoa:exhausted
It was worse, life was $%^&* but I made it sound pleasant I dun want you getting scared lil wan. :coolious:

Do ya rents know you Muslim?

Dw, when you get hungry, just make a sandwich, you probably aint even hungry, it might be shaytaan :rollseyes Dw, if he bugs you, ima kik his *cough*

Be good.

seeker-of-light
10-25-2008, 03:51 PM
since i used to be a hindu, i dont eat beef. but now that i am a muslim, i still dont eat beef, because i just dont like it anymore since i havent eaten it in so long. i got sick the last time i tried to eat it.
i definitly stay away from haraam foods though like anything with pork (and i dont eat things that have blood in it and stuff anyways...eww)

Kas1m
10-25-2008, 06:13 PM
yeash pork is definately out of the way. even watching it makes me sick. how can christians eat it? yuck

INsearch
10-25-2008, 07:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pk_#2
It was worse, life was $%^&* but I made it sound pleasant I dun want you getting scared lil wan. :coolious:

Do ya rents know you Muslim?

Dw, when you get hungry, just make a sandwich, you probably aint even hungry, it might be shaytaan :rollseyes Dw, if he bugs you, ima kik his *cough*

Be good.
whoa! no! no! noooo lol unless I want to live off of grass and twigs also, it is best they do not know. hehehe I am hungry :( I had some hash browns but all we got is meat! :(

The Khan
10-25-2008, 07:20 PM
Go get some cheddar cheese and sandwich spreads, some fruits, etc, as quick as possible from your nearest store.

INsearch
10-25-2008, 07:22 PM
I am ok right now :) I am eating a microwaved cheese sandwich :) not to good but good enough :)

Afifa
10-25-2008, 07:34 PM
how about asking at your nearest mosque where hallal meat can be purchased? :?

INsearch
10-25-2008, 07:35 PM
I could call them I suppose.... by the way the nearest Mosque is like 60 or more miles away from me.

The Khan
10-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Can you take a bus?

INsearch
10-25-2008, 08:18 PM
a bus? I dont think we have a bus that goes up their (remember this is vermont... our seconds largest city is actually the size of a large town :/

Yanal
10-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Anything halal except pork beer or ham and bacon will be fine.:)
The thread starter got the answer can a moderator please close this thread.

INsearch
10-25-2008, 10:50 PM
oooooook.... my meat loving family will be having Tacos tonight :( I was telling my mom I want fish and she said she could not get it... . but then my mom offered if I go with her to the store if she has money left she will by me some sort of fish thing (I of course dont like going to stores and not thinking of the large picture refused) So I just gave up a chance to get food that was not Haaram for me to eat :( I did not eat dinner last night and I had some hasbrowns and a few microwaved cheese sandwiches :( I am really hungry so this would mean that if I ate the Tacos with the beef it would be Haaram because Allah provided me with a way to get something that would not be Haaram?

Ali.
10-25-2008, 10:53 PM
it would be Haaram because Allah provided me with a way to get something that would not be Haaram?
Well... you did kind've have a chance.

Why don't you like going to the shops?

INsearch
10-25-2008, 10:58 PM
I just dont like going to stores cuzzzzz I am shy lol and not to social. Listen the reason I am worried about the beef being Haraam is because I dont know if it was slaughtered alive...... which makes me wonder.... isn't all beef slaughtered alive?

Ali.
10-25-2008, 11:02 PM
I just dont like going to stores cuzzzzz I am shy lol and not to social.
You've got to sort that out. Just force yourself to go down there, or how else will you get halal food? :ooh:

Listen the reason I am worried about the beef being Haraam is because I dont know if it was slaughtered alive...... which makes me wonder.... isn't all beef slaughtered alive?
Could you rephrase that, please?

Güven
10-25-2008, 11:10 PM
you want food , get married! lol just kidding :p

uhm yeah thats a diffucult stiuation, dont you have any muslims living close to your home? maybe you could ask them where they get their halal food.

:w:

INsearch
10-25-2008, 11:15 PM
nope no Muslims :( you guys got to realize lol Vermont is not very diverse at all believe me!!

Güven
10-25-2008, 11:18 PM
ask your parents to eat fish? fish is gooooooooood!

The Khan
10-25-2008, 11:29 PM
I just dont like going to stores cuzzzzz I am shy lol and not to social. Listen the reason I am worried about the beef being Haraam is because I dont know if it was slaughtered alive...... which makes me wonder.... isn't all beef slaughtered alive?
Muslims and Jews slaughter animals by slitting the throat and letting the blood drain out as the animal dies. The blood should drain out.

Others just chop the head off.

INsearch
10-26-2008, 12:00 AM
oh so it has to have its throat slit? ey? ok well I am having my Tacos this way :) no meat ! just veggies and sour cream and refried beans and cheese and onions and tomatoes and pepppers and salsa :) that way its not Haraam :)

The Khan
10-26-2008, 12:22 AM
Yup bro, it's not. Don't forget to have eggs and lentils if you're going veggie... you need protein! And vitamin B12. So do have seafood as much as possible. :)

INsearch
10-26-2008, 12:25 AM
Yup :) it feels good to try and follow Allah despite my cravings :) it felt good not to give in :) it was only because Allah gave me the strength tho :)

The Khan
10-26-2008, 12:45 AM
Mashallah! :)

INsearch
10-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Wow! I just feel so.... so... stupid!! retarded!! I lack so much faith... or commitment... one of the two... today for lunch all we had was left overs (taco) the veggies where gone and I almost gave into my stomach!! literally! I was letting my hunger and my longing for the Haraam meat to cause me to actually consider leaving Islam!!! :( :( :( :( I feel so foolish!! why would I consider such a thing?! I of course did not give in and am not craving it now... but that just showed my lack of commitment to the wonderful Allah! the God that created me! gave me life! the very one that forgave me! why would I be so foolish as to think about leaving him for food? stupid! stupid! STUPID!!!

The Khan
10-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Don't worry INsearch, that was just Shaytan infiltrating your mind and appetite. You have done a good job fighting it.

To the believer, the world is a prison. To an unbeliever, the world is paradise.

Just buy some eggs and boil them whenever you're hungry. :)

INsearch
10-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Thank you :) that has made me feel much better :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.