/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Praying by the fire

innocent
10-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Is it wrong to pray in front of a fire. Our fireplace is almost directly in front when I pray. Is it wrong to have the fire on when I pray. My husband said I couldnt pray with the fire in front of me.
Thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The Khan
10-27-2008, 08:12 PM
:sl:

The Zoroastrians pray in front of a fire, 5 times a day. They consider it their Qibla and that it represents Ahura Mazda's ("wise Lord") purity.

In the 9th century, a group from historical Bahrain (Eastern Saudi Arabia which ranges from Basra to the island of Bahrain) called the Qarmatians popped up, who used a freed Persian slave as their Mahdi. This Persian slave started cursing Muhammed (S) and the Ahl-ul-Bayt (astaghfirullah), and changed the Qibla from Mecca to Fire. He also ordered that the black stone be stolen from the Ka'aba (one of the factors why it's in pieces today) and ordered Haj pilgrims killed, and their bodies thrown into the Zamzam well.

Considering both these factors, I would personally not recommend praying towards a source of fire. For example, there's a flower pot in between my mother and the Qibla when she prays, however, I have expressed my views in regard to this. I pray a few feet away from the flower pot, as I consider having it between the Qibla (when it is visible to the naked eye) as a form of animism (idolatry in the Islamic sense). I consider worshiping a source of fire as also a form of animism. However, that's my opinion. I don't know what others might think.

Please note that I am not a scholar, and that my views don't carry even 1/1000th of the weight their words carry as far as the majority of Muslims are concerned.

Ali.
10-27-2008, 08:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Khan
Considering both these factors
But her intention is not to pray to fire, astaghfirullah.

I think it's OK to, obviously as long as your intentions are to pray in the direction of Makkah and not to the fire. Allahu a'lim though.

The Khan
10-27-2008, 08:20 PM
Yes, true, you are right brother. That's why I don't tell my mother that she's committing idolatry, because her intention is to pray to Allah (SWT). I just avoid having any such thing visible to my naked eye when I'm praying towards the Qibla. Better to be safe than sorry.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ali_Cena
10-31-2008, 03:00 PM
it is about the intention i think.

The Khan
11-02-2008, 06:18 AM
In that case, Zoroastrians also don't intend to pray to fire. It's just their Qibla. Yet, they are not called ahl ul-kitab. They believe in one God. They pray through the archangels, the amesha spentas and the ahuras. However, that's just similar to Christians praying via Jesus (pbuh). They use icons to represent them just like how Christians use icons like a cross or crucifix.

Praying towards fire is animism. Let's put it this way, if you're praying towards a portrait of a person, but you don't intend to, all Muslims unanimously consider it as idolatry. So why not fire? Why not water (Zoroastrians pray towards water too at times, other times towards the Sun)? Fire veneration plays an important role in all polytheistic and animistic religions.

To put it straight, if you're locked in prison and there are idols/images around you and you have to pray salat, you can't help it. However, if you can avoid it, it's a different matter entirely.

fouzie
11-16-2008, 03:59 PM
:sl:
It's better that you don't pray in front of the fire. better safe than sorry..

May Allah forgive you and lead you tho HIS way.
:w:

Saimah Ali
11-16-2008, 04:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali_Cena
it is about the intention i think.
Agreed!

Please people, don't become extremists. Religion is very easy, do not burden yourself with it!

DCseeker71
11-21-2008, 09:21 PM
“All actions are judged by motives, and each person will be rewarded according to their intention."
(Saheeh Al-Bukhari, Saheeh Muslim)
"This hadeeth is indeed one of the greatest and most important of the sayings of Prophet Muhammad, may the mercy and blessings of God be upon him"

The Shah
12-22-2008, 02:42 AM
The Khan _ can i just ask something are you iranian ?? seem to know alot about the zoroastrians who existed in iran ( persia ) and ur sig mate ~~

? just curious

suffiyan007
12-22-2008, 06:02 AM
fire is the sign of syaitan...so dont pray by the fire...very dangerous...!
cause is like the fire religion...zeus...and etc...just pray like muhammad SAW prayed. thank you.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.