/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Opus Dei

buddy1
10-25-2008, 08:23 PM
Has anybody heard of Opus Dei, Ruth Kelly of the current labour party is a member, its also a main topic of the Davinci Code.

I have a facination is other religions and love to learn why and what they do.

Opus Dei is a branch of Catholic Church, some say its a Cult, others beleive it a genuine branch of Catholism (sp!!?)

I know they do a thing called Corporate mortification, the name scares me alone, this includes tying a metal spiked chain around the top of their leg and feeling jesus's pain, anyways, I found a good page, I think its interesting, aswell as odd!!

I know some bits about it but i went on Wikipedia, (my knowledge bible!!) and I found this really strange!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_Dei

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
BillH
10-26-2008, 12:42 AM
Buddy1,

Hi. I am not a member of Opus Dei (Work of God). It is what is called a personal prelature of the Catholic Church. Under most circumstances, Catholics belong to a geographical diocese of the Catholic Church. Opus Dei members belong to their geographical diocese but also belong to the Prelature of Opus Dei. That's sort of the "organizational structure" aspect of it.

The wikipedia article covers some of the main concepts that run through the spirituality of Opus Dei: the article mentions the principle of divine filiation (God as our Father, adopted Father through Baptism), the lifelong pursuit of holiness, which includes a strong focus on our unity of life (our work, everything we do, can be converted/transformed with God's grace, into a prayer with God. A conversation with God).

So, all the annoyances and sufferings of our day...the computer crashing, slow traffic, mean people, hard work, and of course all the good things to....all of these things become opportunities to encounter Christ in our ordinary day. Our work, if offered to God and done well, becomes prayer.

So all of life becomes prayer...in our New Testament it mentions that we should "pray without ceasing" "always giving thanks", etc.

The mortification aspect isn't as dramatic as the movie the Da Vinci Code makes out. Many people who work out hard, running hard, going hungry, basically punishing their bodies, etc. are stupified that Catholics undergo various forms of mortification and self denial.

Most people in Opus Dei don't flail themselves...but they do "die to themselves" by going without extra portions, fasting, parking farther away so they walk farther, working an hour longer, adding more intensity to their work, or other forms of self control and reasonable discipline.

Catholics who mortify don't do it because they like it....they do it because they don't like it.

It serves at least two purposes...over time, it makes one more able to endure sensual temptations, and it also gives an appreciation of the sufferings that Christ went through for us.

Hope this helps.

Bill

buddy1
10-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Oh thanks bill, thats cool, i watched a program the other night on SKY about other religions and thought it sounded interesting!! looks like i was right!!

Thanks!! :D

Amadeus85
10-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Opus Dei is a catholic organization which lays important role in living the christian life by hard working n pious behaviour. In Poland about 25% of ministers belonged to Opus Dei in 2005-2006 goverment.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Danah
10-26-2008, 08:09 PM
the first time I heard about Opus Dei was when I read Davinci Code book before several years, actually that denomination attract my attention by their practice in torturing their bodies....and that actually scared me, they consider it as a way of soul purification

here is their site : http://www.opusdei.org/

barney
10-26-2008, 08:10 PM
The self flagellating bit happens in all religions from the depth of antiquity.

http://revver.com/video/1087844/mour...th-of-hussain/

buddy1
10-26-2008, 08:15 PM
So, does anyone know what a Supernumerary is coz i cant find it on the site!!?

Danah
10-26-2008, 08:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
The self flagellating bit happens in all religions from the depth of antiquity.

http://revver.com/video/1087844/mour...th-of-hussain/
I dont wanna be off the topic but those people on the vedio are not belonging to the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammed PBUH at all......they did horrible things that islam prohibit the human to do to him self or harm the human body

Danah
10-26-2008, 08:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by buddy1
So, does anyone know what a Supernumerary is coz i cant find it on the site!!?

you will find it on the site I gave above
Supernumerary members, most of them married, carry out an extensive work of evangelization among their friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers through their word and their example. Like all other members, they attempt to spread Opus Dei’s message that ordinary life should lead to holiness. They do this in the most diverse settings but with a minimum of formal organization. Because of their family and professional commitments, supernumerary members ordinarily have little time available for directing Opus Dei activities or giving formation in the spirit of Opus Dei to others in a formal, organized fashion. But they strive by word and example to bring their colleagues, friends and family members closer to Christ, and they try to contribute generously to support financially the activities of Opus Dei as well as their parish
read the whole page here : http://www.opusdei.us/art.php?p=11401

buddy1
10-26-2008, 08:30 PM
That film I totally agree is horrible, I cant see that anybody would want anyone else to cause so much pain to themselves,

technically its self harming, self harming can lead to suicide in somecases isnt that a sin?????

BillH
10-27-2008, 12:51 AM
The film is outrageously inaccurate. Opus Dei is not a denomination; it's not a cult; it's not an order. There are no monks, for instance.

Opus Dei has some of the most balanced, cheerful, loving, and fun people I've ever run across.

wiebelhaus
10-27-2008, 01:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by BillH
Buddy1,

Hi. I am not a member of Opus Dei (Work of God). It is what is called a personal prelature of the Catholic Church. Under most circumstances, Catholics belong to a geographical diocese of the Catholic Church. Opus Dei members belong to their geographical diocese but also belong to the Prelature of Opus Dei. That's sort of the "organizational structure" aspect of it.

The wikipedia article covers some of the main concepts that run through the spirituality of Opus Dei: the article mentions the principle of divine filiation (God as our Father, adopted Father through Baptism), the lifelong pursuit of holiness, which includes a strong focus on our unity of life (our work, everything we do, can be converted/transformed with God's grace, into a prayer with God. A conversation with God).

So, all the annoyances and sufferings of our day...the computer crashing, slow traffic, mean people, hard work, and of course all the good things to....all of these things become opportunities to encounter Christ in our ordinary day. Our work, if offered to God and done well, becomes prayer.

So all of life becomes prayer...in our New Testament it mentions that we should "pray without ceasing" "always giving thanks", etc.

The mortification aspect isn't as dramatic as the movie the Da Vinci Code makes out. Many people who work out hard, running hard, going hungry, basically punishing their bodies, etc. are stupified that Catholics undergo various forms of mortification and self denial.

Most people in Opus Dei don't flail themselves...but they do "die to themselves" by going without extra portions, fasting, parking farther away so they walk farther, working an hour longer, adding more intensity to their work, or other forms of self control and reasonable discipline.

Catholics who mortify don't do it because they like it....they do it because they don't like it.

It serves at least two purposes...over time, it makes one more able to endure sensual temptations, and it also gives an appreciation of the sufferings that Christ went through for us.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Good Post , thanks mate.

buddy1
10-27-2008, 08:23 AM
^ I agree, Thanks!!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!