/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 'Weak' earthquake hits Midlands

FatimaAsSideqah
10-26-2008, 09:17 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

An earthquake measuring 3.6 on the Richter scale has been felt in Herefordshire.

The epicentre was 6km from Bromyard at 1806 GMT and was described as "weak" by the British Geological Survey (BGS).

Sandra Green in Tenbury Wells, Worcestershire, told the BBC she felt a "thud through the whole house".

The BGS is monitoring the area in case there are aftershocks. Seismologist David Galloway said: "It's really a case of wait and see."

"People have described it as a lorry crashing in to the side of their house and on analysis of our instruments there has been an earthquake of 3.6 on the Richter Scale." he said.

"We record about 200 earthquakes a year but most go unnoticed by the general public. One or two a month are felt and this was quite widely felt."

Heather Blevins, 43, of Holmfirth Place, Belmont, Herefordshire, said "the whole house shook" but nothing was damaged.

Police received reports of it affecting an area between Malvern and Worcester.

Mr Galloway said: "The cause of the earthquake is that we live on a dynamic planet and these plates are moving all over the world and this creates stress in the rocks.

"We are in the middle of one of these plates so we don't get the earthquakes like they do in Japan or Turkey."

Source from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7692225.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
buddy1
10-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Wicked, i wish i was there!!! must me so strange to feel!!

however it is slightly worrying as we have a had more lately and i think its starting to show what we are doing to this country with pollution, global warming etc!

FatimaAsSideqah
10-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Yeah true. Lately, its started to more small earthquakes and thats bit worryingly.

I just curious if anyone who lives in that area that could be feel effect by earthquake.

Brother_Mujahid
10-26-2008, 09:30 PM
ohhhhhhhhh so thats what that shaking was.... i actually thought at the time is this going to be another earthquake. But i managed to convice myself it wasn't.

format_quote Originally Posted by buddy1
with pollution, global warming etc!
That doesn't affect the earths seismic activity.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
buddy1
10-27-2008, 03:59 PM
I dont think it helps though!!!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.