/* */

PDA

View Full Version : common women health questions answered by Dr. Hisham Al-Inani

جوري
10-26-2008, 08:34 PM
http://www.islamonline.net/livedialo...GuestID=ip9z2w

Session Details
Guest Name Dr. Hisham Al-Inani, Gynecologist and Obstetrician Specialized in Invitro Fertilization, Lecturer at Cairo University’s Faculty of Medicine
Subject Live Medical Consultations: Having a Baby
Date Thursday,Sep 25 ,2003
Time Makkah
From... 16:30...To... 19:00
GMT
From... 13:30...To...16:00

Name Host -
Profession
Answer
Dear viewers,

The session has just started. You are invited to join us with your questions.

After the session, you could view the whole dialogue in the recent sessions.

Yours,
Islamonline Live Dialogue Editing Desk

Name yaqub - Nigeria
Profession civil servant
Question
As-salam alaekum,
what is the normal waiting period for a nursing mother before returning to prayer after child birth.

Ma-salam.
Answer
Sir,

Assalamu alaikum. Nursing is a novel job for the mother and it doesn't contradict with praying unless there is still menstrual bleeding which usually lasts for 30-40 days following labor. After that, either the mother does not have menses (due to lactation), or she will regain her menses within a few months. All this does not prevent praying. Wishing you and your family the bless of Allah.

Name hana -
Profession
Question
assalaamalaikum..

I am desperately trying to have baby for past 4 months, but have been unable to.

I usually have irregular periods, and iam 75 kgs, 5, 3". My husband is on eltroxin for hypothyroidism.what should I do? I usually get up immidiately after having sex and see semen falling out of my body. is it important for me to lie down for few hours after sex so that the semen remains inside. And also please tell me which days in the cycle are best to have a baby. Thanks
Answer
Sister Hana,

Assalamu alaikum. Allah bless your marriage and grant you children soon. You have just been married for four months so don't be overworried. Pregnancy will eventually happen inshallah. There is no need to stay in bed for hours after intercourse; just five to ten minutes is enough for the sperm to get inside the uterus. It's a usual finding to find some seminal fluid leaking when you get up after intercourse. It's just a medium for the sperm to reach the uterus. Regarding date of ovulation, if your cycle is regular between 28-35 days, then the days of ovulation are usually between the 11th to the 17th day from the starting day of the cycle (first day of your menses).

We notice that you are a little bit overweight, and we always advise women to reduce weight if they want to get pregnant. This will help ovulation.

Regarding your husband, is he taking eltroxin since childhood, or is this recent? If the former, he should have a semen analysis done these days, if not, we just advise you to enjoy your new marital life.

Wassalamu alaikum.

Name Haytham -
Profession
Question
Dear Dr. Hesham

How can the Pre-implantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD) test help in the cases of repeated failed IVF cycles. Is it possible to do it in Egypt. If yes, what is the cost of this test

Thanks..

Haytham

Answer
Dear Haytham,

Assalamu alaikum.

Repeated failure of IVF cycles can be attributed to chromosomal anomalies in the embryos (developmental abnormality) and thus PGD can help in selecting the normal from the abnormal embryo. In this case, only normal embryos are transferred to the mother and this is how PGD can help. It is a matter of selecting the best embryo.

It can be done in Egypt in very very few centers and it is extremely expensive. It could reach up to 12,000 Egyptian pounds. I hope you achieve your beautiful dream soon.

Note: PGD is an abbreviation for pre-implantation genetic diagnosis, which is a technique to obtain a few cells from the embryo and then these cells are tested for specific anomalies.

Name HR -
Profession
Question
Assalamualaikum

If I'm not mistaken, I think we may forward our questions through this section. Otherwise, if it's not allowed, please accept my apologies. Else if you could your side help in sending my question, I'd be most grateful.

Alhamdullillah my wedding is nearing its 2 years. I have so far never been pregnant during such time and am yearning to become a mother. My husband and I have tried so many times in vain. I got a delay of one week only once in my period but was not pregnant. We also visited our gynecologist who prescribed serophene which did not work. I'm too afraid to continue these medicaments as I am scared that I may have ovary enlargement which could be a problem to my health due to the fact that I am a thin woman. I also suffered thrice from ovary cyst. I've heard many times that there are some midwives who try to massage women who haven't been able to conceive after many years of marriage and who have tried other fertility treatments. These midwives massage these women, heat them using charcoal. We decide to opt for this solution. An old midwife tried it with me there has been 2 months - this old woman has been practicing this method on women for more than 30 years and she said that by Allah's grace many women have conceived. She massaged me on the 1st day of my mense up to the 6th day. But she told us to have intercourse on the six day itself because there is great chance when the sperm would swim into the fallopian tube, the yellow fluid that a woman's secretes after mense would catch hold of and help the sperm into the ovum. This is the way where many women have become pregnant. But my husband and I did not act upon this because for some women their mense stop after 5 days, others 6 and other 7/8. Mine sometimes stops after 5 or 6 or 7. When she did her treatment on me, my mense lasted for 7 days. I took my ghusal then we had intercourse. I told her what we did but said that we ought to have had intercourse on the 6th itself. Anyway, I thought even though I would be pregnant but unfortunately. But how can we have intercourse when on the 5th or 6th my mense keeps flowing though the blood is lightest (not red but light brown) to the 1st day cycle. My conscience hasn't allowed me to do that. Now I am putting my question. In my case, where I am unable to conceive, can we resort to such means. Please don't be angry because I know that Allah has forbidden the husband to approach his menstrual wife until she is completely clean and performs the ghusl. Only asking you whether according to Islamic jurists, can such thing be allowed. You know I want to feel the moment of a mother waiting for the arrival of her newborn. I just can't help seeing pregnant women and envy them. I have been reading Allah's Great Name - Yaa Awwalu after Maghrib prayer to conceive. Can you please suggest if above way (the massage I mean) could be okay and advise me some ways. May Allah bless you for your efforts in helping us boosting our morals. Jazak Allah.

Answer
Dear Sister,

Assalamu alaikum. First of all, you didn't mention your age and this is very important in deciding which way we should follow regarding helping you getting pregnant.

Second of all, you asked us for a fatwa, and we are not qualified to issue one, so we would prefer if you direct that specific part of your question to IslamOnline's Ask the Scholar section.

Thirdly, medically, we can recognize the wisdom behind not having intercourse during menses because it can invite infection to the pelvic organs. At the same time it could produce what is called endometriosis, which by itself could prevent future pregnancy. So, medically we don't advise at all to have intercourse during the menses.

Fourthly, the traditional way you described has no medical basis at all. So we cannot comment on it.

Lastly, don't be afraid of medications prescribed by professional doctors because these medications have been tested several years ago, and reviewed every now and then for their safety. We can reassure you that it is safe to take medications under the supervision of your gynecologist.

Name Salina -
Profession
Question
Dear brothers and Sisters,

I am writing to enquire about weight loss tips. I am two and half stones overweight. Most of my weight gain was during my two preganacies. In my last pregnancy i put on four stones and have managed to lose two stones, most of which was water, but seventeen months on i am still two stones overweight. I have tried the herballife diet, Atkins diet, Cabbage soup diet, detox diet and I exercise regularly as well look after two young children. My weght is not dropping and it is beginning to depress me. Please could you advice me on my problem and give me a diet plan or suggestions on which foods to eat that help burn fat or block build up of fats.

Answer
Sister,

Thank you for asking, but unfortunately this is outside of our scope of profession. We cannot help you much but we can ask you to direct this question to a dietician.

Name nisya - Malaysia
Profession student
Question
Is it possible to a mother to satisfy their child need first or to perform fardu prayer first because her child is too thirsty or hungry?

Answer
Dear Sister,

Assalamu alaikum.

Islam is a religion of life and the mother-child bond is one of the most basic relationships that Islam always respects.

Regarding prayer, there is usually ample time for you to pray. So, we may advise you to satisfy your baby's needs and go immediately after that to pray. In this case you will be able to pray sincerefully with peace of mind.

Name Rahmat -
Profession
Question
Assalamu'alaikum,

I'd like to know about planned induced labor (for the sake of convenience).We have 2 older children & no extended family around to help with the coming baby. This induced labor will be done at the 39th week of pregnancy, and now my wife is in her 38th week.

Thank you.

Answer
Sir,

Assalamu alaikum. Inducing labor is usually done for medical indications, but for social indications it is left to both the husband and wife to take this decision and to their doctor to approve their decision. It is a must for the doctor to be sure that the baby is mature, and usually this is the condition after 38 weeks of pregnancy.

However, you should note the following: that induced labor has some advantages like increased probability of ending delivery by caesarean section (delivery by an operation).

Moreover, there is an increased incidence that the baby may get jaundiced (yellowish discoloration) on the 3rd to the 4th day of delivery. There is a remote possibility that the baby may also need an intensive care unit.

So, if it is just for convenience we would prefer you to wait till natural labor pains start.

May God grant you a safe delivery and a healthy child.

Name rehana - Canada
Profession
Question
Asalaamu alaikum..

Please explain to me the situation of a woman giving birth in her 40's Is it possible and if so will she be in any danger?

Answer
Sister,

Assalamu alaikum.

Women over 40 getting pregnant are called elderly gravida in the medical profession. They need special ante-natal care (monitoring of pregnancy) with visits every two weeks to the doctor or to the mid-wife to ensure that everything is going well. This is because women over 40 are more liable to develop hypertension, diabetes and liver problems during pregnancy. Most importantly their babies may suffer from decreased nutrition.

Accordingly, we are dealing with pregnant women over 40 as two persons: the mother and the baby.

During labor, there should be more attention to the fetal well-being (fetal heart rate), because it is more liable to be distressed during contractions.

If the woman is pregnant for the first time over 40, the probability of caesarean section is markedly increased.

Lastly if you are still in the first three months of pregnancy, you should do a detailed fetal anatomy survey using ultrasound to detect if there are any abnormalities.

May Allah bless you.

Name rehana - Canada
Profession
Question
Asalaamu alaikum..

Dr. HK please try to answer my previous question. I am 42 and want to get pregnant. Is it possible? What will be the precausion?

Answer
Dear Sister,

Assalamu alaikum.

First of all, you have to do a hormonal analysis for the hormone called FSH (follicle stimulating hormone). This hormone will indicate how fertile you are. If it is within normal range, then we would like to advise you to try assisted reproduction to achieve your motherhood dream. This is because fecundability (the chance to get pregnant) is very low after 40 years of age for natural conception, and may reach 10% chance of conception if you use assisted reproduction like invitro fertilization.

Name Ahmad - United States
Profession Student
Question
What say you about the attempts by an Israeli company to sell chewing gum to Egyptians that removes the male urge to reproduce so as to depopulate the Muslims?

Answer
I have no information on the matter you bring up. If you have documented details please send them to IslamOnline's Health & Science editor at: ScienceTech@islam-online.net.

Name haytham - Germany
Profession engineer
Question
Dear Dr. Hesham..

about the PGD test cost, the cost of 12000 pound is only of the PGD TEST or including the cost of the associated IVF cycle.

Answer
Haytham,

The price includes both the PGD test and the In Vitro Fertilization procedure, but this price does not include the medications needed to stimulate the ovaries.

Name Mr. - India
Profession
Question
What is the normal seman count required for a healthy man? What should be the motility required?

Answer
Brother,

Assalamu alaikum. It is well agreed by all scientists that the minimum sperm count required to achieve natural pregnancy is 20 million sperm per milliliter semen, and at least 40% of the these sperms should motile and their movement should be directed forward (progressive motility). Also there is an important parameter which the percent of abnormal sperms. If more than 70% of the sperms are abnormal, this is considered as a low quality semen.

However, it should be clear that there is a wide variation in the semen analysis for the same person in different times. That's why we always advise men to have three semen samples tested before reaching a conclusion.

Name Dounia -
Profession
Question
Dear Scholar Assalamu Alaikum,

I have been trying to get pregnant since last year (september 2002) but always in vain. After a spermogramm, it was reveales that my husband has a high leverl of abnormal sperms. I am to do a hormonal analysis in the coming months. If everything is OK for me, will artificial inseminitation in a laboratory be sufficient for me to become pregnant?

Thanks a lot..

Answer
Sister,

Assalamu alaikum.

If the abnormal sperms form less than 70% of all sperms in the sample, then the spermogram is OK and you shouldn't be worried about the abnormal sperms.

If the abnormal sperms are more than 70%, then artificial insemination is a good option for you, especially if you are less than 35 years old.

Usually, abnormal sperms do not come alone. There should be in the spermogram that you haven't mentioned. Are there any pus cells in the spermogram? How is the progressive movement of sperms? Is it over 40% in the first hour? You didn't mention any of that.

I would like you to know that 80% of married women get pregnant in the first year of marriage, and 90% of them get pregnant within 1 1/2 years of their marriage. So we hope that you would be amongst the women that get pregnant in the first year and a half.

Finally, in the past ten years, there has been tremendous progress in the field of assisted reproduction, and we may assume that delayed conception due to the husband can always be treated inshallah.

Name kazi - Malaysia
Profession press correspondent
Question
Salam dear Doctor,

I would want to know if there are ways to prevent a mother from going through ceasarean? In many cases, doctors in this country urge birth to be carried out by ceasarean. Can this be avoided? What are the reasons for ceasarean birth? Thanks and take care, May Allah bless you.

Salam..

Answer
Brother,

Assalamu alaikum. It's always right to put your trust in your doctor. But it's always needed to understand the doctor's decisions and advice.

Caesarean sections are considered nowadays as a safe operation. But it is still an operation and vaginal delivery is a natural way for delivery. Accordingly, caesarean section should be the exception. If the doctor advises a caesarean section, then he should explain why.

There are many indications for this operation that aim to keep the mother and baby safe. For example, if the pelvis of the mother is narrow, the baby cannot pass through it. If the mother had a previous caesarean section, then the chance to have a repeated section is 70%. If there is abnormal bleeding from the mother (antepartum hemorrhage) then caesarean section (CS) is done to save her life. If the baby cannot have adequate oxygen (intrapartum asphyxia) then CS would save his/her life.

There are many many other medical indications but there is no way to predict whether the mother will deliver normally or by CS. However, there are some criteria that could indicate the possibility of vaginal delivery, like the descent of the baby's head in the pelvis, and the moderate size of the baby would help in this.

If the baby is in an abnormal position not presenting for example by the head, then CS is indicated.

Finally, it is necessary to build a doctor-patient relationship based on discussion.

Name Sherina - Canada
Profession Student
Question
AssalamuAlaikum Doctor,

1 year 5 months ago I give birth to a baby girl by c-section. I did not bleed much after, during the 40 days after. And I did not get my period since then except just a couple months ago a few drops comes now and then. I am not using any contraceptive and I am not getting pregnant. I am still breastfeeding. They also took out my inflamed appendix during the c-section. I am wondering if i would have problems getting pregnant again?

Answer
Sister,

Assalamu alaikum.

Why worry? There is no reason that would make you think that there might be a future problem in getting pregnant.

In more than 25% of breast-feeding mothers, menstruation is not experienced, for the first year. Then the body starts to adapt to the process of breast-feeding and the ovaries start to work again. I guess this is what happened to you. Your ovaries started to work again and menses, even though in small drops, will eventually come. The possibility that you may get pregnant is high.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.