/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The wealth of Paradise

barney
10-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Just listening to a podcast of a sermon about the last guy out of hell.
Interesting stuff, but , as usual , it gets my old atheistic cells a churning.

Mentioned in both Torah, Gosple and Quran are the riches of paradise. We have gold and gems and green silk.

What use are thee things in paradise? Does it have an economy? Isnt Gold just another metal? If there are paths made out of it, dosnt that become a bit mundane. I would love to have a castle made out of platinum here on earth, and bathe in wine etc, but In Paradise?
Evryone would have golden paths , so its not really the same effect. After 250 quintrillion years, it's still a yellow metal path as common as soil is here.

Is all this silk and wealth and milk and honey metaphorical? Representing pleasure?
I Hate milk, I certainly wouldnt like a river of it. Honey makes me nauseus.

Isnt al that splendour going to simply be the mundane and the appearance of something ordinary be the real treasure?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
barney
11-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Bumpage

aamirsaab
11-02-2008, 05:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Bumpage
Perhaps it's just a means of enticement or merely named in earthly terms for us to relate to. But, noone truly knows what's in store for us in Paradise other than God. It could very well be filled with strawberry-filled gummy bears coated in milk chocolate, raspberry syrup and hundreds and thousands.

I think however, the point is: paradise is awesome. Hell bites.

Hamayun
11-02-2008, 05:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Perhaps it's just a means of enticement or merely named in earthly terms for us to relate to. But, noone truly knows what's in store for us in Paradise other than God. It could very well be filled with strawberry-filled gummy bears coated in milk chocolate, raspberry syrup and hundreds and thousands.

I think however, the point is: paradise is awesome. Hell bites.
:D:coolious:

That is a very cool reply :D

Barney just out of interest...

You will never believe in Islam. You find Islam primitive and fabricated.

So why then bother with all the podcasts etc? What are you trying to achieve?

Islam is not for you my friend. Move on and let us gullible people get on with it :rollseyes

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sahabiyaat
11-02-2008, 05:59 PM
the way your going mr. dinasour, you aint getting gold or platinum! :D so be quiet! lol.

aamirsaab
11-02-2008, 06:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun

Islam is not for you my friend. Move on and let us gullible people get on with it :rollseyes
Now, now. It is completely possible for Barney to revert to Islam. He could do it today, tomorrow or even later on in his life. It's all upto Allah at the end of the day. Do remember Umar [ra] and his attitude towards Islam before he reverted, yet Allah had blessed him with the ability to accept Islam upon reading the Quran, subhanallah.

barney
11-02-2008, 06:03 PM
I'd agree with you.

The Sheikh was saying that the things there are unimaginable, that you could spend 5000 years just staring at a single stone or something.

It has always struck me that, all this water that seems to flow in the descriptions from torah, Bible and Quran would have been amazingly magically wonderful to a people who had to collect droplets of water on their tentcovers and make it last a week in 50 degree heat. To some today, thats still an unimaginable luxuary. To others its a case of switching on a tap and wishing the rain would stop. Escpecialy in this country.

If the Gold is real, the milk rivers real then its going to be a bit of a downgrade in my opinion to get in there. I dont like green, I can live with it, but eternity in green silk would make me long for my old cardigan and my goth hat.

I think the guy in the podcast described things very well. Really really well actually, and far better than the written descriptions of shining pearls, again in my opinion. Which makes me think, if some ordinary chap in leeds or whereever he was from can knock out a description like that, then surely this lends weight to the Torah and Quranic descriptions being what they say they are. You actually do get gold and cows and donkeys and shady tents.

Sahabiyaat
11-02-2008, 06:04 PM
^ very true.....out barney may just see sense one day, never give up hope!!!!!

Yanal
11-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Maybe it means that turn into a Muslim and get the enternal life of glarious heaven:).

barney
11-02-2008, 06:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun

I dont know if I'll beleive in it or not! I am agnostic, so if something makes sense to me, and can be supported by enough evidence , i'll beleive it!

I just find it all very interesting. Not just Islam, but Judism and catholicism and frumism and Juche etc etc. I was considering what it would be like to worship frum, and even toyed with the idea for a short while.I enjoy finding out about all these,(well, until the Catholics kicked me off their forums, and the Scientologists, and the Jews, ....but I still like to listen to podcasts on them).

I wouldnt call y'all gullible, I'd say you have found a different "Truth".

Edit: Also theres lotsa cool things in Islam that I really like. Hadj for instance, that must be amazing to walk around with a million odd people from all over the world all connected in purpose. And some of the history is amazing,like when a prophet arrived in Istanbul and the Mufti said, to him, "Hey, no problems, We will all disavow islam and convert to your religion if you prove your the real deal, just stand in front of my archers and deflect the arrows......!(He declined and said the Shahadda :) )

doorster
11-02-2008, 06:22 PM
:sl:
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Now, now. It is completely possible for Barney to revert to Islam. He could do it today, tomorrow or even later on in his life. It's all upto Allah at the end of the day. Do remember Umar [ra] and his attitude towards Islam before he reverted, yet Allah had blessed him with the ability to accept Islam upon reading the Quran, subhanallah.
unless of course he is one them whose ultimate aim is to deter others from The Straight Path and join him (to wherever he is headed)
;
something to ponder upon, my brother!
:w:

I have nightmares about him and others from here (even during salat, sometimes I can hear him screaming and laughing at me and have to start again)

Abu Ilyas
11-02-2008, 06:26 PM
:lol: u seriously have those nightmares?

barney
11-02-2008, 06:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
:sl:unless of course he is one them whose ultimate aim is to deter others from The Straight Path and join him (to wherever he is headed)
;

I have nightmares about him and others from here (even during salat, sometimes I can hear him screaming and laughing at me and have to start again)

I hope your not serious matey.
Put it this way, dont take a blind bit of notice of me, I'm a fat drunk bald yorkshireman and singularly unlikely to unravel a loosly knitted jumper let alone a religion, the only thing I can debunk is a bunkbed.
. I havnt a clue what I'm typing half the time and the other half I know what I'm typing and its all utter tosh.

Your religion is 1400 years old , a billion plus strong and has withstood millennia of critisism to be now stronger than ever. I'd call that impressive, and nope, i'm not being sarcastic.

doorster
11-02-2008, 06:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MUHAMM7D
:lol: u seriously have those nightmares?
:sl:

Yes, for some reason this place is addictive, it even causes me daydreams, similar things are happening to another Muslim brother who even asked to be deleted from here for this reason.

But on days when I see Br. woodrow online or he messages me, I feel safe and can perform my salat without interruption, it feels as if he will watchout for me.

doorster
11-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Put it this way, dont take a blind bit of notice of me, I'm a fat drunk bald yorkshireman and singularly unlikely to unravel a loosly knitted jumper let alone a religion, the only thing I can debunk is a bunkbed.
. I haven't a clue what I'm typing half the time and the other half I know what I'm typing and its all utter tosh.
yeah, sometimes I feel that too but at other times not, and when you make more sense than many Muslim posters here, I even thank God for you being here

at other times I wish you were banned from making blaspheming posts, in other words I do not know whether I am coming or going

Peace

barney
11-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Doors, I'm really shocked. It has never been my intention to put anyone off their faith or interupt their beleifs. I'm really sorry if any of my posts have done that.

I'd rather leave the boards permenantly than cause that. it's simply not worth it.
Yup, my posts have been intended to challenge, but I genuinely thought that this would just make peoples faiths stronger and that they could assert the grounds for their beleifs.

To this effect, I'm cancelling my account now. Best wishes and peace be upon you all.

doorster
11-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Doors, I'm really shocked. It has never been my intention to put anyone off their faith or interupt their beleifs. I'm really sorry if any of my posts have done that.

I'd rather leave the boards permenantly than cause that. it's simply not worth it.
Yup, my posts have been intended to challenge, but I genuinely thought that this would just make peoples faiths stronger and that they could assert the grounds for their beliefs.

To this effect, I'm cancelling my account now. Best wishes and peace be upon you all.
but I thank God more times for you being here than the opposite.

It is NOT you on your own rather it is one straw that tips over the balance (I have far far bigger problem with many Muslims and all evangelists here than can ever have with you. compared with them you are a blessing and positive influence except for times when I get confused).

Please do not GO [at least] NOT until I can edit this post to make it better and apologise to you (I think in Urdu, write it down, then translate in to proper English)

Peace!!!

edit:
I would prefer it if it was me rather than you

do not do anything until Br. Woodrow comes back for he will grant me my wish to delete my account, on balance I believe you are doing a better job of showing the mirror to people here than I ever can + I do Not want Punishment of God for upsetting/deterring a true seeker. I promise to try my best to not post until Br. Woodrow is back.

peace ________

aamirsaab
11-02-2008, 06:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
:sl:unless of course he is one them whose ultimate aim is to deter others from The Straight Path and join him (to wherever he is headed)
;
You do have a good point, but I'd rather give him the benefit of the doubt than pass any negative judgement - for all we know, he could become a muslim this very night!

Jazakallah kheir for your input and concern - it is much appreciated.

Hamayun
11-02-2008, 09:20 PM
. I havnt a clue what I'm typing half the time and the other half I know what I'm typing and its all utter tosh.

Your religion is 1400 years old , a billion plus strong and has withstood millennia of critisism to be now stronger than ever. I'd call that impressive, and nope, i'm not being sarcastic.
Barney I apologise for misunderstanding you.

I respect your point of view and I sincerely hope I have not offended you.

Come to think of it you make this place more interesting because I tend to read all your posts.

Peace :)

Edit:

Don't leave Barney. I am sorry if I have offended you. You have just as much right to be here as any of us. Sorry.

barney
11-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Hey Hamay

No offence in the slightest taken, no worries. I Have PM'ed you.

Peace to you and all.:thumbs_up

Malaikah
11-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Barney, I found you lack of gratitude very alarming.

I'm not a big fan of green either, but there is nothing more beautiful then the sight of lovely green trees in the early afternoon sun!

For you to just sit there and snobbishly say things like that, really it makes me wonder at how lacking in gratitude you are.

Hamayun
11-02-2008, 11:44 PM
Barney you can't leave! Bro doorster would like you to stay too. Isn't that right bro doorster?

Amat Allah
11-03-2008, 03:51 AM
please stay brother barney you are one of LI`s precious family members may Allah lead your way to the path of the endless happiness Ameeeeen

and what in paradise is not like what in this mortal life my dear brother...everyone who will eneter paradise will finds what he loves wills wants likes and desire...

and I want you to know no matter how much scholars described paradise they will never even get close to it never coz it is unutterable and no one ever can imagine it....ever

may Allah guide you to the path of truth of paradise and fill ur heart with happiness and satisfaction to be the happiest ever Ameeeeeeeeen

stay brother stay...pleasee ^^

and by the way Islam for everyone and no one knows when to be guided by Allah the creator of all of us no one ...all praise be to Allah....

Hamayun
11-03-2008, 07:15 PM
I feel horrible now. Please don't go Barney. We miss you already :cry:

Come back!!!

Chuck
11-05-2008, 02:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
Barney, I found you lack of gratitude very alarming.

I'm not a big fan of green either, but there is nothing more beautiful then the sight of lovely green trees in the early afternoon sun!

For you to just sit there and snobbishly say things like that, really it makes me wonder at how lacking in gratitude you are.
He can have purple paradise :D

Eric H
11-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Greetings and peace be with you barney,

Hopefully you will come back a third time, you can't leave us for good, I miss you already.

Take care of yourself.

Eric

LockOn
11-06-2008, 09:20 AM

Mentioned in both Torah, Gosple and Quran are the riches of paradise. We have gold and gems and green silk.

What use are thee things in paradise? Does it have an economy? Isnt Gold just another metal? If there are paths made out of it, dosnt that become a bit mundane. I would love to have a castle made out of platinum here on earth, and bathe in wine etc, but In Paradise?
Evryone would have golden paths , so its not really the same effect. After 250 quintrillion years, it's still a yellow metal path as common as soil is here.

Is all this silk and wealth and milk and honey metaphorical? Representing pleasure?

Isnt al that splendour going to simply be the mundane and the appearance of something ordinary be the real treasure?
Though you might hate Milk or Honey may make you nauseus, that wouldn't be the case in Paradise. In paradise we are told there are things no eye has ever seen, nor any ears has ever heard before. It cannot be imagined.

Though i don't really know you at all, I do not believe you should leave. Clearly, people here like you and you are wanted.

Duncan Ferguson
11-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Heaven would be the place where you cease to learn. That doesn't sound too heavenly to me. What would you discuss?

Keltoi
11-06-2008, 08:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Duncan Ferguson
Heaven would be the place where you cease to learn. That doesn't sound too heavenly to me. What would you discuss?
The Christian and Jewish concepts of Heaven aren't nearly as discriptive as that of the Qu'ran. Primarily it is described as a place without pain, suffering, or sorrow.

I'm sure a Muslim member can address this particular aspect, but in the Christian sense the question is rather premature. We do not claim to understand what truly awaits us in Heaven, besides what is described in Scripture, which is vague other than the lack of earthly concerns.

doorster
11-06-2008, 08:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
The Christian and Jewish concepts of Heaven aren't nearly as discriptive as that of the Qu'ran. Primarily it is described as a place without pain, suffering, or sorrow.

I'm sure a Muslim member can address this particular aspect, but in the Christian sense the question is rather premature. We do not claim to understand what truly awaits us in Heaven, besides what is described in Scripture, which is vague other than the lack of earthly concerns.

The realities of the other world are beyond human cognition.

“Paradise, Hell and all that which lies beyond death properly belong to the category of what is known as the Unseen“

Sheikh Ahmad Kutty (a lecturer at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada) states:

“Paradise, Hell and all that which lies beyond death properly belong to the category of what is known as al-ghayb (the Unseen). Allah tells us in the Qur’an that the true believers are those “who believe in the unseen…” and “those who have firm faith in the next world.” (see Qur’an, Surat Al-Baqarah: 1-5). Accordingly, we believe in the existence of a world that is not immediately visible to us because it has been veiled from us. The realities of this world transcend the confines of the material world surrounding us. Although they have been kept hidden from us in this present state of our existence, we will certainly be exposed to them at a later stage in our life, i.e., after death.

The realities of the other world are beyond human cognition. To state differently, we cannot access or know anything about them through the ordinary means of perception or sources of knowledge that we have at our disposal such as reason, experience, empirical study, observation and analysis. Although such tools and methods are truly beneficial for gaining knowledge of the mundane world, they are simply useless or worthless as far the realities of other world are concerned. People make serious mistakes when they use such tools or methods to speculate on such realities. Their behavior is not at all different from that of an imbecile who is trying to weigh a mountain with a scale intended for gold.

Since we cannot use the above methods for knowing the realties that properly belong to the realm of ghayb, the only safe method of gaining any knowledge about it is through the divine revelation alone. The Qur’an, by all accounts, is the most authentic of such revelations, and therefore the most trusted source of knowledge that we possess in our hands. Next comes the Sunnah or the authentic traditions transmitted from the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), which further elaborate on the words of the Qur’an.

The Qur’an and Hadith provide sufficient details about the nature of Heaven and Hell, but while reading those details, we must always be cautioned against the tendency of making excessive comparisons between the things of the two worlds, those of the mundane and those of the Hereafter. Such descriptions of the other world in the sources must be properly understood as referring to the experiences of a realm that is not accessible to us and which is incomparable in its essence; for the tools and languages of the mundane world are utterly limited in scope and therefore inadequate to describe the indescribable. This is why Ibn `Abbas, the inspired commentator of the Qur’an is reported to have said about Jannah (Paradise), “There is nothing in the other world of the things of this world except names!”

It is in this spirit we must speak of the realities of the experiences of Paradise.

When we look in the Qur’an and the Sunnah, we can conclude the following about the experiences of Paradise:

Paradise is where all our wishes and dreams are materialized; Allah says: “They will have (in Paradise) all that their souls could desire, all the eyes could delight in. And you remain perpetually therein.” (Az-Zukhruf: 71)

“No soul knows what is kept hidden for them of delights of the eyes, as a reward for what they used to do.” (As-Sajda: 17)

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) elaborated on this saying:

“In it (i.e. Paradise) is such bliss the like of which no eyes have ever seen, no ears have heard about, and no mind has ever conceived.”

In light of the above, we can safely conclude that those who say that Paradise is only spiritual or intellectual in its nature are guilty of committing an act of ultimate arrogance, as they are pretending to know better than the Creator Himself. Therefore, instead of committing such blatant errors, we prefer to be humble before the revelation and refuse to speculate about the mysteries of the other world with our reason.

Let us conclude: The experience of Paradise as described in the Qur’an and the Sunnah involves the total human person, including his physical, intellectual and spiritual faculties. For Paradise is where all possibilities are materialized in an infinitely perfect and impeccable manner. While the pleasures of this world are rather tainted by imperfection and are ever vanishing, the pleasures of Paradise are eternal; whereas the pleasure of this world are always followed or preceded by pain and suffering, pleasures of Paradise are pure, indescribable bliss. We pray to Allah to make us all worthy of entering this supreme and abiding state of bliss after we have left behind us the toils and trials of this fleeting and transient world. Ameen.”

AntiKarateKid
12-05-2008, 05:23 AM

What is more ordinary, waht you have been exposed to for 1000 years or what you saw in your 80 years on earth?

Anyways, you get what you want. THese thigns are probably mentioned to show that for all the arguments we have over gems and all the avarice we show, everything, even gems and such are granted to us in paradise.

You want a river of coke one day and one of regular water the other day? you got it.

You know why? Because you deserved it if you got into heaven.

alcurad
12-05-2008, 06:20 AM
I did go through the what's paradise'/hell really like, didn't get much out of it though it was an interesting topic to discuss.

and what's with the romantic disabling of accounts:), do come back both of you, it so gets lifeless at times, LI that is. I'm not asking for selfish reason only too, I at least learned much from here, I'd say it's the same for everyone else.

AntiKarateKid
12-05-2008, 07:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
I did go through the what's paradise'/hell really like, didn't get much out of it though it was an interesting topic to discuss.

and what's with the romantic disabling of accounts:), do come back both of you, it so gets lifeless at times, LI that is. I'm not asking for selfish reason only too, I at least learned much from here, I'd say it's the same for everyone else.
LOL. So true. Romantic... lololol.

Follower
12-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Heaven is being in the presence of GOD.

Hell will be away from GOD.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.