/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How do you lose weight?

anonymous
11-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Hey People, I've been on various diets but nothing seems to work in Ramadan I always think I'm going to lose weight but actually end up putting on lots. Before anyone says ur probably not fat im 5'7 in height and weigh 12.5 and Im a girl. I hate being fat so much I've been to my doctor and he just tells me eat healthy and do exercise I know all that but I just feel so lazy never do any exercise and seem to be getting fatter my family all take the mick outta my weight and tell me I need to lose weight im obese blah blah blah. I need to lose 3 stones and a half but I just don't know were to begin. Please give me tips and advice!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Khadijah0529
11-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Hi Anonymous.

I used to be 13stones and too heavy for my height which is 5'3. My GP encouraged me to loose weight by eating healthy foods. I used to make excuses before like: my job as a nurse in a hospital, kids and household chores hence i need to eat more. I was basically fooling and conditioning myself that the way I am eating is okay. SO, i looked at the mirror and felt unhappy with the way I look. I started to diet. Morning I will have a brown toast with unsalted butter about half a teaspoon with sugar free jam plus my green tea or coffee. Lunch will be half a cup of rice (brown or white) and loads of vegetables (stir fry or steam) and a bit of meat then for I supper (i normally have it at work) i have my ready meal food which is about 350-450 calories. So for that day, I consumed around less than 1500 calories. My work will serve as my exercise (try working in A&E where you can hardly sit down!!!). After 1 month, I noticed that my energy level has increased and my clothes getting bigger for me. I was so happy and that made me more determined to loose further. I started dieting around March and by October, I lost 3 stones and started to exercise in the gym to tone my muscles. People complemented me with the weight lose. Just imagine I was size 18-20 and now, ALHAMDULILLAH I am now size 10-12 and weighs 9stones. I still have a long battle ahead of losing another half a stone to make it to my ideal body weight and maintaining it that way. It is a big struggle but with the help of family and friends you should be able to make it.

Abu Ilyas
11-01-2008, 02:38 PM
1) education
2) motivation
3) patience

Abu Ilyas
11-01-2008, 02:41 PM

Weight loss Tip No 1.

Instead of worrying
about losing weight,
concentrate on
Eating Healthily
You'll lose weight
much faster

Weight loss Tip No 2.

Don't go hungry
Hunger makes us fat

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sevgi
11-01-2008, 02:53 PM
hey anon dear,

I dont know the measures you guys use...we use kilograms and metres so yeah..

well im quite a short person...ive never been "fat fat"..but being turkish, your body just seems to know where to send that **** kebab:P

Ive never been happy with my weight..when i first started uni, i was 52-54 kilograms...i wud excercise a lot...and eat a little.

now, i study a lot...have no time to exercise...but i do not eat...hardly anything...i start a sandwich and leave it...take a spoon and give it away...im just like that...BUT regardless, i have put n crap loads of weight...

when i realised i was not happy, i spoke to one of my best frends who is now a practicing dietician. he didnt tell me to do anything...all he told me to do was to keep a food diary for him so he cud see my patterns and formulate a diet for me...so i had to be writing down anything which entred my mouth and at what times.

i began keeping it...monday, wednesday, friday and sunday...and what happened was that i gave up on giving the diary to him..i didnt need him anymore...i became so conscious of what i was eating...i knew what had to change. i still did no exercise....but i cut out all carbs....its all will power really...i lost seven kilos that way...slowly but surely...its all about patience and will power...

so sis..keep a food diary...you can show it to me or anyone around you (who u will be uncomfortable to show the daily burger intake to)....yur pattern will apear to you..u can tehn show it to me and i can help....or if you want a profes., u can always see a dietician.

and: u need to exercise....but if u are lazy....start with just the food diet..coz everytime u dnt exercise, u will also give up on the diet. start writing down what u eat....and gradually....try fitting in 20-30 mins a day of skipping? jogging? walking? anything really.

hope that helps.

peace!

sevgi
11-01-2008, 03:43 PM
edit

The Khan
11-01-2008, 04:42 PM
:sl:

Meal plan - fill your stomach with 1/3rd food, 1/3rd water, and leave 1/3rd empty.

Eat 3 meals only per day.

Make your food - 1/3rd carbohydrates (bread, pasta, etc), 1/3rd protein (meat, lentils, eggs), 1/3rd vegetables (assorted).

Eat no more than one fruit per day.

NO SUGAR. Your only source of sugar should be that 1 fruit. Make it a small one. Don't care about fats & calories, unless it's too much, sugar is what matters.

Exercise 1 hour per day. Avoid treadmill, do more of cycling.

Exercise pattern - Warmups (not part of 1 hour), I would recommend walking and something for the upper torso, some stretches. Cycling - 8 minutes. Followed by - pushups (wall pushups since you're a girl), situps, woodchopper (google), leg crunches (google), light weights (you don't want to be muscular now, do you?...), skipping, , NO STOMACH CRUNCHES WHATSOEVER, it doesn't make you lose weight, it's ONLY for abs. Then, I would recommend you go for a jog, in a natural surface, such as a mud track, a maximum of 10 minutes. Treadmill is evil. All exercises should be done in 2 sets, except jogging and cycling, which should be done once - pushups - situps - pushups - situps - woodchopper - leg crunches - ....etc. Do not do each more than 15 times, ie, 15 movements per set.

Inshallah, you will be of normal size in a few months.

{EDIT}

Come to think of it, end your exercise with another 5 minutes of exercising, no more. I would recommend you search on google for websites explaining all these exercises plus all the stretches you need to do afterwards, as you don't want to have any problems.

Muezzin
11-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Eat less. Exercise more.

Sounds glib, but it works. Sit-ups, press-ups. Jogging. The whole military workout thing is actually pretty dang good for getting you into shape.

Also, instead of snacking, drink water. Many times when we think we're hungry, we're actually thirsty. I don't know the science behind it, but I know it's true.

جوري
11-02-2008, 10:00 PM
there is a medication called orlistat in conjunction of diet and exercise can do a good job reducing your intake of fat.. it has in fact gone over the counter in the U.S.. not sure it is the case for the UK? if you decide to go on it, you must use some fat soluble vits as well (ADEK)

I notice many Muslim women being incredibly sedentary and down right chunky and I know they don't want to commit Haram?, at least that is the excuse I hear when advising on using the gym.. but walking or lightly jogging after fajr every motning I guarantee isn't Haram and will do you a world of difference... also you can invest in a treadmill and work three times a week x 45 mins..

secret is to find an exercise you actually like doing, otherwise you are likely to give up on it after a couple of times...

and Allah swt knows best

:w:

Güven
11-02-2008, 10:05 PM
:salamext:

The Heat, water and Walking....ALOTS of walking.

lol its sounds funny but it actually works :ooh:

innerawareness
11-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Dear Anon

All my friends are seriously impressed with my guaranteed weight loss strategy...I also used to be slight fat, but now....i think i'm soon gonna be on the cover of men's health

:)

...just need to work on the six pack, three more weeks.....

No, seriously....the BEST GUARANTEED WAY TO LOSE WEIGHT, MEAN TWO THINGS:

1. EAT HEALTHY (I.E NO ASAIN FOOD)
2. WEIGHT TRAINING

I religiously follow this book:

202 0286259 5775009?ieUTF8&ampn266239&ampsbooks&ampqid1225664505&ampsr8 2 -

Khadijah0529
11-02-2008, 10:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
there is a medication called orlistat in conjunction of diet and exercise can do a good job reducing your intake of fat.. it has in fact gone over the counter in the U.S.. not sure it is the case for the UK? if you decide to go on it, you must use some fat soluble vits as well (ADEK)

I notice many Muslim women being incredibly sedentary and down right chunky and I know they don't want to commit Haram?, at least that is the excuse I hear when advising on using the gym.. but walking or lightly jogging after fajr every motning I guarantee isn't Haram and will do you a world of difference... also you can invest in a treadmill and work three times a week x 45 mins..

secret is to find an exercise you actually like doing, otherwise you are likely to give up on it after a couple of times...

and Allah swt knows best

Salaam.

I did try Orlistat but to my chagrin, it makes you go to the toilet ASAP. You have to wear pads - incontinence pad (LOL!:-[) Your excrement is oily and s _ e_ _ y! Your life revolves around your room and toilet! :rollseyes. That is not the life you want...The best possible way is to eat healthy, stay focus on your aim to look good, feel good and lose weight and exercise more and be active:D

See the result in few weeks. MashAllah a new woman in you!

Mikayeel
11-02-2008, 10:57 PM
:sl:

A good diet! (depends on ur needs)
A good mentality
And plenty of excersie = the perfect way to lose weight.

جوري
11-02-2008, 11:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khadijah0529
Salaam.

I did try Orlistat but to my chagrin, it makes you go to the toilet ASAP. You have to wear pads - incontinence pad (LOL!:-[) Your excrement is oily and s _ e_ _ y! Your life revolves around your room and toilet! :rollseyes. That is not the life you want...The best possible way is to eat healthy, stay focus on your aim to look good, feel good and lose weight and exercise more and be active:D

See the result in few weeks. MashAllah a new woman in you!
salaamz dear ukhty, are you the original poster?

there is no substitute indeed for proper food and exercise but some people need the extra kick.. indeed orlistat will cause you oily stool as it blocks pancreatic enzymes from digesting the 1/3 the fat in your food, a result it comes out in the toilet rather than stored in the body.. but in and of itself a good lesson, a person may really reflect on the crap they are ingesting when they see the crap they are egesting if you'll pardon my forwardness--

when I advise people of prophetic food and medicine they agree whole heartedly but never actually go through with it.. Prophet Mohammes SAW never had a belly, was never out of shape, and in fact used to race with Aisha RA..

I find many Muslim sisters especially coming up with all sorts of excuses as to why they are overweight-- and some indeed have endocrine disorders.. but most are fat one burger at a time....

people don't like looking at it coming one end, but don't mind putting it through the other...

I merely suggested it as the lesser of many evils.. other weight loss products work on thyroxine and can in fact cause --DEATH..

over eating can also lead to ones demise... I don't want to be harsh, but exercise and eating right should be a necessity such as prayer, charity and fasting..

and Allah swt knows best

Khadijah0529
11-02-2008, 11:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
salaamz dear ukhty, are you the original poster?

there is no substitute indeed for proper food and exercise but some people need the extra kick.. indeed orlistat will cause you oily stool as it blocks pancreatic enzymes from digesting the 1/3 the fat in your food, a result it comes out in the toilet rather than stored in the body.. but in and of itself a good lesson, a person may really reflect on the crap they are ingesting when they see the crap they are egesting if you'll pardon my forwardness--

when I advise people of prophetic food and medicine they agree whole heartedly but never actually go through with it.. Prophet Mohammes SAW never had a belly, was never out of shape, and in fact used to race with Aisha RA..

I find many Muslim sisters especially coming up with all sorts of excuses as to why they are overweight-- and some indeed have endocrine disorders.. but most are fat one burger at a time....

people don't like looking at it coming one end, but don't mind putting it through the other...

I merely suggested it as the lesser of many evils.. other weight loss products work on thyroxine and can in fact cause --DEATH..

over eating can also lead to ones demise... I don't want to be harsh, but exercise and eating right should be a necessity such as prayer, charity and fasting..

and Allah swt knows best

Salaam Sister.

That was my original response to your advise about Orlistat prescription and unfortunately, the GP has to pescribe it and cannot be bought from the chemist as over the counter drug.

I agree with you that exercise and eating right is the answer. To kickstart your new way of life is to go back to basics - motivation and inspiration! Do you want to die young? (motivation) see your children grow and grow old gracefully with your hubby? (inspiration).:)

Shukran:thankyou:

Khadijah0529
11-02-2008, 11:50 PM
[QUOTE=innerawareness;1041764]Dear Anon

All my friends are seriously impressed with my guaranteed weight loss strategy...I also used to be slight fat, but now....i think i'm soon gonna be on the cover of men's health

:)

...just need to work on the six pack, three more weeks.....

No, seriously....the BEST GUARANTEED WAY TO LOSE WEIGHT, MEAN TWO THINGS:

1. EAT HEALTHY (I.E NO ASAIN FOOD)
2. WEIGHT TRAINING

Salaam Brother!

Part of my diet is Asian food but with a little bit of modification. Less rice(brown rice if possible), use low fat yoghurt, use palm or extra virgin olive oil instead of ghee and eat in moderation. Rice, being my staple food, is healthier compared to greasy naan. Unless you made it yourself then you know what sort of ingredients are being used. And yes, exercise...stretching, walking, resistance, cardio workout and even dancing (is it haram?) all females only!

shukran:thankyou:

جوري
11-03-2008, 12:01 AM
^^^ baraka Allah feeki..

this med is over the counter here in the U.S

Liberty
11-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Work on being more active dear.
Try to engage in sports or outside activities.
Also, I'm trying to get some toning lol and it's not easy waking up early morning to go for that jog.

jamak
11-11-2008, 05:58 AM
To lose weight, you need to keep this equation in mind...
Intake (calories) vs. usage (metabolism)

If calories are higher than what you burn, you gain. You lose weight if you do the reverse.

Not eating will decrease your metabolism. This is the reason you gained when you were fasting. Your bodies metabolic rate dropped during the day and then when you finally sit to eat at night, your body says "oh i better store everything i can" do you see the point i am trying to make?

you have to decrease your total daily cals but make sure you eat healthy; this is very tricky. You have to also make sure that you get enough protein so that you don’t break down muscle. If your weight loss ends up being muscle loss, you are in trouble because you’re not only getting unhealthy, but you’re also more likely to gain weight. Kind of the reverse of what you were trying to accomplish isn’t it?

So what do you do? a balance of protein and carbs, eat at least 6 times a day (this increases your metabolism), your total calories shouldn’t exceed what your goal is. You have to determine this by calculating your BMI and figuring it out (I will give you a tool in a minute don’t worry).

If you are looking for a solution that has taken care of all of this for you (out of the box) research a product called "Trim Slim Shape" by Visalus Sciences. I have seen amazing results with people who have stuck with it for at least a month. It is by far the healthies, most comprehensive solution on the market today.

You can read about it here:
http://healthwealthglobal.com/TSS

Now the BMI calculator and other tools. On that webpage, click on become a Free member. It will give you a month free membership where you can try all the tools Vi-Net has to offer.

I hope this has helped you a bit. Remember weight management take a change of life style and some discipline. You are not alone. 2/3 of the world's population struggles with weight issues. You should be proud of yourself for seeking a solution.

Good luck.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.