/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Europe's First Woman Imam

FatimaAsSideqah
10-26-2008, 08:05 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

PARIS — A mosque in southern Belgium has named a female Muslim professor to the post of imam, the first such a move in the northwestern European country.
"Hawaria Fattah has been granted the rank of imam," Abdel-Jalel Al-Hajaji, the curator of Al-Sahaba Mosque in the southern city of Verviers, told IslamOnline.net on Saturday, October 25.

"It is the first move of its kind in Belgium and Europe."

Chosen along with two male imams, Fattah, a mother of three, will supervise the preaching activities for women at the mosque.

"But she will not deliver the sermon of the Friday prayers or lead the prayers," stressed Hajaji.

"Her role will focus on supervising the preaching and guidance activities for women at the mosque."

Fattah's selection was approved by the Belgian Justice Ministry, which is responsible for the country's religious affairs.

Born to an Algerian father and a Belgian mother, Fatah, 35, is a professor of social and Islamic studies.

She has worked as a preacher for Muslim women at a mosque in Verviers.

Pioneering

Muslim leaders said Fattah's appointment shows that Islam is treating men and women on equal footing.

"Her selection stems from our conviction that men and women are equal in Islam," said Hajaji.

The Muslim leader said that the move will help Muslim women gain a foothold at mosques.

"This pioneering move will help enable women gain a foothold in preaching activities, while abiding by religious teachings."

Fattah's selection won plaudits from Belgian Muslims.

"We welcome and praise this smart move," Karim Chemlal, leader of the Muslim League of Belgium, told IOL.

"It will show the bright image of our Islamic faith."

Belgian Muslims are estimated at 450,000 — out of a 10-million population. Most of Belgian Muslims are of Moroccan and Turkish origins.

Belgium was the first European country in 1974 to recognize Islam among other state religions in the country.
Source from http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...News/NWELayout

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
10-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Thats more like it! mashallah, and not like that other woman from america whether she was a sensationalist or not allahualem

FatimaAsSideqah
10-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Insha'Allah, I am hope there will be chance for Muslim women to become the Imam in here UK! Thats will be great.

SixTen
10-26-2008, 08:36 PM
I knew women can lead prayers, but didn't know they could be imams.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
10-26-2008, 08:41 PM
"But she will not deliver the sermon of the Friday prayers or lead the prayers," stressed Hajaji.

^ LOL? then how is she an imaam?

shes just an ameerah it sounds like, which is kool

Ansariyah
10-26-2008, 08:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SixTen
I knew women can lead prayers, but didn't know they could be imams.
? waita min!...cnt believe this* sorry but I didnt know that woman cud lead prayers in Islam. I am slightly baffled. Pls show me some daleel, jst never heard of this.

& Imam too..waaat.

Musaafirah
10-26-2008, 08:51 PM
^^ i guess they're jus using the word as that would be something that non-muslims will have a vague idea about.
I didn't know that women could lead women during prayers...:?

Cabdullahi
10-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Women can lead prayers for other women thats it...guys plz refer to a wonderful thread by abdul latif >>>>>>http://www.islamicboard.com/miscella...d-imamate.html

north_malaysian
10-29-2008, 01:58 AM
Should we call the female imam - an "imam" or an "imamah"?

There are female only mosques in China... so there would be no problem having a female imam in a mosque exclusively for women.

kwolney01
10-29-2008, 02:10 AM
SubanAllah!!! That's great to hear!!

The Khan
10-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Since when is Imam a clergical rank? I thought that the Qur'an absolutely forbids clergy... Can someone shed some light on this? I'm confused.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.