/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Jewish God?

Yanal
11-01-2008, 12:39 AM
:w:
Is there a jewish god that they believe in?
:sl:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The Khan
11-01-2008, 01:21 AM

They believe in one God. They are monotheists.

These are the principles of the Jewish faith:

13 Principles of Faith:
I believe with perfect faith that the Creator, Blessed be His Name, is the Creator and Guide of everything that has been created; He alone has made, does make, and will make all things.
I believe with perfect faith that the Creator, Blessed be His Name, is One, and that there is no unity in any manner like His, and that He alone is our God, who was, and is, and will be.
I believe with perfect faith that the Creator, Blessed be His Name, has no body, and that He is free from all the properties of matter, and that there can be no (physical) comparison to Him whatsoever.
I believe with perfect faith that the Creator, Blessed be His Name, is the first and the last.
I believe with perfect faith that to the Creator, Blessed be His Name, and to Him alone, it is right to pray, and that it is not right to pray to any being besides Him.
I believe with perfect faith that all the words of the prophets are true.
I believe with perfect faith that the prophecy of Moses our teacher, peace be upon him, was true, and that he was the chief of the prophets, both those who preceded him and those who followed him.
I believe with perfect faith that the entire Torah that is now in our possession is the same that was given to Moses our teacher, peace be upon him.
I believe with perfect faith that this Torah will not be exchanged, and that there will never be any other Torah from the Creator, Blessed be His Name.
I believe with perfect faith that the Creator, Blessed be His Name, knows all the deeds of human beings and all their thoughts, as it is written, "Who fashioned the hearts of them all, Who comprehends all their actions" (Psalms 33:15).
I believe with perfect faith that the Creator, Blessed be His Name, rewards those who keep His commandments and punishes those that transgress them.
I believe with perfect faith in the coming of the Messiah; and even though he may tarry, nonetheless, I wait every day for his coming.
I believe with perfect faith that there will be a revival of the dead at the time when it shall please the Creator, Blessed be His name, and His mention shall be exalted for ever and ever.

barney
11-01-2008, 01:36 AM
He's called YHWH, or Jehova.
He , in my opinion, isnt that nice. Actually he's the antithisis of nice. It's a very good job indeed that he is fictinal otherwise the world would be in serious doo doo.

Yanal
11-01-2008, 01:42 AM
Jevoh what is the proof of god?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
The Khan
11-01-2008, 01:44 AM
God as described in the Old Testament is a vicious tyrant. God as described in the New Testament loves you all. Marcion of Sinope got so disillusioned by this, that he started his own church. He claimed that the creator God of the Old Testament is not the same as the God of the NT. He compiled his own Bible, which had the OT and all references to it omitted.

Jehovah is just the name the Jews & Samaritans (a break-away faction of the Jews) use for God.

barney
11-01-2008, 01:47 AM
You mean whats the proof that he exists?

Easy. Look at the amazing way that a flower is made....umm...ok well evolution explains that and creation too.

Jehova is proved by the bible which he inspired men to write. If he wasnt real then he couldnt have inspired men to write it!

Yanal
11-01-2008, 03:13 AM
Not as a man a Jewish god. In there religion Is God a human?

The Khan
11-01-2008, 03:20 AM
Not according to most of the Old Testament, except Genesis. In Genesis, God comes down to Earth and wrestles with Jacob, and Jacob almost defeats him, signifying anthropomorphic characteristics, ie, depicting God as a man-like figure.

"Then the man said, 'Your name will no longer be Jacob, but
Israel, because you have struggled with God and with men and
have overcome." (Genesis 32:28)

barney
11-01-2008, 03:53 AM
Yeah, Jacob must have had like a black belt in ninjitsu or something, although its hard to tell if he was fighting an angel or not.
Regardless he put Yahweh/ the angels hip outta joint. Surely worth a bit of kudos.

Whoever wrote that bit must have drunk quite a few bottles of holy spirit.

Yanal
11-01-2008, 04:02 AM
Who is Jacob? And didn't Prophet Musa come to pass the message to them then why do they belive in Jeovah? Thanks Barney in advance or anybody who answers.

barney
11-01-2008, 04:09 AM
Moses was "talking" to Jehova. Jehova is to the Jews what you guys call Allah, but obviously the portrayal of him is completly different in the Quran.

In the Torah, Yahweh/jehova wrote the 10 commandments up the mountain on rock and Moses carried them down (It took him 40 days), the rest of his laws he transmitted to Moses but only Moses and his son could hear him. Moses described to the Jews what Jehova had said. it's all listed in the Books Leviticus, Deutronomy and Exodus in the Bible.

The Khan
11-01-2008, 04:10 AM
Jacob is Yaqub (pbuh), Ibrahim's (pbuh) grandson.

Jehovah is the Hebrew name for Allah (SWT), just like how God is the english name for him.

Yanal
11-01-2008, 04:14 AM
Jazakallah. But did Jacob (as) fight Allah?

The Khan
11-01-2008, 04:17 AM
Nope. We believe it's a false slander against Allah (SWT) and Yaqub (pbuh). The Jews used that to justify that they're superior to everyone else. Ancient racism.

barney
11-01-2008, 04:18 AM
Jacob was the twin of Esau and Son of Issac. Esau was a hunter . Jacob kinda just hung around at home.
Esau came back one day and wanted some soup. Jacob swapped it for Esaus birthright. Which seemed a fair deal. it was tasty soup.

Rebekah his mum liked him best and they played all kinds of tricks on issac to fool him, like dressing up in a goat costume to get a one-shot blessing off Issac.

Its worth a read.

Yanal
11-01-2008, 04:32 AM
Do Muslims belive Jacob had a twin brother?

barney
11-01-2008, 04:50 AM
Genesis 28:9
So Esau went to Ishmael and chose for a wife, in addition to the other wives he had, Mahalath daughter of Abraham's son Ishmael.

Esau ended up marrying Hittite and Ishmaelite women, the poor old chap gets shot dead in the book of jubilees. (Guess by who?)

Yanal
11-01-2008, 04:54 AM
Jacob?...

The Khan
11-01-2008, 05:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Islamic Bro
Do Muslims belive Jacob had a twin brother?
There's no mention of it, as far as I know. I do know that Yusuf (pbuh) was his son.

Grace Seeker
11-01-2008, 05:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Khan
Jacob is Yaqub (pbuh), Ibrahim's (pbuh) grandson.

Jehovah is the Hebrew name for Allah (SWT), just like how God is the english name for him.
You've been doing pretty good on this, Khan. But, if you don't mind, a small correction on who uses the term Jehovah. No Jews that I know use this term. It is actually a concotted term created when trying to translate the God's name into English.

As Jews found God's name so sacred that they would not even speak it aloud, but always substituted the word "Lord" for it, and also because of it's sacred nature when writing it they would not write in the vowel marks, lest someone should be reading the Torah and accidently see the vowel marks and speak God's name, no one knew (or even today knows) exactly how to speak God's name -- the one he declared himself by to Moses. All that the translators of the first English bibles had was the tetragram of the Hebrew Bible, and those letters are YHWH. Because of irregularities in writing English script characters, they were at the time written as JHVH. But they still didn't have any vowels to put in with them, so the editors of the English Bible just decided to use the vowels from LORD and they ended up with Jehovah as the term used in the first English bibles, and the though most English bibles now use YAHWEH, the use of Jehovah has stuck for many groups of people. However, the Jews are not among that group. Jews still don't like using God's name, and so will continue to use euphemisms instead of referring to him directly. Some of our Jewish friends around here have explained this in the past, if I can find it, I'll provide a link.

You are correct in asserting that no Jew would ever conceive of God as a man (well, with the exception of the Jew, Jesus and his Jewish disciples, but now I'm showing my prejudices).

Yanal
11-01-2008, 05:15 AM
Oo.. I see JazakAllah Kayr everyone for answering. This thread can be taken by any person curious about Jedisiam ask a question and I think Barney or Khan will answer with Grace Seeker as the editor.:)

The Khan
11-01-2008, 05:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
You've been doing pretty good on this, Khan. But, if you don't mind, a small correction on who uses the term Jehovah. No Jews that I know use this term. It is actually a concotted term created when trying to translate the God's name into English.

As Jews found God's name so sacred that they would not even speak it aloud, but always substituted the word "Lord" for it, and also because of it's sacred nature when writing it they would not write in the vowel marks, lest someone should be reading the Torah and accidently see the vowel marks and speak God's name, no one knew (or even today knows) exactly how to speak God's name -- the one he declared himself by to Moses. All that the translators of the first English bibles had was the tetragram of the Hebrew Bible, and those letters are YHWH. Because of irregularities in writing English script characters, they were at the time written as JHVH. But they still didn't have any vowels to put in with them, so the editors of the English Bible just decided to use the vowels from LORD and they ended up with Jehovah as the term used in the first English bibles, and the though most English bibles now use YAHWEH, the use of Jehovah has stuck for many groups of people. However, the Jews are not among that group. Jews still don't like using God's name, and so will continue to use euphemisms instead of referring to him directly. Some of our Jewish friends around here have explained this in the past, if I can find it, I'll provide a link.

You are correct in asserting that no Jew would ever conceive of God as a man (well, with the exception of the Jew, Jesus and his Jewish disciples, but now I'm showing my prejudices).
Thanks, I totally forgot they don't utter his name. I recall the scene from Life of Brian.

--[As Brian and his mum come over the top of a hill, they see a large number
of people stoning some unfortunate. Mandy hurries Brian along to get to the
next victim in time. When he is, we see that he crowd consists entirely of
women wearing fake beards. An elder stands in front of the next prisoner
holding a scroll as he waits for the crowd to settle down.]

ELDER PRALINE
Matthias, son of Deuteronomy of Gath.

MATTHIAS
[to a guard] Do I say yes?

LIMESTONE
Yes.

MATTHIAS
[To the elder] Yes.

ELDER PRALINE
You have been found guilty by the elders of the town of uttering the name of
our lord, and so as a BLASPHEMER...

CROWD
Ooooh.

ELDER
... you are to be stoned to death!

--[The crowd looks anxious to kill Matthias, growling in a feminine way]

MATTHIAS
Look. I'd had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was 'That piece of
halibut was good enough for Jehovah'.

CROWD
Oooooooh!

ELDER PRALINE
BLASPHEMY!!!! He said it again!

CROWD
Yes! Yes, he did! He did!...

ELDER PRALINE
Did you hear him?

CROWD
Yes! Yes, we did! We did!...

MR. CINDY (high-pitched)
Really.

--[There is a moment of silence as the elder thinks, after hearing the
woman's voice.]

ELDER PRALINE
Are there any... women here today?

CROWD
(guilty mumbling)

ELDER PRALINE (convinced)
Very well. By virtue of the authority vested in me...

--[One of the more impatient women throws a stone and hits Matthias on the
head.]

MATTHIAS
Oh! Lay off... we haven't started yet.

ELDER PRALINE
Come on. Who threw that? Who threw that stone? Come on.

CROWD
She did! She did! Er, he, he, he, him, him, him, he did... [Their voices
drop as they realize their mistake.]

MR. STEPHANIE
Sorry, I thought we'd started.

ELDER PRALINE
Go to the back.

MR. STEPHANIE
Oh, dear.

ELDER PRALINE
Always one, isn't there? Now, where were we?

MATTHIAS
Look, I don't think it ought to be blasphemy, just saying Jehovah.

CROWD
[Shocked] He said it again!

ELDER PRALINE
You're only making it worse for yourself.

MATTHIAS
Making it worse? How could it be worse? Jehovah, Jehovah, Jehovah!!

CROWD
Oooooooh!

ELDER PRALINE
I'm warning you...! If you say Jehovah once more...
[A stone flies by and hits the elder.] Right. Who threw that? Come on. Who
threw that?

CROWD
She did! She did! Er, he, him, him, him, him, him, him...

ELDER
Was it you?

MR. VICTORIA
Yes.

ELDER
Right...

MR. VICTORIA
Well, you did say Jehovah. [She gets stoned]

ELDER (out of breath and furious)
Stop! Stop, will you?! Stop that! Stop it! Now, look! No one is to stone
anyone until I blow this whistle! Do you understand?! Even, and I want to
make this absolutely clear, even if they do say 'Jehovah'.

--[The women rapidly stone the elder to death, ending in the dropping of a
huge boulder on his fallen body. Much applause.]

Grace Seeker
11-01-2008, 05:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Islamic Bro
Jacob?...

I can't give you the names in Arabic, but in English (and according to Genesis) they are:

1) Abraham
Originally named Abram, but had his name changed to Abraham by God.
Married to Sarai.

Sarai couldn't conceive. So, Sarai suggested that Abraham have their child with Hagar, her maidservant, instead. Hagar gave birth to Ishmael.

Abraham loved Ishmael. Then finally, Abraham was promised by God that Sarai would give him a son, and that Sarai's name was to be changed to Sarah. On that day Abraham and Ishmael and every male in the household were circumcised, Abraham was 99 and Ishmael was 13.

Sarah gave birth to Isaac. Soon, Sarah got jealous and ordered Abraham to send Hagar and Ishmael away, which he did. When Isaac was older, according to the Torah, it was Isaac and not Ishmael that Abraham took to offer as a sacrifice and whom God saved by staying Abraham's hand and providing a ram as a substitute instead.

2) Isaac
Isaac's wife was Rebekah (several different spellings exist)
They had twin sons Jacob and Esau. Esau was the older by seconds, but he sold his birthright to his younger brother.

3) Jacob
Jacob had two wives, plus a couple of servant girls who all bore him children. A total of 12 sons in all. Jacob played favorites and it was no secret that his favorite son was Joseph, the oldest son of his favorite wife Rachel, even though the he had older sons from his first wife, Leah.

It was incorrectly reported above that Jacob wrestled with God and caused God's hip to be injured. Here is that part of the story as it occurs in the Bible:
Genesis 32
22 That night Jacob got up and took his two wives, his two maidservants and his eleven sons and crossed the ford of the Jabbok. 23 After he had sent them across the stream, he sent over all his possessions. 24 So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak. 25 When the man saw that he could not overpower him, he touched the socket of Jacob's hip so that his hip was wrenched as he wrestled with the man. 26 Then the man said, "Let me go, for it is daybreak."
But Jacob replied, "I will not let you go unless you bless me."
27 The man asked him, "What is your name?"
"Jacob," he answered.

28 Then the man said, "Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with men and have overcome."

29 Jacob said, "Please tell me your name."
But he replied, "Why do you ask my name?" Then he blessed him there.

30 So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, "It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared."

31 The sun rose above him as he passed Peniel, and he was limping because of his hip. 32 Therefore to this day the Israelites do not eat the tendon attached to the socket
All of this is more than 400 years before the time of Moses. Jacob (now called Israel, see the story above) makes his sons so jealous of Joseph that they conspire to kill him. But at the last second sell him into slavery instead. Joseph ends up in Egypt where he rises to a position of power second only to Pharoah. His good administrative skills and ability to interpret dreams help him to prepare the country for a severe famine, one so bad that his brothers come to Egypt to buy grain. They don't recognize Joseph, but he does them, and tricks them into getting Jacob to move the whole family to Egypt. But after Joseph dies, the Egyptians forget about what Joseph did and just treat all of the children of Israel like slaves.

4) Moses
And after 400 years of the children of Israel being treated like slaves in Egypt Moses is born. God raises him up to lead the great-great-great-grandchildren of Jacob (now become the nation of Israel) out of Egypt to the land the God originally sent Abraham to live in. Along the way God gives Moses the 10 Commandments and the rest of the Law for the people to live by. Moses himself can only take them to within sight of the land, it is Joshua who actually leads them in to possess the land.

Yanal
11-01-2008, 06:07 AM
JazakAllah Kayr.

barney
11-01-2008, 06:30 AM
Yup, life of Brian was well funny.

I had the Jehovas witnessess around for a couple of hours recently. We had a coffee and an extended chat.

They did leave looking rather worried and distressed, but i hope they'll come back soon. :D

ummzayd
11-01-2008, 10:07 AM

For those interested in comparative religion and Judaism in particular there is a nice resource here - a searchable Jewish encyclopaedia:

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/vi...id=52&letter=N

and it is open on an article about the names of God in Judaism

The Khan
11-01-2008, 10:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Yup, life of Brian was well funny.

I had the Jehovas witnessess around for a couple of hours recently. We had a coffee and an extended chat.

They did leave looking rather worried and distressed, but i hope they'll come back soon. :D
Sweet! I hope so too!

:bump1:

Sami234
11-05-2008, 04:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Khan

They believe in one God. They are monotheists.

These are the principles of the Jewish faith:

13 Principles of Faith:
I believe with perfect faith that the Creator, Blessed be His Name, is the Creator and Guide of everything that has been created; He alone has made, does make, and will make all things.
I believe with perfect faith that the Creator, Blessed be His Name, is One, and that there is no unity in any manner like His, and that He alone is our God, who was, and is, and will be.
I believe with perfect faith that the Creator, Blessed be His Name, has no body, and that He is free from all the properties of matter, and that there can be no (physical) comparison to Him whatsoever.
I believe with perfect faith that the Creator, Blessed be His Name, is the first and the last.
I believe with perfect faith that to the Creator, Blessed be His Name, and to Him alone, it is right to pray, and that it is not right to pray to any being besides Him.
I believe with perfect faith that all the words of the prophets are true.
I believe with perfect faith that the prophecy of Moses our teacher, peace be upon him, was true, and that he was the chief of the prophets, both those who preceded him and those who followed him.
I believe with perfect faith that the entire Torah that is now in our possession is the same that was given to Moses our teacher, peace be upon him.
I believe with perfect faith that this Torah will not be exchanged, and that there will never be any other Torah from the Creator, Blessed be His Name.
I believe with perfect faith that the Creator, Blessed be His Name, knows all the deeds of human beings and all their thoughts, as it is written, "Who fashioned the hearts of them all, Who comprehends all their actions" (Psalms 33:15).
I believe with perfect faith that the Creator, Blessed be His Name, rewards those who keep His commandments and punishes those that transgress them.
I believe with perfect faith in the coming of the Messiah; and even though he may tarry, nonetheless, I wait every day for his coming.
I believe with perfect faith that there will be a revival of the dead at the time when it shall please the Creator, Blessed be His name, and His mention shall be exalted for ever and ever.

It is really clear that the source of Judaism and Islam is the same. It's almost the same as islamic 'aqida.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.