/* */

PDA

View Full Version : US Student Faces Murder Trial in ItalyBy MARTA FALCONI, AP

جوري
10-29-2008, 04:32 PM
US Student Faces Murder Trial in ItalyBy MARTA FALCONI, AP
posted: 15 HOURS 28 MINUTES AGOcomments: 239filed under: Crime News, World NewsPrintShareText SizeAAAPERUGIA, Italy (Oct. 28) - An American college student and her former boyfriend were ordered Tuesday to stand trial in last year's slaying of her roommate, while the judge also convicted an Ivory Coast man in the killing, lawyers said.
The judge indicted Amanda Knox, 21, of Seattle and Raffaele Sollecito of Italy on charges of murder and sexual violence in the stabbing death of Meredith Kercher of England, said Francesco Maresca, a lawyer for the victim's family. Trial for the two, who deny wrongdoing, will start Dec. 4.
Study Abroad Turns ViolentPier Paolo Cito, AP6 photos American college student Amanda Knox was ordered Tuesday to stand trial in the slaying of her British roommate. An Italian judge indicted Knox, shown on her way to a Sept. 26 court hearing, and her Italian ex-boyfriend on charges of murder and sexual violence in the death of Meredith Kercher. A third suspect, a West African man, was convicted of the same charges, lawyers said.

A third suspect, Rudy Hermann Guede of the West African nation of Ivory Coast, was sentenced to 30 years in prison after being convicted on the same charges in a fast-track trial requested by his defense, Maresca said. Prosecutors asked for life in jail.
Knox's attorney, Luciano Ghirga, said his client "was quite disappointed" by the ruling. "She is ready to start again," Ghirga told reporters. "The (first) hearing is very close, we have to reorganize our defense line in time."
Judge Paolo Micheli emerged with a verdict after almost 12 of hours of deliberations. All the proceedings were held behind closed doors and the three suspects awaited the ruling in separate cells at the courthouse.
Lawyers for Knox and Sollecito, who were jailed shortly after the slaying last Nov. 2, had asked that their clients be granted house arrest if indicted. Lawyers leaving the courthouse said Micheli did not rule on the request and a decision was expected in the coming days. If convicted, Knox and Sollecito could face life in prison.
Kercher's family, including her mother, father, two brothers and a sister attended the hearing.
"We are as pleased as we can be with the decision. At the end of the day, we are here because our sister Meredith was murdered," brother Lyle Kercher said at a news conference.
The victim's other brother, John, said he was "overwhelmed" when the judge handed down the guilty verdict for Guede.
Knox's divorced parents, Curt Knox and Edda Mellas, said in a statement they were "extremely disappointed and surprised" by the judge's decision, "given the weakness of the evidence against" their daughter.
"We believe that she will eventually be proven innocent of all charges against her and we will support her in every way possible as we work toward her complete exoneration," the parents said.
Kercher, a 21-year-old student from England, was found dead in the apartment she shared with Knox. She had been stabbed in the neck.
Prosecutors allege Kercher died during what began as a sex game, with Sollecito holding her by the shoulders from behind while Knox touched her with the point of a knife and Guede tried to sexually assault her. Prosecutors say Knox then fatally stabbed Kercher in the throat.
Guede, also 21, admitted being in the house, but denied any part in the killing. He said that he was in the bathroom when Kercher was attacked and that he rushed into the bedroom to try to rescue her. He said he fled Italy after the slaying because he was frightened. Guede's defense said it would appeal the verdict.
Sollecito, 24, has said that he was in his own apartment in Perugia at the time of the killing and that he doesn't remember if Knox spent part or all of that night with him.
Knox initially told investigators she was in the apartment when Kercher was killed and covered her ears against the victim's screams. Later, Knox said she wasn't in the house.
Prosecutors say Knox's DNA was found on the handle of a knife that might have been used in the slaying, while Kercher's DNA was found on the blade.
They say they found Sollecito's DNA on the victim's bra, although Sollecito's defense team says the bra bore multiple DNA traces and argue the evidence might have been inadvertently contaminated during the investigation.
Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
2008-10-28 17:13:54

Click me for source and pics

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
10-29-2008, 06:50 PM
No one as amused as I am by this?

rpwelton
10-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Oddly enough this girl went to the same university as I did. What a bizarre crime though, I must say. I remember when it was all over the local news here, and I had since forgotten about it.

Güven
10-29-2008, 07:05 PM
This is Insanity !

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
10-29-2008, 07:08 PM
meh.. I just think they will let the west African dude suffer, while the upwardly mobile chick and the son of a 'famous urologist' scot free for obvious reasons....

I can't say that I am surprised anymore by what folks do, especially post reading of that Austrian who imprisoned his daughter in the basement while having an incestual relation with her...

sick world we live in!

Güven
10-29-2008, 07:12 PM
yeah its a quite rascist what they did there
it realy is a sick world there are alots of news here that people are raping their OWN child ,daym.... this is not even human any more....
even Animals Are million times better !!!...subhanAllah

Izyan
10-29-2008, 07:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
meh.. I just think they will let the west African dude suffer, while the upwardly mobile chick and the son of a 'famous urologist' scot free for obvious reasons....

I can't say that I am surprised anymore by what folks do, especially post reading of that Austrian who imprisoned his daughter in the basement while having an incestual relation with her...

sick world we live in!
I know like the Muslim Cleric that married the 12 year old girl. Sick

Report: Muslim cleric marries childArticle from: Font size:

Submit comment October 26, 2008 12:00am
AN Indonesian child protection agency is investigating reports of a marriage between a Muslim cleric and a 12-year-old girl, the Jakarta Post newspaper reports.

The newspaper said the 43-year-old cleric from Central Java allegedly married the minor girl with her parents' consent in August and planned to marry two more girls, aged seven and nine.

The Government-backed Indonesian Child Protection Commission (KPAI) plans to question the cleric, the girl, her parents, the minister who married them and witnesses of the marriage.

Under the Indonesian law, a woman must be at least 16 years old to marry. Marriage with a minor carries a maximum of five years.

The cleric is a rich businessman who owns a Muslim boarding school in Central Java. He made headlines in local newspapers after donating billions of rupiah to the poor during the fasting month of Ramadan.

His first wife is 26.
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006003,00.html

Pk_#2
10-29-2008, 07:32 PM
Ah, I remember analysing that for school, so she finally gettin' dun for it den, good.

Muezzin
10-29-2008, 08:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
No one as amused as I am by this?
How so?

I remember there being a lot of coverage of the Kercher case a few months ago, in which all suspects claimed they were not present, or they were present but played no part, or they were too drunk to tell.

format_quote Originally Posted by Izyan
Relevance?

جوري
10-29-2008, 08:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
How so?
Hopefully in a negative fashion?

I remember there being a lot of coverage of the Kercher case a few months ago, in which all suspects claimed they were not present, or they were present but played no part, or they were too drunk to tell.
This is the first I have learned of it.... she has changed her story twice.. first she was in the house covering her ears, then she wasn't.. while the fellow she was with apparently suffered a psychogenic fugue.. tends to happen I suppose after one commits murder? but I am not an expert on that sort of thing...

:w:

جوري
10-29-2008, 08:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Izyan
How is it like it? did you fail the Mix-N-Match exercise in grade school?

Musaafirah
10-29-2008, 08:15 PM
I think the girl's lying. She blatantly had a part in the murder. But oh well. When it comes to getting out of a life sentence stories will be made up.
Izyan, what does that article have to do with this particular thread? :?

جوري
10-29-2008, 08:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafir
Izyan, what does that article have to do with this particular thread? :?
You must forgive him, he is always a little angry and a lot confused.. but he has recently shacked up with barrio so they can save on the weekly publication of trash to spam LI with...

:w:

Muezzin
10-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Guys, I don't want to delete posts and issue warnings.

It crashes the server and causes headaches.

Izyan
10-29-2008, 11:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
How so?

Relevance?
I thought we were talking about sick things people do? Skye brought up the Austrian I brought up the cleric

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.