/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Im so confused I don't know what i want to do!

anonymous
10-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Salam sisters and bros,

First of all I apolgise if this is too long. Next year inshallah I will be at uni and we have been doing UCAS for the past 2 months and I've done everything apart from the paying part. I choose Psychology as the degree that i wanted to pick but the reason i choose it was because I don't enjoy anything else and as I do psych in A levels there are some parts I like. However now i'm starting to feel like I made a mistake and I don't know if i can go back and change it...I have no idea what I want to do but I have to quickly make a choice before the half terms over.

If this makes sense i'm not saying i don't definetly want to not do psychology but im not passionate about it either. Everyone says do something you enjoy and I'm going to sound like a saddo fo this but I don't really enjoy anything:cry:

I have lately being thinking about doing an Islamic degree but as I'm a girl I can't go abroad to study and I don't know about Universitys in London which do Islamic studies. I checked the UCAS site and when i typed Islam as a subject i got religious and theological studies or something along those lines. I'm so confused I don't want to regret this decision my whole life or whatever. I've also been thinking lately inshallah when I get married I obviously want to stat and look after my kidsand hows a psychology degree going to be useful is it just going to be 4 yrs of my life down the drain????

Thank-you for reading please advise me i feel so lost and since my parents haven't been to uni they can't help me and since their not parents who really tell me to do a certain thing I feel like i gotta make this choice on my own!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mikayeel
10-28-2008, 04:59 PM
:sl:

Thread approved

Re.TiReD
10-28-2008, 05:43 PM
:salamext:

Sis....you sound as confused as I did 2 years ago...And I'm now in the 2nd year of my degree and I'm enjoying it alhamdulillah.

Yeah I didnt know what I wanted to do either, and right up until I first stepped into that lecture theatre, I was apprehensive...didnt know what to expect and whether or not I would like it. But...you can learn to like anything once you get into it...

Ask family and friends for advice sis....make Istikharah, don't think it's too late .... some people dont even apply through ucas....they call up after they've received their results, go through clearing and end up on a pretty good course masha'Allah. Not that I'm saying you should do that....Just that you do have time stilll...

And sis, Hmm actually you might be a bro...sorry :-[ well anyway, I'm not sure what everybody else thinks but my dad always tells me, education is precious....no matter what you study, you can always take some benefit from it, if not religious then at least it'll give you some experience, it'll increase you in wisdom in some way or another. So no matter what you do, it has the potential to be great no matter what it is. Wallahu A'lam

WassalamuAlaykum

The Ruler
10-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Islamic Studies at the Islamic College for Advanced Studies

I can't really give you much information as I don't know where you might want to apply. For example you might want to apply to universities only in London, or somewhere up north. Perhaps you're willing to stay in the campus instead. I don't know. If you could let me know, I might be able to find Islamic courses at universities.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
anonymous
10-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Salam

Jazakalakhair to you both I'm looking at uni's in London only as I want to live at home.

JolieFleur i'm a sis...im applyng through UCAS but inshallah I want to go through clearing later on as my AS results weren't that great and I'm going to be doing many resist's in Jan. Sorry sis can i ask you another question I don't know how to make Istikharah i looked at my hisnul muslim and theres a dua you have to recite butwhat if i can't read arabic so i won't be able to read the dua properly and i'll be reading straight from the book is that bad?

Thank-you both so much if i was a member on this board I would so rep you instead something better I hope we meet in Jannatul Firdauws inshallah

FatimaAsSideqah
10-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Istikharah means, "seeking the best course of action." In Islam, it is used for approaching Allah Taala through prayer for guidance in a case when one cannot make up his mind. It should, however, be pointed out, that applies strictly to cases that are halal (lawful or permissible), since there cannot be a question of choice concerning matters that are considered haram (unlalwful or impermissible).

You can do pray two rak’ahs of non-obligatory prayer. This is mentioned to make it clear that it does not mean fajr prayer, for example.

Al-Nawawi said in al-Adhkaar: He can pray istikaarah after two rak’ahs of regular sunnah prayer done at zuhr for example, or after two rak’ahs of any naafil prayers whether they are regularly performed or not… It seems to be the case that if he made the intention to pray istikhaarah at the same time as intending to pray that particular prayer, this is fine, but not if he did not have this intention.

The following contains the dua of Istikharah in clear Arabic and also its translation in English:

O Allah! I seek Your guidance (in making a choice) by virtue of Your knowledge, and I seek ability by virtue of Your power, and I ask You of Your great bounty. You have power, I have none. And You know, I know not. You are the Knower of hidden things.

O Allah! If in Your knowledge, (this matter) is good for my religion, my livelihood and my affairs; immediate and in the distant, then ordain for me, make it easy for me and bless it for me. And if in Your knolwedge, (this matter) is bad for my religion, my livelihood and my affairs; immediate and in the distant, then turn it away from me, and turn me away from it. And ordain for me the good wherever it be and make me pleased with it.

Re.TiReD
10-28-2008, 06:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
Salam

Jazakalakhair to you both I'm looking at uni's in London only as I want to live at home.

JolieFleur i'm a sis...im applyng through UCAS but inshallah I want to go through clearing later on as my AS results weren't that great and I'm going to be doing many resist's in Jan. Sorry sis can i ask you another question I don't know how to make Istikharah i looked at my hisnul muslim and theres a dua you have to recite butwhat if i can't read arabic so i won't be able to read the dua properly and i'll be reading straight from the book is that bad?

Thank-you both so much if i was a member on this board I would so rep you instead something better I hope we meet in Jannatul Firdauws inshallah
:wasalamex

Aww I wish you all the best sis.

read this insha'Allah: http://www.islamicboard.com/advice-s...-guidance.html

The Ruler
10-28-2008, 06:40 PM
- http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsr...s.run?n=905875

- http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsr...s.run?n=925885

Most of the other courses seem to have thology and ethics along with religion.

anonymous
10-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Salam sis so you know the dua would it be ok if i read it in English or do i have to read it in Arabic and if i have to read it in arabic you know the part were it says (in making a choice) and (this matter) can I say at least that part in English? So i could pray Istikarrah now if i wanted?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.